Default Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

For me it's the following:

DE 89 Jagger Safety Razor
    Feather Blades
    Taylors Of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream - Eaton College scent
    Alum Rock
    Palmer's Cocoa Butter Moisturiser For Men
    Eaton College Deodorant

And I'm ready to rock and roll, what's your set up?
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

Default Re: Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

For me I use:

Razor: Bevel Safety Razor - love the weight of this razor, it just shaves so wonderfully

Blades: Personna blades - haven't had a dud so far with them, and they glide so smoothly across my skin

Pre-Shave Oil: I've used Art of Shaving, Bevel, Proraso, all of them work equally well as a pre-shave oil. As long as it gives me some slickness on my skin for the blade to glide on, I'm happy.

Shaving Cream: Captain's Choice North shaving cream - love the gin smell, and it provides a decently slick coating

Aftershave: Captain's Choice North aftershave (for the scent), followed by Bevel's moisturizing restoring balm aftershave. Bevel's aftershave balm is the TRUTH. I've not used anything else that does a better job at preventing razor burn and rejuvenating and moisturizing my skin after a shave.

Other Implements:
    Captains Choice shaving bowl - the lather this thing whips up is nothing short of amazing. Great investment.
    Pure Badger brush - the coarse bristles work well with my coarse hair
    Alum block - for when I nick myself a bit too deeply, lol
    I buy fragrances that match my personality. I want to smell like I'll whisk you away with me on a weekend retreat to engage in an exciting adventure in parts unknown.

That's a very nice and complete set up you have there Kem.

You know sometimes I think I prefer a aftershave that compliments a shave in the morning than a regular edt. They never project too much or outstay there welcome.

I would wholeheartedly agree!

The Captain's Choice aftershave does have witch hazel in it, which is great for helping fight against razor burn and the alcohol in it acts a disinfectant. It doesn't do the best job at moisturizing, so that's where the Bevel comes in.

But the scent is the real reason I use it, I just love the North scent from Captain's Choice
    I buy fragrances that match my personality. I want to smell like I'll whisk you away with me on a weekend retreat to engage in an exciting adventure in parts unknown.

Keeping it simple and consisting basically (sometimes non-exclusively) of:

Gillette Proglide Flexball non-electric razor
    Proraso Green shaving soap (sometimes switching with Proraso White)
    HJM boar brush
    Omega Alum stick
    a good face wash, usually Avene or Alverde for pre-shave and post-shave face cleansing
    aftershave balm, usually by Alverde, for the final tough, but occasionally switching between this and the aftershave splash brands I named within another thread

Right now it's nothing fancy:
    a warm cloth
    NIVEA Shaving Cream
    Gillette Fusion ProGlide
    Aftershave balm
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by CollectorCT View Post
    a warm cloth
    NIVEA Shaving Cream
    Gillette Fusion ProGlide
    Aftershave balm
    Mine pretty much matches yours.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by CollectorCT View Post
    a warm cloth
    NIVEA Shaving Cream
    Gillette Fusion ProGlide
    Aftershave balm
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Mine pretty much matches yours.
    Nothing wrong with that! I unfortunately can't use anything with multiple blades, gives me the worst razor-bumps ever....

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

Gillette double-blade disposable razor
    Real Shaving Company tube shave creme
    Generic shaving brush
    Coffee mug as mixing bowl
    Olay Regenerist regenerating serum
    Last edited by kbe; 7th July 2016 at 03:54 PM.
    we have seen the enemy...and he is us.-Pogo
    Currently wearing: Mitsouko by Guerlain

Default Whats Your Shaving Set Up Consist Of

As of this very moment?

Gillette ProShield Razor

Harry's Foaming Shave Gel

Thayer's Witch Hazel (Alcohol-Free)

Harry's After-Shave Balm

The Harry's Foaming Shave Gel is a dead ringer scent wise for Dior's Sauvage. If you're into that scent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eight or nine good DE razors ( and half a dozen rubbish DE razors that I experimented with)
    20 or 30 makes of DE blades, most of which I haven't tested yet.
    A dozen or so cartridge razors.
    A dozen or so different types of disposable razors.
    A dozen of so shaving soaps.
    Two dozen or so shaving creams and gels.
    Alum bars from Turkey, and Alum natural crystal deodorant sticks, which do the exact same job as the Alum bars, even when they are made from Ammonium Alum as opposed to Potassium Alum.
    Three or four types of badger brushes.
    Three or four types of boar brushes ( I prefer boar)
    Dozens of aftershave balms
    Dozens of aftershave splashes.
    Three shavettes - which I will never ever use again.
    Five or six types types of electric shavers.

And the above are scattered between two bathrooms.
    Many days that I shave are adventures in experimenting with something new, or a new combination of soap or cream or razor, or razor blade.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 12th July 2016 at 11:16 PM.

Wow Renato, you put the rest of us to shame. You could open your own barber shop with the amount of stuff you have.

I'm totally enamored by Eaton College shaving cream by Taylor Of Bond Street. The citrus smell is really divine to the senses, even better than the deodorant they do which I have. I'm seriously considering getting the cologne, it proves that something simple done very well can be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    For me it's the following:

DE 89 Jagger Safety Razor
    Feather Blades
    Taylors Of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream - Eaton College scent
    Alum Rock
    Palmer's Cocoa Butter Moisturiser For Men
    Eaton College Deodorant

And I'm ready to rock and roll, what's your set up?
    Mine is very similar, Jack.

I have the Jagger KELVIN razor. Good weight, balance and grip.

ToOBS cream. I have Lavender and Lemon n Lime. Ran out of Sandalwood, which is my favorite. Also got some ProRaso for travel.

Feather blades also. I have recently been using the "new" Feather Hi Stainless. They are truly excellent. Sooo close.

Aftershave balm chose from .... Bodyshop, Nivea or ToOBS. Also for travel, I have some organic Sandalwood, Witch Hazel and Cocoa Butter that I got from Croatia.

Jagger brush.

Alum block. Although with the Jagger Kelvin I have not had to use it much in the last 6 months.

Oh, I forgot to add, I always use a Olive Oil based soap that I get from Cyprus. Sandalwood fragrance. Really soft and creamy.
    Last edited by artlin; 16th July 2016 at 12:03 PM.
    Currently residing in Blighty but biding my time when I shall return to my island of dreams.

You have a very nice set up their artlin. I too use the same feather blades, I find they are just perfect.

I did try the yellow label Feather once. Once was enough though, too agressive for me.

I received the Hi Stainless as a freebie when I bought the Kelvin razor. Gave one a try and was highly impressed.

I must order some more ToOBS sandalwood. I really miss not having any.
    Currently residing in Blighty but biding my time when I shall return to my island of dreams.

Wow Renato, you put the rest of us to shame. You could open your own barber shop with the amount of stuff you have.

I'm totally enamored by Eaton College shaving cream by Taylor Of Bond Street. The citrus smell is really divine to the senses, even better than the deodorant they do which I have. I'm seriously considering getting the cologne, it proves that something simple done very well can be very good.
    Thanks, I haven't tried Eaton College, but Taylor of Bond Street sure make extremely good soaps and creams.

As for the amount of stuff I have, well, shaving stuff is pretty cheap compared to fragrances - especially if one uses E-bay. I've bought heaps of razors and creams from the USA and the UK, and lots of soaps and creams from other European countries, and even from Turkey. And my tastes cover just about everything, for example, while being a huge fan of Trumpers creams (I still think them the best), I am also very fond of the lowly Erasmic cream. Truefitt and Hill is my favourite soap, but there are plenty of other cheaper ones that I like better than moderately expensive crowd favourites like Tabac/ Irisch Moos.

