Bravo brother!!
    Merci brother !
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

oh, where did you find this?

Quote Originally Posted by Avecesar View Post
    Attachment 113875
    Attachment 113876

I already own a bottle of Kouros Fraicheur but couldn't resist to purchase this kit just to get an additional bottle (I don't care about the deodorant and the shower gel). The box came sealed.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Attachment 113875
    Attachment 113876

I already own a bottle of Kouros Fraicheur but couldn't resist to purchase this kit just to get an additional bottle (I don't care about the deodorant and the shower gel). The box came sealed.
    Well done! Love this fragrance.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Unfortunately not for me. Reminds me of Aramis New West. Do not like Calone+bay spices
    I tried to make that pretty evident in my review of it. Somebody else will probably appreciate it I'm sure!
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Basenotes Plus

I may have more moment supreme than I will ever need
    More like Lifetime Suprême.

Got a 6.7oz tester bottle of CK One from 1996 for $12 shipped!
    Serious flashbacks to middleschool, holy.

aor3P6r.jpg
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Freed from BN Institution

Attachment 113875
    Attachment 113876

A very nice pickup. I still need to try Fraicheur. The original isn't for me so perhaps the flanker might work instead.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by zr0e View Post
    oh, where did you find this?
    I purchased it on Vinted for 45€.

Basenotes Plus

Unfortunately not for me. Reminds me of Aramis New West. Do not like Calone+bay spices
    Gosh, that's not how Sud Est strikes me at all. I think it feels like a true garrigue scent, like a parched Mediterranean herb garden, nice and bitter/green. The calone is just a tiny brief blip in the opening on me.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    A very nice pickup. I still need to try Fraicheur. The original isn't for me so perhaps the flanker might work instead.
    Try it, it's beautiful ! It has the Kouros DNA with animalic side toned down.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Gosh, that's not how Sud Est strikes me at all. I think it feels like a true garrigue scent, like a parched Mediterranean herb garden, nice and bitter/green. The calone is just a tiny brief blip in the opening on me.
    Calone 1951 (melon note) is basically one of those knee-jerk synthetic notes among vintage enthusiasts that automatically flunks a fragrance for some people regardless of how little or how much is detected because like dihydromyrcenol (aquatic note), it was pretty alien at the time and then has the stigma of being overused annoyingly as a gimmick in every new release for a decade until another fashionable note came along. Even though I like it, I don't blame people who still have this aversion to it, as it's really no different to the aversion folks have to today's overused norlimbanol and ambroxan one-two knockout punch. I feel this way about laundry musks myself (galaxolide in most cases) and don't like being reminded of the bottle of Tide I use to wash clothes when I sniff a perfume. ;p

The irony is calone 1951 was developed around the same time as hedione (50's), but unlike hedione, wasn't really implemented in perfumes until the 80's, even though Edmond Roudnitska tried to feature it in a perfume he pushed to Dior then Guy Laroche as the original idea for Fidji unsuccessfully as far back as the 60's (what ended up being Le Parfum de Therese).

The funny thing is had calone been used in a groundbreaking way in the 60's like hedione was in Eau Sauvage, or if Roudnitska managed to bring Le Parfum de Therese to market as Guy Laroche Fidji, it would have slowly crept into perfumes throughout the 70's and 80's as hedione did and may not have had such a shocking and traumatic effect of suddenly being everywhere in the 90's.

Food for thought.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Attachment 113904

Bogart One Man Show (1980)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Calone 1951 (melon note) is basically one of those knee-jerk synthetic notes among vintage enthusiasts that automatically flunks a fragrance for some people regardless of how little or how much is detected because like dihydromyrcenol (aquatic note), it was pretty alien at the time and then has the stigma of being overused annoyingly as a gimmick in every new release for a decade until another fashionable note came along. Even though I like it, I don't blame people who still have this aversion to it, as it's really no different to the aversion folks have to today's overused norlimbanol and ambroxan one-two knockout punch. I feel this way about laundry musks myself (galaxolide in most cases) and don't like being reminded of the bottle of Tide I use to wash clothes when I sniff a perfume. ;p
    I just don’t like being reminded of melon. Actual fresh melon smells fine when I’m eating it, but as a fragrance note I find it cloying. Hence, smaller amounts bother me than of other overused aromachemicals. It’s not due to the timing of its arrival because I wasn’t into frags at the time. My interest in vintage is almost wholly retroactive, though I can’t entirely rule out some vague environmental influence.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    The funny thing is had calone been used in a groundbreaking way in the 60's like hedione was in Eau Sauvage, or if Roudnitska managed to bring Le Parfum de Therese to market as Guy Laroche Fidji, it would have slowly crept into perfumes throughout the 70's and 80's as hedione did and may not have had such a shocking and traumatic effect of suddenly being everywhere in the 90's.

Food for thought.
    Yeah, interesting to contemplate. Every time I wear Fidji (which I do, 'cause I like it), I try to imagine what it would have been like if it had remained in Roudnitska's hands. I'm pretty sure he would have overripened that melon and removed some of its tropical undertones.

I hadn't heard before that he tweaked that formula into Therese. Do you remember where you learned that?

Basenotes Plus

::::

Deleted
    Last edited by cologne connoisseur; 3rd December 2019 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Wrong thread

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I just don’t like being reminded of melon. Actual fresh melon smells fine when I’m eating it, but as a fragrance note I find it cloying. Hence, smaller amounts bother me than of other overused aromachemicals. It’s not due to the timing of its arrival because I wasn’t into frags at the time. My interest in vintage is almost wholly retroactive, though I can’t entirely rule out some vague environmental influence.
    Calone is by no means my favorite, as you can see by how little I've worn stuff like Ocean Rain, Escape, New West, etc. I've come to terms with it though and in small doses I can enjoy it, just like liverwurst hahaha.

