Code of Conduct
Page 172 of 172 FirstFirst ... 72 122 162 170 171 172
Results 5,131 to 5,148 of 5148
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    How do you like it? Very expensive stuff.
    I don't know yet. That's a mini I bought online: cost me a big $15.

Of course, if I really like it, it might end up costing me more.
    Currently wearing: Joop! Homme by Joop!

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I don't know yet. That's a mini I bought online: cost me a big $15.

Of course, if I really like it, it might end up costing me more.
    That ain't bad. There was a regular sized bottle that was posted in the sales thread a few months ago. It was going for $375 I think?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Verveine Narcisse by Creed

Basenotes Plus

That ain't bad. There was a regular sized bottle that was posted in the sales thread a few months ago. It was going for $375 I think?
    Oh, yeah, prices are crazy, and there's also a 2014 reissue that might not be the equal of the vintage.

I can't imagine I'm going to love GK enough to pay $375 for 100 ml; it takes a lot to push me over $2/ml, and I try to keep it closer to half that. (Miniatures are, of necessity, an exception.) Not that quantity tracks with quality or value—I'm not in a position to state what a fragrance is worth objectively—but at this early, foundation-building part of my hobby, I have to temper my enthusiasm with something akin to rational limits.

It's another matter if I'm buying niche fragrances directly from the artisan. I still have to keep it sane, but the economics are different.

Basenotes Plus

Default Vintage Fragrances I bought today

Editing my response now that Iíve had coffee and am awake. My initial response was one of a bit of sticker shock. Iíve no idea the current value on vintage GK. To anyone who read my first response, I hope it didnít offend. I love everyone here and wish all the best.

GK is a good fragrance. It seems that itís gotten out of my comfort zone on price for what it it is now.
    Last edited by Diddy; Yesterday at 12:53 PM.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Scratching an Avon itch - looking for pleasing, well-preserved fragrances that give my budget some breathing room.

Haiku (2001) 2002 bottle. Light citrus floral. At first spray seems pleasant - compliments from family. More testing.

Imperial Garden (1973) pre-barcode spray (dousing). Light earthy floral - need more testing.

Sweet Honesty(1973) ghastly 1978 bottle. Not excited about this one but it is very well preserved and will be cheap for me to try.

Hanagasa (1971) perfume oil 70ís-80ís. Fresh warm floral. Tried the cologne from a vintage sample kit and liked it. Now I have a roller and the oil. The oil is surprisingly short lived but very nice, the roller has better projection and longevity. Evidently Rare Gold was the replacement for this fragrance but I like this one. Will seek the cologne spray.

Occur! (1963) cool pre-barcode bottle from avon lady estate. Liked this floral Chypre? from my vintage sample kit so got this. Cap was so difficult to turn I thought it was going to break, but the seal was probably the reason this scent is in great shape.

AD51CEB4-56B5-44F1-A251-353CD2EE30BF.jpg
    ĒI want all the perfumesĒ
    Currently wearing: Eau de Joy by Jean Patou

Basenotes Plus

Me91419.jpg
    A couple of obscure cheapies flanking a bargain-priced ringer.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    Occur! (1963) cool pre-barcode bottle from avon lady estate. Liked this floral Chypre? from my vintage sample kit so got this. Cap was so difficult to turn I thought it was going to break, but the seal was probably the reason this scent is in great shape.
    I really like that bottle the Occur is in -- but I have a thing for hobnailed and ribbed bottles. I remember my mother having Occur, but I think it was in one of those rubberized atomizer bottles Avon was so fond of.

The Sweet Honesty bottle is rather hilariously 1970's neo-Victorian-hippie-earth-motherish. For the girl who wore Gunne Sax dresses.
    Before the leaves fall, an all-green September:
    Aromatics Elixir / Azuree / Corsica Furiosa / Cristalle / Eau du Sud / Eau Sauvage / Iskander / Ivoire, 1980 / Ivoire, 2012 / Le Canotier / Ninfeo Mio / No. 19 / Prince de Galles Sport / Route de Vetiver / Safari / Silences / Sud Est / Tiare / Vent Vert / Vetiver de Guerlain / Vetiverus / Vert de Acampora

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    Scratching an Avon itch - looking for pleasing, well-preserved fragrances that give my budget some breathing room.

Haiku (2001) 2002 bottle. Light citrus floral. At first spray seems pleasant - compliments from family. More testing.