The important thing to have when evaluating shaves from equipment combinations is an Alum block - one can then get an objective idea by counting the stings from invisible micro-nicks.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

Merkur 23C Long-Handle
    Feathers work for me.
    Proraso Red Soap mainly
    Klaus Porto Oakmoss Cream
    Lab Series Unscented Cream
    Trumper's Eucris Flavoured cream.
    Funky Jasmine Scented Homemade with Honey. Cream.
    Generic Brush
    Vintage Old Spice mug
    Generic Alum.
    Generally I use Extra Virgin Grapeseed oil for my dry skin.
    Occasionally
    Bugatti 1992 A/S
    Bel Ami 1987 A/S
    Bugatti 1992 A/S

Used disposables for years.
    Never go back.
    The Hot Steel is a sensual pleasure.
    Last edited by purecaramel; 17th July 2016 at 10:18 PM.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: 1000 by Jean Patou

Could anyone recommend a razor for someone who has only ever known the Jagger D89. I love the razor except that it's very slippery because of the smooth chrome finish on the handle. I'm just looking for some contrast, it would interesting for me to see what it's like using another razor.

So I'm looking for something non aggressive like the Jagger D89 but what you would consider better and with something with a good grip on the handle. Any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Could anyone recommend a razor for someone who has only ever known the Jagger D89. I love the razor except that it's very slippery because of the smooth chrome finish on the handle. I'm just looking for some contrast, it would interesting for me to see what it's like using another razor.

So I'm looking for something non aggressive like the Jagger D89 but what you would consider better and with something with a good grip on the handle. Any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
    I've got that slippery Jagger D89 too.

I would have suggested one of the Weber Razors as something slightly milder, but with a much better handle, but unfortunately Weber Razor don't seem to make the razors at the moment - instead they just make the heavy knurled handles for Merkurs and Jaggers. Might be worth considering getting one for your Jagger.

Alternatively, you could check Ebay for the occasionally very cheap Merkur Open Comb razor - it's the worst razor I own, but it comes with a nice long handle. I replaced the shorter handle of my Merkur 33 with that of the Open Comb, and was much happier.

For amusement, you may also want to consider the Merkur Slant razor. It looks vicious, but I find it fairly mild - and it does shave a bit quicker.

I'm also very fond of the cheaper Feather razor.
    Regards,
    Renato

Thanks for the info Renato, much appreciated.

I have been doing some research and have found that Jagger do a Kelvin knurled handle edition where the grip is better and the handle is shorter. I have small hands so that one may fit me better. The slippery handle is the only downside to the regular D89, I find I have to wipe it dry a few times whilst shaving. Just a minor annoyance from a razor that gives a great shave.

Traditional straight shaver here but having just come back from a short break, I opted to buy and take with me a Merkur 37C slant as its minimal hassle. I have been unable to put it down since returning! It shaves a treat, requires very little effort to use and works pretty well with my soaps, creams and balms. So I will be shaving with it a lot more often and getting rid of some excess straight razor stock.

My set up though:

Razor: Merkur Slant 37C, a Puma 6/8 straight and two Filarmonica Doble Temple 13s (one in black scales and one in white).

Strops: Plenty of in my arsenal. Paddle, travel, hanging, custom made, etc

Blades: Most recently used and been very happy with the Father but have also used Wilkinson Sword in the past as well as others that I don't recall right now.

Software: Castle Forbes Lavender shaving cream, XPEC original shaving cream, Palmolive shave stick for travel and a small Oxford & Cambridge soap by C&S also for travel. Have tried just about everything there is under the sun in this category though...

AS: Roger & Gallet L'Homme ASB (old formula, soon to be finished for good ), Baxter of California ASB, Lab Series Razor Burn Relief Ultra

Brushes: Kent T4 (been with me since I started shaving this way in late 2005), a small C&S silver-handled travel brush (came as a set with the soap)
    Last edited by rum; 19th July 2016 at 12:06 PM.

My DE razor is a LA Shaving BBS-1 with a Gillette Silver Blue, I've found these blades to be sharp yet smooth enough to give a comfortable shave. The Feather DEs tend to be too sharp and only work well in the Feather AS-D2 which is a very mild razor. I also use a Mongoose SE razor with a Feather Pro-Guard blade, it gives a very close shave.

