Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Classic "British"

Classical "British" style fragrances like Creed Royal Mayfair, Penhaligon's Opus 1870, and Blenheim Bouquet. What else would you recommend in this style?

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Default Re: Classic "British"

There must be something by Floris I would imagine would qualify but not sure what.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    There must be something by Floris I would imagine would qualify but not sure what.
    Maby Floris 89?

Woods of Windsor is a great British barbershop scent. Can be bought on Amazon for under $30 and smells as though it costs much more.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B9...ods+of+windsor
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

GFT Eucris

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Classical "British" style fragrances like Creed Royal Mayfair, Penhaligon's Opus 1870, and Blenheim Bouquet. What else would you recommend in this style?

Oxford & Cambridge

The whole GFT line but Astor, GFT, and Sandalwood in particular.

Dependent

Richard James EdT, and pretty much anything Crown used to make.
    Overcome by Fumes
    Currently wearing: Shalimar Light by Guerlain

"very classic" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    "very classic" ;-)
    I've heard that Penhaligon's has ruined the scent with a reformulation.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Oxford & Cambridge

The whole GFT line but Astor, GFT, and Sandalwood in particular.
    What exactly is "GFT"?

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

What exactly is "GFT"?
    Geo F Trumper.

One British classic to try is James Bronnley Original EDT.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

What exactly is "GFT"?

@Hammam Bouquet - I haven´t smelled newer formulations of HB for years but it´s hard to believe that they´ve managed to destroy all of its uniqueness...

Well, the place to go is Trumper's, as most other firms have pretty much killed off their English DNA and are simply selling modern synthetic stuff in Victorian packaging. That includes Floris (execrable down-formulation of No. 89), Penhaligon's (witness the abomination that is No. 33), DR Harris (Arlington has been cheapened) and even neo-trads such as C&S (since no longer made by Forester Milano all just shadows of their former selves) or Creed (nothing but dross in the last years, if you ask me) . That said - though it's hard to keep up with the pace of reformulation - Blenheim and English Fern still seemed nice last time I tried them, while Hammam Bouquet is kaputt for good. You can occasionally find older Floris or C&S flacons online and they are divine - a Floris No. 89 from the 80s or a C&S No. 88 will blow your mind. So will the discontinued Crown Perfumery fragrances whic still float aroundhere and there: Town & Country (Blenheim clone), Sumare, Fougère, grand stuff. Trumper's havs some mopdern scents (GFT, skye), but also really traditional stuff - from the gloomy mossy Eucris to Astor, Wellington, Wild Fern to Extract of West Indian Limes. Superb, old boy.

Truefitt & Hill, they do barbershop classic style British fragrances. My favorite of the bunch is called 'Grafton'

Even though Cologne from The London Grooming Company is modern, it still comes across as, and achieves the smell of a classic British scent.

http://www.londongrooming.co.uk/products/cologne
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove
    Currently wearing: Apple Brandy by By Kilian

I've heard that Penhaligon's has ruined the scent with a reformulation.
    Different, yes, ruined, no.

Some nice suggestions already. I will throw in Atkinsons as I am enjoying what they are doing at the moment. Traditional elements, but modern too.

What exactly is "GFT"?
    Sorry - it's Geo F Trumper as others have mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Well, the place to go is Trumper's, as most other firms have pretty much killed off their English DNA and are simply selling modern synthetic stuff in Victorian packaging. That includes Floris (execrable down-formulation of No. 89), Penhaligon's (witness the abomination that is No. 33), DR Harris (Arlington has been cheapened) and even neo-trads such as C&S (since no longer made by Forester Milano all just shadows of their former selves) or Creed (nothing but dross in the last years, if you ask me) . That said - though it's hard to keep up with the pace of reformulation - Blenheim and English Fern still seemed nice last time I tried them, while Hammam Bouquet is kaputt for good. You can occasionally find older Floris or C&S flacons online and they are divine - a Floris No. 89 from the 80s or a C&S No. 88 will blow your mind. So will the discontinued Crown Perfumery fragrances whic still float aroundhere and there: Town & Country (Blenheim clone), Sumare, Fougère, grand stuff. Trumper's havs some mopdern scents (GFT, skye), but also really traditional stuff - from the gloomy mossy Eucris to Astor, Wellington, Wild Fern to Extract of West Indian Limes. Superb, old boy.

What are your thoughts on the current version C&S Cuba?

Thanks!

This is a house worth looking at. I had forgotten all about it. Anglia Perfumery have recreated a lot of the old Crown Perfumery scents, albeit, with different names. I have smelt quite a few of them, and they are all excellent.

http://www.anglia-perfumery.com/
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove
    Currently wearing: Apple Brandy by By Kilian

So many great suggestions. Thanks!

That's a good tip; might order some samples.

Agree with the_good_life on D.R. Harris items.

Try Mayfair.

Of the old Crown Perfumery line, try Sandringham if you can find it. It has a nice muguet note.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th August 2016 at 09:16 PM.
    "...her fragrance all in my keeping; softly she comes in the night." Lyrics, Gordon Lightfoot, "Softly."

A lot of good suggestions already.

Regards Floris, I'll steer clear of saying 'ruined' but I will say that all modern Floris fragrances have a distinctive sweet base note (not sure if it's a fixer) that I don't enjoy. The best of the bunch is Elite.

I have a soft spot for Truefitt & Hill, having used their Grafton shaving soap for most of this century. I can't honestly recommend any of their fragrances as being worth the money but I will say to anyone that enjoys Grafton they should seek out Union's Quince, Mint & Moss. This is basically an EDP version of that fragrance. In fact Royal Thistle and Gothic Bluebell by Union might be worth a look as well (my favourite from the house is Celtic Fire but that's far from a 'classic British' scent).

Penhaligon's - my favourite house - definitely try English Fern. One of the reviews on BN describes it as the smell of a gentleman in tweeds fresh back from the hunt, which I think is wonderfully evocative and far better than my 'dragged through a lavender hedge backwards'.

Eucris isn't my favourite GFT but it's reputation is deserved and it's worth trying.

I don't know what overlap we have in fragrance taste but you are, of course, welcome to have a look at the 'tried' section of my BN wardrobe, where I've rated a lot of British fragrances.
    Always happy to trade most samples I have for anything on my test list.

Quote Originally Posted by cornishlee View Post
    A lot of good suggestions already.

Regards Floris, I'll steer clear of saying 'ruined' but I will say that all modern Floris fragrances have a distinctive sweet base note (not sure if it's a fixer) that I don't enjoy. The best of the bunch is Elite.

I have a soft spot for Truefitt & Hill, having used their Grafton shaving soap for most of this century. I can't honestly recommend any of their fragrances as being worth the money but I will say to anyone that enjoys Grafton they should seek out Union's Quince, Mint & Moss. This is basically an EDP version of that fragrance. In fact Royal Thistle and Gothic Bluebell by Union might be worth a look as well (my favourite from the house is Celtic Fire but that's far from a 'classic British' scent).

Penhaligon's - my favourite house - definitely try English Fern. One of the reviews on BN describes it as the smell of a gentleman in tweeds fresh back from the hunt, which I think is wonderfully evocative and far better than my 'dragged through a lavender hedge backwards'.

Eucris isn't my favourite GFT but it's reputation is deserved and it's worth trying.

I don't know what overlap we have in fragrance taste but you are, of course, welcome to have a look at the 'tried' section of my BN wardrobe, where I've rated a lot of British fragrances.
    Agreed. Penhaligon's has some really good fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    What are your thoughts on the current version C&S Cuba?

Thanks!
    I have a Made-In-England one from about six years ago. It's nice (if you like fecal notes), but the Italian version integrated the civet better and was generally rounder. Not as bad a reformulation as F&M (totally ruined), (Dark) Rose and No. 88 (all flatter and sweeter, with 88 still wearable but robbed of its pre-Raffaelite grandiosity). I didn't like the new Citrus Paradisi but never smelled the older version. Btw. the very first C&S frags were also Made in England - never had one of them, but supposedly superb.

And if you don't mind going down-market, there is Ben Sherman Gold and Beckham Classic.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Askett & English have provided the world with two sumptuous citrus colognes -- really beautiful juices

Perhaps also Penhaligons sartorial and Yardley Citrus&Wood
    Currently wearing: Black Suede by Avon

What's your opinion on Penhaligon's Douro?

Penhaligons Satorial