Code of Conduct
Page 156 of 158 FirstFirst ... 56 106 146 154 155 156 157 158 LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,680 of 4735
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    I'm curious about the Art Deco-looking font used on the box for "Eau de Toilette." Has anyone been able to date when this font was replaced with the one used now?
    That is different, isn't it? Also, the spacing is wonky between the "i' and the "L" in "toilette" on the bottle label.

RoRo, are you there?
    Paging "CSI: Chanel Edition"!

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Nope. Assuming the bottle here on this thread is a Rochas? My bottle of Versailles PH isn't like this.
    It is Versailles pH I was thinking of
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/392201402726

Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

You're right - I haven't used my bottle in over 2 years and it's in storage. I remembered it as having gold stripes, but it isn't.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Deleanu View Post
    Just scored this one !

What do you think about it ?

Attachment 105498
    Love the bottle!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    That is different, isn't it? Also, the spacing is wonky between the "i' and the "L" in "toilette" on the bottle label.

Paging "CSI: Chanel Edition"!
    I think the wonkiness may just be my bad photography. I found an identical bottle for sale in Belgium, as well as some older Eau de Colognes with the same font.

Here's that Belgian bottle...

vintage-eau-de-toilette-perfum-chanel-no5-with-old-formula-in-sealed-bottle-60ml.jpeg
    vintage-eau-de-toilette-perfum-chanel-no5-with-old-formula-in-sealed-bottle-60ml.jpg
    Currently wearing: Joy by Jean Patou

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Love the bottle!
    How about the juice ?

Sadly didn't have box, I love the characters, Monsieur and Madame !
    One person's craziness is other person's reality !

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Yikes. Think I got it sorted now...

I'm curious about the Art Deco-looking font used on the box for "Eau de Toilette." Has anyone been able to date when this font was replaced with the one used now? RoRo, are you there?
    Looks wonderful.
    1970 is about as far back as I go. The bottle in the pics looks to be significantly older than that.

That second pic you uploaded is interesting. The faces of the bottle appear to be flat, and the edges chamfered.
    Compare that with my oldest bottle of EDC, which I think dates to the early '70s (or late '60s at the earliest):

Another thing I noticed is the reference number: 1303.
    Four digits. That could be helpful. The number on my EDC is 1.483.51. I believe this was the format (x.xxx.xx) during the '70s and into the early '80s, at least for the French-made Chanels. Problem is, I don't know when that format was first adopted.

I'm curious about one more thing. Does your bottle "neck down" at the opening? In the pic, it looks like it doesn't, or not very much. Maybe it's just an optical illusion. Here's my EDC from a different angle. See how much narrower it is at the top?

Basenotes Plus

Well, I might never own a 1960s-era bottle of Chanel, but at least now I know the difference between a chamfer and a bevel.

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Well, I might never own a 1960s-era bottle of Chanel, but at least now I know the difference between a chamfer and a bevel.
    I had to check, because I *thought* that's what it was called, but wanted to be sure.

Some engineering type could still step in and say that, technically, it's something else. But until then. . .
    Last edited by RoRo; 12th July 2019 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    Looks wonderful. 1970 is about as far back as I go. The bottle in the pics looks to be significantly older than that.

That second pic you uploaded is interesting. The faces of the bottle appear to be flat, and the edges chamfered.
    Compare that with my oldest bottle of EDC, which I think dates to the early '70s (or late '60s at the earliest):

I'm curious about one more thing. Does your bottle "neck down" at the opening? In the pic, it looks like it doesn't, or not very much. Maybe it's just an optical illusion. Here's my EDC from a different angle. See how much narrower it is at the top?
    Hi RoRo-

Thanks for weighing in. I believe my EDT may be from the 1960's, possibly earlier. I did some searching of digital magazines but the ads never seem to show the doggone boxes, so I have not been able to pinpoint the date of the font change.

I didn't understand your bottle questions at first, but I hauled out some other vintage Chanel splashes and then it made sense. I have a No.19 EDT that is from the 1970's or 1980's that looks different. My No.5 bottle has sharper corners than your EDC but it steps down (up?) to a narrower opening like your bottle. Hey, look, I made a collage...

D0B149CC-8395-4CB3-8961-FD7DC71998DA.jpg

Also, I immediately noticed that the incised top of the No.5 was really nice. I don't know if I would dwell too much on these subtle differences--all of the No.5 I have, which ranges from 1950's extrait to an EDC that might be 1970's/80's, smells equally fabulous to me.

I envy you... dude where do you find those... suggest me some good options

Quote Originally Posted by D.Chris View Post
    I envy you... dude where do you find those... suggest me some good options
    Hi D. Chris--

I recommend searching Ebay with severe insomnia. I either fall asleep or buy a vintage perfume...

