Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Default What Fragrance to Wear to a Salvador Dali Exhibition? (No Les Parfums Salvador Dali)

Going to go to a Salvador Dali exhibition tomorrow - what scent should I wear or what scent would you wear?

Do not bother with suggestions from the Les Parfums Salvador Dali (too basic) or that I just wear whatever the F I want (because that's what I'm going to do anyway).

Cheers
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Default Re: What Fragrance to Wear to a Salvador Dali Exhibition? (No Les Parfums Salvador Dali)

Kinksi by Kinski.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: What Fragrance to Wear to a Salvador Dali Exhibition? (No Les Parfums Salvador Dali)

I'd wear Black Tourmaline - would seem to fit.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I think Dalí would have appreciated the irony with which two fragrances in particular fly in the face of contemporary notions about what it means to smell good (and yet both are still a pleasure to wear); they are Serge Lutens Muscs Koubaï Khän and Frédéric Malle French Lover. The former is probably the most raw animalic fragrance available and the latter completely eschews any pretense of 'sweetness' that many people associate with 'nice'.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Bon et Copieux; 22nd September 2016 at 07:54 AM.
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Moustache by Rochas

Currently wearing: Eau de Campagne by Sisley

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    Kinksi by Kinski.
    Timely. I just received a sample of this (EdT) from a generous Basenoter. "Dark notes of madness"

Quote Originally Posted by Bon et Copieux View Post
    Frédéric Malle French Lover. completely eschews any pretense of 'sweetness' that many people associate with 'nice'.
    I have a decant of this too. It wasn't in my plans, but it would work well with the temperature tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    Moustache by Rochas

1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.

One of the Amouage Myths? They're inspired by surrealism, apparently.

Or a faecal oud? - Dali was obssessed by all things scatological.
    At worst, one is in motion; and at best,
    Reaching no absolute, in which to rest,
    One is always nearer by not keeping still.
    Thom Gunn 'On the Move'

From your wardrobe, my first pick would be Eau Sauvage Parfum, followed by Gucci Pour Homme. Either of these would be great in that setting.

Perhaps Oscar de la Renta Lui, Van Cleef&Arpels pour Homme or similar
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

Bulgari Black or Rose 31.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Timely. I just received a sample of this (EdT) from a generous Basenoter. "Dark notes of madness"
    I like it. I feel you might too. At any rate, enjoy the exhibition - it's good stuff.

Always be smelling

I know you don't want to hear it but Dali Pour Homme vintage is the only choice. Very surreal and dark.
    Of all the perfumes I have tried (not much) , this is the one I would wear if I was one of those guys beneath the elephants in The Temptation of Saint Antonius
    Last edited by epapsiou; 22nd September 2016 at 12:24 PM.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Escada Homme by Escada

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I know you don't want to hear it but Dali Pour Homme vintage is the only choice. Very surreal and dark.
    Of all the perfumes I have tried (not much) , this is the one I would wear if I was one of those guys beneath the elephants in The Temptation of Saint Antonius
    They are a series of scents I've been meaning to get around to. Maybe they'll have them at the gift shop

Caron Tabac Blond would fit right in with his works.

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I know you don't want to hear it but Dali Pour Homme vintage is the only choice.
    +1 - Dali will be smiling on smelling this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    +1 - Dali will be smiling on smelling this!!!

K, I promise to sample it if I see some there.

I actually decided to go with Kinski. Early impressions are that there's a hell of a lot of castoreum in there, but that seems to ease off after an hour or so. It also reminds me of TdH. It seems to dry down into quite an easy to wear floral. No smell of dope, either smoke or unburned plant matter.

Gala by Loewe
    MDCLX Current Top XX:
    01 - Bel Ami (Vintage)
    02 - Davidof (1984)
    03 - Revillon PH
    04 - Paco Rabanne PH (Vintage)
    05 - Giorgio V.I.P.
    06 - Salvador Dali PH
    07 - Equipage (Vintage)
    08 - Zino Davidoff (Vintage)
    09 - Gucci PH (1976)
    10 - Gucci Nobile
    11 - Ungaro III (Vintage)
    12 - Francesco Smalto PH
    13 - Monsieur Givenchy (Vintage)
    14 - Givenchy Gentleman (Vintage)
    15 - Balenciaga PH
    16 - Lapidus PH
    17 - Kouros (Vintage)
    18 - Gucci PH (2003)
    19 - Kouros Fraicheur
    20 - Shiseido Basala
    Currently wearing: Esencia Loewe by Loewe

Quote Originally Posted by mdclx View Post
    Gala by Loewe
    Lol. Nice way to sidestep my "no Dali fragrances because they're too obvious " request.

It seems the general aesthetic/ethos of the Imaginary Authors house might appeal to Dali.
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Lol. Nice way to sidestep my "no Dali fragrances because they're too obvious " request.

From your wardrobe Jubilation XXV
    MDCLX Current Top XX:
    01 - Bel Ami (Vintage)
    02 - Davidof (1984)
    03 - Revillon PH
    04 - Paco Rabanne PH (Vintage)
    05 - Giorgio V.I.P.
    06 - Salvador Dali PH
    07 - Equipage (Vintage)
    08 - Zino Davidoff (Vintage)
    09 - Gucci PH (1976)
    10 - Gucci Nobile
    11 - Ungaro III (Vintage)
    12 - Francesco Smalto PH
    13 - Monsieur Givenchy (Vintage)
    14 - Givenchy Gentleman (Vintage)
    15 - Balenciaga PH
    16 - Lapidus PH
    17 - Kouros (Vintage)
    18 - Gucci PH (2003)
    19 - Kouros Fraicheur
    20 - Shiseido Basala
    Currently wearing: Esencia Loewe by Loewe

Without a doubt.
    Blamage!

I have never been able to find an occasion to wear it but that would be perfect

Thanks for all the suggestions, and apologies to those who contributed and I didn't give a direct response to. Your contributions are also greatly appreciated.

The exhibition was good. Well curated and gave me a look at a lot of his work other than his most famous pieces.
    Kinski worked well for the mood of Dali, although like most galleries, The dry, airconditIoned atmosphere meant any scent, especially clean, inoffensive fragrances would suit the situation.

Saw this thread (after you had gone to the exhibition) and out of curiousity went looking to see if there was a scent more related to his time living in Cadaques. Apparently, Aqua Brava by Puig is supposed to capture the scent(s) of the Costa Brava region. Now I want to find a sample to smell what Dali smelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Chetopa View Post
    Saw this thread (after you had gone to the exhibition) and out of curiousity went looking to see if there was a scent more related to his time living in Cadaques. Apparently, Aqua Brava by Puig is supposed to capture the scent(s) of the Costa Brava region. Now I want to find a sample to smell what Dali smelled.
    Interesting.

Also, I forgot to mention, there was no sign of any Dali fragrances in the gift shop, although it does look like they are available here in Japan.
    I'm not sure which one, but long before I was into fragrances one of the fem ones was the signature scent of two of my ex-girlfriends.

Must go and see the exhibition as it's walking distance. Btw if you noticed any dark and stealthy helicopters, there's the American army base next door to the museum.

Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    Must go and see the exhibition as it's walking distance. Btw if you noticed any dark and stealthy helicopters, there's the American army base next door to the museum.
    Probably my first time in 2 years that I'd been to Roppongi. No military presence of note today. Actually didn't know they had a facility there (a "press center" or something. Either way it apparently has a helipad).