Code of Conduct
Page 174 of 181 FirstFirst ... 74 124 164 172 173 174 175 176 ... LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,220 of 5424

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    What a stylish presentation of a true unicorn. In The Emperor of Scent, Burr quotes Turin saying that Shanghai is "one of only three fragrances I know of that use ginger." Are you getting any ginger in there, Earlyn?

Lentheric ran great ads too.

Attachment 109091
    I don't know if I am smelling ginger, but I do have a sample fragrance with a clear ginger note that I can try to compare it to when I do a better testing. I can tell there are more flowers there and a more complex base than I get at first.
    I love to see these old ads - so helpful as a historical reference, and just as great art. It would be nice to have a thread just for posting vintage ads if there isn't one already. Think I'll go look now!
    EDIT - I see there are lots of them on the forum!
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: Givenchy III by Givenchy

Basenotes Plus

I feel I've been slacking, especially with all the success in the "No-Buy" thread. So:
    92019.jpg
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Basenotes Plus

Also this, sealed, for Mrs. S to try.
    Nuit de Noël.jpg

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I feel I've been slacking, especially with all the success in the "No-Buy" thread. So:
    92019.jpg
    Nuit de Noël.jpg

Terrific line-up - many congratulations

Freed from BN Institution

92019.jpg
    You did well. Any chance for some rarities like Derby and Patou Pour Homme? A few Creed pickups?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Tihota by Indult

Quote Originally Posted by relus View Post
    Two fragrance that I'm guilty for never trying.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    You did well. Any chance for some rarities like Derby and Patou Pour Homme? A few Creed pickups?
    There's always a chance, but given the high prices those frags command, it's not a very big chance. (A 50 ml bottle of vintage Derby runs more than all those bottles combined—and it's less expensive than Patou pour Homme.) I buy a lot of stuff, but I'm cost-conscious with each purchase. So, the rarities would have to be relative bargains as well.

Took the plunge on Ma Griffe extrait. Blind as a bat, hopefully the soul is still intact.

Ma Griffe.jpg

Basenotes Plus

Caron Pour Un Homme Champagne Cologne

**Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Default Vintage Fragrances I bought today

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post

Have you smelled it before or is it a blind buy? I’d be curious on your take of it compared to the original. Thanks

Edit: just read your thread on it. Looking forward to your future comments on it.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Two fragrance that I'm guilty for never trying.
    Theres always the chance bro, get Pour homme red AND black cap, both awesome but required taste, same for opium, opium get the vintage blue plastic, parfum corps for example, way better than todays version imo

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Couronne de Violette View Post
    Took the plunge on Ma Griffe extrait. Blind as a bat, hopefully the soul is still intact.
    I have an extrait from the 1940s. The top is shot, the middle a wee bit degraded, but oh la la, that vintage base.

Basenotes Plus

Ma Griffe.jpg
    Now that bottle looks very good, and I think Ma Griffe generally holds up well. Hope you enjoy it.
    Currently wearing: Tabac Blond by Caron

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Have you smelled it before or is it a blind buy? I’d be curious on your take of it compared to the original. Thanks

Edit: just read your thread on it. Looking forward to your future comments on it.
    I'll have to find that thread. I was watching this myself, but couldn't justify the leap. In any case, congrats to ILP!

Ma Griffe.jpg
    That bottle looks very nice. I have a bottle that looks to be of this age and juice of similar color, and the fragrance is still beautiful and seems sturdy. I was very nervous to open it because the stopper was stuck fast. I managed to get it out and think maybe that tight stopper (and the box) helped with the preservation. I’m so impressed that this was composed by the great Jean Charles in his later years when he was almost anosmic.
    Nuit de Noël.jpg
    Very nice presentation to the Mrs.!

AMAZONE EDT and Parfum Mini
    E77FE5FE-A682-4C86-821F-7DB862082176.jpg
    Just a little dab from the bottle so far but I am getting a bit of a Givenchy III sweet/bitter cocoa-like push and pull and a little of the warm floating shape, but not so well defined as the Givenchy III sample that I recently tested for the first time. Thinking this Amazone is also a good one to compare and contrast with the Chamade sample (although Chamade is proving more difficult for me). Hyacinth all around, but different effect to study. Guess these notes should go in the vintage sampling thread but the Amazone is a new purchase.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    Very nice presentation to the Mrs.!
    Thanks! And I look forward to your future impressions of Amazone.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post

I will report thoughts on it,

I'll have to find that thread. I was watching this myself, but couldn't justify the leap. In any case, congrats to ILP!
    Grazie!
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

That bottle looks very nice. I have a bottle that looks to be of this age and juice of similar color, and the fragrance is still beautiful and seems sturdy. I was very nervous to open it because the stopper was stuck fast. I managed to get it out and think maybe that tight stopper (and the box) helped with the preservation. I’m so impressed that this was composed by the great Jean Charles in his later years when he was almost anosmic.
    I have a Shalimar EdC with a stuck stopper, as a backup. Have no idea how I will get it out, but I've been saving tips from Basenoters. I've been circling Ma Griffe for a while and have heard it can be challenging. Fingers crossed!

