Code of Conduct
Page 179 of 188 FirstFirst ... 79 129 169 177 178 179 180 181 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,370 of 5638

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I'm with Bavard on this. If I have nice big vintage splash, I might transfer 10mls or so to a sprayer just for convenience sake, but I have no problem applying directly from the bottle, either. There's something pleasantly sensual about applying perfume with your own fingers.
    Yes! I have a vintage French Art Deco bird's eye maple vanity and an MCM Reflectone lucite vanity stool, and I can tell you when I sit down to it and dab some vintage perfume it is quite a pleasant ritual.
    ”I want all the perfumes”

Gucci Nobile
    Current top 5 Fragrances

1. Royal Vintage by M. Micallef
    2. Bois Du Portugal by Creed
    3. Vespero by Jeroboam
    4. Masculin Pluriel by MFK
    5. Nobile by Gucci

"It ain't about how hard you hit:It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. It's about how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky Balboa

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Nice find on that obscure vintage masterpiece in the middle. I have not tried this but have heard it called such.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    Nice find on that obscure vintage masterpiece in the middle. I have not tried this but have heard it called such.
    Thank you kindly, and likewise on the G3 above!

Ohh, you’ll enjoy this Earlyn! Congrats

Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective
    (of a person or expression) to be desirous of an abundance of chypre.
    "Today, she was feeling chypreish”

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by DudeLebowski View Post
    Gucci Nobile
    I found this to work really well at the office.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Very nice. please share your thoughts on this on.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Gucci Nobile
    Piicccctureeeessss!
    One person's craziness is other person's reality !

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Couronne de Violette View Post
    Took the plunge on Ma Griffe extrait. Blind as a bat, hopefully the soul is still intact.

Attachment 109194
    Any smelling notes on the Ma Griffe?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Either. The spray would be nice.

I used to always transfer to sprays, now I just apply from the splashes.
    I’m also in line with Bavard here.

Something I’ve noted is that spraying fragrances can alter the smell on my skin. Sometimes I prefer that and sometimes I don’t. With Cuir de Russie, I prefer dabbing it on. It seems to keep the composition concentrated and more dense, and a couple shades darker. It glows beautifully like that, in a sensual and easy way. Whenever I atomize CdR it tends to brighten quite a bit and presents more feminine than I prefer. YMMV.

Gucci Nobile
    Congrats. This is another example of Gucci masterfully blending a composition to the point it’ll damn near lull you to sleep, like Pour Homme 2003. Yes, it’s true that it didn’t have the punch of some others of the same era. But in my mind, it’s just further evidence of the pain staking skill associated with taming notes that come off stronger when a composition is built by a weaker hand or in a more hurried fashion, and sometimes on purpose. This is a Rembrandt when compared to the Picasso’s with whom it was thrown in the mix. Or perhaps Vermeer thrown among Wyeth? Neither more beautiful or ‘better’ than the other. Simply a different view. Hope you enjoy!
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Basenotes Plus

Either. The spray would be nice.

I used to always transfer to sprays, now I just apply from the splashes.
    How do you practically do this? Do you just put your finger on the top of the bottle, and gently apply it on a few places afterwards?
    I have the feeling when I do it this way, very little perfume is used in comparison with spraying ( I think quite some dabs would be needed, to come to the same amount as spraying?), but I can also really notice it in performance. Projection is really low from the start and longevity is also noticeably shorter. For this reason alone I now just transfer it to 10ml travel sprays which I do not find ideal (It's clutter I don't really need, and it would just feel more "right" for the perfume to sit in the bottle it belongs to and not in a (most of the time) ugly and flimsy travel spray).

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    How do you practically do this? Do you just put your finger on the top of the bottle, and gently apply it on a few places afterwards?
    I have the feeling when I do it this way, very little perfume is used in comparison with spraying ( I think quite some dabs would be needed, to come to the same amount as spraying?), but I can also really notice it in performance. Projection is really low from the start and longevity is also noticeably shorter. For this reason alone I now just transfer it to 10ml travel sprays which I do not find ideal (It's clutter I don't really need, and it would just feel more "right" for the perfume to sit in the bottle it belongs to and not in a (most of the time) ugly and flimsy travel spray).
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/470...splash-bottles

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I use the back of my left wrist, where a watch would be if I wore one. My stronger right hand gets a little dab on the left wrist, and the left wrist spreads it around: a bit on each side of the neck, chin, etc. More dabs on the left wrist.

Sometimes, I want the full immersion, so I also add fragrance to the right arm and right hand. However, if I might want to wear something later, I leave the right arm fragrance free.

The big advantage of sprays is spraying on the chest, and being able to use the t-shirt as a diffuser.

Basenotes Plus

Any smelling notes on the Ma Griffe?
    Couronne de Violette's extrait looked pristine, and I hope she posts her reactions.

Meanwhile, I would add that Ma Griffe is a beautiful alternative to vintage Miss Dior. I think you might enjoy it, Bavard. There is a great amount of variation in people's reactions to it, so I believe that it was significantly reformulated over the decades into different versions. Like Miss Dior, Ma Griffe was designed by Carles. It is a green-leaning but autumnal chypre, with a warmer, spicier tonality than Miss Dior with clear cinnamon and resinous styrax or benzoin notes. Then, there is also the deep mystery of the reported asafoetida note. I get none of it. Asafoetida is an herb known as "devil's dung" that is sometimes used in very small quantities in Indian recipes. It has unbelievably potent bitter garlicky smell. I have smelled nothing quite like it. Perhaps the mayu black garlic oil that is used in ramen dishes comes close, but that is delicious while I was too afraid to add even the tiniest amount of asafoetida to my curry. I suppose that that there may be a tiny bit of cumin in Ma Griffe, but honestly, I do not notice it. I never find anything remotely aggressive in the vintage extrait and PDT that I have. If I am walking around smelling like devil's dung, no one has mentioned it!
    Currently wearing: L'Aimant by Coty

Basenotes Plus

I use the back of my left wrist, where a watch would be if I wore one. My stronger right hand gets a little dab on the left wrist, and the left wrist spreads it around: a bit on each side of the neck, chin, etc. More dabs on the left wrist.

