Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Just Starting Out Sponsor
    Banned

Default Re: Classic Barbershop Smell without smelling like old man...possible?

Replica At the Barber

Replica At The Barbers is not a bad shout. Although I tried this again today and whilst great for its type, barber scents always always suit people of the 60+ I feel. I would say it is a better shout than Rive Gauche though for not trying to be too old man.

One other person mentioned this, but Houbigant Fougère Royale is a first-rate option.
    The Brooks Otterlake Sale Thread

Holiday Favorites
    Bentley for Men Intense, Franck Boclet Tobacco, L'Erbolario Méharées, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford for Men Extreme

Just wearing in the RG I got not so long ago and it's darn good.
    And seems like it fits "Classic Barbershop Smell without smelling like old man" securely.
    As would Azzaro PH.
    Now I see Lalique PH mentioned - I never thought it particularly barbershopy - but now in with RG in my nose-brain-memory - I see that - it has that nice masculine groomed "fuzz" too.
    I guess its a grey (ha no pun intended!) area. If one has a preference for barbershop smells - than I can see that the same person would not always see them as old man and vice versa.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by IvanTheNotSoBad View Post
    Hello!
    I'm new here but have been enjoying the forums for quite a bit. I was on the search of a new signature scent and tried several decants and samples. I find myself gravitating towards more classic/barbershop smells. Unfortunetaly, the ones I like the most are the ones my SO says I smell like old man. I'm in my early forties so perhaps old man is relative

Dunhill Icon
    AdP Colonia

Any recommendations for something that both of us will enjoy.

My current signature fragrances are Armani Code and Prada Amber Intense.

Your help is appreciated!
    Boucheron Pour Homme EDP?

Hello,
    Have you tried Chanel Platinum Egoiste?
    Best,
    BruceB

Basenotes Plus

+1 Chanel Platinum Egoiste

I find these non dated:

Azzaro Pour Homme
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT/EDP
    Boucheron Pour Homme EDT/EDP
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

The Fougère category itself is slowly being relegated to niche and vintage styles, thanks to the proliferation of fresh ambrox and sweet woody amber scents becoming the norm in the masculine realm, but with that being said, there are still a few examples that will only seem semi-dated.

Versace Pour Homme Dylan Blue (2014): This merges the fougère accord with the modern fruity ambrox/synth woods style. It's almost the antichrist here among "the noses", but if you excise snobbery from the equation, it's not a bad 90's meets 2010's kind of mash-up that has the fruity fresh 90's thing mixing with the clean barbershop thing, but with the currently-trendy finish that mashes evernyl (veramoss) with a synth ambergris and woods.

Prada Luna Rossa Carbon (2017): A lavender-forward classic barbershop tone with an updated dry woody amber base that is also much more in line with current masculine trends, but still has that wet shaving feel to it. Another scent that will roll eyes on this board, but if you're trying to avoid smelling like you spend time on a fragrance forum but at the same time get that barbershop feel, this is your ticket.

If you start veering into niche, which has more accurate barbershop styles, you'll ultimately seem "dated" because they intentionally seek to achieve that classic style. I can name them, some have already been named, but outside vintage examples or niche, this is probably the best you can do. Barbershop and "old" are intertwined at the moment unless the pendulum swings back in favor of the style again.
    oh look, I have a signature

Freed from BN Institution

One example that I can think of is Creed Baie de Genievre. I do get a barbershop feel from it but it doesn't come as smelling extremely dated.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Amouage Bracken, TF Fougere d'Argent, and MDCI Invasion Barbare are a few modern takes on the classic barbershop vibe that I'd recommend checking out.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    Currently wearing: Oud Minérale by Tom Ford

My favorite Creed. I have a standing order for it whenever--IF ever--it becomes unvaulted.
    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    One example that I can think of is Creed Baie de Genievre. I do get a barbershop feel from it but it doesn't come as smelling extremely dated.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    TF Fougere d'Argent
    That's a good one that does not smell dated at all.

+ Azzaro Pour Homme.

I don’t know why but Azzaro Pour Homme always strikes me as the quintessential barbershop fragrance

OP here...so awesome seeing more and more recommendations come in. Lots of good ones. In the end, my SO still not a big fan of Dunhill Icon but she loves two that I got based on this thread. YSL Rive Gauche and Amouage Bracken Man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IvanTheNotSoBad View Post
    OP here...so awesome seeing more and more recommendations come in. Lots of good ones. In the end, my SO still not a big fan of Dunhill Icon but she loves two that I got based on this thread. YSL Rive Gauche and Amouage Bracken Man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bracken is seriously good, and you can get it sometimes for half the retail online, so it isn't so ouchy on the wallet.
    oh look, I have a signature

-
    Boy Chanel

Closer to the fougere genre's original intent of ease and quiet power.

Try Acqua di Portofino Uomo or Azzaro Edition Noire for instance.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari