Code of Conduct

Default Current Guerlain Vetiver longevity and the effects of maturation?

There are some very conflicting reports on the longevity of the current formulation of Guerlain Vetiver.
    My own light samplings seem to have yielded up very good projection for a couple of hours followed by a lovely but shortish (4 hour?) skin scent. My question is: has anyone noticed that it improves as the bottle ages? I have had several bottles of the post-2011 Eau Sauvage (and one of Yatagan) that have become noticeably richer and more tenacious after about three months or so, and have read much speculation online about the deepening of vetiver based fragrances in particular over time. I’d like to try to get to the bottom of this, because I love this scent (no suggested substitutes, please).
    Last edited by J_Luna; 7th September 2016 at 04:13 AM.
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Default Re: Current Guerlain Vetiver longevity and the effects of maturation?

I should add to that that part of my curiosity stems from remarks made in older threads (those comparing, for instance, the ribbed, 'aldehydic' 90's formulation to the older EDT) that aging bottles seemed to relate more readily to their predecessors. I think it's the blogger 'Monsieur Guerlain' who points out that nobody really knows how much aging has changed our perceptions of the existing stock of older GV incarnations (like the fabled EDC...)

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I don't know if the current formulation improves as it ages, as I don't own it but have recently sprayed it in store on myself. For me, on my skin longevity was on par with what I own which is from late 60s, so I didn't notice any significant weakness or improvement in performance. Just my experience.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks Hednic... I notice from past threads that your experience with some other fragrances (sp. Eau Sauvage) seems to parallel mine, so I'm happy to hear from you.

"has anyone noticed that it improves as the bottle ages?"

no
    my 10 favorite fragrances (21 September 2017):
    - Epic Man (Amouage)
    - Blackpepper (Comme des Garcons)
    - Avignon (Comme des Garcons)
    - Luxe Patchouli (Comme des Garcons)
    - Serge Noire (Serge Lutens)
    - Eau Sauvage Parfum 2012 (Dior)
    - Timbuktu (L'Artisan Parfumeur)
    - Aoud Leather (Montale)
    - Iris Silver Mist (Serge Lutens)
    - Patchouli Absolu (Tom Ford)

Interesting thoughts seems ive always found the last of my guerlain vetiver bottles perform better....always put iy down to my addiction for it lol

Well, there are theories, of course... One is ongoing maceration, and another is that as topnotes (the most volatile) break down over time, one tends to notice the heart and base notes more. That certainly seems that way with a bottle of Eau Sauvage I have, which is about a year old and 1/4 full.

No improvements from bottle again, although owning indeed a batch of this fragrance purchased around 2008-2009 (thus, most likely an early 2000s formulation) and noticed that it is mostly a skin scent, moderately projecting and with about 4-6 hours of longevity.

Having tested pre-2000 bottles/releases as well, just not owned nor routinely worn them, personally sensed these ones as more noticeable and longer lasting, with far more projection as well, although did not observe them over period of time lengthy enough to notice any major effect, change (and possible improvement) through aging.
    Currently wearing: Ambré Noble by Zara

Quote Originally Posted by J_Luna View Post
    I should add to that that part of my curiosity stems from remarks made in older threads (those comparing, for instance, the ribbed, 'aldehydic' 90's formulation to the older EDT)
    The ribbed bottle is not from the 90's but from 2000-2010.
    In 2010 the reformulated it again and used the Habit Rouge shaped bottle again which they also used for Guerlain Vetiver pre-2000.

I own 2x a 125ml frosted ribbed bottle and imo the main difference with current incarnation is depth, performance and the use of tobacco. The frosted wins on all aspects and the current version is almost like a Vetiver-fresh to my nose lacking depth and being much lighter.
    My Top '11' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: pour homme (vtg)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Ferrari: Essence Oud Edp
    - Dior: Fahrenheit (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Mancera: Cedrat Boise
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Knize Ten
    - Amouage: Interlude