Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Just a good bar of soap

Do you want a soap or any solid bar?
    Because neither Dove nor Sebamed have bar soap. They only have syndets. Not everything that looks like a soap bar is soap bar.
    I only use real soap and I always have several of them, just to fit my mood.

Some of my favorites are:

Tabac Original

Some of the soaps from Savon du Midi (don't know if they are available outside Germany, as they are produced in France but the brand seems to be located in Berlin?), most of all lavender, linden blossom and the raw but lovely vetiver

A cheap but lovely sandalwood soap by Kappus

The Devil's Nightcap soap by Lush, containing oakmoss absolute, oakmoss extract as well as the actual lichen
    The synthetic perfume materials are supposed to enhance and support the use of natural raw materials, not to replace them, nor in any way to beat them off the market. The synthetic chemicals present a certain challenge to nature, and the perfumer can assist nature in her fight by utilizing the synthetic materials to the advantage of the natural raw materials. (S. Arctander)

Always be smelling

Mysore Sandal.
    Love it
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by NebelGeīst View Post
    Tabac Original
    It's the only shaving soap I use...

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bśzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by NebelGeīst View Post

A cheap but lovely sandalwood soap by Kappus
    This looks very interesting.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I've been using Castelbel soaps (from Portugal) with great results. I found them at Marshalls (US) at around $3.99. These are high quality soaps that go a long way.

One tip: After rinsing I don't dry myself, I just let my skin absorb the water for greater humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Caldopollo View Post
    I've been using Castelbel soaps (from Portugal) with great results. I found them at Marshalls (US) at around $3.99. These are high quality soaps that go a long way.

One tip: After rinsing I don't dry myself, I just let my skin absorb the water for greater humidity.
    Another vote for Castelbel soaps. The company also does private label soaps, and once Xscentrik gets on a solid footing, I may ask them to do a custom soap for us.

Xscentrik will carry Claus Porto from day one, which is probably my favorite soap brand - I haven't found one better in terms of lather, skin feel, or fragrance. We'll also carry two other brands, one of them being Rancé, from day one.

Interestingly, there are more handmade soapmakers in Fort Wayne than microbreweries. But no one makes a profit on them (buyer or seller) - and we've already determined that while we will give to charity, we can't be a charity when it comes to selling products. While we can never say never, we won't sell the local brands until the excess capacity is "washed away" from the market, which looks like it's starting as I speak.
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Niche & Hard-To-Find Sale (US Only): Frederic Malle, vintage Infusion de Vetiver, By Kilian

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bśzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by pacamu View Post
    Attachment 56632
    I use this once a week.
    Is this widely available?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

This is the soap I use every day and night. I have used it for the past 5 years. This is the best soap I have ever used because it lathers up like crazy and it doesn't dry my skin like some of the other soaps I've used.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For a long time I used Taylors of Old Bond St sandalwood, but grew tired of it and for the past couple of years I've mainly used Dove's basic beauty bar. I enjoy the latter's aldehydic freshness and it doesn't leave my skin feeling dry and tight afterwards. That said, I'm bored with it too now and am on the hunt for something a bit more interesting smelling. This thread has given me some nice suggestions. Thanks, all!

I switched from gels and bodywashes to soap completely, which is one of the best things I ever did for my skin and hair. Most times I'm using huge bars of so called Aleppo Soap from different brands. This is a pretty raw, unscented olive oil soap with 30% of laurel oil blended in. Another very good scented soap is Maja by Miyurgia of Spain (recently made in Mexico) which has a dark powdery spicy orange blossom musky scent. Another brilliant line with good ingredients comes from Marseilles/France. They have a nice Patchouly soap.
    Currently wearing: Sandalo by Etro

Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    This is the soap I use every day and night. I have used it for the past 5 years. This is the best soap I have ever used because it lathers up like crazy and it doesn't dry my skin like some of the other soaps I've used.

This (Kirk's Coco Castile) is the best stuff ever. And you can buy a three-pack at Walmart for $3.28.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pacamu View Post
    Attachment 56632
    I use this once a week.
    The African Black is really good, too. They sell it at Whole Foods for $5 a bar. Sometimes they'll do a two-for-one sale. Stock up!
    Last edited by RC.; 5th January 2017 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RC. View Post
    This (Kirk's Coco Castile) is the best stuff ever. And you can buy a three-pack at Walmart for $3.28.

- - - Updated - - -

The African Black is really good, too. They sell it at Whole Foods for $5 a bar. Sometimes they'll do a two-for-one sale. Stock up!
    [emoji106]

3 picks for me
    1. Molton Brown Black Pepper Soap
    2. Malki Dead Sea Mineral Soap
    3. Good old Coal Tar soap - love the smell!

Either of these two for me;

61xEa6IpaEL._SX522_.jpg

PRFM-156063.jpg

The Clinique is my preferred choice and "unscented", the 4711 has a fresh/clean type scent to it (I use this as beard soap).

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

The jury is out on whether Cinthol is a "true" soap or a syndet (assuming the latter, these days) but if anyone enjoys the masterpiece from Pascal Morabito that is Or Black, you'll certainly enjoy the scent of this, as it shares a number of similarities. It's super popular in India from what I understand, and is mass-produced accordingly, so I would guess it is a syndet, but can't say for sure.

Thanks to epapsiou for the tip!
    Currently wearing: Ruh by Pekji

I recently discovered african black Dudu Osun soap. This is the best soap I have ever used. It lathers extremely nice, fast and creamy. There's a peeling effect to it. I'm using this for everything (body/hair/wet shaving). It has a strong dark scent, somewhat ambery-woody, chypre, floral oriental, yet it's said to be 100% natural. This scent reminds me of 80s/90s powerhouse stuff but washes off easily and doesn't interfere with my perfumes. A total winner.
    Currently wearing: Sandalo by Etro

Kiehl's Ultimate Man Body Scrub Soap.... I know it's pricey, but it's worth every cent. No heavy scent, super exfoliation (it's like getting a gentle backscratch) and oatmeal to moisturize. Because it's a very large bar, it lasts a bit longer than others; also, I know a number of gents who cut the bar in half when they get it home, leave half in the shower and carry the other half in their gym bag.

/Users/acordero/Desktop/Ultimate_Man_Body_Scrub_Soap_3700194718053_7.0oz.. jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, meant to attach image above....

Ultimate_Man_Body_Scrub_Soap_3700194718053_7.0oz..jpg