Sometimes, I want the full immersion, so I also add fragrance to the right arm and right hand. However, if I might want to wear something later, I leave the right arm fragrance free.

The big advantage of sprays is spraying on the chest, and being able to use the t-shirt as a diffuser.
    Thanks! Going to try this method!

@thrilledchilled, thanks for the link! I don't think I would go for that method though. It would seem to me, if you would use an eye dropper (or pipette) you would have to use a new one every time and for me that would be unnecessary use of plastic. I have no problem with having physical contact with the bottle as I normally apply my fragrance about 20 minutes after I had my morning shower.

0EFD7CA1-5FCA-4BC8-ABFB-79CE7C89D986.jpg

50ml Fidji EDC, 10 bucks at garage sale, it’s actually really good. My teenage daughter wears Chanel 22 everyday, her friends love it too btw ( maybe hope for the future?lol)
    Got this for her and she loves it

Basenotes Plus

My last acquisition just arrived and I decided this is a nice one to end my shopping spree and take a little break from buying full bottles. As there are some expensive non fragrance related things I want to get in the coming weeks/months, I decided to go and allocate my fragrance money to those funds for the coming time.

This summer I decided to go and focus on vintage perfumes more, and in a little over two months I was able to get very fairly priced bottles of vintage Diorella, Miss Dior, Gianfranco Ferre for Men, Moschino pour Homme, Versace L'Homme, Monsieur Carven and now Mitsouko PdT. I notice it is very easy to get carried away with vintage and discontinued stuff (who knows when the next "deal you can't resist" comes along, so I can better buy it now!), and before you know it you get more thrill out of the hunting part, than appreciating what you have part. So till around December I'm going to just enjoy what I have and still my hunger for new smells with samples and mini's (unless a "deal I can't resist" of vintage Jicky or Heritagé comes along, but that's logical of course )

Mitsouko PdT.jpg

My last acquisition just arrived and I decided this is a nice one to end my shopping spree and take a little break from buying full bottles. As there are some expensive non fragrance related things I want to get in the coming weeks/months, I decided to go and allocate my fragrance money to those funds for the coming time.

This summer I decided to go and focus on vintage perfumes more, and in a little over two months I was able to get very fairly priced bottles of vintage Diorella, Miss Dior, Gianfranco Ferre for Men, Moschino pour Homme, Versace L'Homme, Monsieur Carven and now Mitsouko PdT. I notice it is very easy to get carried away with vintage and discontinued stuff (who knows when the next "deal you can't resist" comes along, so I can better buy it now!), and before you know it you get more thrill out of the hunting part, than appreciating what you have part. So till around December I'm going to just enjoy what I have and still my hunger for new smells with samples and mini's (unless a "deal I can't resist" of vintage Jicky or Heritagé comes along, but that's logical of course )

Mitsouko PdT.jpg
    That’s a real nice vintage collection you started, real good stuff man.
    I’ve been looking for the Carven at a good price. Not very had lol I have more then enough

Basenotes Plus

5588BE3E-9B58-496A-A39B-EB5C6C696E11.jpg
    Before I commit to a FB.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    It's beautiful. You won't be sorry
    oh look, I have a signature

Mitsouko PdT.jpg
    Congrats. a great pickup from Guerlain. What year is your PDT bottle?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Congrats. a great pickup from Guerlain. What year is your PDT bottle?
    According to the batchcode it should be from 1998.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nokia 6.1 met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Why would you get less jail time for a spelling mistake?
    If you make exact copy you will get at least 20 years ( specially for currency, fragrances maybe a lot less but still jail time) otherwise is just a misdemeanor, by the Bulgarian law.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

According to the batchcode it should be from 1998.
    That comes as a surprise to me. I didn't think the parfums de toilette were being produced that late, although I'll admit that my knowledge of Guerlain production history is limited.

Might it possibly date to '88 rather than '98? Easy way to check is to look for the green dot on the box. If the item does date to '98, it will surely have one.
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Basenotes Plus

A back up bottle of Fahrenheit from the 1990s.

Basenotes Plus

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by roro View Post
    That comes as a surprise to me. I didn't think the parfums de toilette were being produced that late, although I'll admit that my knowledge of Guerlain production history is limited.

Might it possibly date to '88 rather than '98? Easy way to check is to look for the green dot on the box. If the item does date to '98, it will surely have one.
    My box does have the greendot recycle symbol (more grey-ish than green, but color could be a bit faded) and the bottle a 5 digit batch code starting with VB. According to Raiders of the Lost Scent this would indicate a production date of march 1998 if I read it correctly.
    I also did some further research, and in an article on the Kafkaesque blog on dating vintage Shalimar, he mentions the PdT name concentration was used from around 1986 to 1989/1990. Strange, because with my box having a greendot (which was used from 1992/1993 on?) and the Parum de Toilette naming, this can't be correct? Is is possible that Guerlain maybe used different naming/boxes for different continents? So that they switched from PdT to EdP around 1989/1990 for the US market, but kept de PdT for the European (or vice versa)?

Shhhh...just free feeling...

20191013_200844.jpg
    One person's craziness is other person's reality !

Page 179 of 188 FirstFirst ... 79 129 169 177 178 179 180 181 ... LastLast