Quote Originally Posted by Deleanu View Post
    Shhhh...just free feeling...

Attachment 110626
    Great pick up on the Macassar...
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

Quote Originally Posted by DudeLebowski View Post
    Gucci Nobile
    Congrats m, nothing more to say as Diddy wrote what's to be written...

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Great pick up on the Macassar...
    Mhhm. Purchase of the year! What are your thoughts about it?
    One person's craziness is other person's reality !

Mhhm. Purchase of the year! What are your thoughts about it?
    Which version did you get? It's a very bold fragrance, but dry down is quite wonderful and restrained. Long lasting as well.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Shhhh...just free feeling...

Attachment 110626
    Wonderful acquisitions!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    My box does have the greendot recycle symbol (more grey-ish than green, but color could be a bit faded) and the bottle a 5 digit batch code starting with VB. According to Raiders of the Lost Scent this would indicate a production date of march 1998 if I read it correctly.
    I also did some further research, and in an article on the Kafkaesque blog on dating vintage Shalimar, he mentions the PdT name concentration was used from around 1986 to 1989/1990. Strange, because with my box having a greendot (which was used from 1992/1993 on?) and the Parum de Toilette naming, this can't be correct? Is is possible that Guerlain maybe used different naming/boxes for different continents? So that they switched from PdT to EdP around 1989/1990 for the US market, but kept de PdT for the European (or vice versa)?
    Yes, that does sound like it has to be 1998. You asked, "Is it possible that. . . ?" I can't answer that particular question, but in response I would say, "Almost anything is possible." That said, I rather doubt Guerlain used different naming and/or boxes for different regional markets. There is probably some other explanation.

But the important thing is that you enjoy your new acquisition. The only Guerlain PDT I've smelled is Shalimar. That's the only version of Shalimar I've smelled, come to think of it.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Basenotes Plus

Currently wearing: Santos by Cartier

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by roro View Post
    Yes, that does sound like it has to be 1998. You asked, "Is it possible that. . . ?" I can't answer that particular question, but in response I would say, "Almost anything is possible." That said, I rather doubt Guerlain used different naming and/or boxes for different regional markets. There is probably some other explanation.
    It's also possible, if you bought your Mitsuko used, that the box you received is not the box that bottle came in orginally. Sellers do things like that all the time, not necessarily with intention to deceive, but for reasons such as they procured an entire estate lot, and they matched up an odd box with an unboxed bottle.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Attachment 110622
    Lauder for Men
    Great acquisition! Are you familiar with it? If not, one spray and let it settle in. The opening (although I love it) can be a bit much for folks around you. Once it dries down, enjoy what every man in a tux should smell like. Uber classy.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Not today but very recent:

But this arrived today:

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Great acquisition! Are you familiar with it? If not, one spray and let it settle in. The opening (although I love it) can be a bit much for folks around you. Once it dries down, enjoy what every man in a tux should smell like. Uber classy.
    I’m only familiar with it by reputation. But I have reasonable confidence.

Now, if only I could fit back into my Slimane-era Dior Homme tux.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Which version did you get? It's a very bold fragrance, but dry down is quite wonderful and restrained. Long lasting as well.
    By which version you mean if it is black or gray boxed or?
    One person's craziness is other person's reality !

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I’m only familiar with it by reputation. But I have reasonable confidence.

Now, if only I could fit back into my Slimane-era Dior Homme tux.
    The Slimane not so slimming?
    oh look, I have a signature

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    My box does have the greendot recycle symbol (more grey-ish than green, but color could be a bit faded) and the bottle a 5 digit batch code starting with VB. According to Raiders of the Lost Scent this would indicate a production date of march 1998 if I read it correctly.
    I also did some further research, and in an article on the Kafkaesque blog on dating vintage Shalimar, he mentions the PdT name concentration was used from around 1986 to 1989/1990. Strange, because with my box having a greendot (which was used from 1992/1993 on?) and the Parum de Toilette naming, this can't be correct? Is is possible that Guerlain maybe used different naming/boxes for different continents? So that they switched from PdT to EdP around 1989/1990 for the US market, but kept de PdT for the European (or vice versa)?
    PDTs were being phased out around that time. Jicky was the last to be converted from PDT to EDP which was early 2000s I believe.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

