Code of Conduct

Default Vintage Cool Water: Do Any of You Wear This?

I used to love the way Cool Water smelled about 15--20 years ago. But when I bought a bottle of it 5 years ago it didn't smell nearly as good. I don't really know if this because my nose and the way I interpret scents has changed, or if there is a significant difference between the Cool Water of 1995 versus the Cool Water of today.

Have any of you looked into this before? Is there a known difference between the old and new?

Or are there any of you who wear vintage Cool Water and can attest to its superiority over the newer stuff? What are the differences?

And what signs should one look for when hunting down a bottle of vintage Cool Water (packaging, batch codes, etc.)?

Thank you

Default Re: Vintage Cool Water: Do Any of You Wear This?

image.jpg
    image.jpg

As I understand, there are three versions of Davidoff Cool Water:
    1. Parfums Davidoff (pictured) which is very rare
    2. Lancaster
    3. Coty (current version)
    Numbers 1 and 2 have Davidoff written in cursive, both on the box and bottle, while 3 has Davidoff written in block letters (also on box and bottle).
    I'm sure someone can provide a photo of the bottom of a Lancaster bottle, I believe Lancaster is clearly written.
    I own the Parfums Davidoff version and I've tried the current (Coty).
    The PD is richer, heavier, much longer lasting (I get 8-10 hours from three sprays), more complex, and more natural smelling.
    Not sure about the Lancaster, but the PD contains oakmoss.
    I wore this, coincidentally, yesterday evening and was reminded how great it is.

The Lancaster had well-articulated notes, though I perceive it as a bit of a note clash, whereas the Coty I have I'd describe as a fuzzy citrus nothing. Here's another take on the differences:

https://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/2015...destroyed.html

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I still have a full large bottle of the originally launched Cool Water, but haven't used it in quite a while. I liked it when it first came out and still like it but have found others I seem to like more.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Own many bottles of Lancaster version (script font) which is excellent imo.
    It is stronger, longer lasting and has way more going on, especially in the drydown than the current version as of 2008, which is way more synthetic, less lasting and contains less notes to my nose; do not like that one much.
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude

Sound Scents

The vintage is excellent and I still wear it. The current stuff still smells good, but nowhere near as good as the vintage.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

As I understand, there are three versions of Davidoff Cool Water:
    1. Parfums Davidoff (pictured) which is very rare
    2. Lancaster
    3. Coty (current version)
    Numbers 1 and 2 have Davidoff written in cursive, both on the box and bottle, while 3 has Davidoff written in block letters (also on box and bottle).
    I'm sure someone can provide a photo of the bottom of a Lancaster bottle, I believe Lancaster is clearly written.
    I own the Parfums Davidoff version and I've tried the current (Coty).
    The PD is richer, heavier, much longer lasting (I get 8-10 hours from three sprays), more complex, and more natural smelling.
    Not sure about the Lancaster, but the PD contains oakmoss.
    I wore this, coincidentally, yesterday evening and was reminded how great it is.
    Alan, thank you so much! That was incredibly helpful!

I'm looking forward to tracking down at least a Lancaster version of it.

Regards,

Buysblind

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Alan, thank you so much! That was incredibly helpful!

I'm looking forward to tracking down at least a Lancaster version of it.

Regards,

Buysblind
    My pleasure Busyblind!
    The Lancaster version shouldn't be THAT difficult to track down, and you'll see it instantly based on the cursive Davidoff.
    I've seen it for sale here in Holland fairly often, and most sellers don't realize it's the "vintage" version, so prices are low.
    As others above have stated, this is well worth seeking out.
    Good luck and please keep us posted!
    Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    My pleasure Busyblind!
    The Lancaster version shouldn't be THAT difficult to track down, and you'll see it instantly based on the cursive Davidoff.
    I've seen it for sale here in Holland fairly often, and most sellers don't realize it's the "vintage" version, so prices are low.
    As others above have stated, this is well worth seeking out.
    Good luck and please keep us posted!
    Alan.
    Just watch out for the (125ml only) fakes! Try to get a tester with ''Demonstration'' written on the bottle.
    Last edited by Slayerized; 28th February 2018 at 09:02 AM.
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude

I have one coming from ebay soon. It has the gold lettering with the cursive script. It is one of the Lancaster ones. I am looking forward to getting it and hopeful that it has not turned.

Well, I placed an order for some vintage bottles of Cool Water that I found on eBay. They should arrive soon, I just hope (like the guy above me stated) they haven't turned. I also stumbled across an article which probably helps explain why there is the "Parfums Davidoff" vintage prior to the Lancaster Group vintage, and why the former is much more rare than the latter. Cool Water was released in 1988--in Germany. It didn't make its way to the States until 1991 where it was distributed by the Lancaster Group. Therefore this leads me to believe that the first batch of vintage (the "Parfums Davidoff") only existed for three years before changing over to the Lancaster Group. I'm assuming the reformulation occurred between making its way over to the States and finding new distributors. The vintage I purchased are of the Lancaster Group (except for one which could possibly be the earlier vintage); the boxes and bottles have both "Davidoff" and "Cool Water" written in cursive.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Well, I placed an order for some vintage bottles of Cool Water that I found on eBay. They should arrive soon, I just hope (like the guy above me stated) they haven't turned. I also stumbled across an article which probably helps explain why there is the "Parfums Davidoff" vintage prior to the Lancaster Group vintage, and why the former is much more rare than the latter. Cool Water was released in 1988--in Germany. It didn't make its way to the States until 1991 where it was distributed by the Lancaster Group. Therefore this leads me to believe that the first batch of vintage (the "Parfums Davidoff") only existed for three years before changing over to the Lancaster Group. I'm assuming the reformulation occurred between making its way over to the States and finding new distributors. The vintage I purchased are of the Lancaster Group (except for one which could possibly be the earlier vintage); the boxes and bottles have both "Davidoff" and "Cool Water" written in cursive.
    Hey Busyblind.
    Can you perhaps link to the article you mention?
    Alan

I can't do it at the moment but I started a thread on it in the Male Fragrance Discussion Forum. It's probably in the second page right now. It has a link to the article in the thread.

I still use a bottle along with the matching aftershave that I had bought about 10 years ago, smells just fine, doesn't last long though.
    Currently wearing: Clubman by Pinaud

Busyblind, if you're looking to sell it, I have been trying to get the PD version in my collection. Get in touch.

- - - Updated - - -

Correction: AlanG, if you're looking to sell it, I have been trying to get the PD version in my collection. Get in touch.

Basenotes Plus

I picked up this fun set today. 4.2 aftershave and edt. $29, steal! Silly little cool water watch, too.
    20190620_124012.jpg

Got this half full 2.5 a couple weeks ago for $23.
    20190620_130215.jpg

Bottoms of both for those who are interested.
    20190620_130331.jpg
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.