Code of Conduct
Page 190 of 197 FirstFirst ... 90 140 180 188 189 190 191 192 ... LastLast
Results 5,671 to 5,700 of 5898
o
    The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

I have some first formula Quorum coming in to replace my diminishing 2002-2010 bottle (which has tree and oak moss blend), in the old fatter 4.2oz/125ml bottles that had either PUIG or ANTONIO PUIG at the bottom without listing ml/oz below aka the original 1980's run. In the mid 90's the 3.4/100ml bottles came into use (around the time Sybaris was axed after a short run).

Since this is the "grail" version of Quorom (vis a vis Warner Polo or Charles of the Ritz YSL Kouros), I want to see if full narcotics-grade oakmoss in the base is gonna give me the same kind of midlife crisis high it seems to be giving my early Gen-Xer friends on these boards who own it, as apposed to my mid-vintage stuff (which is very good) and the current treemoss-only stuff (not so good).

I normally don't go "deep" but these were a steal and I needed a re-up anyway, so it was a marriage of convenience. Will post pics comparing all 3 bottle variants, and my thoughts once it arrives.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Voyageur by Jean Patou

Basenotes Plus

Default Vintage Fragrances I bought today

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I have some first formula Quorum coming in to replace my diminishing 2002-2010 bottle (which has tree and oak moss blend), in the old fatter 4.2oz/125ml bottles that had either PUIG or ANTONIO PUIG at the bottom without listing ml/oz below aka the original 1980's run. In the mid 90's the 3.4/100ml bottles came into use (around the time Sybaris was axed after a short run).

Since this is the "grail" version of Quorom (vis a vis Warner Polo or Charles of the Ritz YSL Kouros), I want to see if full narcotics-grade oakmoss in the base is gonna give me the same kind of midlife crisis high it seems to be giving my early Gen-Xer friends on these boards who own it, as apposed to my mid-vintage stuff (which is very good) and the current treemoss-only stuff (not so good).

I normally don't go "deep" but these were a steal and I needed a re-up anyway, so it was a marriage of convenience. Will post pics comparing all 3 bottle variants, and my thoughts once it arrives.
    Great! I have an '80s 125ml 'PUIG' tester bottle, and although it smells raunchy manly, I was disappointed since it ain't the oakmoss-bomb it's raved to be.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Versace l'Homme by Versace

1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    I have this 2 will be interesting to know what versions they are, the 125 ml. Have a screw top.
    Your tester is 2nd version. The 50ml I'm not sure, but the thick spray-tube suggests older mid-vintage no later than 3rd version. Pictured is my screw-top tester, also 125ml. So combined we have first three versions. Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Your tester is 2nd version. The 50ml I'm not sure, but the thick spray-tube suggests older mid-vintage no later than 3rd version. Pictured is my screw-top tester, also 125ml. So combined we have first three versions. Great stuff!
    Nice, thank you.
    They both smell the same to my nose even the juice in the 125 ml. Bottle is darker.
    Oh by the way I smelled last year the one without the Puig name and will never wear anything like it even Quorum is one of my favorites.
    It was obviously 100% synthetic with the quorum dna way in the back.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    Nice, thank you.
    They both smell the same to my nose even the juice in the 125 ml. Bottle is darker.
    Oh by the way I smelled last year the one without the Puig name and will never wear anything like it even Quorum is one of my favorites.
    It was obviously 100% synthetic with the quorum dna way in the back.
    The bottles that are 4.2oz with the collar around the sprayer are 1st and 2nd editions, but are really all the same formula/bottling run because the only change between them is switching out "PUIG" for "Antonio Puig" at the bottom of the bottle (probably because Puig became the name for the entire company and they wanted to distinguish from "Puig" the fragrance line).

So for me, I combine 1st and 2nd editions into one and call it "First version" because the juice is the same, sort of like how Chanel from from screen-printed bottles to labels then back to screenprint in the 80's, for no reason besides appearance.