Freed from BN Institution

Attachment 110622
    Lauder for Men
    Haven't tried this one but I do like the notes breakdown for it. I'd be interested in knowing which of the notes stand out to you.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    The Slimane not so slimming?
    It’s quite slimming, but it’s not magic.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Haven't tried this one but I do like the notes breakdown for it. I'd be interested in knowing which of the notes stand out to you.
    I’m not the greatest at identifying notes, but I’ll be sure to comment on the Lauder when it comes up in rotation.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    It's also possible, if you bought your Mitsuko used, that the box you received is not the box that bottle came in orginally. Sellers do things like that all the time, not necessarily with intention to deceive, but for reasons such as they procured an entire estate lot, and they matched up an odd box with an unboxed bottle.
    On my bottle Parum de Toilette is also written down, so I think the bottle and box do match. It was also from a private seller (not on Ebay) who sold of her old Guerlain bottles. Everything she had on sale (L'Heure Blue, Vol de Nuit, Chamade and this one) where from around the 1998-2001 period, so it's only logical my bottle is indeed from '98. In any case, this is more of a curious/interesting thing as the perfume itself just smells wonderful and I'm very happy with it, and that's what counts like roro already mentioned.

The gold cap is the oldest version, after that green cap and then black cap. Lauder for men is imo a very underrated gem, and my mothers favorite scent...LOL! She went already through 4 bottles, i got her also an vintage green cap but its already empty. I gave her an Boucheron pour homme EDP for the time being.

Basenotes Plus

PDTs were being phased out around that time. Jicky was the last to be converted from PDT to EDP which was early 2000s I believe.
    I hadn't read your comment, but this seems to solve it. Thanks!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nokia 6.1 met Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

I’m not the greatest at identifying notes, but I’ll be sure to comment on the Lauder when it comes up in rotation.
    You should smell green, aldehyde, citrus, manly goodness. After it dries down, it presents kinda squeaky clean. Although not duplication - if you like Lauder for men, it’s reasonable to assume you would like other stuff like Bourcheron or Paradigm by Avon. Although more brash, you’d likely also enjoy Aramis to some degree. Wear Aramis when you’re feeling powerful and sporting a leather jacket, Paradigm as a daily classy driver for business, Bourcheron in your cardigan and spectacles, and Lauder when you’re dressed to the 9’s for a gala featuring Chris Botti. These suggestions work. I’ve done it.

Basenotes Plus

You should smell green, aldehyde, citrus, manly goodness. After it dries down, it presents kinda squeaky clean. Although not duplication - if you like Lauder for men, it’s reasonable to assume you would like other stuff like Boucheron or Paradigm by Avon. Although more brash, you’d likely also enjoy Aramis to some degree. Wear Aramis when you’re feeling powerful and sporting a leather jacket, Paradigm as a daily classy driver for business, Boucheron in your cardigan and spectacles, and Lauder when you’re dressed to the 9’s for a gala featuring Chris Botti.
    I have Boucheron, still awaiting an inaugural trial, and Aramis—which is not my wife's favorite, so better for "stag" events. As for Paradigm, some day ZC may bombard me with Avon samples. But, sure, I can rock Lauder at galas, though it'd be better I could pass on Chris Botti in favor of Wallace Roney.

Now I have to figure out where to wear these:

101419.jpg

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I have Boucheron, still awaiting an inaugural trial, and Aramis—which is not my wife's favorite, so better for "stag" events. As for Paradigm, some day ZC may bombard me with Avon samples. But, sure, I can rock Lauder at galas, though it'd be better I could pass on Chris Botti in favor of Wallace Roney.

101419.jpg
    I love Ténéré as a drier take on the Lapidus Pour Homme style, and Lord Molyneux, which itself is a lot like Aramis 900 mixed with some Joint by Roccobarocco. Paradigm shouldn't be sampled until you've tried Boucheron, as it's a riff on it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I love Ténéré as a drier take on the Lapidus Pour Homme style, and Lord Molyneux, which itself is a lot like Aramis 900 mixed with some Joint by Roccobarocco. Paradigm shouldn't be sampled until you've tried Boucheron, as it's a riff on it.
    Thank you, sir. It's generally best not to rush paradigms. Sorry to say, I didn't care for LPH, but if the Ténéré also doesn't find favor, I imagine I can find it a good home. As the points of reference for Lord M aren't familiar to my nose, I'll take it for whatever it is. And the Rocabar is merely an amuse-nez; the "real purchase" here is the Versace.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Thank you, sir. It's generally best not to rush paradigms. Sorry to say, I didn't care for LPH, but if the Ténéré also doesn't find favor, I imagine I can find it a good home. As the points of reference for Lord M aren't familiar to my nose, I'll take it for whatever it is. And the Rocabar is merely an amuse-nez; the "real purchase" here is the Versace.
    Lord Molyneux is basically a dank mossy musky rose for men. It's very Victorian and a kissing cousin to GFF Uomo.

Basenotes Plus

Older version. 3 more to go (black, paisley and green-stripe 'W' boxes).
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Versace l'Homme by Versace

Basenotes Plus

Default Vintage Fragrances I bought today

101419.jpg
    Ah Chris is ok. He’s just been commercialized to death. The girls/wives seem to be smitten with his style. I grew up listening to the Marsalis boys lighting it up in places like Conservation Hall. Wynton’s horn can chip away all your layers and hit straight to your soul. And they had this weird little white kid that would play piano with them that could really bring it, named Harry Connick Jr. Saw Mr. Roney at the 2008(?) Jazz and Heritage Festival in New Orleans. What I really enjoyed about his sound was that it came at you so smooth even when he played aggressively. Big nice bloom to the sound that hugs you. When he’d hit a staccato run it felt like playful tickles all over your body. Exceptional jazz artist. Jazz is one of the few reasons I’ll actually venture into the city of Nu-Awllens these days.

Basenotes Plus

Ah Chris is ok. He’s just been commercialized to death. The girls/wives seem to be smitten with his style.
    Yes, but not his playing style. (Oh, he plays OK, but he's sort of the Diana Krall of the trumpet.)

Saw Mr. Roney at the 2008(?) Jazz and Heritage Festival in New Orleans. What I really enjoyed about his sound was that it came at you so smooth even when he played aggressively. Big nice bloom to the sound that hugs you. When he’d hit a staccato run it felt like playful tickles all over your body. Exceptional jazz artist. Jazz is one of the few reasons I’ll actually venture into the city of Nu-Awllens these days.
    Saw Wally back in January at Vibrato, Herb Alpert's club here in L.A. Curtis Lundy was masterful on bass, and he had a young pianist name Oscar Williams II who's one of the best players I've heard in ages. Forget "High Colonic Jr."; this kid is approaching Herbie Hancock's league. It was a stellar gig.

Of course, I miss N'awlins something fierce, but it's at least as much for the food as the music. That, and long walks in the Garden District. Gonna have to visit again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Ha! Those guys must've only tried EA formulas (no offense, I had it myself), but can't beat the Sanofi and FFI versions. It's kind of a dark rose, but not potpourri, thankfully. I'm gonna go sharpen my trifork now..
    totally correct, i know some people make fun when you compare current to vintage frags and say there is nothing more than just from old age slim difference..............
    but there is a lot more than just aged juice in the vintage bottles.
    it is been more than a year since a bought any frags, having already way too many.............
    few weeks ago on swapmeet market there were 2 unused bottles bottles of red for men and grey flannel, so i got them 10$ total for both.
    somehow i have never try this fragrances when they come out and first time i try red for men was in ross or tjm one of those department stores around few years back and the cologne was really awful, i got grey flannel from ebay also few years back and almost choke on it.
    this 2 are totally different experience for me now, i can say that vintage grey flannel is one of the best green chypres. and vintage red for men is one of best men colognes i have smelled in a while.
    i think the GF is from around 1996-2000 era, but i am not sure about the red for men, i will appreciate if any one can help with the year of red for men.
    2222IMG_3374.jpg
    222IMG_3375.jpg
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Basenotes Plus

Yes, but not his playing style. (Oh, he plays OK, but he's sort of the Diana Krall of the trumpet.)

Saw Wally back in January at Vibrato, Herb Alpert's club here in L.A. Curtis Lundy was masterful on bass, and he had a young pianist name Oscar Williams II who's one of the best players I've heard in ages. Forget "High Colonic Jr."; this kid is approaching Herbie Hancock's league. It was a stellar gig.

Of course, I miss N'awlins something fierce, but it's at least as much for the food as the music. That, and long walks in the Garden District. Gonna have to visit again soon.
    Herbie Hancock level? Wow, that’s high praise. Colonic was better when the Marsalis bros pushes him. I once saw Eddie Palmieri in Houston at a Latin festival and he did some stuff that made my pea brain pop. And of course, his band had the whole crowd moving. I love Latin jazz though, and that’s a whole other topic. So I’ll stop before I get side tracked tracked on opinions like Ibrahim Ferrer Jr not holding a candle to daddy. Back on track, Oscar Williams is on my short list. Thanks!

Page 180 of 190 FirstFirst ... 80 130 170 178 179 180 181 182 ... LastLast