Yeah, interesting to contemplate. Every time I wear Fidji (which I do, 'cause I like it), I try to imagine what it would have been like if it had remained in Roudnitska's hands. I'm pretty sure he would have overripened that melon and removed some of its tropical undertones.

I hadn't heard before that he tweaked that formula into Therese. Do you remember where you learned that?
    When I was researching Le Parfum de Thérèse for my review, I found some interviews and various tidbits from Edmond and Michael Roudnitska, plus something from Frédéric Malle, who ultimately released it.
    Last edited by Zealot Crusader; 3rd December 2019 at 09:35 PM.

I purchased it on Vinted for 45€.
    Congrats! amazing price

Just got in the mail a 2005 bottle of Creed Original Santal for $50. I believe this was the Launch year for OS. It came with a gold cap, does anybody know if they launched OS with gold Caps? Not a big deal as it smells wonderful.547291BA-7DC1-4CC6-9E10-0B1313380771.jpgBA9331EB-E6B5-4609-9BE9-B9BAE941EC01.jpg

Basenotes Plus

12-04-19.jpg

Not really today, but catching up. Got the Il Lancetti from Bigsly (who's graciously including a sample of Havana Reserva), finally found a French Ungaro pour l'Homme III, and scored an inexpensive vintage Pasha tester.

Quote Originally Posted by adamn2020 View Post
    Just got in the mail a 2005 bottle of Creed Original Santal for $50. I believe this was the Launch year for OS. It came with a gold cap, does anybody know if they launched OS with gold Caps? Not a big deal as it smells wonderful.547291BA-7DC1-4CC6-9E10-0B1313380771.jpgBA9331EB-E6B5-4609-9BE9-B9BAE941EC01.jpg
    No Original Santal did not come with a gold cap. Have you done a comparison between this early release and the stuff available now?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

12-04-19.jpg

Not really today, but catching up. Got the Il Lancetti from Bigsly (who's graciously including a sample of Havana Reserva), finally found a French Ungaro pour l'Homme III, and scored an inexpensive vintage Pasha tester.

Where's Gin? I thought he was the model for frag pics.

Basenotes Plus

Where's Gin? I thought he was the model for frag pics.
    These are frags I've ordered, not what I've received, so, short of me Photoshopping him into the pics, there's no way he could appear in them. Beyond that, he only models when he happens to be in the bathroom while I'm prepping, which isn't typical.

No Original Santal did not come with a gold cap. Have you done a comparison between this early release and the stuff available now?
    Maybe since it was a tester and they usually come without caps, the seller might might have just added one? But the only comparison I have done is with MontBlanc Individual. OS is Spicier and more natural and lasts maybe an hour or two longer than MontBlanc.

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

89C1D433-8BF9-49C9-91CC-291B3918577A.jpg
    I’m catching up here. Actually got the D’Albret Ecusson Parfum this afternoon and the others recently enough to include here.

I really like the Ecusson cologne from 50’s-70s The parfum is having a serious dirty/soapy tug of war - clean but fertile underwear, compared to the cologne where there’s a just-a-touch-of-pee thing happening. You know I can’t imagine describing my love of these smells to anyone outside of BNers
    The four Lelong colognes - Tailspin, Sirocco, Balalaika, Indescret are so fresh for looking so old. Only one had been used. Im excited about the facets these colognes are showing me compared to the parfums.
    Haven’t tried The Coty Imprevu perfume yet.
    Continuing my D’Albert investigating with Princesse cologne.
    I like the Replique parfum very much so got some cologne to try but haven’t sampled it yet.
    Finally, my first Balmain! Jolie Madame. Got a very good deal, but this may be the biggest bottle of Balmain I’ll ever own.
    ”I want all the perfumes”

Basenotes Plus

12-06-19.jpg

Let's hope the fragrances are better than the photographs.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    fertile underwear
    ????

Haven’t tried The Coty Imprevu perfume yet.
    I recently got a PdT version of it, based on Grayspoole's rave, and it's quite nice. Betting the perfume's even better.

Finally, my first Balmain! Jolie Madame. Got a very good deal, but this may be the biggest bottle of Balmain I’ll ever own.
    Booo! Old Balmains deserve attention, especially Jolie Madame. Leather and violets. A kitten with a whip.

Basenotes Plus

Old Balmains deserve attention, especially Jolie Madame. Leather and violets. A kitten with a whip.
    How do you feel about Miss Balmain, Ivoire, and Balmain de Balmain?

Basenotes Plus

How do you feel about Miss Balmain, Ivoire, and Balmain de Balmain?
    Miss B: 5-Star leather floral chypre. A liiiitle bit more femme than Cabochard, but still very strict.

Ivoire: My favorite pencil shavings. Acres of aldehydes. As aloof and icy as No. 19, but soapy. The Tippi Hedren of perfumes.

Balmain de Balmain: You just reminded me that I own a bottle of this but haven't worn it in so long I've forgotten what it's like. Excuse me a minute. [....] Oh, right -- fabulous bouncy galbanum, and then I lose interest because: jasmine.

And let's not forget the late, lamented Vent Vert. One of the all-time green beauties, may she rest in peace.

Balmain was once a giant among houses.

Page 194 of 202 FirstFirst ... 94 144 184 192 193 194 195 196 ... LastLast