Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for a fragrance for classroom setting in a hot and humid climate

Hi all,

I stay in Singapore, and the weather is usually hot and humid over here. While there are some posts on fragrances for the summer/hot and dry climate, I don't find much information for a hot and humid one.

What are some of your recommendations? I'm currently looking at Mugler Cologne and Encre Noire Sport. What are your thoughts on these two in such weather?

Appreciate all feedback!
    Last edited by unseenfootage; 5th August 2016 at 11:45 AM.

Default Re: Looking for a fragrance for classroom setting in a hot and humid climate

Mugler would be a good choice.

5 designers to consider:
    Dior Homme Cologne
    Grey Vetiver
    Terre D'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche
    Allure Homme Sport
    Nautica Voyage

5 niche I enjoy:
    L'HUMANISTE
    Nio
    Millesime Imperial
    Silver Mountain Water
    Bergamote 22
    Last edited by Dandydude; 5th August 2016 at 11:55 AM.
    Currently wearing: Wild Fruits by Mancera

Default Re: Looking for a fragrance for classroom setting in a hot and humid climate

Gucci PH II

Hi Unseenfootage,

I know from experience that in a tropical environment a perfume can feel a bit burdensome and come across as cloying to others. One fragrance that works brilliantly in high heat and humidity is Creed Original Vetiver.
    26123368-1728.jpg
    The vetiver keeps it fresh and somewhat soapy and the musk I think gives the fragrance the uncanny impression that it's the body's natural odour.

Another recommendation is Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil 26124417.jpg, the freshness of which borders on astringent.

Cheers,

Thanks for the suggestions! Will check them out. Also, I'm looking at designer fragrances instead of niche fragrances. I would prefer to get a few designer fragrances than one niche fragrance, so that I can rotate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandydude View Post
    Mugler would be a good choice.

5 designers to consider:
    Dior Homme Cologne
    Grey Vetiver
    Terre D'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche
    Allure Homme Sport
    Nautica Voyage

5 niche I enjoy:
    L'HUMANISTE
    Nio
    Millesime Imperial
    Silver Mountain Water
    Bergamote 22
    I live in a very hot and humid climate. Every scent listed above works great in my climate.

Also some I've personally enjoyed the last couple years and work very well for me are -

-from Hermes, Jardin Sur Le Nil, d'Orange Verte (and Concentre), and I've really enjoyed Voyage d'Hermes Pure Perfume this year.

-everything from Atelier (basically). The ones I've reached for most were Bergamote Soleil, Polémo Paradis, and Cedrat Enivrent.

-Prada Luna Rossa and Eau Sport

-Thierry Mugler A*men Ultra Zest

-Versace ph and Eau Fraîche

-Guerlain Homme and L'Eau Boisée

-Acqua Di Parma Arancia di Capri and Fico di Amalfi

-Also, really, look through my wardrobe. It needs updating, but everything in it works my climate at various times. Even my winters have high humidity. If it doesn't work for me, it has to go.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User of Toilet Water

Anything from Bvlgari's Aqva line. They're all cheap too. Aren't you in air-conditioning most of the time though?
    Currently wearing: Endymion by Penhaligon's

I would go with Encre Noire Sport.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

A few suggestions -

Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisée
    Nautica Voyage
    Grey Vetiver
    Currently wearing: Havana by Aramis

Versace Pour Homme
    Amazingreen
    The Soft Lawn
    Spice and Wood (decant)
    Currently wearing: Pardon by Nasomatto

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Quote Originally Posted by unseenfootage View Post
    Hi all,

I stay in Singapore, and the weather is usually hot and humid over here. While there are some posts on fragrances for the summer/hot and dry climate, I don't find much information for a hot and humid one.

What are some of your recommendations? I'm currently looking at Mugler Cologne and Encre Noire Sport. What are your thoughts on these two in such weather?

Appreciate all feedback!
    I think either of those two would be fine
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

For hot and humid weather, I like vetivers, I find them fresh but not too sporty. So the two you mention are great examples. Guerlain Vetiver and Tom Ford Grey vetiver would be other ones.

