Code of Conduct
Page 136 of 159 FirstFirst ... 36 86 126 134 135 136 137 138 146 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,080 of 4746
    Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    That is a beautiful looking bottle.

Was there any leakage when you got the bottle? I'm always concerned with these style bottles.
    None. Well, there was no staining on the packaging to indicate any leakage.

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain Vetiver - a nice 75ml 2001 batched bottle! Will be my 2nd ribbed bottle ever, other one is a 2003.

**Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Two quarter-ounce parfum sprays (refillable) of No. 19. Won't someone please take pity on me and stop me?

I'm guessing 1980s (no symbols, short ingredient list), but will wait for Sensei RoRo to help make the final determination.

ChanelNo19_parfum_RefillableSprays.20May2019.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Two quarter-ounce parfum sprays (refillable) of No. 19. Won't someone please take pity on me and stop me
    Not me! Along with vintage Miss Dior, vintage No. 19 is the only other perfume that I know I must have with me till the end.
    Currently wearing: Joy by Jean Patou

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Not me! Along with vintage Miss Dior, vintage No. 19 is the only other perfume that I know I must have with me till the end.
    Sing it, sister. I wouldn't mind being buried with a big ol' bottle of it in my cold, dead hands.

I feel profligate spraying extrait, though. The whole ritual of parfum just seems to demand application by fingertip.

Basenotes Plus

Two quarter-ounce parfum sprays (refillable) of No. 19. Won't someone please take pity on me and stop me?

I'm guessing 1980s (no symbols, short ingredient list), but will wait for Sensei RoRo to help make the final determination.

Give me your credit card and I’ll show you what to do...
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Don't look at me. For pity, I mean.

I'd say you've got a couple of '80s vintage sprays there. No barcode on the boxes?
    These plastic sprays first became available in the early 1980s. The batch codes were typically printed on the cellophane or stamped into it as seen below.
    And I'm pretty sure Chanel never put the "e" sign on their fragrances back then. Do they even do it now?

The earliest No.19 sprays were black with a silver band, and may have been pressurized. I've never had one, so I don't know about the pressurized part. It's also been a while since I studied pics of one of those. The black and silver No.19 sprays don't pop up very often, and I get the sense they weren't produced for very long before the design was changed.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    I'd say you've got a couple of '80s vintage sprays there. No barcode on the boxes?
    These plastic sprays first became available in the early 1980s. The batch codes were typically printed on the cellophane or stamped into it as seen below.
    No barcodes. Mine didn't have their cello so can't speak to that. Ingredients just says "alcohol, fragrance".

And I'm pretty sure Chanel never put the "e" sign on their fragrances back then. Do they even do it now?
    My only modern bottle of Chanel is a 2015 Sycomore EdT, and it has an "e". I think. I should doublecheck.

The earliest No.19 sprays were black with a silver band, and may have been pressurized. I've never had one, so I don't know about the pressurized part.
    The Chanel pamphlet enclosed with them says "This Chanel spray works without propellant. The first time, press the button several times to activate the pump" -- so they must have still been getting buyers accustomed to the lack of pressurization. So more indications of early/mid '80s.

The black and silver No.19 sprays don't pop up very often, and I get the sense they weren't produced for very long before the design was changed.
    Don't think I've ever seen a black & silver, but now I'll be more alert for them.

Thanks, Sensei!

Always be smelling

Pity? Not till you have enough to make a throne with. Then maybe Epapsiou,the first of his name, the enemy of galbanum, will take pity on you
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

No barcodes. Mine didn't have their cello so can't speak to that. Ingredients just says "alcohol, fragrance".

My only modern bottle of Chanel is a 2015 Sycomore EdT, and it has an "e". I think. I should doublecheck.

The Chanel pamphlet enclosed with them says "This Chanel spray works without propellant. The first time, press the button several times to activate the pump" -- so they must have still been getting buyers accustomed to the lack of pressurization. So more indications of early/mid '80s.

Don't think I've ever seen a black & silver, but now I'll be more alert for them.

Thanks, Sensei!
    Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Pity? Not till you have enough to make a throne with. Then maybe Epapsiou,the first of his name, the enemy of galbanum, will take pity on you
    Queen Cook.Bot. First of her name. Queen of the Indoles and First Bottles. Ruler of the Seven Boutiques and Protector of the Sillage. Sprayer of Toilettes, Mother of Cats, and Rightful Heir to the Chanel Throne
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

I know that list. Why did they bother?

I'd be interested to hear. I think it's safe to say you won't find an "e" on any Chanel fragrance produced any time up through the late '90s. Not sure how they got away with that.

That makes sense. I know that No.19 EDT came in a pressurized spray in the early years. Here's one that sold recently on eBay. I don't remember seeing one that wasn't 89ml. They all may have been that size.

I'll be looking, too. I don't remember if they were 7.5ml or 6ml. Seems like it was 7.5 . . . .

Basenotes Plus

Are some people having trouble clawing their way out of a Game of Thrones fog?

The cultural zeitgeist is a funny thing. I've never seen an episode or read a book of it, and yet I recognize these idioms.

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Then maybe Epapsiou,the first of his name, the enemy of galbanum, will take pity on you
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    First of her name. Queen of the Indoles and First Bottles. Ruler of the Seven Boutiques and Protector of the Sillage. Sprayer of Toilettes, Mother of Cats, and Rightful Heir to the Chanel Throne

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

It was an appropriate joke considering Paps mentioned a throne.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    I'd be interested to hear. I think it's safe to say you won't find an "e" on any Chanel fragrance produced any time up through the late '90s. Not sure how they got away with that.
    I just had the sergeant-at-arms unlock the Orb and Sceptre room and check the bottle. There is no "e" code on my 2015 Sycomore box. There is, however, one of those double-arrow recycle symbols. And barcode, of course.

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

I just had the sergeant-at-arms unlock the Orb and Sceptre room and check the bottle. There is no "e" code on my 2015 Sycomore box. There is, however, one of those double-arrow recycle symbols. And barcode, of course.
    I lol'd. (wait, is that another GoT reference?)

Chanel quickly got on board with the EMB code, but never bothered with the "e". Odd.

Basenotes Plus

RoRo, empty your mailbox!

Freed from BN Institution

I like to think that we're all enacting on our prime extinct as collectors in hoarding our favorite 'dumb reach' picks.

Of those few choices, we should take an unapologetic approach to our desires to want more of it.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

The cultural zeitgeist is a funny thing. I've never seen an episode or read a book of it, and yet I recognize these idioms.
    I'm still recovering from the disappointing end to the series yesterday...
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

RoRo, empty your mailbox!
    Done.

I saw this earlier, something that I WISH I could purchase:

wearing dad's aftershave™

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo
    I have a theory on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot
    [THEORY] It should be an easily verifiable (one way or the other): CHANEL avoids the 'e-mark' (estimation) because they are big enough to have regional packaging. The newer boxes that are sans 'e' are for USofA distribution (or other markets where the e-mark is not required).

If someone has a recent box of EU/Asian market on hand they can check if it's there or not. If *it isn't*, then I'm officially puzzled. Maybe it's some grandfather clause they lucked into or something <shrug> ?

/Acey

Basenotes Plus

A neat trio of tiny bottle splash format of..

Eau de Cologne Imperiale Extra Dry
    Habit Rouge EdC
    Guerlain Vetiver EdC

dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    A neat trio of tiny bottle splash format of..

Eau de Cologne Imperiale Extra Dry
    Habit Rouge EdC
    Guerlain Vetiver EdC

Very nice! That Vetiver EDC is a vetiver lover’s dream! SO damn good!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Thanks! Yeah, I find my spray version EdC quite animalic compared to my latter EdT's - which is a nice 'surprise' . Any idea roughly how old these are?
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Thanks! Yeah, I find my spray version EdC quite animalic compared to my latter EdT's - which is a nice 'surprise' . Any idea roughly how old these are?
    I didn't even know it ever came in an EDC. I'd love to give that a try sometime, and I'm curious about the age of it too.

Basenotes Plus

I didn't even know it ever came in an EDC. I'd love to give that a try sometime, and I'm curious about the age of it too.
    Yeah, the smell is quite noticeably different with the EdC compared to my EdT(s). And actually.. it may last longer? Haha.

I'm assuming it's no later than 90's, since they were using the taller bottles similar to current ones in the 90's, then switched to the ribbed in 2000 or so. So perhaps 80's or early 90's at absolute latest?
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Just bought another Guerlain Vetiver. Okay, maybe I'm done for now unless I find a great deal or a BNIB for a reasonable price or something. I've gone from 0 ribbed versions to buying 3 in less than a week, baha. A 4.2oz 2003, 2.5oz 2001, and this 2.5oz 2005.

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Yeah, the smell is quite noticeably different with the EdC compared to my EdT(s). And actually.. it may last longer? Haha.

I'm assuming it's no later than 90's, since they were using the taller bottles similar to current ones in the 90's, then switched to the ribbed in 2000 or so. So perhaps 80's or early 90's at absolute latest?
    Thanks, Peeps. I've only ever owned the current version Guerlain Vetiver -- in fact I just opened my second 200ml bottle. Any pointers for me if I want to explore a vintage ribbed bottle EDT or a vintage EDC? Clues to look for?

Basenotes Plus

Thanks, Peeps. I've only ever owned the current version Guerlain Vetiver -- in fact I just opened my second 200ml bottle. Any pointers for me if I want to explore a vintage ribbed bottle EDT or a vintage EDC? Clues to look for?
    Hmm, well first off I don't think you're likely to get a fake - not sure I've ever seen a fake Guerlain Vetiver before, but who knows!

As far as the ribbed version, try to get one that's maybe 2007 or earlier - look at the box for the big double 'G' logo instead of the smaller logo. The big double G logo is older and goes from 2000 to 2007 or so.

I read from someone about the '08-'14 being, well, not as good so I'm trying to avoid that time-frame. But then again, it could be wrong info and it's all fine.

As far as the EdC, I can't really speak to it as much. I don't have all the timelines and such down, but my 90's bottle is good stuff (taller thinner bottle type, gold cap maybe, with logo on top of atomizer head).

I'm also curious - what kind of longevity do you get with your 200ml? It's a ~2015-2019?

Edit: Huh, interesting. Another thing to note is that somewhere in recent years they've seemingly changed the concentration around...
    2003 -> Alcohol - Fragrance/Parfum - Water
    2015 -> Alcohol - Water - Fragrance/Parfum

..they weakened it?

And looking at this ~2007-2010 one on eBay, it's still Alcohol - Fragrance/Parfum - Water. So they swapped the amount of parfum and/or water sometime within the past ~decade. Interesting... and potentially disappointing, haha.

Edit again: Also, here's my EdC bottle.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

I’m not up to speed on the dates of the EDC. I defer to Epapsiou on that subject. I get outstanding longevity from it. I find the EDC to be less sparkly/fizzy (?) and more earthy (I hate that word as I’ve noticed from playing with pure oils that I can get that ‘earthy’ note or ‘soapy’ note simply from the amount of dilution. Whole other side topic, sorry.) than the EDT. I love it as it’s a cleaner, or more neat if you will, presentation of vetiver.

Gonna name drop again... contact our beloved Papsi. Guerlain Vetiver EDC is truly like crack cocaine for vetiver lovers. Please don’t tell anyone I said this though, as I want to get more more more. Actually, I’m quite surprised that someone like you, with such a well curated collection, doesn’t have this!

Page 136 of 159 FirstFirst ... 36 86 126 134 135 136 137 138 146 ... LastLast