Code of Conduct
Page 105 of 108 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,150 of 3213
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

Quote Originally Posted by AceyMan View Post
    Tell me about it. I was recruited as an audiophile when I was ten. It makes niche perfumery look like tiddlywinks. But have you ever heard 99.99997% pure OFC speaker cables?

/AC
    Oh Yes.

I also spent hours building my own cotton insulated Interconnect and Rewired speakers with 99.9999 % soft annealed Silver. Don't let me start with the Bespoke Caps, Resistors and banks of Vintage Tubes.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Uno by Grey Matter Parfums

Quote Originally Posted by AceyMan View Post
    Tell me about it. I was recruited as an audiophile when I was ten. It makes niche perfumery look like tiddlywinks. But have you ever heard 99.99997% pure OFC speaker cables?

/AC
    Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    Oh Yes.

I also spent hours building my own cotton insulated Interconnect and Rewired speakers with 99.9999 % soft annealed Silver. Don't let me start with the Bespoke Caps, Resistors and banks of Vintage Tubes.
    Lawd have mercy, you guys really don't need to reignite that fire in me. I've gotten rid of my Harbeth 30.1s, Martin Logans went to father in law, amps, cables etc etc. and have everything scaled down to a nice sounding set of System Audio speakers pushed by some legacy Yamaha equipment (for my main stereo listening). It's a minor set up but enjoyable nonetheless. I do miss the Harbeth's though. Damn it! Note to self: STAY OFF AUDIOGON, STAY OFF AUDIOGON, STAY OFF AUDIOGON.

As a side note, with cables I got to a point that I used Wilson Audio Exclusive cables made in-house by Wilson Audio in New Orleans. The man that started the company years ago got into the design arena and had a deal with a cable company (brand slips my memory). That deal didn't benefit him so he kept the cables exclusively for his shop. They sounded as fine as any Nordost, Tributaries, etc that I'd experienced. Definitely adequate for the best systems I had.

Stay off Audiogon, Diddy!

•Denim Musk EdT. - Have heard nothing but good things about this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

Late 60s cologne, absolutely stunning. Like it better than the 80s extrait.

IMG_2920.jpg
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1985 - Derby de Guerlain
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    I completely agree that 1960's Mitsouko is stunning, although I would say it provides a different perfume experience, not better but just as good as the vintage extrait. (Not giving up my Guerlain extraits, no way.)

I was perfectly happy with my vintage Mitsouko extraits (1984 and 2002) and vintage EDT (2001) until I tried the 60's cologne in Live Jazz' Blind Sample Pass II. I knew it was Mitsouko immediately, but it was a brighter version than what I knew. And I now I have a very large montre flacon of 60's EDC. I really enjoy the freshness of the bergamot in the opening, and since I spray it on from an atomizer, it seems to create a lovely ambient cloud of incensey woods around me. Lasts hours and hours (doesn't linger on the skin on into the next day like the vintage extrait, but it's an EDC after all.)

So now I am looking speculatively at all of my vintage Guerlain extraits, PDT's, EDT's and thinking..."Do I need to try the vintage EDC too?"

It's all Live Jazz' fault, really.
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post

IMG_2920.jpg
    With the "e" sign on the box, I'd say it would have to be late 70s or early 80s. Not that it probably matters in terms of the scent.
    Currently wearing: Byzance by Rochas

Shiseido Vintage

Currently wearing: Byzance by Rochas

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post

So now I am looking speculatively at all of my vintage Guerlain extraits, PDT's, EDT's and thinking..."Do I need to try the vintage EDC too?"
    :
    Yes. IMO vintage EDC were the best versions of Guerlain followed by extraits.
    But since I have not tried all of them, take my opinion with a dollop of salt.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

I completely agree that 1960's Mitsouko is stunning, although I would say it provides a different perfume experience, not better but just as good as the vintage extrait. (Not giving up my Guerlain extraits, no way.)

I was perfectly happy with my vintage Mitsouko extraits (1984 and 2002) and vintage EDT (2001) until I tried the 60's cologne in Live Jazz' Blind Sample Pass II. I knew it was Mitsouko immediately, but it was a brighter version than what I knew. And I now I have a very large montre flacon of 60's EDC. I really enjoy the freshness of the bergamot in the opening, and since I spray it on from an atomizer, it seems to create a lovely ambient cloud of incensey woods around me. Lasts hours and hours (doesn't linger on the skin on into the next day like the vintage extrait, but it's an EDC after all.)

It's all Live Jazz' fault, really.
    Oh, I'm glad it made an impression! I've never smelled Mitsouko in vintage parfum format, but it strikes me as the kind of scent that might benefit from some brightness. I've smelled the modern EDP and it smells dour and heavy to me in comparison to the EDC.

Shalimar is another that's outstanding in vintage EDC. Not sure I'd say it's "brighter" - but it's more airy, dusty, versatile, with the iris powder reading almost like incense.

Vol de Nuit is one I have in parfum form and have never smelled the EDC. Anyone tried that one?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    With the "e" sign on the box, I'd say it would have to be late 70s or early 80s. Not that it probably matters in terms of the scent.
    i see it now, thanks for clarifying.
    i got confused by the copy right 1967 and i have seen another guerlain copy right from 1972 so i thought this to be somewhere in between.

IMG_2921.jpg
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1985 - Derby de Guerlain
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

AF58F73D-B254-4D68-9C92-2A8D04A21261.jpg

Tones down the sandalwood of the original and ups the woods, a great cedar and a touch of vanilla. Same family, same civet slap. Just as great (if not better)

Freed from BN Institution

I really want to sample this. So far I haven't sampled any Mitsouko that's prior to the 2000s.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...d-Fridays-2018

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

violent violet vamp

IMG_7778.jpg

IMG_7779.jpg

Flambeau by Faberge. Found it across the street at the antique mall. Paid a big ol' 3 dollars and 50 cents. It's a Faberge I didn't know existed.
    "Anything is an art if you do it at the level of an art" ~~ Richard Avedon

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post

Flambeau by Faberge. Found it across the street at the antique mall. Paid a big ol' 3 dollars and 50 cents. It's a Faberge I didn't know existed.
    Ooo, nice find! Those old Faberges are such fun. (My favorite was Woodhue.)

Can we start calling you Torchy now?

violent violet vamp

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post

I also enjoyed Woodhue back in the day. Torch, would be sufficient.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Cevenol View Post
    AF58F73D-B254-4D68-9C92-2A8D04A21261.jpg

Tones down the sandalwood of the original and ups the woods, a great cedar and a touch of vanilla. Same family, same civet slap. Just as great (if not better)
    Can you tell a bit more about this one? Is it a Monsieur Lanvin Flanker? Does it come in EDT?

Basenotes Plus

Basenotes Plus

^^^ Whooooah... JonRodgers must be going after big game!

Basenotes Plus

A 100 ml backup of Coppertop 2001Eau d'Hermes backup. and a 200ml bottle of a black black possibly 1989 Eau d'Hermes of the same. Pig in a Poke purchase..

Always be smelling

A 100 ml backup of Coppertop 2001Eau d'Hermes backup. and a 200ml bottle of a black black possibly 1989 Eau d'Hermes of the same. Pig in a Poke purchase..
    Someone is going to be stinky

Basenotes Plus

Oooo sweet. Johnny_Ludlow recently sent me a sample of his black cap version (1970s, I believe) and it is DIVINE. Yours should be similar, I would think. Please report back on how yours turns out!

I was surprised by how different the black cap is from the coppertop -- although truthfully, I think only a real aficionado of the scent would notice it. You definitely will.

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Can you tell a bit more about this one? Is it a Monsieur Lanvin Flanker? Does it come in EDT?
    It does indeed feel like a flanker to the original Eps, much more so than the Monsieur Lanvin Vetyver which feels more like its own creation and less like a flanker. The three share the same MASSIVE civet, especially Vetyver which is stupid urinous at first but is my favorite of the three (so far).
    Like I said this one has an awesome cedar/woody heart and a touch of sweetness which I thought might be vanilla at first but now I wonder if it's not a facet of amber. Of course the cedar is nothing like a lot of today's "synthdar" bomb, this is 60's subtle smoothness and understatement so it might feel too derivative if you own the original.
    Interestingly, I find the Monsieur Lanvin DNA to be present in the latter Lanvin for Men as well, there the civet is toned way down and galbanum and flowers shine.

violent violet vamp

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Yummy!

^^^ Whooooah... JonRodgers must be going after big game!
    Beautiful bottle! I absolutely adore Shocking...

So will the bottle of perfume be used as bait or are you going to wear this yourself, Jon, as a form of scent lure?

Basenotes Plus

Beautiful bottle! I absolutely adore Shocking...

So will the bottle of perfume be used as bait or are you going to wear this yourself, Jon, as a form of scent lure?
    Rest assured, I will definitely be wearing it though I am more likely to be attracting bees than big game because the honey is completely addictive . The Mrs also swooned on first sniff so I suspect she will be having the occasional dab too.

I also enjoyed Woodhue back in the day. Torch, would be sufficient.
    Let us know what you think of Flambeau when you try it, HouseOfPhlegethon. I love all of the 1950's warmed up chypres/florientals. I always think of them as mom and dad's 1950's date night, steak and martini, perfumes. Woodhue's dry chypre mossiness was marketed to college girls and bohemians.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Rest assured, I will definitely be wearing it though I am more likely to be attracting bees than big game because the honey is completely addictive . The Mrs also swooned on first sniff so I suspect she will be having the occasional dab too.
    It's great that you both enjoy it!

Basenotes Plus

Woodhue's dry chypre mossiness was marketed to college girls and bohemians.
    That was me, with my flat-ironed long hair and pretentious French beret.

Basenotes Plus

Oooo sweet. Johnny_Ludlow recently sent me a sample of his black cap version (1970s, I believe) and it is DIVINE. Yours should be similar, I would think. Please report back on how yours turns out!

I was surprised by how different the black cap is from the coppertop -- although truthfully, I think only a real aficionado of the scent would notice it. You definitely will.
    The "possibly" 1989 Vintage Eau d'Hermes will arrive some time this week. I sampled a Current from tester today for some comparison.

Compared to the Coppertop it's brighter Citrus, sublimated Cumin and Hermes is using a strong Contemporary Synth Animalic Civety-Castoreum Musk, that is so similar to the one used in Current production of Chanel's Antaeus. Nice.
    It sticks out, as an opening ripeness to catch all us Animalic hounds, however is short-lived and 2 dimension-ed overall.

The Coppertop in spite of the Cumin filth, is better blended, to have the Synth Civet sneak up behind and bind the Spice, Citrus. It is long-lived skin scent.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cevenol View Post
    It does indeed feel like a flanker to the original Eps, much more so than the Monsieur Lanvin Vetyver which feels more like its own creation and less like a flanker. The three share the same MASSIVE civet, especially Vetyver which is stupid urinous at first but is my favorite of the three (so far).
    Like I said this one has an awesome cedar/woody heart and a touch of sweetness which I thought might be vanilla at first but now I wonder if it's not a facet of amber. Of course the cedar is nothing like a lot of today's "synthdar" bomb, this is 60's subtle smoothness and understatement so it might feel too derivative if you own the original.
    Interestingly, I find the Monsieur Lanvin DNA to be present in the latter Lanvin for Men as well, there the civet is toned way down and galbanum and flowers shine.
    I will be on the lookout for the Vetyver surely and Lanvin for Men will be up for the testing.

Monsieur Lanvin is somewhat of a benchmark, for superior Civet use, in my Wardrobe Masculines. Lot's of it in this gem, however blending to highlight the Peppery Carnation, has it supporting, rather than overshadowing the Florals

Page 105 of 108 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 ... LastLast