Code of Conduct
Page 196 of 202 FirstFirst ... 96 146 186 194 195 196 197 198 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,880 of 6040
o
  1. #5851
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    9,080
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    It depends which of us is more of a Dick.
    Well I'm definitely not a straight man like Dan Rowan was so I guess that's me.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

  2. #5852
    Basenotes Institution badarun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    13,664

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Not today, but trying to play catch up.

    Was lucky to grab an old bottle, and really old bottle, of Annick Goutal Vétiver at decent prices. The older, darker ribbed bottle smells headier and a little mossy. I haven't seen Vétiver is that bottle style much. If anyone knows how old it might be, I'm all ears.

    Also jumped on some vintage Czech & Speake No. 88, BNIB. The label says it was $40 when new, for the 50ml. I'd guess that was a while ago but not sure. Just a few listed ingredients on the sticker on the bottom.

    Attachment 114288Attachment 114289
    Attachment 114290Attachment 114291
    Attachment 114292



    Lest ye not forgot about the wonderful world of splitters. strifeknot is splitting eagle bottle of Derby, 5ml for under $30. He also does off-site sales of even smaller amounts on Crystal Flacon. I'm guessing a 2ml spray would run you $15 or so, maybe even less.

    If all you're looking for is an experience, rather than the bottle collecting aspect, 2ml should provide an ample one for the price of a movie ticket and popcorn.
    Great pick on the Goutal Vetiver. One of my top 3 vetivers...
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

  3. #5853
    Basenotes Plus
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,451

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    It depends which of us is more of a Dick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Well I'm definitely not a straight man like Dan Rowan was so I guess that's me.
    I was certainly the straight man for that.
    Currently wearing: Ténéré by Paco Rabanne

  4. #5854
    Basenotes Plus

    purecaramel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    in a garden with 7 senses
    Posts
    4,613

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I was certainly the straight man for that.
    What a pair!

    I would say both of you could likelyy play both parts.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

  5. #5855
    Basenotes Plus
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,451

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I would suggest looking at some of the other iconic classics like Mitsouko…
    Mitsouko.jpg

    Fine! Happy now?
    Currently wearing: Ténéré by Paco Rabanne

  6. #5856
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    9,080
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Mitsouko.jpg

    Fine! Happy now?
    Extrait de parfum? Also be careful, some experts warn that darker fluid on these older bottles runs the risk of being off.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

  7. #5857
    Basenotes Plus
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,451

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Extrait de parfum? Also be careful, some experts warn that darker fluid on these older bottles runs the risk of being off.
    Yep, extrait—125 ml of it. So, let's hope it doesn't suck.
    Currently wearing: Ténéré by Paco Rabanne

  8. #5858
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    9,080
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Yep, extrait—125 ml of it. So, let's hope it doesn't suck.
    Bonette and Lellabelle are the experts on vintage Guerlain if I remember correctly. Run this by them.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

  9. #5859
    Basenotes Plus
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,451

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Bonette and Lellabelle are the experts on vintage Guerlain if I remember correctly. Run this by them.
    I’ll probably have to have it in hand first. I don’t think color is enough to go by, save when a frag has changed more radically than between shades of amber.
    Currently wearing: Ténéré by Paco Rabanne

  10. #5860
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    6,353

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Great pick on the Goutal Vetiver. One of my top 3 vetivers...
    I've never smelled any version of Goutal's vetiver, though I 'm a fan of Goutal's greens in general. Is the vintage substantially superior to the modern? And what would be the cut-off date for the vintage?

  11. #5861
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    46,504

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Mitsouko.jpg

    Fine! Happy now?
    If you look at other images of vintage bottles of Mitsouko perfumes some have darker tints. A good sign here would be that this is a full bottle by appearance. It does appear to be sealed and perhaps never opened.

    You will have to test it out to and perhaps compare it with another sample to make a conclusion.

    If turns out to be fine, then you struck gold.