Lush has also some good body sprays that last pretty well. Smuggler's soul body spray is a good vetiver, but I don't know if it's sold outside Europe. Dirty is fresh and minty instead.

cacio

CdG Vettiveru
    MadHat Scents

Atlas Incense II (Shou Sugi Ban, Cardamom, Tonka, Incense)/ Le Chance XVI (Bergamot, Citrus, Lavender, Cedar & Sandalwood) / Fur - $5 OFF SALE - (Vintage Musks, Woods, Leather) / BayWay - (Citrus, Musk, Coconut) / Onsen Wood (Hinoki/Hiba/Cedar/Yuzu)

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    CdG Vettiveru
    Another good suggestion.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Would personally either choose Mugler Cologne directly and also consider (re-) testing Bleu de Chanel EDP, YSL Live Jazz, Guerlain L`Homme Ideal Cologne and Cartier Roadster, in addition to the numerous great suggestions already posted

Thanks for the suggestions, again! Based on some of your feedback, I think I will get decants of Mugler Cologne, Encre Noire Sport and CdG Vettiveru, as a start. Looks like vetiver fragrances is the way to go.

If you want something that keeps you fresh and that lasts all day in hot humid weather, I haven't found anything better than Azzaro Chrome, followed by Diesel Plus Plus. My other ones all conked out in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.

Mugler's Colonge - works well on my wife, but is pretty lame on me, being nowhere near as fresh as the other two I mentioned.

But if you are mainly in an air-conditioned environment, pretty much anything will do.
    Regards,
    Renato

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

I live in Singapore so I totally get where OP's coming from. With high humidity you really want to keep your fragrances on the drier or lighter side. While it's true that most classrooms are air-conditioned, the outdoors are not. What smells great in the class can easily turn into a cloying mess in the warmer humid outdoors.

Some designer fragrances that have served me well in this climate:-

Armani Eau Pour Homme
    Bulgari pour Homme
    Cartier Declaration Essence
    Cartier Roadster
    Chanel No.19
    D&G The One Gentlemen
    Hermes Terre d'Hermes
    Kenzo Power
    L'Eau Bleue d'Issey pour Homme
    Prada Amber
    Prada Infusion d'Homme
    Prada Infusion d'Vetiver
    Ralph Lauren Polo Sport
    Rochas Eau Pour Homme
    Zegna Intenso
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 6th August 2016 at 11:01 AM.
    Currently wearing: Sartorial by Penhaligon's

Consider Sel de Vetiver (2007) by The Different Company. It is very nicely done.

Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne Sport, a bit wordy and sporty in the name department, but smells great (Citrusy and very clean) and performs well in the heat.

I tried CdG Vettiveru yesterday and today. Unfortunately, the sillage and longevity were too weak. I couldn't barely smell it after an hour of application. Does anyone have similar experiences? Does Mugler Cologne perform equally or better than CdG Vettiveru?

Quote Originally Posted by unseenfootage View Post
    I tried CdG Vettiveru yesterday and today. Unfortunately, the sillage and longevity were too weak. I couldn't barely smell it after an hour of application. Does anyone have similar experiences? Does Mugler Cologne perform equally or better than CdG Vettiveru?
    I have no experience with Vettiveru but do with Mugler Cologne. It is generally a 4-6 hour fragrance, depending on how you spray and weather conditions. You can get more out of it with a bit of overspraying. There's also a potential for olfactory fatigue with the one you tried. Did you ask other's if they could smell Vettiveru on you after an hour? I apologize that I can't compare the two for you, but I would expect to hear you report that you got at least 4hrs minimum of MC. You also mentioned Encre Noir Sport, which lasts on me all work day. FWIW

Already some great suggestions are made. I would add "Armani Privé Vétiver Babylone" for you to test.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Already some great suggestions are made. I would add "Armani Privé Vétiver Babylone" for you to test.
    That, sir, is an excellent suggestion. I love mine and get great longevity. Very classy and smooth.

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Gendarme!

I own both the EDP and the original EDC versions, and honestly, I'd recommend either. Even the EDC is surprisingly long lasting, and it such a 'nice' scent.

