Code of Conduct

Default Is there any fragrance that smells just like the dry-down of Old Spice without OS's floral opening?

Hey,

I was wondering if there is any fragrance out there which basically has Old Spice's wonderful dry-down scent that takes about 3 hours to show up (which is basically why we men still wear this stuff), but without that floral/citrus opening and lighter mid-notes. I just want that classic dry-down smell that is unmistakably Old Spice classic.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Is there any fragrance that smells just like the dry-down of Old Spice without OS's floral openi

Are you familiar with Mon Numero 10 by L'Artisan Parfumeur? All of the base notes listed in the Original Old Spice are also present in the base of the L'Artisan. Might be worth checking out. Haven't compared myself to see. Do own the L'Artisan and is very nice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Is there any fragrance that smells just like the dry-down of Old Spice without OS's floral openi

If you can find a bottle of Early American Old Spice (mine has a plastic light blue cap), I'd guess that is what you're seeking.

Some "similar" in my eyes are
    Tabac
    Clubman
    Brut

Maybe also try PS by Paul Sabastian
    Last edited by Dandydude; 28th August 2016 at 10:19 PM.
    Currently wearing: Wall Street by Victor

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Are you familiar with Mon Numero 10 by L'Artisan Parfumeur? All of the base notes listed in the Original Old Spice are also present in the base of the L'Artisan. Might be worth checking out. Haven't compared myself to see. Do own the L'Artisan and is very nice.
    Damn Hednic. You know everything it seems. I will look into it. I have a ton of old-school Shulton now that I will need to use up, but will definitely look into alternatives. Old Spice should probably still be something men pick up from time to time. I mean, like real men with facial hair and a little age. I miss this stuff after a while and just like wearing it around the house on a "me day".
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Old Spice should probably still be something men pick up from time to time. I mean, like real men with facial hair and a little age. I miss this stuff after a while and just like wearing it around the house on a "me day".
    Growing up as a teenager before I became interested in fragrances, it was common to see this in my home. Both my father and older brother used it almost exclusively.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I've owned many bottles over the years. Happy to report that latest versions are among the best. No kidding. Give the $5 bottle in the grocery store a try before you spring for an expensive vintage bottle online. Still an amazing classic.

Miller Harris' Feuilles de Tabac often gets compared as a refined version of Old Spice. It's quite full on, but I don't know if that was just the sprayer I used (I have a split decant). It's the kind of thing I see around in decants and samples on ebay, so might be worth sampling.

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I mean, like real men with facial hair and a little age. I miss this stuff after a while and just like wearing it around the house on a "me day".
    You know that, at its heart, Old Spice is an aftershave, right.

I'm not 100% sold on Paul Sebastien PS smelling like it, plus you don't the florals and PS features florals for me. I like PS, just not sure it's what you're looking for. In the end, I think OS is quite unique.