3rd Edition/Second version of the juice has the 100ml bottle as the max size, and the gold sprayer with no collar around the crimp. Under "Antonio Puig" is the listing of bottle size and contents (100ml/3/4 flz oz) This is the first reform of the juice and was done for economy since Antonio Puig was going downmarket after Puig began buying up designers to compete with LVMH, Coty Prestige, Bogart Group, etc. Still smells good though, just a bit sharper and greener than first.

3rd Edition/Third version of the juice post-2002 (first IFRA restriction on atranol) introduced the oakmoss/treemoss hybrid base and is the version I'm nursing, bought when new in 2003. Bottle looks the same as the older 100ml but the box has long ingredients list showing evernia prunastri/evernia furfurnacea on back. Aka "the last good version" and produced through until 2010. This is very sharp and more leathery, gets compared to Antaeus a lot,

4th Edition/Forth version of juice uses the bottle from the 3rd Edition, but removes Antonio Puig from the bottle because Puig retired the name as a house/label unto itself since it has no cachet anymore with buyers (newer bottles of Agua Brava will also be missing this labeling on the bottle too). This version has a cheaper plastic sprayer with a clear brown button but be aware it also is a very powerful sprayer that gives out a lot of juice. Only treemoss remains and the smell is much soapier, cleaner, devoid of any leather, and smells more like a fougere, Not bad, but IMO not Quorom. Could have been marketed as a flanker tbh.

Basenotes Plus

11-17-19.jpg

You guys chattering about Oleg Cassini got me going.

Basenotes Plus

Basenotes Plus

The bottles that are 4.2oz with the collar around the sprayer are 1st and 2nd editions, but are really all the same formula/bottling run because the only change between them is switching out "PUIG" for "Antonio Puig" at the bottom of the bottle (probably because Puig became the name for the entire company and they wanted to distinguish from "Puig" the fragrance line).

So for me, I combine 1st and 2nd editions into one and call it "First version" because the juice is the same, sort of like how Chanel from from screen-printed bottles to labels then back to screenprint in the 80's, for no reason besides appearance.

3rd Edition/Second version of the juice has the 100ml bottle as the max size, and the gold sprayer with no collar around the crimp. Under "Antonio Puig" is the listing of bottle size and contents (100ml/3/4 flz oz) This is the first reform of the juice and was done for economy since Antonio Puig was going downmarket after Puig began buying up designers to compete with LVMH, Coty Prestige, Bogart Group, etc. Still smells good though, just a bit sharper and greener than first.

3rd Edition/Third version of the juice post-2002 (first IFRA restriction on atranol) introduced the oakmoss/treemoss hybrid base and is the version I'm nursing, bought when new in 2003. Bottle looks the same as the older 100ml but the box has long ingredients list showing evernia prunastri/evernia furfurnacea on back. Aka "the last good version" and produced through until 2010. This is very sharp and more leathery, gets compared to Antaeus a lot,

4th Edition/Forth version of juice uses the bottle from the 3rd Edition, but removes Antonio Puig from the bottle because Puig retired the name as a house/label unto itself since it has no cachet anymore with buyers (newer bottles of Agua Brava will also be missing this labeling on the bottle too). This version has a cheaper plastic sprayer with a clear brown button but be aware it also is a very powerful sprayer that gives out a lot of juice. Only treemoss remains and the smell is much soapier, cleaner, devoid of any leather, and smells more like a fougere, Not bad, but IMO not Quorom. Could have been marketed as a flanker tbh.
    Great info, ZC, thanks! A thing I've never understood is, why the changing of box-layouts? I mean, which Quorum-box looks best/coolest - 1st version or current? Same with Givenchy Gentleman and, certainly not forgetting, Kouros. Original layouts were SO beautiful. Today they look like cheezy knock-offs.
    Sorry, this was a de-tour. I just think a lot about stuff like that... I think I'll start a thread on this subject.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Great info, ZC, thanks! A thing I've never understood is, why the changing of box-layouts? I mean, which Quorum-box looks best/coolest - 1st version or current? Same with Givenchy Gentleman and, certainly not forgetting, Kouros. Original layouts were SO beautiful. Today they look like cheezy knock-offs.
    Sorry, this was a de-tour. I just think a lot about stuff like that... I think I'll start a thread on this subject.
    It's either thin margin + high volume sales or high margin + low volume of sales. As volume of sales slow down, they cheapen packaging and reformulate to increase margin (at least the big guys do) so they make the same money on less product. Niche perfume avoids this by having insane markups for Veblen value or prestige/status so they don't have to worry about volume when their bottles are $500 a piece.