    Vol de Nuit, Sous Le Vent, Vega, Samsara, Jicky, L'Heure Bleue, Shalimar, Chamade, Nahema, Eau de Cologne Imperiale, Eau de Coq, Apres L'Ondee, Champs Elysees, Mouchoir de Monsieur... all to sample and/or purchase.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  12. #5862
    Basenotes Plus
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,451

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    GatsbyMini.jpg

    Just a mini. Deciding if it might be preferable to Zino.
    Currently wearing: Ténéré by Paco Rabanne

  13. #5863
    Basenotes Plus

    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    37,465

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    ...Also jumped on some vintage Czech & Speake No. 88, BNIB. The label says it was $40 when new, for the 50ml. I'd guess that was a while ago but not sure. Just a few listed ingredients on the sticker on the bottom...
    That's the one I own - congrat's. When I wear it, I'm reminded of what a fantastic fragrance it is. No. 88 was talked about so much on BN ten years ago - now it's almost never discussed.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

    -- D. Elton Trueblood

  14. #5864
    Basenotes Plus
    grayspoole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    943

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I’ll probably have to have it in hand first. I don’t think color is enough to go by, save when a frag has changed more radically than between shades of amber.
    Hi Pstoller-

    I look forward to hearing what you think your vintage Mitsouko. Vintage Guerlain extraits are worth the risk, and for a bottle of this size, you got a great deal. Although the bottle is sealed, it looks like the baudruchage has partially come off, but it is certainly full to the brim. In my experience, oxidized vintage extraits usually don't smell truly bad, but you may notice that the structure of the perfume has flattened out and the perfume won't develop or last on the skin. Good luck with it (vintage Mitsouko extrait is glorious) and do report back.

  15. #5865
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    307,980

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Excellent!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  16. #5866
    Basenotes Plus
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,451

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Vintage Guerlain extraits are worth the risk, and for a bottle of this size, you got a great deal. Although the bottle is sealed, it looks like the baudruchage has partially come off, but it is certainly full to the brim. In my experience, oxidized vintage extraits usually don't smell truly bad, but you may notice that the structure of the perfume has flattened out and the perfume won't develop or last on the skin. Good luck with it (vintage Mitsouko extrait is glorious) and do report back.
    My only problem is, I haven’t a frame of reference. If you have a stock of known glorious vintage Mitsouko, would you want to swap samples to compare?
    Currently wearing: Ténéré by Paco Rabanne

  17. #5867
    People of Zee Wurl, Relax
    IsoESuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    3,994

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I've never smelled any version of Goutal's vetiver, though I 'm a fan of Goutal's greens in general. Is the vintage substantially superior to the modern? And what would be the cut-off date for the vintage?
    I'm not sure if there's any consensus as to when it stopped being vintage, but some years back they disco'd the EdT and brought about an EdC that smells much fresher and only has hints of the EdT. I still like the EdC, but the EdT is quite its own animal. I generally go by EdC as being the modern one.

    It's a really punchy, unusual vetiver. I'm kind of shocked it came out in 1985 but then again, they were doing other crazy, progressive shit like Sables back then. I think you and I ride similar waves of vetiver fanaticism, and this is on the level of Etro with full-force, in your face vetiver accords.

    Where Etro basically smells realistically like actual vetiver oil, the Goutal does something considerably different. It has a...frankly weird briny/iodine & spice accord that I think would turn the stomachs of some while delighting others. I really have to be in the mood for it, but it's incredible when I am. I've smelled quite a few vetivers, none of those were anything like the Goutal.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    That's the one I own - congrat's. When I wear it, I'm reminded of what a fantastic fragrance it is. No. 88 was talked about so much on BN ten years ago - now it's almost never discussed.
    Agreed, Mike. It is fantastic. One of the <40 things I've thrown a 5-star rating at. This is my second bottle of the vintage, my first No.88 is one of the few things I've managed to empty. I wish I kept it because I swear there were Forester Milano markings on either the bottle or outer tube, but this one doesn't have any. I don't think it's fake by any means, but I don't think it's post-Forester either.

    I remember those days as a lurker. For a while there, hardly 48hrs went by without seeing a post about No.88 or Domenico Caraceni 1913, they were the hot topic masculine rose scents back then. The heyday of L'Artisan, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, Parfum d'Empire, Parfumerie Generale, and even that now obscure one that Gualtieri did prior to Nasomatto. People of the Corn or something was the house. It wasn't that, but it was People of the _____ I think. Probably 90% of the existing niche/indie houses weren't born yet, L'Artisan was like the king.

  18. #5868

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Attachment 114268

    You knew I'd give in sooner or later.
    NOoOoOOO nOOOO!!111!one

    You stole it from meee!

    Well...now I have to bow in front of you and say...enjoy in good health Stoller!

    One day my time will come too..for Derby, Djedi...and other legendary Guerlain unicorns...
    Last edited by Deleanu; 11th December 2019 at 12:10 AM.
    One person's craziness is other person's reality !

  19. #5869
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    6,353

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    It's a really punchy, unusual vetiver. I'm kind of shocked it came out in 1985 but then again, they were doing other crazy, progressive shit like Sables back then. I think you and I ride similar waves of vetiver fanaticism, and this is on the level of Etro with full-force, in your face vetiver accords.
    Clearly I need some. Four words I have yet to ever utter: "That's too much vetiver." PC sent me some pure vetiver perfume oil, and even that didn't choke me out.

    I wish I kept it because I swear there were Forester Milano markings on either the bottle or outer tube
    Huh?

  20. #5870

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Mitsouko.jpg

    Fine! Happy now?
    I'd be weary my friend. That seller sold two listings one from Nov. and one from Dec. using the same pictures. He also has his location as Morocco, but is shipping out of China (mostly every listing of vintage Mitsouko from China, Russia, or UAE is a scam btw).

  21. #5871
    People of Zee Wurl, Relax
    IsoESuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    3,994

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Clearly I need some. Four words I have yet to ever utter: "That's too much vetiver." PC sent me some pure vetiver perfume oil, and even that didn't choke me out.
    In a way, smell wise, it is less vetivery than the Etro. But it punches just as hard, maybe harder, with whatever is going on in it. By and large, most vetiver oils I've smelled are generally easy-going and not super chokey. Many do show the peanut husk-y side in full force, though. Just a guess, but I think the Goutal could choke someone more easily than the pure oil.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Huh?
    Forester Srl, located in Milan (and now defunct?) did either the distribution or dist. & compounding for a few houses - Czech & Speake, Washington Tremlett, Domenico Caraceni, and probably others I'm unaware of. I assume they were kind of like Diana de Silva, who did Ettore Bugatti, GIanfranco Ferre, I think Moschino and again probably more I never knew about/can't remember. I think DdS did release some perfumes under their own name too, which I don't think Forester did.

    One of the tell-tale signs of vtg. Czech & Speake stuff was that it had "Forester Milano" somewhere on it. Also I think the cardboard cylinder was an indicator too, but I suppose I thought either both were there or neither. Could be someone was doing Czech & Speake prior to Forester, but I don't know. There was an old blog post that had a lot of Forester info on it, I forget whose. Maybe the_good_life (The State of Carnation) or maybe someone else. I think they interviewed John Stephen who was the OG Czech & Speake perfumer...and now doing stuff for YouTubers apparently.

  22. #5872
    Basenotes Plus
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,451

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    I'd be wary my friend. That seller sold two listings one from Nov. and one from Dec. using the same pictures. He also has his location as Morocco, but is shipping out of China (mostly every listing of vintage Mitsouko from China, Russia, or UAE is a scam btw).
    Thanks for the heads-up. I did note the oddity of the item and shipping location, but didn't check back to see old listings. The December listing is my auction, while the November listing shows as both "sold" and "relisted." This can happen if a sale doesn't go through, but it's highly suspicious. If it's bogus, you can bet I'll get my money back.
    Currently wearing: Ténéré by Paco Rabanne

  23. #5873
    Heaven's made of oakmoss
    Marand75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,277

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up. I did note the oddity of the item and shipping location, but didn't check back to see old listings. If it's bogus, you can bet I'll get my money back.
    Yea, and then do splits of it with fixed prices and a disclaimer
    Nah I hope it's kosher, man.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

  24. #5874
    Basenotes Plus
    grayspoole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    943

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    My only problem is, I haven’t a frame of reference. If you have a stock of known glorious vintage Mitsouko, would you want to swap samples to compare?
    Ask and you shall receive, friend. Sent you a PM.

  25. #5875
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    46,504

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Ask and you shall receive, friend. Sent you a PM.
    I'm inclined to wanting to do another sample swap. There's a few more items from your collection that I haven't tried that I'm intrigued to try.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  26. #5876
    Basenotes Plus
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,451

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Mostly cheapies: An Etienne Aigner sampler…

    12-10-19EA.jpg

    …and other random goodies:

    12-10-19Mis.jpg

    Nothing coming from Morocco by way of China this time. (BTW, that seller's other fragrances seem an odd assortment of vintage also-rans for a scammer, but we'll see.)
    Currently wearing: Ténéré by Paco Rabanne

  27. #5877
    Basenotes Plus

    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    37,465

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    ...Agreed, Mike. It is fantastic. One of the <40 things I've thrown a 5-star rating at. This is my second bottle of the vintage, my first No.88 is one of the few things I've managed to empty. I wish I kept it because I swear there were Forester Milano markings on either the bottle or outer tube, but this one doesn't have any. I don't think it's fake by any means, but I don't think it's post-Forester either.

    I remember those days as a lurker. For a while there, hardly 48hrs went by without seeing a post about No.88 or Domenico Caraceni 1913, they were the hot topic masculine rose scents back then. The heyday of L'Artisan, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, Parfum d'Empire, Parfumerie Generale, and even that now obscure one that Gualtieri did prior to Nasomatto. People of the Corn or something was the house. It wasn't that, but it was People of the _____ I think. Probably 90% of the existing niche/indie houses weren't born yet, L'Artisan was like the king.
    I think you're talking about People Of the Labyrinths? I loved their two releases (both sold in EdP and Parfum): A.maze (2007...the rose/oud one - released right when rose/oud became a 'thing') and Luctor et Emergo (1998...aka The One That Smells JUST like Play-doh).

    But speaking of rose/oud before it was a 'thing': Dark Rose by Czech & Speake (2003) was the sh*t for a while on BN, several years before rose/oud blew up.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

    -- D. Elton Trueblood

  28. #5878

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    This just arrived yesterday - no barcode. Wearing it today!

    Currently wearing: Wild Country by Avon

  29. #5879

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by aero58 View Post
    This just arrived yesterday - no barcode. Wearing it today!

    Love it...
    One person's craziness is other person's reality !

  30. #5880
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    around
    Posts
    493

    Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

    bought a pre-barcode Eau Sauvage (late 80s I think). Can't wait til it comes in the mail...I'll compare it to my new magnetic cap Eau Sauvage.




Page 196 of 202 FirstFirst ... 96 146 186 194 195 196 197 198 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Today I bought September 2016
    By N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 30th September 2016, 09:42 PM
  2. Today I bought: August 2016
    By Trauerkraut in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 455
    Last Post: 1st September 2016, 09:02 PM
  3. Today I bought: May 2016
    By Trauerkraut in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 555
    Last Post: 2nd June 2016, 04:59 AM
  4. Today I bought May 2016
    By N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 1st June 2016, 04:52 AM
  5. Today I Bought May 2016
    By Scentologist in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 22nd May 2016, 02:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000