Code of Conduct
o

Smile Need help finding a fragrance from my childhood....please!?

Hi everyone! My name is Catherine and I am a perfume addict

Im going to assume that everyone has that "one" perfume that they remember from their childhood or early teens that they absolutely love when they smell it. Right???......

Ok so I need help finding mine, please??? I will try to describe the best that I can;

This perfume was worn by the teachers assistant in my 1st grade class, so the perfume was around or maybe even new in the early 90's. The scent was not floral or spicy. The best way to describe it is warm and kind of wraps around you (similar to Alien or something similar.) It's light but, seemed to last all day. I had smelled something similar on a lady and asked her and she told me that it was the original Coach perfume but, the square bottle with the "C"s on it, smells nothing like the perfume she had on (unless she meant legacy but, ive never smelled that.)

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated. I think about this perfume EVERY SINGLE DAY (literally every time I put on perfume)

Thanks everyone!!

Default Re: Need help finding a fragrance from my childhood....please!?

Hi Sparklebug and welcome to Fragrance Anonymous aka Basenotes,

It seems that all fragrances by Coach were released in the 2000's. Any other clues?

In thinking about the olfactory group (aromatic, chypre, citrus, floral, leather, oriental, woody), from your description it sounds like it might be a leather or oriental (the amber in which feels warm and enveloping). Any hints of vanilla or sweet notes?

My shot-in-the-dark guess would be Donna Karan Cashmere Mist
    10211217.jpg
    Circa 1994, it's still in production and can be purchased from any number of online retailers.

By the way, Basenotes contributor Claire Vukcevic has written an indispensable guide which will help you round-out your wardrobe and explore more expensive niche fragrances.
    The Top Ten Niche Fragrances Every Beginner Should Sample

And importantly, Basenotes founder and editor, Grant Osborne has compiled an extraordinarily comprehensive list of of the best fragrances, both designer & niche, produced since 2000.
    500 Greatest Modern Perfumes

Cheers,
    Last edited by Bon et Copieux; 8th August 2016 at 01:07 PM.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I have no idea what it could be but just wanted to welcome you sparklebug and hope you enjoy your time here at Basenotes!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Greetings!

An 1990's teacher's assistant might have worn CK One (1994) or CK Be (1996).

Welcome!

Hard to say from the information given. Alien is actually based on a deep jasmine. A big jasmine of the era was Guerlain Samsara.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have no idea what it could be but just wanted to welcome you sparklebug and hope you enjoy your time here at Basenotes!
    Thank you Hednic!

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Welcome!

Hard to say from the information given. Alien is actually based on a deep jasmine. A big jasmine of the era was Guerlain Samsara.

cacio
    Ok Thank you, that might help!It wasnt exactly floral or exactly fruity, it was just warm and comforting so maybe woody just a little or light amber? Im still learning perfume "etiquette" (so to say) and only recently realized the importance of the 3 layers of notes.

Basenotes Plus

Could it possibly be CK Obsession? It's warm ambery and cozy-sexy. I caught wafts of it from someone sitting in front of me in the lecture theatre in 1994 and that experience have been imprinted in my scent memory ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Could it possibly be CK Obsession? It's warm ambery and cozy-sexy. I caught wafts of it from someone sitting in front of me in the lecture theatre in 1994 and that experience have been imprinted in my scent memory ever since.
    I suppose I could look into the CK line but I always remember those be more citrusy?

Jasmine can be quite deep and sweetish rather than clean and floral, depending on how it's done. But you are right, most of the character can come from the basenotes of the perfume, warmness often given by various types of ambers or by sandalwood (though Mysore sandalwood, common back then, is now unavailable).

cacio

I was going to suggest Obsession too. Very warm and not at all citrus.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'
    Currently wearing: Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

Blog Entries

Shot in the dark - if it reminded you of leather at all it could have been CK Eternity? That one got insanely popular in the 90s for a while.

I concur with the "obsession" suggestion. It was insanely popular then and could (still can) be found almost anywhere. If you decide to give it a sniff I suggest you spray it on and not judge it immediately by the top notes.....it really does turn quite sweet and cozy like you described

Quote Originally Posted by Dandydude View Post
    I concur with the "obsession" suggestion. It was insanely popular then and could (still can) be found almost anywhere. If you decide to give it a sniff I suggest you spray it on and not judge it immediately by the top notes.....it really does turn quite sweet and cozy like you described
    Ok Ok I will try obsession as well. Who knows, might just be it?!