Code of Conduct
Page 193 of 202 FirstFirst ... 93 143 183 191 192 193 194 195 ... LastLast
Results 5,761 to 5,790 of 6042
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I didn't see if anyone answered - the best short answer might be yes, because although your version is a cologne, I don't know that it changed when they started calling it an edt.

You're finding it strong, I gather? I do, and go a little lighter with it than almost anything else I have.
    I am traveling and haven’t yet gotten back to try it. Thank you for responding. Seems like the use of Cologne word meaning perfume for men rather than weaker strength. I’ll confirm when I spray it.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
    Like, I expect, many of you, I've been a passive reader of Basenotes for quite a while. I got into collecting vintage perfumes fairly recently and (at least partly) with the aim of putting a check on my perfume buys. As fellow perfumists would probably have guessed - that didn't work out too well.
    I got my hands on what I consider some interesting pieces and since none of my friends and acquaintances seem to show much more than a passing interest in the whole matter of vintage perfumery, I decided to post a picture of them here, where my enthusiasm might be shared. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting several vintages in one pic. (Having looked at the pictures posted on this thread, I feel that apologies might be in order for its bad quality.)

Attachment 113726

Here is what you're seeing from left to right.
    - Eau Sauvage 224ml splash - my first buy a little more than a year ago and still my pride and joy
    - Diorella 112ml splash - 1991 according to the batch code
    - Alliage 90g - great stuff, smells vaguely similar to my miniature of Ocean Rain
    - Acqua di Parma 85ml splash - quite sure it's pre 2000s
    - Chanel Pour Monsieur 100ml - 00's probably, the sliver stuff is part of the lid, not of the bottle as in the newer version
    . Paco Rabanne Pour Monsieur 60 ml splash
    . Lagerfeld Cologne 250ml splash - quite definitely pre-2000s and the most aggressive cologne I own with a biting chemical/aldehydic note that stays on fabric for days
    . Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men 50ml (next to an aftershave lotion)
    . Givenchy Gentleman 60ml splash

The most recent additions (both three days ago) were Diorella (which regrettably is only about half full but still smells great) and Acqua di Parma (which seems to be something of a rare beast).
    Beautiful collection and no apologies needed. Your picture is great.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Was it Eirik, by any chance?
    Nope. Geir.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

I don't know much about the production history of Pour Monsieur, I'm afraid. On account of the colour of the juice and the chrome part being on the lid, i just assumed it had to be older than the 2014-version that I own.
    Pour Monsieur and Givenchy Gentleman are very high on my list of favourites too. I bought Giorgio BH for Men because it was often linked with Givenchy Gentlemen and it bugged me that I only had around 60 ml. Giorgio wasn't a disappointment, but to me GG smells more sophisticated, even though the pachouli-note is more pronounced, and I'm not really a fan of patchouli. As for Pour Monsieur, my relationship with that one is mixed, since a colleague of mine who by chance smelled it on me, told me I smelled like an old prostitute.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Just got a 125ml grey-sprayer EdT of Montana Parfum D'Homme for a song. Looked for every tell-tale signs of orig.vintage. Thanks, ZC!
    This is the good stuff, yes?Attachment 113634
    Perfect.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Leather by Avon

Basenotes Plus

You've made a terrific start on a great vintage collection! I'm so happy to see Diorella in there, I always love smelling that on men.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    You've made a terrific start on a great vintage collection! I'm so happy to see Diorella in there, I always love smelling that on man.
    You think he's not done?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    You think he's not done?
    Oh no, definitely not. I should have added "welcome to the rabbithole".

Sadly, I won't be wearing Diorella myself. As with quite a few of my other fragrances, I just enjoy smelling them. I liked the top and the heart, but they're too flowery for me. What surprised me the most was the base, which is a strong and lasting powder, that really doesn't suit me.

@bavard: I agree, Pour Monsieur and Givenchy Monsieur are very high on my list too. I'm not sure how to date the Pour Monsieur and don't know anything about the production history. Judging from the bottle from 2015 which I also own, and which has the chrome part attached to the bottle and, as you've remarked, a differently coloured juice, I guessed 00's.

@thrilledchilled: Thanks a lot. btw I really subscribe to your signature. Not just because of health issues but also because some scents, especially the more compicated ones, tend to disintegrate and turn weird on me - like Habit Rouge, which I like on fabric, but which turns into an aromachemical mess with hints of incense on my skin.

Alex F - great buys, particularly on the Eau Sauvage!!! Enjoy...
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Always be smelling

Welcome to vintage rabbit hole Alex F. You have a great collection
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Freed from BN Institution

Like, I expect, many of you, I've been a passive reader of Basenotes for quite a while. I got into collecting vintage perfumes fairly recently and (at least partly) with the aim of putting a check on my perfume buys. As fellow perfumists would probably have guessed - that didn't work out too well.
    I got my hands on what I consider some interesting pieces and since none of my friends and acquaintances seem to show much more than a passing interest in the whole matter of vintage perfumery, I decided to post a picture of them here, where my enthusiasm might be shared. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting several vintages in one pic. (Having looked at the pictures posted on this thread, I feel that apologies might be in order for its bad quality.)

Attachment 113726

- Eau Sauvage 224ml splash - my first buy a little more than a year ago and still my pride and joy
    - Alliage 90g - great stuff, smells vaguely similar to my miniature of Ocean Rain
    - Chanel Pour Monsieur 100ml - 00's probably, the sliver stuff is part of the lid, not of the bottle as in the newer version
    . Lagerfeld Cologne 250ml splash - quite definitely pre-2000s and the most aggressive cologne I own with a biting chemical/aldehydic note that stays on fabric for days

The most recent additions (both three days ago) were Diorella (which regrettably is only about half full but still smells great) and Acqua di Parma (which seems to be something of a rare beast).
    That's a great collection so far, hope you continue to build this collection.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

Oh no, definitely not. I should have added "welcome to the rabbithole".
    He might follow in the footsteps of P.Stoller.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    He might follow in the footsteps of P. Stoller.
    Don’t wish that on the lad. You want him to have hope.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Attachment 113726

Welcome Alex. Very nice perfumes indeed you have there.
    Enjoy them in good health.

Sound Scents

Attachment 113726

Welcome to the forum, Alex. I have never tried Alliage (though if in the realm of Ocean Rain I am sure it smells great), but know all the rest well and congratulate you on some exceptional choices. All of them are terrific.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    2) Giorgio V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    4) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    5)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    7) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    7) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    7) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    Currently wearing: Thé Noir 29 by Le Labo

Thanks for all the kind words. I tried to post replies, but tree of them weren't accepted for some reason, so I'll try one more time here, all in one.
    thrilledchilled - I really subscribe to your signature. I hardly ever wear perfume on my skin anymore. Partly for health reasons, but partly also because some fragrances, particularly the more complex ones tend to disintegrate unfavourably on my skin

Bavard - Pour Monsieur and Givenchy Gentleman are very high on my list too. I don't know how to date my Pour Monsieur. There's no batch code on it, but judging from the colour of the juice (as you also remarked) and the make of the bottle which differ from the 2015-version I also own, I guessed 00's.
    I bought Giorgio For Men because it was often compared with Givenchy Gentleman. I wasn't disappointed by the fragrance itself and can't understand the negative reviews I've read, but to me it pales in comparison with Givenchy Gentleman.

Cook.bot and Bavard - I don't think I'm done yet. epapsiou - I really feel like having gone down the rabbit hole. There are quite a few more vintages out there that I'd really like to try. And I've lost interest in most current scents.

badarun - The Eau Sauvage is my favourite. It was sealed and I got it at a very reasonable price.

drseid - When I bought and tested Alliage, it immediately smelled familiar. I couldn't place it at first, but at home I remembered my Ocean Rain miniature and put both side by side on a strip of paper. (Ocean Rain is great by the way. It's probably the only scent I have, which actually smells like its name. Applied with caution it smells like a fresh, cool rain among flowers. Too much, and the uninous aspect of the flowers takes over.) Alliage is more herbal and green, but there is a definite similarity. (I didn't really know what to expect of a perfume smelling "green" when I read the reviews, but now that I've smelled it, green actually sums it up. It's like cutting into plant stalks in a garden.)

Basenotes Plus

(Ocean Rain is great by the way. It's probably the only scent I have, which actually smells like its name. Applied with caution it smells like a fresh, cool rain among flowers. Too much, and the uninous aspect of the flowers takes over.)
    Very cool. Ocean Rain is a real outlier for Roudnitska, and it doesn't have nearly enough fans around here.

And I've lost interest in most current scents.
    To quote ZC: dun-dun-DUN.

Always be smelling

This month. Birthday etc.IMG_20191201_120413.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    That's a mighty splurge.

Basenotes Plus

Gorgeous haul. Congratulations
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Plus

This month. Birthday etc.
    I can't make out the name on that Patou on the far right. What is that?

Basenotes Plus

Moment Suprême.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Hope ya really enjoy that Sud Est! I love it!
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Leather by Avon

epapsiou, congrats on your haul. I've been meaning to get my hands on a Derby too.

I wasn't expecting to buy more vintages for a while, but I couldn't pass up these when I saw them today, even though I haven't heard much about them. According to old avertisements, the cologne came out first in 1969, followed by the eau de toilette and an extra strength and a concentrée version.
    20191202.jpg

My EdC and EdT came sealed. No bar code, no quantity on the EdT. On the EdC it says "at least 120ml". I've never hesitated opening an old bottle before but for some reason I do this time.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Hope ya really enjoy that Sud Est! I love it!
    Unfortunately not for me. Reminds me of Aramis New West. Do not like Calone+bay spices

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Moment Suprême.
    I may have more moment supreme than I will ever need

Dependent

IMG_5565.jpg
    IMG_5569.jpg

I already own a bottle of Kouros Fraicheur but couldn't resist to purchase this kit just to get an additional bottle (I don't care about the deodorant and the shower gel). The box came sealed.

Unfortunately not for me. Reminds me of Aramis New West. Do not like Calone+bay spices
    I too own this one but never got to like it. It is on my sell list at the moment..

Page 193 of 202 FirstFirst ... 93 143 183 191 192 193 194 195 ... LastLast