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Hi RoRo-

Thanks for weighing in. I believe my EDT may be from the 1960's, possibly earlier. I did some searching of digital magazines but the ads never seem to show the doggone boxes, so I have not been able to pinpoint the date of the font change.
    The font is not something I've really studied. I have noticed that the font on the early '70s stuff is slightly thinner than that which appears on packaging toward the end of the decade, but I typically focus on other details and am in the habit of ignoring the font. It's true, your example appears to be a different typeface altogether.

I didn't understand your bottle questions at first, but I hauled out some other vintage Chanel splashes and then it made sense. I have a No.19 EDT that is from the 1970's or 1980's that looks different. My No.5 bottle has sharper corners than your EDC but it steps down (up?) to a narrower opening like your bottle. Hey, look, I made a collage...
    Sorry, I should have reposted the second photo in your initial post. My comment about the chamfer might have made more sense. Nice job on the collage, by the way.

But there's a problem, as I see it, which is that the No.19 looks to be a US-made example. Those bottles are not the same as the ones made in France. They're similar, obviously, but I think it introduces another level of complexity if we include those in the comparison. Granted, it's probably a discussion worth having, since the US-made Chanels are too common to be considered an anomaly.

Also, I immediately noticed that the incised top of the No.5 was really nice. I don't know if I would dwell too much on these subtle differences--all of the No.5 I have, which ranges from 1950's extrait to an EDC that might be 1970's/80's, smells equally fabulous to me.
    The caps are one area where the difference in quality is noticeable, IMO. At least with post-1970 examples, the caps on the US-made Chanels (EDT/EDC) feel less substantial, and they seem to be made of a different material. I do think the packaging for all Chanel EDTs and EDCs (splash) had been largely homogenized by the mid-'80s. Maybe this occurred when the 50ml and 100ml bottles were introduced.

The fragrances themselves may be indistinguishable. That said, I much prefer the splash bottles used for the French-made Chanels during the period in question (roughly 1970 to 1985). And I know it's not rational, but to me, a Chanel should be made in France. That's not to say that the only real Chanel is one made in France, or that there is anything inferior about the US-made products (well, maybe the packaging, in some cases).

But golly, I'm spent. I hope I haven't come off as a snob.

The fragrances themselves may be indistinguishable. That said, I much prefer the splash bottles used for the French-made Chanels during the period in question (roughly 1970 to 1985). And I know it's not rational, but to me, a Chanel should be made in France. That's not to say that the only real Chanel is one made in France, or that there is anything inferior about the US-made products (well, maybe the packaging, in some cases).
    Glad you liked the collage. You are right that the No. 19 is a US bottle. It has "Chanel" molded in the base and has the New York 10019 address. I look to bottles for clues, but for me, it's ultimately all about the juice. Vintage No.19 my #2 favorite, just behind Miss Dior, so I have (ahem!) a few vintage bottles...extrait and EDT...and have finished a few more. I haven't noticed any difference between the French and US vintage No. 19.

I'm determined to figure out the font change...stay tuned!

4C0F62AC-5968-456A-9DED-E67E4355DE9B.jpg
    Just got this cologne from the mail and put it on. Thanks for the suggesting the cologne, grayspoole. It is lovely and a great addition to the perfume. It is a little beat up, and I took a chance (just $15 after some questions and negotiation) on that mysterious thingy going down the inside of the bottle - turns out the plug just sort of disintegrated and made its way down the inside, thankfully with out becoming part of the mix. Strangely, I saw a couple other bottles on Ebay with this mysterious line going on. The juice is perfect, light green, and fresh, and wears beautifully. Probably will remove the juice to overhaul the bottle and then replace the juice. Suggestions on good way to remove the white stuff?
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: Paris by Coty

Hi D. Chris--

I recommend searching Ebay with severe insomnia. I either fall asleep or buy a vintage perfume...
    Pretty much nightly - just one more page....zzz....
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: Paris by Coty

Basenotes Plus

Just bought both the EDP and parfum versions of Inoui by Shiseido. Ack!! My perfume budget (as if I have one!) is shot.

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Glad you liked the collage. You are right that the No. 19 is a US bottle. It has "Chanel" molded in the base and has the New York 10019 address. I look to bottles for clues, but for me, it's ultimately all about the juice. Vintage No.19 my #2 favorite, just behind Miss Dior, so I have (ahem!) a few vintage bottles...extrait and EDT...and have finished a few more. I haven't noticed any difference between the French and US vintage No. 19.

I'm determined to figure out the font change...stay tuned!
    Vintage No.19 is my absolute favorite, as it happens. It's what got me started on the vintage Chanels, and is the reason I focused on the 1970s as a starting point; I wanted to get my hands on the earliest example I could.

You'll get no argument from me that the juice is what really matters.
    I've had No.19 parfum and eau de cologne that were made in USA. Both were excellent, and I doubt I could tell them apart from their French-made equivalents. In both cases, though, the bottles had a cheap feel to them. I just know that, given the choice, I'll take the Chanel without "New York" on the packaging. But as I said before, by around around 1985, things seem to have improved, and the differences in packaging had largely disappeared. That's been my observation, anyway.

On a related note, I've always wondered how these bottles came into being.

Basenotes Plus

On a related note, I've always wondered how these bottles came into being.
    Do you mean you wonder who the bottle designer was, and the origin of the design?

Vintage No.19 is my absolute favorite, as it happens. It's what got me started on the vintage Chanels, and is the reason I focused on the 1970s as a starting point; I wanted to get my hands on the earliest example I could.
    It's a constant amazement to me that I could have spent the '70s running around in my Calandre and Lauren and Halston, and not even been aware that this great beauty was in the shops. I think in my callow youth I may have regarded Chanels in general as fusty and old-fashioned.

I should probably be less judgmental of all those girls who offend my nose with their Flowerbomb and J'Adore.

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Do you mean you wonder who the bottle designer was, and the origin of the design?
    Ah. That was cryptic, wasn't it. I meant, how did those odd-looking bottles find their way into the catalog? I could be wrong, but I don't think the French-made fragrances were ever packaged in bottles of that style. I'm surprised the parent company didn't put the kibosh on that design, since it doesn't really fit with the brand identity.

It's a constant amazement to me that I could have spent the '70s running around in my Calandre and Lauren and Halston, and not even been aware that this great beauty was in the shops. I think in my callow youth I may have regarded Chanels in general as fusty and old-fashioned.
    No.19 is a strange and beautiful beast. But I see how it could be a scent that not everyone gets at first, and that some never warm to. It probably "read" differently to a young woman in the '70s as well.
    Last edited by RoRo; 14th July 2019 at 05:45 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Kouros. Not sure what vintage it is - seems to have Parfums Corp. bottom of bottle, but the front of the bottle has Sanofi style text? It's also a glossy type bottle; I was assuming it might be plastic, but seller said it's glass. Tester as well. Any idea when they changed that atomizer nozzle?

Older atomizer type on left, latter on the right - when did this change?

**Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Duetto by Sospiro

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    Just bought both the EDP and parfum versions of Inoui by Shiseido. Ack!! My perfume budget (as if I have one!) is shot.
    Nice. I'm guessing that set you back a bit.
    Are these backups?

Wearing Perfume Right Now

A recent pickup. I was curious to give it a few wearings:

726F591A-C3E6-4D19-975B-92808BB11140.jpg

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post

I have had bad luck with it. One of mine that was destroyed by German customs .
    I did get a decant of it from one generous basenoter (not sure which vintage ) and did not like it. Too sour for me.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I have had bad luck with it. One of mine that was destroyed by German customs .
    I did get a decant of it from one generous basenoter (not sure which vintage ) and did not like it. Too sour for me.
    It's in good shape. It's the vintage edt. (I think edt indicates vintage and edp indicates the re-release).

LittleBunnyFouFou

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Kouros. Not sure what vintage it is - seems to have Parfums Corp. bottom of bottle, but the front of the bottle has Sanofi style text? It's also a glossy type bottle; I was assuming it might be plastic, but seller said it's glass. Tester as well. Any idea when they changed that atomizer nozzle?

Older atomizer type on left, latter on the right - when did this change?

I don't know about Kouros specifically, but I do know that weird/interesting bottles and packaging shows up often in feminine YSLs made/sold in the period when Parfum Corps became Sanofi. It seems as if there may have been packages and bottles - or parts thereof - already made or in the production areas that the Sanofi workers just utilized until they were gone.
    Currently wearing: Le Parfum by Sonia Rykiel

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by theladymay View Post
    I don't know about Kouros specifically, but I do know that weird/interesting bottles and packaging shows up often in feminine YSLs made/sold in the period when Parfum Corps became Sanofi. It seems as if there may have been packages and bottles - or parts thereof - already made or in the production areas that the Sanofi workers just utilized until they were gone.
    Haha, so it might be kind of a Frankenstein's Monster bottle - neat. Might find out more after it arrives, . Thanks!
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Duetto by Sospiro

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

Freed from BN Institution

A brand new splash bottle of Egoiste
    Attachment 105686
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post

I have to say that I enjoyed this stuff a lot. It reminds me of Guerlain Heritage.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Page 156 of 158 FirstFirst ... 56 106 146 154 155 156 157 158 LastLast