Code of Conduct
Page 149 of 154 FirstFirst ... 49 99 139 147 148 149 150 151 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,470 of 4592
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    My outlier is Avon (of course) but it happened by accident. Diddy knows the story. $1 a bottle for deep vintages. Filled 3 backpacks.
    lol, as one does. It's easy to get carried away in this hobby. I only have myself to blame... I keep hunting for gems, ugh.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    lol, as one does. It's easy to get carried away in this hobby. I only have myself to blame... I keep hunting for gems, ugh.
    I do love me some Kouros though.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

Default Vintage Fragrances I bought today

Of just Kouros? Hmmm not sure, maybe somewhere around ~600 - 800ml.

Yeah, collection was over ~3x as big in the past - but I've learned and changed my ways a good bit. Trying to keep it more to loves, kind of ignoring 'compliment getters' and dumb reaches that don't really give me satisfaction. Ideally it'd just be stuff I truly love - that 8/10 is a good idea!

Pray tell of the untold goodies you have!
    I understand totally about the dumb reaches and all that. And 8/10 and above is my love term goal really. If my budget were actually higher and I had a cellar, I’d likely curate a pretty Hednic-like (respectfully) collection. A museum essentially.

Every now and then I’ll slip thoughts on goodies across PM, and, even more rarely, in open on threads viewable to the public. A lot of what I have are the usual suspects for vintage lovers. Stuff that I got at really good prices or through the graciousness of others. But, there are a few goodies buried within the mix that people may not expect. My 8/10’s aren’t always tethered to high prices. But my unicorns are frustratingly accurately called unicorns, as in good luck finding them or anything about them... which is why I don’t mention them aloud for fear the one bottle left find it to unappreciative curious hands! Lol. So instead I say things easier to find, but that are still outstanding, like Bel Ami.

My outlier is Avon (of course) but it happened by accident. Diddy knows the story. $1 a bottle for deep vintages. Filled 3 backpacks.

Mad Max Fury Eau
    Let me tell you all right now, in case ya don’t know - if you want to find an Avon right for you, ZC is your hookup. There’s a lot in the Avon collection that’s ok but won’t blow the doors off the competition. Then you’ll come across something unexpected and ahead of its time like BOOM where did that come from! And it’ll cost you the price of a McDonald’s hot apple pie.
    Last edited by Diddy; 11th June 2019 at 11:41 AM.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Avon is just around the corner! I like apple pie, love apple strudel, and my favorite is apple crumble.

Avon is perfect for my needs, since I save the big bucks for my Guerlain fix. I’m not “done” yet.
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

It's easy to get carried away in this hobby. I only have myself to blame... I keep hunting for gems, ugh.
    Tru dat.
    carven - Edited.jpg

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    Avon is just around the corner! I like apple pie, love apple strudel, and my favorite is apple crumble.

Avon is perfect for my needs, since I save the big bucks for my Guerlain fix. I’m not “done” yet.
    I'm gonna run riot on Guerlain one day and scoop up bottles of VdN, l'hB, AL'O, and the classic EdCs like Imperiale, but not yet.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I understand totally about the dumb reaches and all that. And 8/10 and above is my love term goal really. If my budget were actually higher and I had a cellar, I’d likely curate a pretty Hednic-like (respectfully) collection. A museum essentially.

Every now and then I’ll slip thoughts on goodies across PM, and, even more rarely, in open on threads viewable to the public. A lot of what I have are the usual suspects for vintage lovers. Stuff that I got at really good prices or through the graciousness of others. But, there are a few goodies buried within the mix that people may not expect. My 8/10’s aren’t always tethered to high prices. But my unicorns are frustratingly accurately called unicorns, as in good luck finding them or anything about them... which is why I don’t mention them aloud for fear the one bottle left find it to unappreciative curious hands! Lol. So instead I say things easier to find, but that are still outstanding, like Bel Ami.

Let me tell you all right now, in case ya don’t know - if you want to find an Avon right for you, ZC is your hookup. There’s a lot in the Avon collection that’s ok but won’t blow the doors off the competition. Then you’ll come across something unexpected and ahead of its time like BOOM where did that come from! And it’ll cost you the price of a McDonald’s hot apple pie.
    Haha, feel free to slip me one of those PMs every now and then!

Now, to find some more 8+/10 dumb grabs...

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post

Grats!
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

*rubs tear-soaked eyes*
    I'm gonna run riot on Guerlain one day and scoop up bottles of VdN, l'hB, AL'O, and the classic EdCs like Imperiale, but not yet.
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

[Whoops, meant to post in vintage SOTD! Original post moved!]

I did buy a mini of Roger & Gallet Santal. Nice soapy/floral with a light sandalwood touch.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Eau de Patou last night. I don't know what it is about that specific composition that makes my eyes roll back into my head every time...so wonderful. Makes me feel lighter.
    Oh god me too. It's that dirty/clean thing that only the French can do to perfection.

Which bottle style did you wind up buying, LJ?

Had food poisoning over the weekend and this is the first day I've felt safe exposing myself to a heavier scent without being at risk of further vomiting.
    Ouch. No fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Oh god me too. It's that dirty/clean thing that only the French can do to perfection.

Which bottle style did you wind up buying, LJ?
    I already had the bottle and misposted in to the bought today thread! But it's the frosted cone/cylinder bottle. Cool looking thing.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I already had the bottle and misposted in to the bought today thread! But it's the frosted cone/cylinder bottle. Cool looking thing.
    You're probably just still a little delirious.

Basenotes Plus

Grey Flannel - Epocha era. I think this is the first type that came out - or close to it. ~1976-1980?

Sticker isn't on bottle, but I'm kinda hoping it's inside of the bag. I'll check after it arrives, .

Haha wow, it arrived today and I actually did go and look inside the bag...

BOOM!

It actually was in the bag!! Woo
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Haha wow, it arrived today and I actually did go and look inside the bag...

BOOM!

It actually was in the bag!! Woo
    Awesome! Congrats on that. I’ll be curious to read your thoughts on how it smells versus other distributions.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Awesome! Congrats on that. I’ll be curious to read your thoughts on how it smells versus other distributions.
    I smelled it from the bottle, but haven't applied it yet. Smelled good to me! I might do a kind of solo wearing first, and then another time mix it up with adding my Sanofi type.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Guerlain box of soap trio is being returned tomorrow. Not what I ordered. Black & white (not gold) zigzag box cover spells Mitsouko, but once opened, inside the box lay 3 Chamade cakes. In the meantime, here is your only glimpse of inside The Mummy’s Tomb: my ceiling light fixture in Tiffany-style repro. I hope you can see the ornate filial in the center. I wasn’t kidding when I said I loved the color pink, especially when paired with black. So very Guerlain, in my opinion.6BB85D07-0696-4577-82E6-821FC283785A.jpg

Mary Pickford & my Mitsouko, though I do believe the lass wore Jean Patou Joy, later in her life. (It says on The Perfumed Court site that Millot Crepe de Chine was Pickford’s fragrance, though I think this must have been early on, at the height of her silent film career, before the drastic shift in public taste from America’s Sweetheart to the liberated flapper and mysterious seductress, dominated movie screens.) On a slightly different note, I was at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre, where I placed my hands on the cement block imprint of the hands of one Lillian Gish and was taken aback at her size. Such childlike hands she had! It wasn’t until these women reached their mid-thirties that they were no longer able to pull off playing children’s roles, case in point: an aging Depression Era Pickford doing Disney promotions.48E8ECC0-9AF2-436F-896C-E7B4B334D783.jpg
    Last edited by Shemelimelle; 23rd June 2019 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Mary Pickford.

Basenotes Plus

I smelled it from the bottle, but haven't applied it yet. Smelled good to me! I might do a kind of solo wearing first, and then another time mix it up with adding my Sanofi type.
    That reads like a good plan to me.

Basenotes Plus

Inspired by a local swamp monster....

Prince de Galles Sport

Preliminary impressions only: Crispy! Super buoyant, almost fizzy. This is one fine vetiver, maybe just a smidge sweeter than I usually like my vetivers, but that is balanced with some crunchy nutmeg. No soap in sight.

I see Cuney has been been wearing this one too. I'll take it for a full shakedown cruise this weekend.

Between this and the half-case of Florida Water, I've been on a bit of a cheapie binge. But at least I'll be able to douse myself lavishly in the summer heat without a twinge of conscience.

Always be smelling

Inspired by a local swamp monster....

Prince de Galles Sport

Preliminary impressions only: Crispy! This is one fine vetiver, maybe just a smidge sweeter than I usually like my vetivers, but that is balanced with some crunchy clove. No soap in sight.

I see Cuney has been been wearing this one too. I'll take it for a full shakedown cruise this weekend.

Never heard of it. Do posts your thoughts post cruise.

As for me, a friend mentioned that she used to wear this but could not find it anywhere. She thinks it has been discontinued. Not sure. Anywhoo, I was able to snag a couple and I must say they are really nice but smell like reformulated versions.
    Any info on these Houbigants.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Houbigant!!!!!!!!! I’m getting some Q. Violettes soon, preferably a mini or a decant. And I located a Mitsouko soap online. I have to have the soap. (For L’HB & Mitsouko scents, I’ve used the discontinued body lotions; for Shalimar, the soap, lotion, cream, and powder - no bath oils, salts, or shower gels, etc.)

Isn’t that 15ml rosebud bottle a beaut? I’ve never had one, and always wanted a rosebud. What a rare and special find. *sobs out of happiness*

Edited to add (again): I returned from the post office. I will refer the undersides to the Raiders of the Lost Scent site for verification. The batch codes are as follow (1st letter= year, 2nd letter=month, after certitude of box design date approximation), with my deciphering:

Black/gold zigzag box code goes V=1998, R=October. If I’m correct, it’s a Happy Halloween to ME!

Important to note that the black / white zigzag has no square on back of box; it’s a plain back which means an earlier date. It goes D=1979, E=February. A Happy Valentine’s Day to ME! Hahahahahahahahahaha........ Weeeeeee.......this is fun!

I should inspect the batch codes for L’Heure Bleue & Vol de Nuit.F6A5AC2E-5592-40E4-8EF2-E17464CB47FD.jpg2DEF3BE4-ED54-45D2-B44F-7B10DB9E6346.jpg01333872-09F7-40AC-A970-0DEC10D57FDE.jpg
    Last edited by Shemelimelle; 13th June 2019 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Mitzy batch codes are in!!!!!!!!!!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Any info on these Houbigants.
    I know squat about Houbigant, but I'll bet Grayspoole has the goods. She doesn't check in here much, you might want to PM her.

Pretty bottles, though.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Very nice Jon..............
    Those bottles (and boxes) look pristine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Attachment 103896
    I fear HC will be next!
    Darn, this is good straight up from first spray.o n my wrists now, Broke one of my own rules by wearing two things at once. Incidentally the other is Giorgio Beverly for Men on my chest Rooaaarrr!

Seriously though, it's only a matter of time before HC and also a new new one so I have the full collection to ogle over.

The 'this is the best barbershop ' train for Worth has probably past before I even started reading and then going BN, but deserves a shout. Soapy, spicy, shaving creamy with a dash of muskiness and leather. It's the sh*t.
    Last edited by Ifti; 13th June 2019 at 05:40 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    Very nice Jon..............
    Those bottles (and boxes) look pristine.
    Many thanks, Alan

Yes, both cellophane sealed and in mint condition

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    very nice.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1985 - Derby de Guerlain
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    very nice.
    Merci Monsieur

Basenotes Plus

That Iquitos is intriguing, JR. I must get around to trying that one day, it seems to contain every note I love, as long as the rose isn't too overbearing. Papsi's review said it made him feel self-conscious at work, and I'll bet that's no small feat!

Nice score!

Basenotes Plus

That Iquitos is intriguing, JR. I must get around to trying that one day, it seems to contain every note I love, as long as the rose isn't too overbearing. Papsi's review said it made him feel self-conscious at work, and I'll bet that's no small feat!

Nice score!
    Many thanks

The opening is certainly potent but the rose isn't overly sweet and is nicely balanced in the base by the civet and leather. I think it would work very well for you

Page 149 of 154 FirstFirst ... 49 99 139 147 148 149 150 151 ... LastLast