Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wanted: Long lasting true violet

From what I gather, this may be a tall order to fill, but here goes.

I adore violet. I have some violet water, and a violet (among other things, but mostly violet) perfume, and violet cream (the longest lasting of the three because it's oily). The perfume is gone after a couple of hours, at best (I usually get around 1 hour before it's mostly gone, and 2-3 before it's entirely gone.) I love that true violet scent, but my understanding is that it's not one that sticks around very long. (Then again the perfume I have is not made by a professional perfumer, so I'm certain that there must be better out there.)

So I'm looking for: true violet, long lasting, preferably modern (vintage is appealing but it will be tricky to find and then if I love it, I might never find it again!)

Any ideas?

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Default Re: Wanted: Long lasting true violet

Have you tried Cologne Fine Violette de Parme by Institut Très Bien? This might be one to consider. Another is I Miss Violet by The Different Company.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have you tried Cologne Fine Violette de Parme by Institut Très Bien? This might be one to consider. Another is I Miss Violet by The Different Company.
    I have not tried them, I think I have heard of Violette de Parme (although maybe there is more than one with a similar name?) I'll check them out. Thanks!

Blog Entries

I went on a violets binge about 4 or 5 years ago. There are plenty of violets fragrances!
    Here are a few:

• My own favorite: Annick Goutal La Violette
    • The favorite of a friend who works in horticulture: Santa Maria Novella Violetta
    • Another that is appreciated by many, which I once owned-- this one has violet leaf as well as violet flower notes and is a bit greener: Penhaligon's Violetta (hmm, looks like it was discontinued recently but I'm sure there are still bottles around.)
    • A commonly-recommended one: Borsari Violetta di Parma
    • A slightly fruity violet (raspberry note): Berdoues Violettes de Toulouse
    • A hard to find (and pricey when you find it) discontinued violet, but lovely: Guerlain Météorites (the scent of their face powder pearls)

There are so many other perfumes with violet notes, but the above are soliflore violets.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 9th September 2016 at 05:32 PM.

Seconding the Penhaligon, if it still exists. Lasts decently on me.

If you are willing to have violet plus something else, there's the expensive Chanel Misia (violet iris, for a retro lipstick effect). Or, the best of all, vintage Jolie Madame (leather and violet, both sweet and butch at the same time)-vintage only, though.

cacio

Thanks guys! Violet and something else is fine too, it's just predominant violet that I'm looking for. I'm looking again at Insolence, which I tested in store last time I was looking for berry. I had no idea what violets smelled like then, and I was appalled by Insolence. Now I'm in love with violet and should give it another go. (And of course all you guys' suggestions as well!)

Why not get Violet EO, dilute it, and overlay over your favorite fragrances that can stand it. That way, you can adjust the potency and re-apply as needed, and be able to enjoy various scents with it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max Magnus View Post
    Why not get Violet EO, dilute it, and overlay over your favorite fragrances that can stand it. That way, you can adjust the potency and re-apply as needed, and be able to enjoy various scents with it...
    My understanding is that violet is one of those fragrances that are created synthetically because there isn't really any EO of the flower, although I see one of the leaf.

Here is an excerpt from Chandler Burr's article, "Ghost Flowers":

"Put a few tons of violet flower into a solvent, and you extract ... a limp material that smells nothing like violet. “Theoretically, distilling violet is possible,” an industry figure told me, “but in reality the yield is always so vanishingly small it’s financially impossible. A pure violet flower absolute would be much more than $10,000 a kilo, if you could make it work.” The violet implacably refuses to surrender its smell.

"And so perfumers recreate it: mix 2,6-nonadienal + beta-ionone + dihydro-beta-ionone + alpha-ionone and a few others, and there’s your scent of violet."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/25/st...ted=print&_r=0

Here is a good article:
    http://www.cosmeticsbusiness.com/tec..._violets/46761

Here is another article that you may find interesting:
    http://boisdejasmin.com/2005/11/iono...materials.html

Perfume Shrine blog had a series on violets:
    http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.gr/sea...grance%20guide
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 9th September 2016 at 06:53 PM. Reason: weird typos

great info above, thanks!

Molinard - not the new one that was just released, but the exiting much less expensive "Violette" is also quite nice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Magnus View Post
    Violet Leaf Essential oil does not smell of Violets. It is dark green in appearance and odour. No other Violet Essential oil exists (as far as I am aware). ANy Violet smelling oil will be a synthetic base.

Caron's N'aimez que moi should be on your sample list. Very old-school but soft and enveloping... a bit like sugared violets without being overtly sweet. It is only available in extrait form from Caron directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Caron's N'aimez que moi should be on your sample list. Very old-school but soft and enveloping... a bit like sugared violets without being overtly sweet. It is only available in extrait form from Caron directly.
    Thanks! I can't find it on Caron's website (which is all in French and I can't read French.) Do you have a link to it?