LA Shaving soaps are worth seeking out, they provide mounds of lather and very good skin protection. I like their Topanga Fougere and Mint Eucalyptus & Vanilla.

My favourite brushes are a Simpsons M7 and Chubby 2.
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Thanks for the info Renato, much appreciated.

I have been doing some research and have found that Jagger do a Kelvin knurled handle edition where the grip is better and the handle is shorter. I have small hands so that one may fit me better. The slippery handle is the only downside to the regular D89, I find I have to wipe it dry a few times whilst shaving. Just a minor annoyance from a razor that gives a great shave.
    I have medium sized hands, and while I can shave with short handles, I feel I have more control with the longer ones and get less avoidable nicks.

Oh - have you ever seen the Merkur Bakelite? It looks like such a cute little razor, with its short handle. However, the big blade gap makes it the most vicious of my mainstream razors (only cheap Chinese ones are more vicious, having bigger blade gaps). Yet astoundingly I've read reviews where some people thought it a gentle razor.
    Regards,
    Renato

I have seen the Merkur Bakelite on Amazon and it has gotten good reviews, it's made of plastic if I remember rightly.

I've always wondered how those cut throat razors shaved like but have not had the courage to try one out. I don't want to accidentally cut my nose off.lol

I think it's 4-5 years my setup has always been:

Merkur 1904 (the classic open comb version) + Astra blades (sometimes Wilkinson Sword, too)
    British creams - I rotate them, mostly Truefitt & Hill, TOBS and Penhaligon's ones. Currently I use Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet, and Trafalgar/1805/Lavender by T&H.
    A very inexpensive yet extremely solid Vulfix 660S brush (for a brief while some years ago it was sold on Amazon for £11!)

And since some months, a sturdy Muhle black ceramic bowl (didn't really want to get that, but I broke my previous one).

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

I've always wondered how those cut throat razors shaved like but have not had the courage to try one out. I don't want to accidentally cut my nose off.lol
    LOL, Jack they are awesome. If you have no particular facial marks or spots it's worth investing in one or at least trying it out. And I don't mean the shavette type that have the DE blade cut in half (most barbers in the UK use these). A proper straight that is stropped and sharpened on a stone and/or leather.

Last year I famously gave my brother a straight razor shave on his wedding day. Never done it before for anyone else, but it was a great experience for me as well as him. Didn't cut him once!

Basenotes Plus

Clean & Clear Morning Burst Face wash
    Nivea Shave Gel Energy
    Gillette Fusion Pro Glide
    Lubriderm for Men Fragrance Free Lotion
    Sterling Soap Company Executive Man Aftershave.

WAHL Clippers and precision kit for hair and grooming.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    LOL, Jack they are awesome. If you have no particular facial marks or spots it's worth investing in one or at least trying it out. And I don't mean the shavette type that have the DE blade cut in half (most barbers in the UK use these). A proper straight that is stropped and sharpened on a stone and/or leather.

Last year I famously gave my brother a straight razor shave on his wedding day. Never done it before for anyone else, but it was a great experience for me as well as him. Didn't cut him once!
    Maybe one day I will try them out but for now they scare the hell out of me. They look very unforgiving of mistakes, and the very thought of running a open straight blade anywhere near my throat sends chills down my spine.lol

Maybe one day I will try them out but for now they scare the hell out of me. They look very unforgiving of mistakes, and the very thought of running a open straight blade anywhere near my throat sends chills down my spine.lol
    Too many low budget movies, Jack!!

For whatever wet shaving queries or advice you may have, I'm here for you and the whole membership. It's been a hobby that introduced me to niche perfumes and to this site.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Too many low budget movies, Jack!!

For whatever wet shaving queries or advice you may have, I'm here for you and the whole membership. It's been a hobby that introduced me to niche perfumes and to this site.
    Thanks Rum I appreciate that. Just one small question, what do you think of Trumper shaving creams? It's just I saw a few posts on that Badger & Blade website and a few people were not very enamoured with them. I wanted to try the Sandalwood shaving cream, are they any good like the Taylors shaving creams?