Imperial Garden (1973) pre-barcode spray (dousing). Light earthy floral - need more testing.

Sweet Honesty(1973) ghastly 1978 bottle. Not excited about this one but it is very well preserved and will be cheap for me to try.

Hanagasa (1971) perfume oil 70’s-80’s. Fresh warm floral. Tried the cologne from a vintage sample kit and liked it. Now I have a roller and the oil. The oil is surprisingly short lived but very nice, the roller has better projection and longevity. Evidently Rare Gold was the replacement for this fragrance but I like this one. Will seek the cologne spray.

AD51CEB4-56B5-44F1-A251-353CD2EE30BF.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I really like that bottle the Occur is in -- but I have a thing for hobnailed and ribbed bottles. I remember my mother having Occur, but I think it was in one of those rubberized atomizer bottles Avon was so fond of.

The Sweet Honesty bottle is rather hilariously 1970's neo-Victorian-hippie-earth-motherish. For the girl who wore Gunne Sax dresses.
    My To a Wild Rose (1951) comes in the same bottle as the Occur! It was part of the "Crystal Cologne" series.
    oh look, I have a signature

Me91419.jpg
    The bottles keep rolling in. You're going to be needing more shelves as well right?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Editing my response now that I’ve had coffee and am awake. My initial response was one of a bit of sticker shock. I’ve no idea the current value on vintage GK. To anyone who read my first response, I hope it didn’t offend. I love everyone here and wish all the best.

GK is a good fragrance. It seems that it’s gotten out of my comfort zone on price for what it it is now.
    GK in its original formulation is a wonderful fragrance, not an economical friendly purchase by any means. I will say that I prefer a lot of other vintage choices over it.

Basenotes Plus

You're going to be needing more shelves as well right?
    Well, I have to put up the ones I've got. But now, we're thinking we should repaint the bathroom before we put new shelves on the wall, so meanwhile, I'll be taking more shelves in that medicine cabinet.

"Space: the final frontier…"

Default Vintage Fragrances I bought today

Me91419.jpg
    The Ungaro sure ain't no cheapie in europe (but what is). It's good but I hate vanilla in fragrances.
    Could thy let it be known thy thoughts on the Griffi? Seen it a lot but never tried it. Thankyaverymuch.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    The Ungaro sure ain't no cheapie in europe (but what is). It's good but I hate vanilla in fragrances.
    Could thy let it be known thy thoughts on the Griffi? Seen it a lot but never tried it. Thankyaverymuch.
    I'm not a huge vanilla fan either, so the U2 may turn out to be a mistake, but if so, it wasn't a very expensive one. I made a low-ball offer and the seller took it. And, yes, I'll give my thoughts on the Griffi when I get around to wearing it. There was a smidge of discussion on it some time ago, but apparently that was a bad bottle. Let's hope this is a good one.

I'm not a huge vanilla fan either, so the U2 may turn out to be a mistake, but if so, it wasn't a very expensive one. I made a low-ball offer and the seller took it. And, yes, I'll give my thoughts on the Griffi when I get around to wearing it. There was a smidge of discussion on it some time ago, but apparently that was a bad bottle. Let's hope this is a good one.
    Thanks, Stoller! Good to hear on the low price. U2 has a bright persistent lemon which I like, but it gets too vanilic/sweet in the base that seems to go on endlessly, IMHO. But hey, I'm the guy who thinks that even Giorgio Beverly Hills' V.I.P. is much to sweet...

Basenotes Plus

U2 has a bright persistent lemon which I like, but it gets too vanilic/sweet in the base that seems to go on endlessly, IMHO. But hey, I'm the guy who thinks that even Giorgio Beverly Hills' V.I.P. is much to sweet...
    Well, I had that reaction to Dior Homme, so my sensitivity to it may be similar. We shall see.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks, Stoller! Good to hear on the low price. U2 has a bright persistent lemon which I like, but it gets too vanilic/sweet in the base that seems to go on endlessly, IMHO. But hey, I'm the guy who thinks that even Giorgio Beverly Hills' V.I.P. is much to sweet...
    I thought U1 was easily the best of them.

Basenotes Plus

GK in its original formulation is a wonderful fragrance, not an economical friendly purchase by any means. I will say that I prefer a lot of other vintage choices over it.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I thought U1 was easily the best of them.
    No argument there.

Page 172 of 172 FirstFirst ... 72 122 162 170 171 172