Always be smelling

Andre's blog made me do it.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Andre's blog made me do it.
    What a Ferré-ly odd one.

Finally pulled the trigger on a 2nd edition Paco Rabonne Pour Homme complete in its box. First smelled PRPH (2nd edition) in a decant from eBay about a year ago, been wanting a full bottle ever since. Nice oakmoss you don't get nowadays!

Basenotes Plus

Anyone besides me thinking that it's almost time for a Paco Rabanne Pour Homme subforum in the Vintage Forum?

Just sayin'....

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Anyone besides me thinking that it's almost time for a Paco Rabanne Pour Homme subforum in the Vintage Forum?

Just sayin'....
    If you combine the worshipful devotees of every prominent vintage masculine fragrance with a long list of reformulations together into one subforum (Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, YSL Kouros, Azzaro Pour Homme, etc), you still wouldn't even scratch the surface of the sheer obsession for Creed Aventus men in this community seem to have.

It's like trying to compare the quantity of Kirk & Spock fanfiction to literally every other type of fan fiction out there. You just can't. XD

Basenotes Plus

Just sayin'....
    I’m with ZC re: Aventus, but if we’re going to sequester a separate group of dude-frag fanatics, I think Azzaro PH nuts would come before PRPH devotees. And then there are the GIT worshippers.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I’m with ZC re: Aventus, but if we’re going to sequester a separate group of dude-frag fanatics, I think Azzaro PH nuts would come before PRPH devotees. And then there are the GIT worshippers.
    I bow before the altar of Avon anyway, and read the Holy Catalog nightly before I sleep, where I dream of wearing Black Suede on my Windjammer, Tai Winds in my sails, on my way to the Wild Country for some succulent Island Lime. Blessed be.

Basenotes Plus

11-17-19.jpg

You guys chattering about Oleg Cassini got me going.
    Nice! Deep-Vtg OCFM has an oily viscosity and loaded with earthy patchouly and honey, is what I've heard. Yum-yum!

Quote Originally Posted by mustardsalad View Post
    Finally pulled the trigger on a 2nd edition Paco Rabonne Pour Homme complete in its box. First smelled PRPH (2nd edition) in a decant from eBay about a year ago, been wanting a full bottle ever since. Nice oakmoss you don't get nowadays!
    Amen to that!

Just sayin'....
    +1

I bow before the altar of Avon anyway, and read the Holy Catalog nightly before I sleep, where I dream of wearing Black Suede on my Windjammer, Tai Winds in my sails, on my way to the Wild Country for some succulent Island Lime. Blessed be.
    Beautiful, man. I'm in for a vtg Avon support group

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Just sayin'....
    Paco Rabanne Pour Homme is having a good month. You'd mentioned Polo fever sweeping the vintage forum before, and I'd seen it before that with Givenchy Gentleman.

I'd love to see stats on the old vintage SOTD thread, but so many entries are just a photo - it seems like too much work.

Basenotes Plus

I think Azzaro PH nuts would come before PRPH devotees.
    Really? As prevalent as Azzaro is, it seems to me heavily outnumbered by PRPH in the Vintage SOTD posts and queries.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    You'd mentioned Polo fever sweeping the vintage forum before
    Did I do that out loud? I thought that was just in my head.