I think I recall correctly, in the U.S. people call a Diane from Caron in New York. She tends to have the fountain extraits that are available in Caron boutiques in Paris and ships them to you. Could anyone from the U.S. come in here please!?

They do have a website in English
    https://www.parfumscaron.com/en/
    There appears to be a store in NYC
    https://www.parfumscaron.com/en/new-...ral-place.html

cacio

Fountains? Oh, WOW. That's fantastic. Worth going just to see!!!!! It seems it is in France, though, and I have no international travel plans any time soon. What a marvelous step into a prior decade!

They used to have some fountains in their previous store in NYC as well, but I don't know if they are still there in the new one. Good as they may look, Caron has been reformulating extensively, so the stuff that's inside the fountains need not be good.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    They used to have some fountains in their previous store in NYC as well, but I don't know if they are still there in the new one. Good as they may look, Caron has been reformulating extensively, so the stuff that's inside the fountains need not be good.

cacio
    That's a shame. I realize that reformulation is a necessary evil due to regulations (which seem completely unnecessary to me. If you're allergic to something, don't use it! Seems like a no brainer right?) Still, it's a sad thing.

When did they change locations from Phyto Universe Salon on Lexington?

I think the Phyto salon closed one or two years ago, so they probably just got a space somewhere else. I have not been to the new store. They probably just moved the stock there (although a lot could have been used as floor cleaner), plus got the ugly new expensive bottles.

Kaelee
    a shame really. But Caron has been on average worse than others in reformulating. Perhaps also because they had very distinctive perfumes, rich in forbidden materials. I have not smelled the N'aimez que moi larimar referred to, so i don't know about its current status, it could still be good.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I think the Phyto salon closed one or two years ago, so they probably just got a space somewhere else. I have not been to the new store. They probably just moved the stock there (although a lot could have been used as floor cleaner), plus got the ugly new expensive bottles.
    cacio
    Thanks. Have to remember to stop by their new location soon.

If you want Violet try Insolence EDP. A Willie Wonka reality
    The years teach us much, which the days never knew
    Currently wearing: Bleu by Paul & Joe

Perhaps also April Violets by Yardley

I like Lush Kerbside Violet and Atelier Cologne Sous le Toit de Paris.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Just today I tried Violetta by Santa Maria Novella.

As recommended by 30 Roses, it is excellent, true, and long-lasting.

I Miss Violet by The Different Company is also quite nice.
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelee View Post
    Thanks guys! Violet and something else is fine too, it's just predominant violet that I'm looking for. I'm looking again at Insolence, which I tested in store last time I was looking for berry. I had no idea what violets smelled like then, and I was appalled by Insolence. Now I'm in love with violet and should give it another go. (And of course all you guys' suggestions as well!)
    Try the one in the purple bottle not the pink, it's much more violetty. It's almost too potent for me.
    Currently wearing: Santal Blush by Tom Ford

Basenotes Institution

I own Royal Violets by Agustin Reyes (a real cheapie!) and I also love Violet Blonde by Tom Ford.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hi Kaelee, the EDP of Insolence is a different treatment and is much more violet dominant. See the reviews and the one at Bois de Jasmin. Anastasia is correct, the purple one is the EDP All the best
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen View Post
    Try the one in the purple bottle not the pink, it's much more violetty. It's almost too potent for me.
    The years teach us much, which the days never knew
    Currently wearing: Bleu by Paul & Joe

Basenotes Plus

Today I wore Violetta Fumee by Mona di Orio which I thought was beautiful. It's violets violets violets and some tobacco to me. It lasted very well for a violet but I used the entire little decant that was sent to me.

Also love Violet blonde by Tom Ford which I stocked up on. But of the two Mona di Orio is more long lasting and more violets!

Edit to add ...Violetta Fumee is sold out and was told it sells out very quickly when they get new stock in.
    Last edited by Sea Roses; 14th September 2016 at 10:23 PM.
    "Women hold up half the sky" - Mao Zedong
    Currently wearing: Saffron Rose by Grossmith

Basenotes Plus

Excellent suggestions so far. I'll add my favorite violet perfume, Caron Aimez-Moi. I am unfamiliar with the most recent formulation. I have lucked out several times in sourcing out vintage from ebay. Look for this packaging:

Not a violet soliflore but it's beautiful and I just love it. It has spicy top notes with violet and anise. The anise fades a bit as it dries down. The basenotes are lightly ambered and vanillic with a touch of the dark Caron undercurrent.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Je Reviens by Worth