Code of Conduct

Thread: Coeur

Question Coeur

Hi,
    recently I come across some fragrances which have the word "COEUR" (French for heart) added to the name:
    Patchouli Coeur, Myrrh Coeur, ...

What is the meaning of this additional word?
    What does it imply?
    (I searched around but found no answer)

Can someone shed some light on this enigma?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Coeur

Heart
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

yes I know the meaning of the word, but what does it imply?

Quote Originally Posted by Godmu View Post
    yes I know the meaning of the word, but what does it imply?
    perhaps it can be interpreted as "the essence" (Coeur) of Patchouli, Myrrh ect.. ))

Basenotes Plus

It can mean the smoothed refined version, with some effort being spent upon removal of the original natural's harsh parts, or undesired molecules, call it a fractionated natural.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

I see

Take an Essential oil and distill out the bits you don't want, keeping the bits that you do. That is the Coeur.

so, a stripped down version
    easier to use, but with less depth

Might sound like I'm splitting hair, but in terms of how I think of those materials when using them, "stripped down" isn't always it. Think of it this way. In theory all you needs to have a "coeur/heart/md" extract is this: first break some natural down into as many parts as possible, and then compose an accord out of the parts. Just like with composing any accord, the possibilities are endless. In many cases what they end up doing is very much toning down the complexity of a material - eg knock that earthy bit down a few notches but keep the rest. But very often it feels to me like the materials just have a different emphasis compared to traditional extracts. Not more simple, different.

In some cases I'd argue the result is more complex. If you think about it some traditional materials are so dominated by some of their facets that their complexity ends up being overshadowed: eg, traditional elemi EOs tend to be dominated by limonene - often between 50-75% on gcms analysis. Knock the limonene way down (like robertet's elemi heart) and what you get smells way more complex - and less generic - to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Iforgot View Post
    Might sound like I'm splitting hair, but in terms of how I think of those materials when using them, "stripped down" isn't always it. Think of it this way. In theory all you needs to have a "coeur/heart/md" extract is this: first break some natural down into as many parts as possible, and then compose an accord out of the parts. Just like with composing any accord, the possibilities are endless. In many cases what they end up doing is very much toning down the complexity of a material - eg knock that earthy bit down a few notches but keep the rest. But very often it feels to me like the materials just have a different emphasis compared to traditional extracts. Not more simple, different.

In some cases I'd argue the result is more complex. If you think about it some traditional materials are so dominated by some of their facets that their complexity ends up being overshadowed: eg, traditional elemi EOs tend to be dominated by limonene - often between 50-75% on gcms analysis. Knock the limonene way down (like robertet's elemi heart) and what you get smells way more complex - and less generic - to me.
    Iíd agree with this.

The truth is adding Coeur to a material name is just marketing - it doesnít mean anything consistent - except that the starting material was natural and something has been done to it. Some suppliers routinely use this term for what another supplier would call MD (for molecular distilled) or Rectified: so with any given material youíre going to have to look at the technical specification and smell it to know what youíre dealing with.
    ďBattle cries and champagne just in time for sunrise.
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

Fine fragrances hand made in The Shire
    Quality perfume making ingredients
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume
    If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog for more info about perfumes and perfumery.