Code of Conduct
Page 195 of 202 FirstFirst ... 95 145 185 193 194 195 196 197 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,850 of 6040
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Miss B: 5-Star leather floral chypre. A liiiitle bit more femme than Cabochard, but still very strict.

Ivoire: My favorite pencil shavings. Acres of aldehydes. As aloof and icy as No. 19, but soapy. The Tippi Hedren of perfumes.

Balmain de Balmain: You just reminded me that I own a bottle of this but haven't worn it in so long I've forgotten what it's like. Excuse me a minute. [....] Oh, right -- fabulous bouncy galbanum, and then I lose interest because: jasmine.

And let's not forget the late, lamented Vent Vert. One of the all-time green beauties, may she rest in peace.

Balmain was once a giant among houses.
    Much appreciated! I still have to give my masculine Balmains (Monsieur, Ébčne) a workout.

????
    Fertile underwear - Since you asked (????) - I’ll provide details which I omitted due to possible TMI, but I will try. I thought women would know what I was talking about. If you take away urine and feces then what you have in a woman’s underwear (generally of childbearing years, and approaching ovulation) is the clean, natural issuance of lady parts. It is specific to that. Hope that clears thing up

Booo! Old Balmains deserve attention, especially Jolie Madame. Leather and violets. A kitten with a whip.
    Yes, yes!
    My mention of only owning the tiny vintage bottles of Balmain is In no way due to my lack love for them, on the contrary, I nearly genuflect while putting on the few drops from my mini flacon of Jolie Madame. Just that they are so expensive that having giant bottles seems unlikely.
    ”I want all the perfumes”

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Purchased this beauty today - russian Shipr Cologne (Chypre). Based on Chypre de Coty, the russians started production of it in the 1950s.
    Made for the russian market (and not subjected to IFRA butchering) the ingredients-list on this bottle consists of (besides alc., fragrance and water) citronellol, eugenol and evernia prunastri (oakmoss).... I'm excited.
    IMG_2517.jpg
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    It is specific to that. Hope that clears thing up
    Aha. Got it. I thought you were talking about underpants that were capable of reproducing. Which would be weird.

My mention of only owning the tiny vintage bottles of Balmain is In no way due to my lack love for them, on the contrary, I nearly genuflect while putting on the few drops from my mini flacon of Jolie Madame. Just that they are so expensive that having giant bottles seems unlikely.
    Aha 2. I misunderstood.

Basenotes Plus

I thought you were talking about underpants that were capable of reproducing. Which would be weird.
    And where, exactly, do you think new underpants come from?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    And where, exactly, do you think new underpants come from?
    Well, when two pairs of Bermuda shorts love each other very much....

Basenotes Plus

GD.jpg

You knew I'd give in sooner or later.

Basenotes Plus

GD.jpg

T'aint no Rabbit Hole. Black hole it is. Forget about getting off
    You're done Mon Ami!
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Freed from BN Institution

GD.jpg

What was the final bidding price?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Irisss by Xerjoff

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    What was the final bidding price?
    $237.50.

$237.50.
    That's an excellent deal.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

$237.50.
    Yikes. Definitely not one I ever expect to experience in vintage, not that the modern bottle is really any cheaper hahahaha
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Yikes. Definitely not one I ever expect to experience in vintage, not that the modern bottle is really any cheaper hahahaha
    It’s cheaper than artisanal.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

It’s cheaper than artisanal.
    Not all artisanal is priced like Areej le Dore or Slumberhouse. They have a "special" sort of FOMO frenzy market they've cultivated.

I suggest Rogue, Bruno Fazzolari (also goes under Fzotic), Sixteen92 and 3160 Tuesdays, Ex Idolo, and Madhat as some really nice artisanal brands that don't exist in a hype bubble (and are about average to niche-level pricing per ml to boot). I'd expand but I'm in the wrong thread for it. Nice catch regardless!

Basenotes Plus

Not all artisanal is priced like Areej le Dore or Slumberhouse. They have a "special" sort of FOMO frenzy market they've cultivated.

I suggest Rogue, Bruno Fazzolari (also goes under Fzotic), Sixteen92 and 3160 Tuesdays, Ex Idolo, and Madhat as some really nice artisanal brands that don't exist in a hype bubble (and are about average to niche-level pricing per ml to boot). I'd expand but I'm in the wrong thread for it. Nice catch regardless!
    I have my eye on several of those as houses to explore seriously in the coming year. But it seems most of the relatively modest artisanal perfumers still trade at around $3/ml—which, BTW, I don’t regard as out of line for what they do. (Hell, plenty of current niche and designer stuff is at or above that price point.) I prefer not to spend that much on vintage “unicorns” as a rule, because the money isn’t going to the artisan. But, Derby was on my short list, and other sellers are asking twice or more what I paid, so I made an exception.

