Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Is Bond now a Basenotes Bust ?

It seems like the interest in this company is near zero here, at least in this forum. How many of you had more interest in Bond No. 9 scents a year or more ago? And what is the explanation?

Default Re: Is Bond now a Basenotes Bust ?

They basically shot themselves in the foot, they made it practically impossible for anyone who doesn't live near a bond retailer to sample their fragrances.
    I came here to talk fragrances & chew bubblegum.. and i'm all out of bubblegum.

Basenotes Plus

I may be in the minority but I love their fragrances
    Follow me on Instagram @ Bay_Area_Cologne_King
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    They basically shot themselves in the foot, they made it practically impossible for anyone who doesn't live near a bond retailer to sample their fragrances.
    So true, if you're in the UK they charge a stupidly high amount of postage (even for their samples) plus aside from the one or two decent ones from this house everything else borrows very heavily from already released and much cheaper scents.

I've definitely noticed the drop in the amount of discussion of the brand.

Whether or not this translates to anything in terms of a drop in sales, I couldn't say. I suspect that it has next to no impact.
    Touched by his noodly appendage 😇

I've sampled a few but I'm pretty much indifferent to the brand.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

Come to think of it they have dropped off the radar here.

A lot of people were unhappy about the non supply of samples. I went online a couple of years ago to order samples. They were asking something like 100 dollars for postage. I haven't bothered much with them since. Customer service is poor.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Blog Entries

I started a "Bn9 Complaint" thread awhile back b/c while I've found some very nice offerings from them (NY Amber, NY Musk) Their business model SUCKS. They used to sell samples so you could try before you commit to their (overpriced) full bottles, but lately they refuse to sell any samples. I've called and emailed and was basically told that If I wasn't interested in blind-buying a full bottle or driving 4 hours to their store to try them, they didn't need my business.
    I've tried almost all of them and only found maybe 3 that I bought. If you don't like their juice once you buy it, BE CAREFUL trying to resell it on EBAY. Bn9 has registered formal complaints against "Copyright violations" against Ebayers who show Bn9's logo on Ebay. They DON'T want anyone to sell their product but themselves. Bond contacted Ebay and said that I was selling fakes, and Ebay pulled my listing. Funny thing- I bought them from the Bn9 Store, so if they were fakes Bond was selling its own products as fakes!!!! Too much drama for me. Much better houses out there.
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 13th September 2016 at 09:41 AM.
    I have a TON of Full Bottles/Decants/Samples for trade/sale. Montale, Oud Oils, Amouage, Mancera, Penhaligon's
    Currently wearing: Jicky by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    The only source for me was Nordstrom who dropped the line. Samples are no longer sold and old customers are apparently no longer sent any samples. I have no interest in Bond anymore and agree with you completely. Plus...Fumerie opened in Portland last year and I now have a place to sample and buy some truly wonderful niche scents
    Most worn scents according to my haphazard use of the SOTD...so perhaps my favorites.
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (24 wears)
    2. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (22 wears)
    3. M7 by Yves Saint Laurent (18 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (15 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (14 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (13 wears)
    7. Interlude Man by Amouage (12 wears plus)
    8. Journey Man by Amouage (12 wears)
    9. Terré d'Hermés by Hermés (12 wears)
    10. Sycomore by Channel (11 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

This is a house that I am very excited to try. I've tried a few, a bon bons work for me. You can buy any sample in bon bons for like 4 bucks each. I have procrastinated on buying my first Bond 9.

Which should I buy first?

Chez Bond
    Scent of peace for him
    Hamptons
    New York oud
    Eau de new York
    New Haarlem

I was so close to buying new haarlem but then I found a dior Eau Noire the discontinued one. It's a better version of new haarlem (not as cloying)

Irrelevant and overpriced house

I've owned probably 20. I kept 1 for sentimental reasons-gift from family-but sold or swapped all the others. Their scents just don't have much depth to me. The 3 best are probably Bleecker, Central Park and New Haarlem. They're very good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysin5506 View Post
    This is a house that I am very excited to try. I've tried a few, a bon bons work for me. You can buy any sample in bon bons for like 4 bucks each. I have procrastinated on buying my first Bond 9.

Which should I buy first?