I'd love to see stats on the old vintage SOTD thread, but so many entries are just a photo - it seems like too much work.
    I had the exact same thought. Was wondering about writing a script to count the Polo entries in the thread, but then realized how many were just photos.

Always be smelling

Just sayin'....
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    (haters gonna hate)
    Haha! Not a hater -- in fact I love to smell PRPH on a man. It just gets repetitive in the forum.

I suppose I should be grateful that it's not something that I actually do hate.

Basenotes Plus

Fahrenheit de Parfum, which I'll call vintage...

and Givenchy Gentleman vintage...it is a 60mL bottle, without box, and I think it is probably rather old as that is an odd size.

givenchy gentleman .jpg
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Fahrenheit de Parfum, which I'll call vintage...

and Givenchy Gentleman vintage...it is a 60mL bottle, without box, and I think it is probably rather old as that is an odd size.

givenchy gentleman .jpg
    That looks like first edition to me. Two ounces of the so-called "grail."

Basenotes Plus

That looks like first edition to me. Two ounces of the so-called "grail."
    thank you! The odd size to me was a tipoff. I remember on Andre's Raiders website reading how early releases often were odd mL sizes because they were even "ounce" sizes and this was what I went on. I didn't overpay for it and hopefully those great top notes are intact.

thank you! The odd size to me was a tipoff. I remember on Andre's Raiders website reading how early releases often were odd mL sizes because they were even "ounce" sizes and this was what I went on. I didn't overpay for it and hopefully those great top notes are intact.
    I don't think of 60 ml as an odd size. It does show up more in vintage, though, I suppose. Is it coming back, though? Who all uses it now - I'm half guessing: Rogue, Polo, YSL?

Basenotes Plus

I don't think of 60 ml as an odd size. It does show up more in vintage, though, I suppose. Is it coming back, though? Who all uses it now - I'm half guessing: Rogue, Polo, YSL?
    I don't see it much. 30mL, 50mL of course. 75mL and 100mL. Who knows, it's a good size. I can't say I recall seeing 60 mL that often.

There was a post about Paris France appearing on Givenchy bottles of a certain age too...?

From Tradition, I believe, correct, yes. And it seems to check out: first edition has "France" printed on the bottle.

I can tell the second version is different, but I think it's just as good. I could convince myself either version is better. The second version is an early use of synthetics to change the rate of development (based on my comparisons).

The intent seems clear that they were trying to make it better. Arguably, at times, some fixative-smell is noticeable. The first version smells woody when compared side-by-side with the second version.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

I've had an uncontrollable hankering to try really old YSL Opium. Went for what seems to be a early-mid 80s 36ml EdT spray. Pre-Parfum Corps. (?) with the built in sprayer. These are still reasonably priced thankfully.

I can't say I recall seeing 60 mL that often.
    It's been used loads by designers. Plug in any of the following houses next to "60ml" on eBay and see what I mean:

Chanel
    Guerlain
    Givenchy
    Gucci
    Balenciaga
    Dior
    Hermes
    YSL
    etc.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of others. Gucci, Dior, and YSL still use it, but I do think it showed up more in older stuff like Bavard mentioned. At any rate, nice score on the GG.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    I've had an uncontrollable hankering to try really old YSL Opium. Went for what seems to be a early-mid 80s 36ml EdT spray. Pre-Parfum Corps. (?) with the built in sprayer. These are still reasonably priced thankfully.

It's been used loads by designers. Plug in any of the following houses next to "60ml" on eBay and see what I mean:

Chanel
    Guerlain
    Givenchy
    Gucci
    Balenciaga
    Dior
    Hermes
    YSL
    etc.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of others. Gucci, Dior, and YSL still use it, but I do think it showed up more in older stuff like Bavard mentioned. At any rate, nice score on the GG.
    Thank you!

Are you looking for the original Opium or Pour Homme? The Opium PH notes look awesome to me.

Page 190 of 197 FirstFirst ... 90 140 180 188 189 190 191 192 ... LastLast