Code of Conduct
Page 32 of 68 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

^^^ Thank you. It is animalic with civet, musk, and castoreum...some might say sexy. One reviewer likened it to a much more feminine version of MKK. It is certainly much less expensive than MKK. I really like it a lot. It smells even better than I hoped it would do. Definitely recommended to anyone who likes civet, musk, and castoreum notes.

My bottles are all pre-barcode. Not sure whence Revlon discontinued it, though. Surprised that they discontinued it because it apparently was quite popular. Perhaps they had to make room for a newer style fragrance at the time.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Based on reviews I never considered Bugatti to be "related" to Bel Ami in any way... hence my indecisiveness and not committing to a purchase. I'll need to do more research though - I see the "original" from 1992, but I also see "Black Edition" online that I can't find any info or mention in the fragrance directory, either here or the other fragrance site we all know (mostly for its directory). If you can PM me with any info on Black Edition, or have a link to some online reference/comparison to the original, that would be swell!

But I don't want to hijack this thread, so... my most current vintage acquisition is good 'ole Hermès Equipage - it's my SOTE, smells like a million bucks (in crisp $100 bills):

Not sure if you had any further info on this yet. I have been using Bugatti in the blue box since the mid 90's or so and I don't see much in relation to Bel Ami (been using this since 88 or 89) but the Bugatti has become one of my greatest scents for its versatility and there has been quite a lot of talk about this scent over the years. I remembered putting my view on this as well -there must be threads around from then you can search through. The so called 'Black Edition' I take it is the one that comes in a black box with a clear bottle. This is a completely different scent altogether, this one is more towards the fresher side of things and one of the first mens fragrance to use watermelon notes - I have this one since launch date and while is may be on the lighter side, it is a very serene creation and I do love it for what it is. Oh, the way, I grew up with Equipage as my dad has a little bottle of it - I still have that bottle from the 80's and the scent has not really changed very much - I did buy a big bottle some 12 years ago and was pleased that the scent remained true to the original.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eau Absolutely View Post
    Attachment 74020

Not particularly vintage in years but, the old formulation, so I guess it counts.

Very nice too.
    This is heavenly. I had a bottle in the 80's and must have used it up soon after that - found a 100 ml tester some years ago and it just transported me back in time - so dark and heady - not many people appreciated it even back then! The reformulated version with the smooth black bottle sadly is nothing to do with this absolutely bold creature ....

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by aaz View Post
    Not sure if you had any further info on this yet. I have been using Bugatti in the blue box since the mid 90's or so and I don't see much in relation to Bel Ami (been using this since 88 or 89) but the Bugatti has become one of my greatest scents for its versatility and there has been quite a lot of talk about this scent over the years. I remembered putting my view on this as well -there must be threads around from then you can search through. The so called 'Black Edition' I take it is the one that comes in a black box with a clear bottle. This is a completely different scent altogether, this one is more towards the fresher side of things and one of the first mens fragrance to use watermelon notes - I have this one since launch date and while is may be on the lighter side, it is a very serene creation and I do love it for what it is. Oh, the way, I grew up with Equipage as my dad has a little bottle of it - I still have that bottle from the 80's and the scent has not really changed very much - I did buy a big bottle some 12 years ago and was pleased that the scent remained true to the original.

- - - Updated - - -

This is heavenly. I had a bottle in the 80's and must have used it up soon after that - found a 100 ml tester some years ago and it just transported me back in time - so dark and heady - not many people appreciated it even back then! The reformulated version with the smooth black bottle sadly is nothing to do with this absolutely bold creature ....

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/325...hlight=bugatti

The Vintage Equipage is one of the great ones. Contemporary not so much.

Vintage 1992 Bugatti sits alongside my 1986 Bel Ami as one of the finest examples of Men's scents.

Andre Moreau has a great piece, where he interviews a perfumer who, working with Diana de Silva house, developed a number of scents including I believe, Gianfanco Ferre for Men.

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...interview.html
    Last edited by purecaramel; 13th January 2018 at 10:15 PM.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Ultima II by Ultima II

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Nice. What is it like?

I got a couple. Sort of vintage
    I have Sandolo as well. Kind of a little hidden gem. To me it smells sort of similar to vintage Art of Shaving Sandalwood for a fraction of the cost. And equally as good. Great performance for me

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I have Sandolo as well. Kind of a little hidden gem. To me it smells sort of similar to vintage Art of Shaving Sandalwood for a fraction of the cost. And equally as good. Great performance for me

Ha that is exactly what I said. Well almost. Vintage AoS is reformulated version of byblos. So I guess I went a level deeper than you
    Last edited by epapsiou; 14th January 2018 at 12:04 AM.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Ha that is exactly what I said. Well almost. Vintage AoS is reformulated version of byblos. So I guess I went a level deeper than you
    I think you're the only other person here I've seen besides myself that likes Contradiction. Thoughts?
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Perceive for Men by Avon

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I think you're the only other person here I've seen besides myself that likes Contradiction. Thoughts?
    I bought it blind. It is not bad. Similar to Lord by Molyneux. That Lime note is challenging. Have not done a full wearing yet. Will post when I do.

