Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
o

Default Re: Predict Them Now: Fragrances That Will Be Discontinued and Sell for Big Bucks on eBay in 3 Years

What's going on with yatagan? ��

Default Re: Predict Them Now: Fragrances That Will Be Discontinued and Sell for Big Bucks on eBay in 3 Years

Okay...

So to update this thread I looked over all the replies and found the predictions that actually ended up being discontinued. I might have missed some so my bad if I don't mention one you predicted that came to be. But here they are, with some comments.

Quote Originally Posted by ripjean View Post
    Mugler Ultra Zest
    This was a big one! Shortly after this thread Ultra Zest at $90 or less dried up everywhere and it wasn't long before it shot up in price. I picked up 4 bottles from the Mugler site during a sale which I ended up auctioning on eBay for anywhere between $150 and $220 about 8 months ago, maybe a little more. It's still discontinued and fetching high prices. Great call on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    D&G The One
    AdG Essenza
    AdG Profumo
    Eau Sauvage Parfum
    Dior Homme Cologne
    Dior Homme Parfum
    Armani Eau de Cedre
    Armani Eau d'Aromes
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    I'm not sure about the last two Armani's but I bolded the two in this group that ended up getting the axe. Essenza got discontinued about two years ago and supplies dried up by no less than a year ago. 2.5oz. bottles that sold for $75 now consistently sell for $125 and up. I actually had three backups of this that I decided to sell this year. I sold them about a three months ago between $110 and $120 and they went immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I think 99% of the ones still in production that have been mentioned in this thread will still be in production in 3 years.
    Good prediction. It seems like most of them still are, even a few I was certain would be nixed (Givenchy Play Intense for example)

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Standardized and made ugly...About as aesthetically pleasing as a bottle of Listerine.

What the hell is wrong with Guerlain?
    Oh God...remember when this news hit? I look back on the old style bottles fondly now and try to pick one up here and there when I see a good price for it. I miss them compared to the rectangular bottles. Bad move by Guerlain.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal doesn't perform well at the market hence it could be discontinued when the new line is introduced.
    Still in production, but GLHI Cologne has officially been discontinued. I still wouldn't be surprised if the EDT gets it at some point. I think Sport will be the next one however to be halted.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur View Post
    Guerlain Habit Rouge Dress Code already limited and ONLY in France boutiques now?

Stuff is amazing, I'll need a few bottles even if its discontinued or not.
    Not sure what's going on with this one. Maybe it's discontinued? But they specifically produced Dress Code 2018 and 2019 bottles, so I don't know....

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    I wonder if Pascal Morabito discontinues the 2014 re-release of Or Black, it will start to fetch much higher prices, as the vintage version did. I'm curious how it is doing, sales-wise. I guess the same could be postulated for the new versions of Domenico Caraceni 1913 and Richard James Savile Row as well. The latter went for real cheap prior to becoming hard to find, though.

If I had to guess, it would probably take longer than 3 years for all of the above to fetch high prices. They're all sort of "cult following" fragrances, when compared to many of the others mentioned thus far.
    I don't know that status on Savile Row or Or Black 2014. I know I recently bought Or Black for about $35 though, so that would not indicate discontinuation. And while I have a sealed bottled of Savile Row, I have no idea about its status as it's always really hard to find in the US anyway. I think it's still in production.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Lets see, find something crowd pleasing and a big performer.
    Something thats somewhat accessible, enough popularity, but not too much.

Costume National Homme

How about something of high quality from a designer that nearly everyone has passed up in the haze of crap thats come out the past few years.
    Something that probably hasnt sold all that well, and might be disc'd.

Hermes - Bel Ami Vetiver

How about that banal hype fragrance everyone and their brother wanted to get their hands on and its been discontinued unexpectedly.

Van Cleef & Arpels - Midnight in Paris EDP

Something of supreme quality, but too low of a price where a fragrance snob wont take it seriously. Go ahead pay more later.

Carven - Homme
    Midnight in Paris! Discontinued for sure and now. going for ridiculous prices whether EDT or EDP.

BAV still seems like its in production but I really wonder about this one. It seems like the perfect candidate for a discontinuation. Then again, it seemed like that three years ago too.

Carven Homme...seems likely.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeStiebs View Post
    Dress Code...but I sure hope not. Same for MIP...my signature.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Guerlain Homme. Discontinued, wonderful. Great packaging. All of this adds up to the ideal formula for collectibility. Pounce on it while it's still cheap. Buy a second, and even third bottle, so you can wear it a lot, too.
    Yep. All versions of it. Now there's just he EDP in the rectangular bottle...oh, and Boisee. But the original, the silver-plated front original, and Intense EDP all discontinued. For some reason I have like 15 bottles of Guerlain Homme. I have no idea why...they just sorted of got there. I don't see its price going up though, since the EDP is in production and pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by retropenguin View Post
    Dune and Higher Energy by Dior.
    Not sure about Higher Energy, but Dune?

Still in production! Amazingly....But this one's gotta go soon, right? I almost want to write to Dior and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post

Valentino Uomo Acqua: I don't think this one's gonna make it. I'm almost certain that it will be discontinued soon. The question is, will anybody be looking for it in the future after it gets the axe? I'm not so sure. It's generally considered a subpar release. I don't know...I kind of like it.

Guerlain Homme Intense: It's only a matter of time before these dry up. It's still pretty easy to find, and this stuff is GOOD, so people will continue to look for it in the future.

Valentino Acqua...now discontinued!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Guerlain L’Homme Ideal flankers strike me as strong investments. They’re nice fragrances, with sharp packaging, but never in wide release in the U.S. I am especially fond of the parfum and sport flankers. Buy now while they’re still available at good prices.
    Cologne is discontinued. What's next? Sport?

Quote Originally Posted by RichNTacoma View Post
    Another in this spirt that I Iove, with prices that jump around, is Carbone De Balmain. At times I have looked and can't see any; other times I will see some for under $30. (Ok, just pulled the trigger on a tester, under $30 including shipping)
    GONE!! Hard to find this one now at it's original price.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 24th January 2020 at 05:58 PM.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

Smell Good, Feel Good

Okay...

So to update this thread I looked over all the replies and found the predictions that actually ended up being discontinued. I might have missed some so my bad if I don't mention one you predicted that came to be. But here they are, with some comments.

This was a big one! Shortly after this thread Ultra Zest at $90 or less dried up everywhere and it wasn't long before it shot up in price. I picked up 4 bottles from the Mugler site during a sale which I ended up auctioning on eBay for anywhere between $150 and $220 about 8 months ago, maybe a little more. It's still discontinued and fetching high prices. Great call on this one.

I'm not sure about the last two Armani's but I bolded the two in this group that ended up getting the axe. Essenza got discontinued about two years ago and supplies dried up by no less than a year ago. 2.5oz. bottles that sold for $75 now consistently sell for $125 and up. I actually had three backups of this that I decided to sell this year. I sold them about a three months ago between $110 and $120 and they went immediately.

Good prediction. It seems like most of them still are, even a few I was certain would be nixed (Givenchy Play Intense for example)

Oh God...remember when this news hit? I look back on the old style bottles fondly now and try to pick one up here and there when I see a good price for it. I miss them compared to the rectangular bottles. Bad move by Guerlain.

Still in production, but GLHI Cologne has officially been discontinued. I still wouldn't be surprised if the EDT gets it at some point. I think Sport will be the next one however to be halted.

Not sure what's going on with this one. Maybe it's discontinued? But they specifically produced Dress Code 2018 and 2019 bottles, so I don't know....

I don't know that status on Savile Row or Or Black 2014. I know I recently bought Or Black for about $35 though, so that would not indicate discontinuation. And while I have a sealed bottled of Savile Row, I have no idea about its status as it's always really hard to find in the US anyway. I think it's still in production.

You got 1 out of 3. Midnight in Paris! Discontinued for sure and now. going for ridiculous prices whether EDT or EDP.

BAV still seems like its in production but I really wonder about this one. It seems like the perfect candidate for a discontinuation. Then again, it seemed like that three years ago too.

+1

Yep. All versions of it. Now there's just he EDP in the rectangular bottle...oh, and Boisee. But the original, the silver-plated front original, and Intense EDP all discontinued. For some reason I have like 15 bottles of Guerlain Homme. I have no idea why...they just sorted of got there. I don't see its price going up though, since the EDP is in production and pretty good.

Still in production! Amazingly....But this one's gotta go soon, right? I almost want to write to Dior and ask.

Valentino Acqua...now discontinued!!

Cologne is discontinued. What's next? Sport?

GONE!! Hard to find this one now at it's original price.
    Wow! Thank you for looking into this, interesting but also sad to see what has been nixed...
    "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News
    "If you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you might miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller
    "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour...you’re gonna see some serious s***. ~ Dr. Emmett Brown, “Back To The Future”

Wanted Thread
    For Swap Thread
    For Sale Thread

Heaven's made of oakmoss

I can just picture the a**hole-shark-vendors already turning up the prices on most frags mentioned here, cashing in in advance.
    FOMO!!
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    I can just picture the a**hole-shark-vendors already turning up the prices on most frags mentioned here, cashing in in advance.
    FOMO!!
    I’m all for a fair auction but the gouging is ridiculous. I looked online yesterday for a bottle of LIDGE with the black glass....$429.99.

Basenotes Plus

I won’t mention names, but am actively building up a stash of my favorites just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I won’t mention names, but am actively building up a stash of my favorites just in case.
    I do this as well, to a degree. I don't like to talk about it. LOL
    Sometimes if I know a site that has a bargain, I think about posting it here, but then I get greedy, lol
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

All Is Beautiful

Thank you Buysblind.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Call me the Martha Stewart of fragheads with my insider trading, but I only tell my friends what I think they should jump on and back up. Otherwise, I don't kiss and tell.

Remember: don't feed the sharks.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Freed from BN Institution

I’m all for a fair auction but the gouging is ridiculous. I looked online yesterday for a bottle of LIDGE with the black glass....$429.99.
    That's roughly the going price for DHI silver collar bottles now.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I looked online yesterday for a bottle of LIDGE with the black glass....$429.99.
    Yes that is ridiculous.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Dang...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Call me the Martha Stewart of fragheads with my insider trading, but I only tell my friends what I think they should jump on and back up. Otherwise, I don't kiss and tell.

Remember: don't feed the sharks.
    Lucky friends
    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    That's roughly the going price for DHI silver collar bottles now.
    Geez.. No fragrance is worth that.
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Yes that is ridiculous.
    Amen to that, hednic!

[QUOTE=Buysblind;4810752]Okay...

Thanks - unfortunately I only picked up one back up bottle - I saw loads more but never did. I did pick up lots of Invictus Aqua 2016 though, which I don't believe was mentioned on this thread as it was just released and getting panned!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Dang...Lucky friends

I know you are.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I know you are.
    Ha ha, why thank you sir!

Really? I've got several bottles with the black glass. I don't imagine they'd sell for anywhere close to that.

Gucci Guilty Absolute

I think Christopher Street / Saville Row will become unicorns - both are great fragrances, office friendly, aren't loud and don't have any sharp edges.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I think Christopher Street will become unicorns - both are great fragrances, office friendly, aren't loud and don't have any sharp edges.
    It's been in continued production.

Dior Homme Parfum

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    Dior Homme Parfum
    This and Dior Homme with no "original" written on it.... I foresee huge spikes at some point

And also Dior Homme Eau for Men, this is actually surprisingly getting difficult to find now (surprisingly for me as I just checked and have not really been following the whole brouhaha)

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    This and Dior Homme with no "original" written on it.... I foresee huge spikes at some point

And also Dior Homme Eau for Men, this is actually surprisingly getting difficult to find now (surprisingly for me as I just checked and have not really been following the whole brouhaha)
    It's funny: People were predicting Dior Homme Parfum in the beginning of this thread in 2016. It's somehow managed to hang on, as we know it's still produced in Europe, but not available in the U.S. It's so hard to find here in any regular retail or discount site that it may as well be discontinued, but if you're willing to pay a little extra for it, it's easy enough to get.

I do think the regular Dior Homme bottles without the "original" tag at the end of it will be dried up in about two years.

And Dior Homme Eau for Men is officially discontinued, locally and globally.

Carbone de Balmain for $30? Ouch.

This is selling for around £150 on ebay now. I wanted to try it but the price was just totally prohibitive. Wasn't aware it was ever that cheap.
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

[QUOTE=ripjean;4811061]
    Okay...

Thanks - unfortunately I only picked up one back up bottle - I saw loads more but never did. I did pick up lots of Invictus Aqua 2016 though, which I don't believe was mentioned on this thread as it was just released and getting panned!
    I can see the prices for this being a short lived thing. Seemed to be more Jeremy Fragrance based than anything else. Same 'thing' with LNDLH. The reformulation is largely the same and there are better options to Invictus Acqua anyway. I would sell now if the prices are still good as I cannot see the hype lasting.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBuck View Post
    Really? I've got several bottles with the black glass. I don't imagine they'd sell for anywhere close to that.
    Yeah, no chance. Listing price isn't the selling price.

[QUOTE=slpfrsly;4811742]
    Quote Originally Posted by ripjean View Post

I can see the prices for this being a short lived thing. Seemed to be more Jeremy Fragrance based than anything else. Same 'thing' with LNDLH. The reformulation is largely the same and there are better options to Invictus Acqua anyway. I would sell now if the prices are still good as I cannot see the hype lasting.
    I actually like Invictus Aqua a lot, and the 2016 version was something I had stocked up on, mostly for backup bottles. But once they reached a certain price I sold them because it would've been stupid not to. I like the new version almost as much, so....

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Carbone de Balmain for $30? Ouch.

This is selling for around £150 on ebay now. I wanted to try it but the price was just totally prohibitive. Wasn't aware it was ever that cheap.
    That's insanity. I enjoyed this one at $30, but 150 pounds? That's nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Yeah, no chance. Listing price isn't the selling price.
    Right. And a lot of times they'll do this with a dummy account to make their own prices look better.

Yep, crazy prices for the Balmain. I was watching this listing a while ago: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Balmain-C...p2047675.l2557

Obviously not sure what it finally sold for, but my guess would be over £30. And there's, what, 15ml remaining? Maybe 20ml at a push.

It looks like there are some from sale in France for around £100. I'm not interested enough to buy it, but that seems less atrocious for anyone who wants a bottle.

Which Fahrenheit releases have been discontinued (32 / aqua / parfum etc etc)? I haven't tried anything except the original version EDT and obviously prefer the vintage versions. I want to try the other releases and thought I would start off with the d/c ones before trying what's available...Thx.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

It's funny: People were predicting Dior Homme Parfum in the beginning of this thread in 2016. It's somehow managed to hang on, as we know it's still produced in Europe, but not available in the U.S. It's so hard to find here in any regular retail or discount site that it may as well be discontinued, but if you're willing to pay a little extra for it, it's easy enough to get.

I do think the regular Dior Homme bottles without the "original" tag at the end of it will be dried up in about two years.

And Dior Homme Eau for Men is officially discontinued, locally and globally.
    apparently axed from Dior.com even in Europe!

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Which Fahrenheit releases have been discontinued (32 / aqua / parfum etc etc)? I haven't tried anything except the original version EDT and obviously prefer the vintage versions. I want to try the other releases and thought I would start off with the d/c ones before trying what's available...Thx.
    Officially Discontinued: Fahrenheit 32, Fahrenheit Absolute, Aqua Fahrenheit

Limited Production but still around: Fahrenheit Parufm (oddly, this is probably easier to find now than at the time when this thread was made. while still somewhat hard to find, it's more widely available at the moment than it's been for about two or three years).

Still in Production: Fahrenheit and Fahrenheit Cologne: I wonder how much longer the Cologne has. Maybe another year? I don't think it's too popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    apparently axed from Dior.com even in Europe!
    Okay...wow!. That's news to me.

Hold on to your Dior Homme Parfums, people!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast