Code of Conduct

Default Phlur - New line featured in WSJ

New unisex online only line headed by former Ralph Lauren exec and advised (according to website) by Chandler Burr.

https://phlur.com/

BN-OO814_PHLUR0_M_20160621141026.jpg

Nice write-up in the WSJ a couple of weeks ago(subscription required for link; text below link):

http://www.wsj.com/articles/when-wor...nce-1466587803

Eric Korman wants to remake how people buy fragrances. The former head of e-commerce at Ralph Lauren Corp. this week launches Phlur Inc., a line of unisex fragrances sold only online.

The company aims to dodge the crowded and confusing bustle of retail store fragrance counters and the sometimes-bewildering language used to describe how perfumes smell.

“Talking with a scent expert about fragrance notes sucks all the joy out of the room, just like an oenophile sucks the joy out of drinking wine,” says Mr. Korman. For $10, people can purchase two fragrance samples from Phlur. If they decide to purchase a full bottle, the $85 price tag is cut to $75.

Phlur also wants to serve as a guide to wearing fragrances. Each of its six scents has a tip sheet on how many times and where they should be sprayed, how far the fragrance will travel once applied and how long it will last on skin and clothing, respectively.

“One of the things that seem to be missing from the category is how a scent objectively wears,” says Mr. Korman, who wrote the tips with help from the company’s fragrance evaluator Anne Serrano-McClain.

Phlur’s Olmsted & Vaux scent, for example, should be sprayed once per wrist and ankle and will last approximately six to eight hours on skin, and one to two days on clothing, the company says. Its sillage, the fragrance industry term for the wake of a scent (or how far the scent reaches beyond your skin) is rated as medium. It “hits them right as they’re close enough to shake your hand,” according to the tip sheet.

“It was designed as this quiet confidence boost at the start of your professional day,” says Mr. Korman. “When you’re in the office, it’s not the moment when you want to make a big fragrance statement.”

By contrast, Phlur’s Siano fragrance intends to be a celebration of nightlife and “for those who want to own the room,” says Mr. Korman. It will last 10 to 12 hours on skin, and up to three days on clothing. Its sillage is “far.” Male and female wearers should spritz it on their wrists as well as the back of each knee. “Ultimately people will do what they’re more comfortable with,” says Mr. Korman.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bϊzios Brasil

Default Re: Phlur - New line featured in WSJ

Thanks for the info on this new line.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Anyone try any of these yet?
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Basenotes Plus

Seems a bit to gimmicky IMO. It is true that note pyramids may not necessarily match what is exactly in the fragrance, I still like the idea of viewing the note pyramid prior to a purchase.
    Current Rotation:
    Aqua di Gio Profumo
    D&G The One EdP
    JPG Le Male
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme Eau Extreme
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Virgin Island Water
    MFK Aqua Universalis Forte
    Clive Christian No 1
    Clive Christian 1872
    Dior Sauvage
    Paco Rabanne Invictus

"Waste time wondering which "cologne" pulls better, and your genes will spread only by accident. A perfume should be right for the man, not for the job"
    Luca Turin
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Thanks...looks good!

II like the approach of cutting the purchase price by the sample cost.

Who ever designed the website must have been brought up on Vogue and Elle...

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    Seems a bit to gimmicky IMO. It is true that note pyramids may not necessarily match what is exactly in the fragrance, I still like the idea of viewing the note pyramid prior to a purchase.
    Yep, I fully agree...it kind of reminds me how Philosophy originally didn't divulge their fragrance notes when pitching fragrances on QVC - as if their scents were this whole new olfactory experience that was just beyond or in this case, "too cool" to be pigeonholed into traditional note periods.

Quote Originally Posted by jrr2ok View Post
    Eric Korman wants to remake how people buy fragrances. The former head of e-commerce at Ralph Lauren Corp. this week launches Phlur Inc., a line of unisex fragrances sold only online.
    Such a visionary. Not many other outfits can lay claim to being able to ship to 48, 48(!), individual States. The world of online fragrance shopping will never be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    Such a visionary. Not many other outfits can lay claim to being able to ship to 48, 48(!), individual States. The world of online fragrance shopping will never be the same.
    LOL. Let's hope he didn't write his own PR, and that his juice is better than the article.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is another thread going on this same topic here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/426772-PHLUR-Anyone
    Might be good to join these together since they have the same subject.
    favorites: santo incienso • azemour les oranger • eau de neroli dore • cedro di taormina • uae oud • byredo rodeo • le sillage blanc • piccadilly '69 • byredo la botte • monsieur houbigant musk • bibliothetique • sammarco bond-t • dusita Issara •

I've tried these a few times now and I like their overall quality. This is a quick take on what I think of each, listed in order of my personal best to least best smell, for me.

Hepcat - An earthy medium toned leather and vetiver, woods - warm and cool at same time. Very nice.
    Moab - Hot spice with desert dry incense which becomes more powdery with time. Also very nice.
    Greylocke - green woods and shaded greenery. Cleansing, healing.
    Olmsted & Vaux - Air around pines, pepper + bitters in a minimal direct and clean scent. A relative of Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet?
    Siano - - Bold citrus blast that is softened by powdery suede musk. Clean but commanding.
    Hanami - Melon and mint musk scent. Polite, innocent, cuddly.
    favorites: santo incienso • azemour les oranger • eau de neroli dore • cedro di taormina • uae oud • byredo rodeo • le sillage blanc • piccadilly '69 • byredo la botte • monsieur houbigant musk • bibliothetique • sammarco bond-t • dusita Issara •

Thanks for the notes, Buzzlepuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk