Code of Conduct
Page 159 of 169 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 157 158 159 160 161 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,770 of 5069
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

AlanG

Finally got the extrait I've wanted for eons and it doesn't disappoint !. The civet is clearly more than just a fixative but it never overwhelms and the juxtaposition with the sharp green jasmine is terrific. Patchouli can sometimes be problematic for me but the rich honeyed earthy base here is completely addictive. Despite it's fearsome reputation this is an eminently wearable floral chypre (with a definite hint of something lascivious lurking ). Certainly flamboyant and not for everyone but that won't concern me in the slightest. I'll be wearing it all year round

Quote Originally Posted by Couronne de Violette View Post
    I have a micro-mini from a gift set in the little gold-banded red bottle that I treasure; it's amazing. There's a teensy EdP that came with it, too, and it is clear that the sandalwood is superior in the earlier versions. I've become distracted by other scents recently, but Samsara is a gold standard.
    I think those gift sets might be the way to go as I’m still trying to get hold of Chamade as well(did I say that already?) -and Chamade prices are shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    AlanG

Finally got the extrait I've wanted for eons and it doesn't disappoint !. The civet is clearly more than just a fixative but it never overwhelms and the juxtaposition with the sharp green jasmine is terrific. Patchouli can sometimes be problematic for me but the rich honeyed earthy base here is completely addictive. Despite it's fearsome reputation this is an eminently wearable floral chypre (with a definite hint of something lascivious lurking ).
    Certainly flamboyant and not for everyone but that won't concern me in the slightest. I'll be wearing it all year round
    This is bottle is just beautiful! I love the descriptions I read about this fragrance and am looking forward to trying it at some point. There are many minis with the black cap (EDT EDP?) out there but this lovely bottle you have found is something I haven’t seen much, and it looks to be in excellent condition. Enjoy that great find!
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: Sweet Honesty by Avon

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    This is bottle is just beautiful! I love the descriptions I read about this fragrance and am looking forward to trying it at some point. There are many minis with the black cap (EDT EDP?) out there but this lovely bottle you have found is something I haven’t seen much, and it looks to be in excellent condition. Enjoy that great find!
    Many thanks - it is pristine. I really hope you get the opportunity to experience it.

AlanG

Finally got the extrait I've wanted for eons and it doesn't disappoint !. The civet is clearly more than just a fixative but it never overwhelms and the juxtaposition with the sharp green jasmine is terrific. Patchouli can sometimes be problematic for me but the rich honeyed earthy base here is completely addictive. Despite it's fearsome reputation this is an eminently wearable floral chypre (with a definite hint of something lascivious lurking ). Certainly flamboyant and not for everyone but that won't concern me in the slightest. I'll be wearing it all year round

Amazing Jon!!!!!!
    Congratulations!!!!!!!
    You’re CRUSHING it lately my friend........

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    Amazing Jon!!!!!!
    Congratulations!!!!!!!
    You’re CRUSHING it lately my friend........
    Sincerest thanks, Alan
    The fragrant gods have smiled upon me recently. Can't believe my luck

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Well my vintage made in Holland bottle of Dunhill Edition has finally arrived and it's most glorious.

Attachment 107323

Attachment 107324

Attachment 107325
    Congrats!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Freed from BN Institution

AlanG

This is indeed a very elegant bottle. By your description, this is something that I'd like to try at least once.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Congrats!
    Thanks, I got over ten hours longevity and could still smell traces of it this morning. It was so complex with many different notes coming and going over the course of it's life on the skin. It's so sad that the current reformulation has been stripped of all this complexity and longevity. With the current you just get a clovy citrus with nutmeg that is gone in three to four hours.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Vintage Dunhill Edition Edt (Made In Holland Bottle)
    2. Terre d'Hermès Edt
    3. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    4. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels

IMG_7943.jpg

For my wife (1993 bottle).

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Samasara is what got me in this mess
    What is the last one. Never heard of it. Indiscret?
    This is vintage Lucien Lelong.
    Lovely bottle of Indiscret, Earlyn. What do you think of it? I’m fascinated by all of the vintage Lelong perfumes.
    Currently wearing: Bellodgia by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    IMG_7943.jpg

For my wife (1993 bottle).
    Keeping mama happy! Nice!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Lovely bottle of Indiscret, Earlyn. What do you think of it? I’m fascinated by all of the vintage Lelong perfumes.
    So...you are fascinated by the Lelongs! I did a search and didn't find a thread about this house. Maybe it would be good to have one - hint

As to the Indiscret - I love it. So satisfying and so obviously vintage. I was very happy to try this and find the top still bright. It was a challenge at first, but wow, there is so much going on (in a good way) right through to the end.

I see why you were mentioning this in relation to the D'Orsay Intoxication. I'll be going back to my Intoxication to try that again and something tells me I might enjoy it more this time. I've got a few new little bottles of used Lelong and another D'Orsay to try. I'll post them soon. I really need to make a must have list or I'm going to obsessively track down every vintage from these two houses just to see what they are about.

Basenotes Plus

My Sin.jpg

For the Mrs. to try. She loves Rumeur and hates Arpège: I expect this will fall in the middle.The one I think she'd really like (from the description) is Scandal, but that's at a very different price point.

I see why you were mentioning this in relation to the D'Orsay Intoxication. I'll be going back to my Intoxication to try that again and something tells me I might enjoy it more this time. I've got a few new little bottles of used Lelong and another D'Orsay to try. I'll post them soon. I really need to make a must have list or I'm going to obsessively track down every vintage from these two houses just to see what they are about.
    The amber and oak moss base sounds pretty good for D'Orsay Intoxication. My recent experience with amber and oakmoss was with Bourjois Or Masculin. In addition to those notes it had sandalwood and patchouli. It had a harsh jasmine note in the beginning which made it difficult to wear.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

[QUOTE=allkindsofwatches1;4695318]Keeping mama happy! Nice!

Exactly.........

Always be smelling

This is vintage Lucien Lelong.
    Maybe we need a Lelong thread.
    I have no idea about the house. I do own one but that was because the bottle was cool looking - Tailspin
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Thanks, I got over ten hours longevity and could still smell traces of it this morning. It was so complex with many different notes coming and going over the course of it's life on the skin. It's so sad that the current reformulation has been stripped of all this complexity and longevity. With the current you just get a clovy citrus with nutmeg that is gone in three to four hours.
    I am a big fan of Edition. I think I have all the version up until Made in Germany and I can see the change with each reformulation.
    The current one is good for 10 seconds and then useless.
    Here is a thread on it. http://www.basenotes.net/threads/428...unhill-Edition

If you want something similar and current try NeroUno - http://www.basenotes.net/ID26134959.html

FBW

I am a big fan of Edition. I think I have all the version up until Made in Germany and I can see the change with each reformulation.
    The current one is good for 10 seconds and then useless.
    Here is a thread on it. http://www.basenotes.net/threads/428...unhill-Edition

If you want something similar and current try NeroUno - http://www.basenotes.net/ID26134959.html

FBW
    Thanks for the recommendation, will check that one out. I've since managed to get another vintage bottle on Ebay this time for 100ml. I saw the dot above the i in Dunhill on the bottle and the photo on the bottom said produced in the Netherlands. I just snapped it up straight away, it's quite shocking the difference between the vintage and current. The former is glorious and the latter is pitiful to say the least in comparison.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Vintage Dunhill Edition Edt (Made In Holland Bottle)
    2. Terre d'Hermès Edt
    3. Musk Cologne By Bortnikoff
    4. Pegwell Bay By Haeckels

I received a sealed 2001 bottle of Guerlain Vetiver. I immediately regretted selling my 2000 bottle earlier this year. It is wonderful to have it back, I missed! Smells even a little bit better to me than the previous bottle.
    Last edited by Hothamwater; 24th August 2019 at 12:01 AM.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Found this bottle of Totem by Dana in an antique shop on a road trip. Bottle is big - at least 4.5”. Nice fully glass stopper, and a lovely well-preserved smell. Some DNA shared with Tabu, but a little more tang at the top and spice in the middle.
    E33FBE00-0DA2-4FCD-9B95-B44FBA6DAC63.jpg
    This fragrance is puzzling me. I find very little information about the scent or the bottle. This info from Cleopatra’s Boudoir-
    Javier Serra was inspired by Freud’s book cover for "Totem & Taboo." He launched Tabu and then in 1935 launched Totem. There was a brief re-releasein 2005ish but the bottle looks nothing like this.
    Last edited by Earlyn; 25th August 2019 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Add info

Basenotes Plus

Found this bottle of Totem by Dana in an antique shop on a road trip. Bottle is big - at least 4.5”. Nice fully glass stopper, and a lovely well-preserved smell. Some DNA shared with Tabu, but a little more tang at the top and spice in the middle.

This fragrance is puzzling me. I find very little information about the scent or the bottle.
    Very interesting find Earlyn! Perfume Intelligence identifies Totem as a 1939 Dana masculine. Does Totem feel "masculine" to you? (As if there is such a clear cut thing...) The bottle looks the same as the older Tabu parfum bottles. If PI is correct, it almost seems as though Tabu and Totem were paired feminine/masculine scents, which seems quite modern.
    Currently wearing: Bellodgia by Caron

E33FBE00-0DA2-4FCD-9B95-B44FBA6DAC63.jpg
    This fragrance is puzzling me. I find very little information about the scent or the bottle. This info from Cleopatra’s Boudoir-
    Javier Serra was inspired by Freud’s book cover for "Totem & Taboo." He launched Tabu and then in 1935 launched Totem. There was a brief re-releasein 2005ish but the bottle looks nothing like this.
    That looks beautiful. My concern is the amount of air inside the bottle and if and how much significance it would have towards the overall scent. Do you know when it was originally discontinued approximately?

Very interesting find Earlyn! Perfume Intelligence identifies Totem as a 1939 Dana masculine. Does Totem feel "masculine" to you? (As if there is such a clear cut thing...) The bottle looks the same as the older Tabu parfum bottles. If PI is correct, it almost seems as though Tabu and Totem were paired feminine/masculine scents, which seems quite modern.
    I when I get this home in a week I’ll test this along side my Tabu to see how they pair. Don’t know if I can say this is masculine, but from what I remember of Tabu, this has shared aspects in the base and I can see this being complimentary. I get bergamot and neroli, some warm spice blended with sharp and smooth florals, amber and vanilla and an animalic with a faint hint of bandaid.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    That looks beautiful. My concern is the amount of air inside the bottle and if and how much significance it would have towards the overall scent. Do you know when it was originally discontinued approximately?
    There is not much information available about the original release or discontinuation in the searches so far so maybe it was overshadowed by its wildly popular mate, Tabu. I’ll do more research when I’m back home. I was concerned about that big air space too and took some time with the fragrance before purchasing, but it is all there, smooth and vintage - the mellowed but still defined top and a progression through the florals and spices and amber, to animalic woody vanilla.

Basenotes Plus

Just received this the other day. If I understand the batch codes, this bottle is from 1989.

Always be smelling

Not something common but really good.
    It has that incensy pepper that I like.
    Can you guess the house without googling or basenoting ?

Quote Originally Posted by aero58 View Post
    Just received this the other day. If I understand the batch codes, this bottle is from 1989.

my top 3 forever...vintage JAZZ is my life......

Basenotes Plus

Not something common but really good.
    It has that incensy pepper that I like.
    Can you guess the house without googling or basenoting ?
    I cannot. I looked your pic over and over, and it seems like something that Avon or Mary Kay would release. But I’m going to say, since you’re asking for a guess, it’s nothing someone would expect and likely from a source that doesn’t traditionally produce fragrance. Marriott for a property in Italy, from the late 80’s to early 90’s?
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Basenotes Plus

Can you guess the house without googling or basenoting?
    Not in a million years. But, your "currently wearing" tag is a bit of a giveaway.

Page 159 of 169 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 157 158 159 160 161 ... LastLast