Read the thread closely- They quit selling the samples, you can't buy the samples from them, and they have no interest in you unless you walk into their shop in NYC and buy a full bottle for $300. Perhaps you can get a few samples from individual sellers on EBAY, but as I said, the company is being a jerk and trying to force everyone to stop selling their product, so good luck finding what you want.
    I have a TON of Full Bottles/Decants/Samples for trade/sale. Montale, Oud Oils, Amouage, Mancera, Penhaligon's

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I've sampled a few but I'm pretty much indifferent to the brand.
    This

Lots of official retailers dropped the line because it was not selling. Personally love a lot of their outings even though they have flaunted it many times. Guess their selling policies are a tad irritant, the shipping costs are ludicrous!

I don't like the way they do business, as others said, and to me they smell like a $20 designer

Love Chez Bond and Hamptons, 2 of my favourite fragrances.
    My top 20

1. Gucci Envy / D&G By Man
    2. Creed Aventus / Mancera Cedrat Boise
    3. Dior Homme Intense / D&G The One EDP
    4. Dior Homme Cologne / ADG
    5. YSL La Nuit / Chez Bond
    6. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino Aqua / Chanel Allure Homme Sport EDT
    7. Viktor & Rolf Antidote / PDM Pegasus
    8. Gucci Pour Homme / Armani Attitude
    9. Serge Lutens Santal Majuscule / PDM Layton
    10. Armani Code Ultimate / YSL M7

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell_ View Post
    I don't like the way they do business, as others said, and to me they smell like a $20 designer
    +1.
    Currently wearing: Havana by Aramis

Was once a big fan, but not so much anymore. Still some EXCELLENT stuff (Chez Bond, Bleecker Street, SoPFH, etc.), but a really bad business. I don't seek out everything that comes out now like I used to. I own quite a few bottles, but I don't see me adding any more.

I doubt Basenotes has any real impact on sales for them, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if they were struggling.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Xerjoff - Nio
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    9. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    10. Creed - Virgin Island Water

I think, like Amouage, they had a 'golden period' and I purchased at least 10 from them during that time. I think they have lost whatever 'mystique' they had in the past and have bought only 2 in the last 18 months or so - just not that impressed with recent juices and the prices are now ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstench408 View Post
    You're not alone.

I really like the brand. Some of my favorite scents are from Bond.

While I live near retailers and can easily get my nose on them, I still do not see this sample thing as any more a big deal than some other companies not offering them directly. As a matter of fact, I just went to Dior's website because I want a sample of Granville and guess what? I didn't notice sample sizes for sale on the official site. Or a sample set. I'd love a Dior Privee sample set. Am I missing it?

I've smelled everything Bond offers, but I'm still interested in them enough to check out new fragrances.

I think there's not as much chatter on BN because the majority does not hate them or love them as passionately as other houses or specific releases. Since I already picked on Dior, look at Sauvage. People have gotten in some downright nasty discussions over this one. One side shouting it's a magical lady killer love juice, the other saying it is a chemical synthetic mess with no depth. If Chez Bond got the advertising of Sauvage, we'd likely see a few arguments about it on BN. But that's just speculation.

Regards

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post

I just went to Dior's website because I want a sample of Granville and guess what? I didn't notice sample sizes for sale on the official site. Or a sample set. I'd love a Dior Privee sample set. Am I missing

Regards
    From the Dior Website, clicked on Granville:

CHOICE OF COMPLIMENTARY SAMPLES

With any purchase, choose up to two complimentary samples from a wide selection of iconic house products.

Virtually every Niche house offers samples for sale b/c they know you could probably never experience their frags without purchasing samples. Many will send free complimentary samples if you ask. Some have "discovery sets" with samples of a wide variety of their juices. Dept. store frags sometimes do not offer to sell samples b/c most people live close enough to a store to go in and spritz their product. It is irritating that most dept. store frags have stopped offering samples at the counter to take home and try. The juice is the LEAST expensive component and they are most stingy with it.
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 13th September 2016 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I really like the brand. Some of my favorite scents are from Bond.
    Care to share your thoughts on whats good and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post

With any purchase, choose up to two complimentary samples from a wide selection of iconic house products.
    It doesn't include the Privee range of which there aren't any samples unless you go in store and spray onto yourself.

I really like quite a few from them. The OP is right, not as much chatter for sure.
    Currently wearing: Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post

Virtually every Niche house offers samples for sale b/c they know you could probably never experience their frags without purchasing samples. Many will send free complimentary samples if you ask. Some have "discovery sets" with samples of a wide variety of their juices. Dept. store frags sometimes do not offer to sell samples b/c most people live close enough to a store to go in and spritz their product. It is irritating that most dept. store frags have stopped offering samples at the counter to take home and try. The juice is the LEAST expensive component and they are most stingy with it.
    Sweet!!! Wait I have to purchase first in that case? That doesn't benefit me, as I'm not going to blind buy from their Privee line.

But I do understand your point. I just don't see the sample thing, as aggravating and stupid as it is, as the one thing I'm going to stand on to write off Bond. Of course, I have easy access to Bond, so that really wouldn't be an issue to me. A better reason IMO would be that they're about to go up on their pricing again (according to a local retailer) this month. I think Bond's pricing is my biggest issue with them. Although, I order them through online discounters for savings.

Thanks for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    I really like a number of Bond offerings, so I'll respond to this though it wasn't directed at me specifically.

Now, I don't have nearly the expertise/knowledge of most people on this site: but, maybe that's also the particular value I have to offer. I can discuss the appeal from a non-expert perspective.

1. West Side: I hadn't ever smelled anything like this. It has a wild roses smell... like rose petals floating in wine: and, for me, retaining a very masculine quality. And, this odd roses/boozy type smell just lingers and lingers.
    2. Scent of Peace For Him: for me, this is some fascinating blend of citrus smells and a pineapple floating around. The smell of this makes me happy. It's that simple.
    3. Coney Island: to me, this smells like a better version of Acqua di Gio... it evokes a feeling of being on a sort of dirty boardwalk at twilight. There's something a little bit bitter and off-putting about it that's also appealing.
    4. Eau de New York: for me this is like the smell of lemon made magical... reminds me of a higher-quality Versace Pour Homme.
    5. New Haarlem: I have a hard time describing this, but it's just a rough and masculine smell that makes me feel good. People describe this as a breakfast/pancake/coffee smell, but to me it's just a manly sort of accord that's hard to put into words.

I find that all of these fragrances last for a long time and project pretty well. And, it's hard to explain why, but they all just smell expensive and high-quality to me.

ADDED:
    6. Chez Bond: this smells cheap to me and very similar to Cool Water. It doesn't seem to have any interesting development. Edit: After wearing this again, to be fair, I need to add that this now doesn't smell cheap to me. It smells of quality. But, it is very similar to Cool Water, and I still don't find it very interesting.
    7. New York Musk: this has a delicious, rich smell.
    8. Wall Street: this is the only Bond that I've actually disliked. For me, it has a repugnant sort of sweaty/urine quality: on my skin, at least.
    9. Hamptons: I find this to be very smooth and subtle.
    10. Bleecker St.: I had never smelled anything similar to this blueberry/gourmand accord. Unfortunately, this had poor longevity on me.

It's my impression that---in many cases, not all---Bond might appeal more to people with less expertise. There is one thing in life that I know a lot about, and to be honest... that knowledge actually prevents me from enjoying a lot of output. I'm sketching this idea very briefly here.

Additionally, it's my impression that a distinguishing factor of Bond No. 9 is that---more so than other houses---there is clearly a social/ideological bend that's part of their brand/aesthetic. I'd say that this is actually indisputable. This facet of their branding could possibly be off-putting to some. Again, that notion is very briefly sketched here.
    Last edited by Alex Krycek; 18th September 2016 at 01:11 PM. Reason: adding some thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstench408 View Post
    Me too!
    Currently wearing: Blue Jeans by Versace

Default Is Bond now a Basenotes Bust ?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Sure. Great question.

I think
    -I Love NY for Fathers is a good scent. It's clean, easy to wear and long lasting. One of my go-to office scents. Highly complimented as well, if that matters to anyone.

-Bleeker Street is another easy to wear long-lasting fragrance. Suitable for office as well, or really any occasion.

-Shelter Island was a gift from my wife, and it holds sentimental value to me.

-NY Amber is one of my favorite amber fragrances. It's a beast on the opening but has a smooth enduring drydown.

-Wall Street has a clean and somewhat spicy smell that I really enjoy.

-Chez Bond. If you like GIT, I don't see how you couldn't like this one.

-New York Oud. This is my go-to fragrance for business dinner dates in the fall and winter. It's elegant, it's smooth and it's enduring.

-New Orleans (purple bottle for women, limited edition). This is the most beautiful fragrance I've ever smelled on my wife. It goes with her perfectly. It is heavy and yet not a boomer. Great scent that I enjoy smelling when I'm up close to her.

And those are not all of them that I enjoy. I don't feel like typing out the entire list, but this helps give and idea of what I like and even one I LOVE.

Regards