Basenotes Plus

I have a Shalimar EdC with a stuck stopper, as a backup. Have no idea how I will get it out, but I've been saving tips from Basenoters. I've been circling Ma Griffe for a while and have heard it can be challenging. Fingers crossed!
    I had a stuck glass stopper before. Is it glass? At any rate... I put the bottle in the freezer, pulled it out about 30 minutes later, and gave the stopper a solid pull. It came out. I’ve heard tale of people using a hair dryer to heat up the stopper to remove it. However, unless the material being heated becomes pliable when it’s temp is elevated, I’d use extreme caution. Heat causes expansion and a potential tightening of the stopper.

If all else fails... a hammer and a strainer will prove most useful. Make sure to have a new bottle available.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

There's always a chance, but given the high prices those frags command, it's not a very big chance. (A 50 ml bottle of vintage Derby runs more than all those bottles combined—and it's less expensive than Patou pour Homme.) I buy a lot of stuff, but I'm cost-conscious with each purchase. So, the rarities would have to be relative bargains as well.
    I saw a 50ml bottle of Derby going for about $200 on ebay a few weeks earlier. Not sure if that would be good enough for you as bargain worthy.

AMAZONE EDT and Parfum Mini
    E77FE5FE-A682-4C86-821F-7DB862082176.jpg
    Just a little dab from the bottle so far but I am getting a bit of a Givenchy III sweet/bitter cocoa-like push and pull and a little of the warm floating shape, but not so well defined as the Givenchy III sample that I recently tested for the first time. Thinking this Amazone is also a good one to compare and contrast with the Chamade sample (although Chamade is proving more difficult for me). Hyacinth all around, but different effect to study. Guess these notes should go in the vintage sampling thread but the Amazone is a new purchase.
    The notes breakdown for this one does interest me, haven't tried this one myself or Givenchy iii for that matter. Would you consider this a woody green aromatic scent?

Basenotes Plus

I saw a 50ml bottle of Derby going for about $200 on ebay a few weeks earlier. Not sure if that would be good enough for you as bargain worthy.
    I think it went for $185. Personally, I think $3+/ml is a lot to spend on a blind-buy full bottle, and that's the range for classic Derby these days. I can wait it out until a better deal surfaces. It's not as if I have nothing else to wear.

To wit, today's haul:

92219.jpg

I paid "real money" for one of these; the other five combined were about the same as that one.

I think it went for $185. Personally, I think $3+/ml is a lot to spend on a blind-buy full bottle, and that's the range for classic Derby these days. I can wait it out until a better deal surfaces. It's not as if I have nothing else to wear.

To wit, today's haul:

92219.jpg

I paid "real money" for one of these; the other five combined were about the same as that one.
    Ah yes Gucci Pour Homme, that's a classic one. Dior Jules is something I've never tried.

I posted this elsewhere but repeating here -
    If you wrap the neck in copper wire and twist the ends together to make a tab, you can hold a soldering iron against the tab to heat up the neck while simultaneously applying bagged ice to the exposed stopper. After neck is warm and stopper is cold you can give it a try and if it is still stuck you can do what I learned from a vintage article on Cleopatra’s Boudoir - gently tap the sides of the exposed stopper with another glass perfume bottle. That last thing freed two stoppers for me (including a similar Arpege), but it was very anxiety provoking to tap glass against glass. It certainly could have gone another way.

The notes breakdown for this one does interest me, haven't tried this one myself or Givenchy iii for that matter. Would you consider this a woody green aromatic scent?
    Woody first, not a bright green, flowers and fruit (bittersweet) very blended and balanced with moss and hay/grass.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning! (OK, afternoon for you "day people.")

9-23-19.jpg

Old ’n’ cheap, the way I likes ’em.

Basenotes Plus

Was it the Nuit de Noel that cost "real money"?

Basenotes Plus

I learned from a vintage article on Cleopatra’s Boudoir - gently tap the sides of the exposed stopper with another glass perfume bottle. That last thing freed two stoppers for me (including a similar Arpege), but it was very anxiety provoking to tap glass against glass. It certainly could have gone another way.

Oooo, I'm not sure my nerves could stand that.

Why would glass-on-glass work better, I wonder?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Was it the Nuit de Noel that cost "real money"?
    Nyet on the Nuit. That was a veritable steal.

Page 174 of 181 FirstFirst ... 74 124 164 172 173 174 175 176 ... LastLast