I can’t really blame people for charging as much as the market will bear for vintage frags. But I won’t be shelling out top dollar for FBs of Patou pour Homme or Macassar any time soon (let alone, say, Djedi). I’d love to have them, but my life won’t be incomplete if I never do.

I have my eye on several of those as houses to explore seriously in the coming year. But it seems most of the relatively modest artisanal perfumers still trade at around $3/ml—which, BTW, I don’t regard as out of line for what they do. (Hell, plenty of current niche and designer stuff is at or above that price point.) I prefer not to spend that much on vintage “unicorns” as a rule, because the money isn’t going to the artisan. But, Derby was on my short list, and other sellers are asking twice or more what I paid, so I made an exception.

I can’t really blame people for charging as much as the market will bear for vintage frags. But I won’t be shelling out top dollar for FBs of Patou pour Homme or Macassar any time soon (let alone, say, Djedi). I’d love to have them, but my life won’t be incomplete if I never do.
    I would suggest looking at some of the other iconic classics like Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, and Sous Le Vent.

I would suggest looking at some of the other iconic classics like Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, and Sous Le Vent.
    +1 Along with many other Guerlain's - Philtre d'Amour is another under the radar classic.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    T'aint no Rabbit Hole. Black hole it is. Forget about getting off
    You're done Mon Ami!
    Lol...Same thoughts here!!!
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Not today, but trying to play catch up.

Was lucky to grab an old bottle, and really old bottle, of Annick Goutal Vétiver at decent prices. The older, darker ribbed bottle smells headier and a little mossy. I haven't seen Vétiver is that bottle style much. If anyone knows how old it might be, I'm all ears.

Also jumped on some vintage Czech & Speake No. 88, BNIB. The label says it was $40 when new, for the 50ml. I'd guess that was a while ago but not sure. Just a few listed ingredients on the sticker on the bottom.

WP_20190620_17_25_50_Pro.jpgWP_20190620_17_26_45_Pro.jpg
    WP_20191030_19_09_22_Pro.jpgWP_20191030_19_09_35_Pro.jpg
    WP_20191030_19_09_48_Pro.jpg

Yikes. Definitely not one I ever expect to experience in vintage
    Lest ye not forgot about the wonderful world of splitters. strifeknot is splitting eagle bottle of Derby, 5ml for under $30. He also does off-site sales of even smaller amounts on Crystal Flacon. I'm guessing a 2ml spray would run you $15 or so, maybe even less.

If all you're looking for is an experience, rather than the bottle collecting aspect, 2ml should provide an ample one for the price of a movie ticket and popcorn.

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Bought something a little closer to the ground, brand-value wise. Denim Cologne Spray with the old button-logo (2 x "Denim"). Don't know when it went from 'cologne' to 'edt'.
    IMG_2518.jpg
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    +1 Along with many other Guerlain's - Philtre d'Amour is another under the radar classic.
    So, your goal is to send me down the rabbit hole with a searchlight? Mrs. S. wants to try Mitsouko, and, from their descriptions, I could see myself enjoying Sous le Vent or Philtre d'Amour, but I suspect Vol de Nuit would smell too much of Guerlinade for me. Anyway, I think a serious exploration of the House of Guerlain is going to have to be done by samples.

So, your goal is to send me down the rabbit hole with a searchlight? Mrs. S. wants to try Mitsouko, and, from their descriptions, I could see myself enjoying Sous le Vent or Philtre d'Amour, but I suspect Vol de Nuit would smell too much of Guerlinade for me. Anyway, I think a serious exploration of the House of Guerlain is going to have to be done by samples.
    It's worth the effort, I also think Mrs S will find more than a few Guerlains quite a bit to her liking.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

My goal is for you to "taste the rainbow" of the hobby, experience the spectrum of plebian to prestige, antique to the bloody edge of modernism, dandy to alpha, low and high. I find you end up with the best perspective on what's a fair shake and what's snake oil that way. So far so good I'd say, especially since you're going in with partials and generally have a higher budget to explore.

You've made strides in double time compared to others here and have impressively smelled things I'm likely to never try. Once you get all the "unicorns" and "GOATS" out of the way and leave the petting zoo behind, that's when things get interesting because you start exploring the things nobody talks about and finding the stuff that won't win you any points with the bruhaha here, but will really satisfy you. aka the stuff you're likely to be the only one regularly wearing or talking about.

In niche, that was Mon Patchouly by Ramon Monegal (2009) for me. In vintage, it was Anthracite Pour L'Homme by Jacomo (1991), and in modern high street/designer, it was Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime (2016) for me.

You owe it to yourself to explore the vintage Guerlains. They are well worth your time, and I suspect you and Mrs. S will both agree. Vol de Nuit, Sous le Vent and Vega are all great examples of the genius of this house back in the day.

Basenotes Plus

My goal is for you to "taste the rainbow" of the hobby, experience the spectrum of plebian to prestige, antique to the bloody edge of modernism, dandy to alpha, low and high. I find you end up with the best perspective on what's a fair shake and what's snake oil that way. So far so good I'd say, especially since you're going in with partials and generally have a higher budget to explore.

You've made strides in double time compared to others here and have impressively smelled things I'm likely to never try. Once you get all the "unicorns" and "GOATS" out of the way and leave the petting zoo behind, that's when things get interesting because you start exploring the things nobody talks about and finding the stuff that won't win you any points with the bruhaha here, but will really satisfy you. aka the stuff you're likely to be the only one regularly wearing or talking about.

In niche, that was Mon Patchouly by Ramon Monegal (2009) for me. In vintage, it was Anthracite Pour L'Homme by Jacomo (1991), and in modern high street/designer, it was Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime (2016) for me.
    Well, of course, it wasn't you suggesting Guerlain unicorns. (Sure, if I had $2,300 in loose change behind my sofa cushions, I might blind-buy that 1937 Sous le Vent on eBay.) You're more likely to send me chasing after unsung vintage drugstore obscurities, which, if somewhat less often sublime, are at least vastly more affordable, and really no less fun. I definitely have my eye on some promising cheapies!

I haven't truly settled on my niche/vintage/high-street-designer signatures yet, though if pushed I'd name Abdes Salaam Mecca Balsam, Crown Perfumery Park Royal, and Clive Christian 1872. Luckily, I have no need to settle just yet. I'm clearly still in Skittles mode, given that this rainbow has mega colors to taste. Every once in a while, though, I want to nibble a To'ak chocolate bar.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Well, of course, it wasn't you suggesting Guerlain unicorns. (Sure, if I had $2,300 in loose change behind my sofa cushions, I might blind-buy that 1937 Sous le Vent on eBay.) You're more likely to send me chasing after unsung vintage drugstore obscurities, which, if somewhat less often sublime, are at least vastly more affordable, and really no less fun. I definitely have my eye on some promising cheapies!

I haven't truly settled on my niche/vintage/high-street-designer signatures yet, though if pushed I'd name Abdes Salaam Mecca Balsam, Crown Perfumery Park Royal, and Clive Christian 1872. Luckily, I have no need to settle just yet. I'm clearly still in Skittles mode, given that this rainbow has mega colors to taste. Every once in a while, though, I want to nibble a To'ak chocolate bar.
    Good. Never settle. Those 3 I listed could easily switch out for 3 more, and if I were to list vintage drugstores I love (beside Avon) that don't get any interest here, I'd say Revlon That Man (1958) and MEM Wind Drift (1970) are exponentially higher quality than their original price points (as unfortunately reflected by their eBay prices), but also Samba for Men by The Perfumer's Workshop (1990). What qualifies as sublime can be pretty subjective, but I'd take Wind Drift over most niche fougčres.

Basenotes Plus

Was wondering how long it was gonna take.

Rowan and Martin returns!
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    Was wondering how long it was gonna take.

Rowan and Martin returns!
    I'm curious, which one of us between me and PStoller is Rowan, and which one Martin? <3

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    You owe it to yourself to explore the vintage Guerlains. They are well worth your time, and I suspect you and Mrs. S will both agree. Vol de Nuit, Sous le Vent and Vega are all great examples of the genius of this house back in the day.
    It's worth the effort, I also think Mrs S will find more than a few Guerlains quite a bit to her liking.
    I do appreciate the suggestions, thank you. The day will come, possibly sooner than I think.

Basenotes Plus

I'm curious, which one of us between me and PStoller is Rowan, and which one Martin? <3
    It depends which of us is more of a Dick.

Page 195 of 202 FirstFirst ... 95 145 185 193 194 195 196 197 ... LastLast