Code of Conduct

Default YSL Black Opium EDT vs EDP

Which do you prefer and why?
    "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News
    "If you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you might miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller

Wanted Thread
    For Swap Thread
    For Sale Thread
    Currently wearing: Drifter by True Religion

Basenotes Member

Default Re: YSL Black Opium EDT vs EDP

I actually also would like to know as I have a sample of the lighter concentration and I would like to learn more about their differences before once again having to make a decision. Yes, I do indeed refer to the exact fragrances stated above. It would be for myself, for my own enjoyment. ;)

I strongly prefer the EDP because coffee is more prominent, it's a bit boozier, darker and stronger. It's sweetness is more vanilla based, while EDT's sweetness seems more fruit based to me. EDT seemed a bit too sugary/fruity for me when I tried it (I love citrus, but I just don't like pear), and the coffee note wasn't as prominent to me here - and I love that note. But EDT is a bit fresher and lighter, yes, so maybe it's better suited for spring and summer.
    BUT bear in mind that despite having, wearing and loving the EDP it's been quite a while since I last tried the EDT, so my one-time perception might be flawed. I think I might jump into the store to spritz both on each wrist tomorrow after work and then I'll be able to tell you better. Who knows, maybe this time I'll see the EDT differently.

So the main question is - what exactly do you like (or don't care much) about this fragrance?

Basenotes Member

Thank you for your reply. I have recently described the sample that I have of the toilette as a kind of fluid poppy red interacting with a bit of sparkle as well as something grittier and darker, which may be allegorical poppy seeds, noting that the note of coffee is not something that I absolutely must have in a fragrance but that it seems creamy and blended well in this case. I think that I wonder about two aspects. The first is whether the toilette has an acceptable longevity and silage. The second is whether the more pronounced coffee note as well as the vanilla in the parfum might overload the fragrance.

Although liking both almost equally much, slightly favoring the EDP due to the slightly increased additional performance
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

Basenotes Member

May I ask, is that to say that there are no noteworthy differences in composition to you, fellow adventurous fragrantist?

Basenotes Member

I noticed that there actually are three versions or three main versions to discuss now:

- Yves Saint-Laurent, Black Opium, Eau de Parfum (2014)
    - Yves Saint-Laurent, Black Opium, Eau de Toilette (2015)
    - Yves Saint-Laurent, Black Opium Glow, Eau de Toilette (2018) – Adding patchouli and also cedarwood, which until now mainly were in the parfum.
    - Yves Saint-Laurent, Black Opium Intense, Eau de Parfum (2019) – Ignorant as it may seem, but come on!