Other ideas:

Grey Vetiver
    Original Vetiver
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Mugler Cologne (so cheap! So good!)
    Xerjoff Nio (Ugh, that price! But it's excellent!)
    Current Favorites:
    Reflection Man
    Royal Oud
    Penhaligon's Endymion
    Dior Homme
    Bergamote Soleil
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Histoires De Parfums 1725
    Pomelo Paradis
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Millesime Imperial
    Fahrenheit
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Dior homme sport
    Acqua di Gio --- essenza
    Acqua di parma colonia -- essenza

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RichMan'sOldSpice View Post
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne Sport, a bit wordy and sporty in the name department, but smells great (Citrusy and very clean) and performs well in the heat.
    +1-This. I have Armani's Vetiver D'Hiver and it is more ideal for the spring imo as it doesn't do well in extremely hot temps(check out Lupe's review of it under Armani Vetiver Babylone on Youtube before you buy). BTW: It might fare differently on different people's skin so you might want to test it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    +1-This. I have Armani's Vetiver D'Hiver and it is more ideal for the spring imo as it doesn't do well in extremely hot temps(check out Lupe's review of it under Armani Vetiver Babylone on Youtube before you buy). BTW: It might fare differently on different people's skin so you might want to test it first.
    Interesting. Let me start by saying Vetiver Babylone works well for me spring or summer. I have and bought it in the summer in Houston, it worked fine there outside and in Corpus Christi the following day, and I live in south Louisiana and it works fine in the summer heat. It's not my goto in the summer heat outside, but it works. So it could certainly be "more ideal" as Paul stated above. Personally, I enjoy using this one in formal or semi formal settings (office, church, weddings, semi formal to formal dinners and such... Indoors and outdoors). It's classy and smooth. Depending on your style, it could be perfect or feel a little upscale in a classroom. I hadn't heard of any reform on it but nothing surprises me anymore.

I did watch the top 10 spring Lupe video, which includes this frag (#5 on his list), and my tastes are a bit different from his. He starts his countdown with one I use successfully in the dead of the summer heat outside, Tom Ford Azure Lime. I like mojito on a blistering day to uplift my mood. I'm not saying he's wrong but rather simply has different tastes than mine. That's the only video of his I've watched, and I'm not sure where he's from, but I also noticed he's wearing long sleeves on a somewhat gloomy day discussing spring frags. Not sure if that's his spring, but mine are bright and hot.

OP, the moral here is... Like with any fragrance, it's best to try before you buy.

Thanks for your input, Paul!

Regards

Dior Homme Cologne new version.
    1. Dior - Homme/Intense (vintage)

Creed - Aventus

Amouage - Jubilation XXV

Amouage - Reflection Man

Dior - Feve Delicious

Hermes - Terre d'Hermes

Parfums De Marly - Herod

Tom Ford - Oud Wood

Serge Lutens - Chergui

10. Lalique - Encre Noire Extreme

Life's too short for average fragrances.
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Interesting. Let me start by saying Vetiver Babylone works well for me spring or summer. I have and bought it in the summer in Houston, it worked fine there outside and in Corpus Christi the following day, and I live in south Louisiana and it works fine in the summer heat. It's not my goto in the summer heat outside, but it works. So it could certainly be "more ideal" as Paul stated above. Personally, I enjoy using this one in formal or semi formal settings (office, church, weddings, semi formal to formal dinners and such... Indoors and outdoors). It's classy and smooth. Depending on your style, it could be perfect or feel a little upscale in a classroom. I hadn't heard of any reform on it but nothing surprises me anymore.

I did watch the top 10 spring Lupe video, which includes this frag (#5 on his list), and my tastes are a bit different from his. He starts his countdown with one I use successfully in the dead of the summer heat outside, Tom Ford Azure Lime. I like mojito on a blistering day to uplift my mood. I'm not saying he's wrong but rather simply has different tastes than mine. That's the only video of his I've watched, and I'm not sure where he's from, but I also noticed he's wearing long sleeves on a somewhat gloomy day discussing spring frags. Not sure if that's his spring, but mine are bright and hot.

OP, the moral here is... Like with any fragrance, it's best to try before you buy.

Thanks for your input, Paul!

Regards

Diddy, you're welcome, mi amigo. Need to try it on the skin as everyone's skin chemistry will react differently. I get this plastic-like feel with this one when it's hot and humid outdoors. Reformulation? Skin chemistry? Who knows? Bottom Line: It's a nice one.