Yes, I'll go along with that. I've not looked at release dates, and had AoS first. Thus the way I worded it. Do you find Sandolo to have WAY above average longevity, like me?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I bought it blind. It is not bad. Similar to Lord by Molyneux. That Lime note is challenging. Have not done a full wearing yet. Will post when I do.
    I kind of gathered that this one wasn't "cool" to like because a lot of respected reviewers here trashed the scent, but while I gave it a greenlight (mostly out of nostalgia from having it for years), I'll admit it was a rather bold risk from CK that didn't pay off.

It was green when green wasn't cool anymore, and synthetic when green stuff of old was often more natural in tone, so it just did all these things in face of preconceived notions that both ruffled vintage lovers and fans of what was at the time contemporary masculine design..

Tl;dr: a fragrance made without an audience but without the niche cred because it's from CK.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: Perceive for Men by Avon

Some beautiful full bottles

IMG20180113170851.jpg

IMG20180113232726.jpg

Several miniatures....

IMG20180113235142.jpg
    OMG....Shiseido Inoui is so beautiful!

A vintage bottle of Eternity for Men. This is a nostalgic fragrance and smells similar to 20+ years ago; fresh, with a nice blend of citrus, jasmine, green watery notes and a little musk.

And this gem found at a steal wraps up my holiday haul.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Dependent

IMG_3537.JPG

Batch # 8103 : year 2014 but Chanel codes are repeated every 8 years .Can be 2006, 1998 or 1990 ...
    Currently wearing: Le Vetiver Itasca by Lubin

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by munch357 View Post
    And this gem found at a steal wraps up my holiday haul.

Love his one. Have you tried current? How is current vs vintage ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Avecesar View Post
    IMG_3537.JPG

Batch # 8103 : year 2014 but Chanel codes are repeated every 8 years .Can be 2006, 1998 or 1990 ...
    Not much info on Chanel but Bavard would know.
    With Egoiste all formulations are pretty good.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Avecesar View Post
    It looks like a '90s bottle to me.
    Some Favorites
    1. Antaeus/Antaeus Sport
    2. Chanel for Men/Chanel Pour Monsieur/Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree
    3. Chanel Bois Noir/Egoiste/Egoiste Concentree/Platinum Egoiste
    4. Fahrenheit/Fahrenheit Summer
    5. Patou Pour Homme/Patou Pour Homme Prive
    6. Habit Rouge edc/Habit Rouge edt
    7. Givenchy Gentleman (1974)
    8. Balenciaga Ho Hang Club
    9. Moschino Pour Homme
    10. Dior Homme/Dior Homme Intense
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Love his one. Have you tried current? How is current vs vintage ?

- - - Updated - - -

Not much info on Chanel but Bavard would know.
    With Egoiste all formulations are pretty good.
    This would be my first time in recent memory trying the vintage. My friend had one in the 90's, but I forgot how it smelled. Will report once it arrives!

Basenotes Plus

Really?? A guy with 10 BelAmi has 0 Bugatti !!!!
    You should get one pronto.
    Deficiency addressed. A vintage bottle of Ettore Bugatti has been ordered this morning.
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

Always be smelling

Deficiency addressed. A vintage bottle of Ettore Bugatti has been ordered this morning.
    Now you can get your vintage card back

I ordered one last week also and should be receiving it today.

I also decided to pick up a little more Tiffany for Men today, since I heard it might be going up in price. A very underrated fragrance, I think.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Blend 30 by Dunhill

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    It looks like a '90s bottle to me.
    Thank you for your input, Bavard. Amazing scent ! Strong but refined and elegant, very unique ...
    Currently wearing: Le Vetiver Itasca by Lubin

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I also decided to pick up a little more Tiffany for Men today, since I heard it might be going up in price. A very underrated fragrance, I think.
    It's a classic! How does the current one stack up against the vintage? I have a bottle of the vintage release from probably 20 years ago - still as rich and wonderful as the day I bought it. This one seems to be very underrated - I hardly ever see anyone talk about it on BN.

Always be smelling

It's a classic! How does the current one stack up against the vintage? I have a bottle of the vintage release from probably 20 years ago - still as rich and wonderful as the day I bought it. This one seems to be very underrated - I hardly ever see anyone talk about it on BN.
    This one has held up. Not exactly same but 90+% like vintage and will scratch that itch.

Basenotes Plus

This one has held up. Not exactly same but 90+% like vintage and will scratch that itch.
    Nice, and good to know. I walked into Tiffany's before Xmas (little last minute shopping) and they had it behind the counter, along with the Sport flanker, but no testers. I've been meaning to try it, but was told they do not do testers, you can buy it blind if you want, but that's it. No samples either (like they used to in the past, 4ml non-spray vials). Since I already own a bottle of it and it's 90% full, I didn't have the urge to get a current version without trying it first. Sounds like it's still a safe buy today, so perhaps next time I'm there I'll pick up a backup bottle.

Thanks for the info!

Basenotes Plus

Nice, and good to know. I walked into Tiffany's before Xmas (little last minute shopping) and they had it behind the counter, along with the Sport flanker, but no testers. I've been meaning to try it, but was told they do not do testers, you can buy it blind if you want, but that's it. No samples either (like they used to in the past, 4ml non-spray vials). Since I already own a bottle of it and it's 90% full, I didn't have the urge to get a current version without trying it first. Sounds like it's still a safe buy today, so perhaps next time I'm there I'll pick up a backup bottle.

Thanks for the info!
    Acouple of years ago I tried the EDT at the Tiffany boutique and it was quite nice. No samples and I had to ask for it.

The prize though really is the early large spray Cologne. It is a bruiser. chock full.of Sandalwood and a mountain of Powder. I went through a couple of bottles when it first came out. It's a bit of a Dandy. It was calmed down by 2000's.
    Asking prices are in the stupidity territory now.
    Just as much a Masterpiece as Egoiste to my mind. Polge a Master of the great Sandalwood.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Ultima II by Ultima II

Always be smelling

A partial but well preserved.
    A classic citrus vetiver eau de cologne.

Oh, sorry, I meant I bought more of the vintage Tiffany for Men. I only have the vintage and have never smelled the newer, non-vintage version. I also have a big bottle of the Tiffany for Men Cologne Concentree, but I'm trying to sell that one. It's very nice, but doesn't have the same powderiness of the regular TfM. I was thinking it was going to be a stronger version of vintage TfM when I bought it, but that's not the case.

I also received my Ettore Bugatti today. My feelings on it were a little mixed because I do seem to smell a degradation of something in the top notes when I first spray it on. If you've smelled older/degraded fragrances, you know that smell, and this definitely seemed to have it.

However, as usually happens, the offending note(s) die away fairly quickly and it becomes easy to imagine what the fragrance used to be and why it was/is a big hit for most people. It does, indeed, remind me of Tiffany for Men, so whoever came up with that similarity, I agree with it. I haven't had it on long enough to tell anything about it's longevity, but the projection seems to be good. I only paid $35 for my 1 oz bottle, so I guess I'll keep it....especially since there's no guarantee that other bottles from Beauty Encounter won't be the same way. Surely, they are all the same age and came from the same supplier.

I'm batting .1000 with Beauty Encounter though. I've only ordered 2 fragrances from them and both of them smelled off. The other one was Creed's Green Valley several years ago.
    Last edited by RedRaider430; 17th January 2018 at 12:57 AM.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430
    Oh, sorry, I meant I bought more of the vintage Tiffany for Men. I only have the vintage and have never smelled the newer, non-vintage version. I also have a big bottle of the Tiffany for Men Cologne Concentree, but I'm trying to sell that one.
    I've never had the pleasure of smelling TfMCC... I've read couple reviews, but it seems to be more of a unicorn that is impossible to find anymore. Enjoy your bottle while you have it!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430
    I also received my Ettore Bugatti today.
    [...]
    I'm batting .1000 with Beauty Encounter though. I've only ordered 2 fragrances from them and both of them smelled off. The other one was Creed's Green Valley several years ago.
    Sorry to hear that. That is the nature of buying vintage though - anything vintage has a higher probability of being off, or top notes have disappeared by now (especially anything with top citrus notes - which EB is apparently top heavy with). I just ordered my Ettore Bugatti this morning so I should have it in a few days - hopefully it's all good. But I also have a nice bottle of Green Valley that happens to be in perfect condition - bought from another BN collector so I know it was stored well over the years. Thanks for the reminder - I have to pull it out and give it another wearing one of these days. Our "winter" is in the upper 70's and low 80's so it sounds like a perfect time to give it a go. :-)

Finder of floofs.

Overseas purchase, so I won't have in hand for a while yet – a blind buy of Givenchy III parfum.

The lore on this one describes a scent that works well for us dudes; I'm looking forward to seeing for myself once it arrives.

/Acey
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is the nature of buying vintage though - anything vintage has a higher probability of being off, or top notes have disappeared by now (especially anything with top citrus notes - which EB is apparently top heavy with). I just ordered my Ettore Bugatti this morning so I should have it in a few days - hopefully it's all good.
    Agree 100%. All of the degraded fragrances I have ever smelled have been ones with (usually heavy) citrus top notes, and all but one were older/vintage versions. I think the absolute worst one was a bottle of Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien, and was probably more a matter of it being stored improperly.

Yes....hope your bottle of Ettore Bugatti has no problems! I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. Very much like Tiffany for Men, to me.

Always be smelling

I've never had the pleasure of smelling TfMCC... I've read couple reviews, but it seems to be more of a unicorn that is impossible to find anymore. Enjoy your bottle while you have it!
    I have some TfMCC. It is meh compared to original. Not sure what they were concentrating.
    More like Eau de Tiffany.
    But still a good fragrance just not as good as original.

Page 32 of 68 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast