Code of Conduct
Page 185 of 202 FirstFirst ... 85 135 175 183 184 185 186 187 195 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,550 of 6040
o

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

I have a bottle of YSL M7 original formulation and a bottle of Ungaro 2 on route, M7 should be here today, Ungaro next week.

Need to find a vintage Kouros at a good price, my current bottle is perilously low.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    Been seeing your D'Orsays coming in and I'm curious - which ones do you have yet to get/sample to make a decent survey of this house in your opinion?
    Well, for a truly serious survey, a lot more, many of which I'd likely never find. I've been focusing on scents of particular interest to me from their descriptions and/or ones easily available at a decent price for a blind buy. I think I've got everything I need for a starter sampling, and whether I push onward will depend on how I feel about these. But, I am still considering vintage Chevalier and Milord.

Another consideration is the 1990s reissues. I might start with a reissued Arome 3 to compare to my older bottle.

Are there any I'm missing that you would recommend?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Need to find a vintage Kouros at a good price, my current bottle is perilously low.
    Define "good price."

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Define "good price."
    You have some for sale?

Ideally a vintage 100ml splash bottle for less than $200

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    You have some for sale?

Ideally a vintage 100ml splash bottle for less than $200
    No, I just wanted a frame of reference in case I came across a good deal for you.

No, I just wanted a frame of reference in case I came across a good deal for you.
    I might be being a bit optimistic but you just never know...

Basenotes Plus

C5P.jpg
    For Mrs. S., a vintage, sealed No. 5 Parfum. 14 ml for $20 seemed like a good deal.

All Is Beautiful

super good deal, congratulations! Looks awesome!
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

All Is Beautiful

moschino.jpg

supposedly from the 1990s.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    supposedly from the 1990s.
    "Super good" back at ya. I got one of those, and it's marvelous.

All Is Beautiful

"Super good" back at ya. I got one of those, and it's marvelous.
    Thank you!

Basenotes Plus

BA.jpg
    Although there will likely always be more things I want, my list of "must-haves" is dwindling. Here's a classic I had to check off.

Basenotes Plus

BA.jpg
    Although there will likely always be more things I want, my list of "must-haves" is dwindling. Here's a classic I had to check off.
    Top of heap choice!
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Tabac Blond by Caron

Freed from BN Institution

C5P.jpg
    For Mrs. S., a vintage, sealed No. 5 Parfum. 14 ml for $20 seemed like a good deal.
    A very nice pickup. I was resampling this recently for a comparison purposes between it, No 22, and No 46. All three are good in their own right.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

BA.jpg

One of the best from Herme's classic offerings. If I were to consider any kind Hermes purchase today, this probably would be the only one that would make the cut. Had dismal luck with Hermes overall.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    Top of heap choice!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    One of the best from Herme's classic offerings. If I were to consider any kind Hermes purchase today, this probably would be the only one that would make the cut. Had dismal luck with Hermes overall.
    I'm sorry to hear that. I've done better, with vintages (Eau d'Hermès, Équipage) and some recent frags (Terre d'Hermès, my old "dumb reach"; some of the Hermèssence line). And Mrs S. swears by Rouge and Calèche.

I'm not looking to plow through the rest of the product line, but I've never felt it was low quality. It's just not always in sync with my aesthetic, which I expect from a designer line with 80-odd frags, past and present. Still, I haven't been at this as long as you; my expectations and standards are different.

Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear that. I've done better, with vintages (Eau d'Hermès, Équipage) and some recent frags (Terre d'Hermès, my old "dumb reach"; some of the Hermèssence line). And Mrs S. swears by Rouge and Calèche.

I'm not looking to plow through the rest of the product line, but I've never felt it was low quality. It's just not always in sync with my aesthetic, which I expect from a designer line with 80-odd frags, past and present. Still, I haven't been at this as long as you; my expectations and standards are different.
    Eau d'Hermes was a itchy scrubber for me. Equipage I couldn't get past the opening so it was ultimately a no go. Terre d'Hermes I never felt inclined to reaching - always chose something else over it so that went. The Hermessence line was very linear and uninspiring. I did own Vetiver Tonka and Ambre Narguille at one point but ended up swapping them.

I just can't be saved/helped - just not a fan of Hermes.

Basenotes Plus

I just can't be saved/helped - just not a fan of Hermes.
    No reason you should need to be. I have grave doubts I'll find more than a few Guerlains I like: Vetiver for sure, Derby extremely likely, the rest—I imagine there's something, but after my try at Habit Rouge, there's no love lost between me and Guerlainade. I'd still try them, but not as blind buys. (Well, maybe Coriolan, because it flopped and I root for underdogs.)

No reason you should need to be. I have grave doubts I'll find more than a few Guerlains I like: Vetiver for sure, Derby extremely likely, the rest—I imagine there's something, but after my try at Habit Rouge, there's no love lost between me and Guerlainade. I'd still try them, but not as blind buys. (Well, maybe Coriolan, because it flopped and I root for underdogs.)
    Give some of the feminine Guerlain's a go, it's definitely worth the learning experience IMO. Stuff like Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, Jicky, Samsara, L'Heure Bleue, Shalimar, Vega, Sous Le Vent are all great to try particularly if you can get them in vintage formulations in the higher concentration. I was mind blown by the experience overall.

As for the masculines, Habit Rouge EDT was a flop, even though I enjoy the EDC it's not enough to justify purchasing it. Heritage is fairly good although I'm not inclined to wanting to invest in several backup bottles worth at this point, my Chanels serve in that role! Derby seems the most likely although the price that it's going for is absurd. As for LIDGE I despise it with a passion. Vetiver may have a shot although Chanel Sycomore EDT I enjoy slightly more.

Basenotes Plus

Give some of the feminine Guerlain's a go, it's definitely worth the learning experience IMO. Stuff like Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, Jicky, Samsara, L'Heure Bleue, Shalimar, Vega, Sous Le Vent are all great to try particularly if you can get them in vintage formulations in the higher concentration. I was mind blown by the experience overall.
    Oh, I would absolutely do that—but, it would have to be off decants. I don't think I could invest in vintage Guerlain the way I have in Crown (which I adore) or d'Orsay (which has been cheap thus far).

Well, for a truly serious survey, a lot more, many of which I'd likely never find. I've been focusing on scents of particular interest to me from their descriptions and/or ones easily available at a decent price for a blind buy. I think I've got everything I need for a starter sampling, and whether I push onward will depend on how I feel about these. But, I am still considering vintage Chevalier and Milord.

Another consideration is the 1990s reissues. I might start with a reissued Arome 3 to compare to my older bottle.

Are there any I'm missing that you would recommend?
    Sorry, don't really have recommendations, just curious. Looked here on BN at masculines other than the ones you mentioned or you already have and saw Le Nomade, but not a lot of high praise there - might be some are testing vintage vs. non, but overall no one saying it was a must have. I have some feminines I am still evaluating. Hope you add your thoughts on the ones you are trying to the D'Orsay Thread - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/469...fumes-Assessed
    ”I want all the perfumes”

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    That's a beautiful set. Looks pristine. I like how your pic background mimics the box pattern.
    ”I want all the perfumes”

Basenotes Plus

That's a beautiful set. Looks pristine. I like how your pic background mimics the box pattern.
    Many thanks

Fortunate enough to get it sealed / mint and for a very reasonable outlay

BA.jpg
    Saw this and am getting reminded of AC/DC - "She told me to come but I was ------”...

GREAT buy! The best leather in my books, regardless of what the (respectable) camel will soon say...
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Saw this and am getting reminded of AC/DC - "She told me to come but I was ------”...

GREAT buy! The best leather in my books, regardless of what the (respectable) camel will soon say...
    No Sir Badarun you are mistaken. Camel and you belong to the same cult - the wrong one.
    The best leather is Moschino PH. Anyone who disagrees is wrong
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Genny (original) by Genny

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    No Sir Badarun you are mistaken. Camel and you belong to the same cult - the wrong one.
    Oops...Shows I've been an insincere basenoter
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

BA.jpg
    Well done!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Sorry, don't really have recommendations, just curious. Looked here on BN at masculines other than the ones you mentioned or you already have and saw Le Nomade, but not a lot of high praise there - might be some are testing vintage vs. non, but overall no one saying it was a must have. I have some feminines I am still evaluating. Hope you add your thoughts on the ones you are trying to the D'Orsay Thread - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/469...fumes-Assessed
    I am curious about vintage Nomade, which is a later scent than the others, but the only bottles I've seen are either very costly or an unfortunate color. (It should be pale green, not mud brown.) I actually bought a mini, and then the seller cancelled because they couldn't find it. I'll find one eventually—or, if not, no great loss.

In any case, once I begin testing, I will absolutely post to the thread—thanks for the link!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post

Is "already there" a verboten phrase? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Fortunately, I will now have both. I don't have just one great leather jacket, either.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Well done!
    Thank you, sir!

Page 185 of 202 FirstFirst ... 85 135 175 183 184 185 186 187 195 ... LastLast