Code of Conduct

Default Japan customs restrictions on amount?

I'm visiting Japan for a couple weeks and I've seen several official resources that say you can't bring more than 2oz of perfume to Japan. One of these says that only applies to pure perfume, and that edp or edt counts as general cosmetics (for which there's a usage limit, like only 24 applications-worth allowed or something like that)

Finally, straight from JAL's website they list the standard 3oz max for carry on that I'm used to in the states, and mostly no restriction for changed baggage. I'm not flying JAL though and I'm not sure how they would have their own rules that don't follow the country's customs.

Does anyone have a straight answer on this from experience?

Default Re: Japan customs restrictions on amount?

EDT and EDP are fine as they're considered cosmetics, it's only pure perfumes (extraits) that have limits.

I see, and you have travelled there with larger than 2oz bottles of perfume and been ok?

On this website, they list that for cosmetics, you can only bring 24 applications-worth:

http://www.ny.us.emb-japan.go.jp/en/e/01.html

"There are quantity restrictions on the import of medicine and cosmetics.
    (e.g., for pharmaceutical products: amount for use for a period of 2 months; quasi-drugs: amount for use for a period of 2 months; cosmetics: 24 applications) ."

But that seems like a nebulous restriction.. how can they quantify what 24 applications is for a fragrance? Does this only apply to carry-on, or does checked baggage follow this limit as well?

Impatient bump to see if anyone knows ^

Blog Entries

I lived in Japan until two years ago. The last time I brought in perfume, I brought a couple of full bottles. They never searched my luggage. They won't unless you have a 'profiling' situation, like seems to be a pot smoker, or not reporting your intended address or hotel, seem to be ill, lots of baggage, etc. If you look like a normal tourist, they will wave you through. Prices of perfume and cosmetics are high in Japan. That rule is probably intended to stop sneaky traders. That being said, I would not take a hugely expensive bottle, just because of the infinitesimal chance of getting caught. If you are caught, you will probably just forfeit your stuff. And spend many, many hours in customs so they can try to make sure you are not doing anything dodgy. If you have a polite, calm manner, you will probably not be questioned. (Your mileage may vary)

Haha cool, thanks for the reply. So are you familiar with the whole 24 application thing or is that not a fragrance related restriction?

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5 View Post
    Haha cool, thanks for the reply. So are you familiar with the whole 24 application thing or is that not a fragrance related restriction?
    I've never heard of it. I've usually tried to restrict myself to no more than 2 bottles of anything when bringing in or ordering from overseas. In over a decade of living here I don't recall my luggage ever being searched. I think the restriction is basically to stop people bringing in what could be considered a commercial amount. I've had customs inspect perfume bottles ordered from overseas without being hit with any extra charges.

The only thing I'd be wary of is that the customs officers may not be that familiar with the actual legal provisions and the distinctions between the different concentrations. My parents have had overzealous post office staff stop them from sending a moisturizer that listed alcohol as an ingredient, despite the fact you can mail alcohol up to a certain percentage (enough to allow the shipping of most spirits like vodka) and I doubt the moisturizer even had 1%.

If I weren't traveling I'd take a look at the Japanese language version because the English translation can sometimes be a bit unclear, but it's a bit hard to do on my phone.

Edit - checked out the customs page and a couple of blogs, one of which said they phoned customs. For EdT, EdC it's up to 200,000 yen in value that you can bring in without declaring. So close to $2000 worth that you can bring in.
    Last edited by Darjeeling; 3rd August 2016 at 12:57 AM.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Ok, all the above sounds good to me. Think I'll take a couple bottles and not worry about it. Thanks all!

Brought 4 bottles of 120ml Creeds with me. It was fine.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed