Code of Conduct
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Was that Griff? I miss him being around here. I wonder if he's still an executive at eBay?

Edit: Answered my own question:
    http://pages.ebay.com/griff

Man, you know you're an old-timer when your eBay URL is that short. Apparently he was eBay's first-ever customer service rep, hired in 1996. Don't you know he's seen some sh*t.
    Sorry, I just now saw this. Yes, it was Griff, and yes, he's still at eBay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Ettore Bugatti.

Had to see what all the fuss is about.
    Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Ha. Once you try it you can't go back. It is crack.
    epapsiou, I agree with you, it is very nice, isn't it? Even though the top notes might be a little bit off my bottle, it quickly dies off and I'm left with a fine representation of the gist of the fragrance. And the performance seems great, too...both longevity and projection. I'm coming up on 20 hours and can still clearly smell it.

Just wondering, do you think it smells like Tiffany for Men? Seems very much so to me, although I haven't compared them separately on each hand. That's really the best way to see how close they are. But from memory, I don't know that I could tell one from the other right now. I wonder if Diana de Silva intentionally set out to make a TfM clone?
    Last edited by RedRaider430; 17th January 2018 at 06:13 PM.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Pomelo Paradis & Vetiver Fatal, St James of London, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Blend 30 by Dunhill

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post

Just wondering, do you think it smells like Tiffany for Men? Seems very much so to me, although I haven't compared them separately on each hand. That's really the best way to see how close they are. But from memory, I don't know that I could tell one from the other right now. I wonder if Diana de Silva intentionally set out to make a TfM clone?
    Yes they are very similar. But Bugatti has a better development and drydown.
    Chanel PM Concentree is also similar. Bois de Portugal vintage too. And PdN NY has that vibe.
    I dont think they are clones but they are of similar style. And I am sure one influenced the other.
    I think if you own any one of them in vintage you should be all set.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

IMG_20180117_004906_202.jpg

These "standard" non-vehicular bottles are 10-to-1 harder to find but I scored one. Bought three vehicles of the spicy aftershave to refill this normal bottle, which now tskes up residence in my medicine cabinet next to my Avon Island Lime after shave as well.

What surprised me most is the menthol-like skin cooling of this, even though it has a thinner/more herbal take on Old Spice smell.
    I actually love how it only lasts a few hours smell-wise because it lets me gradually transition into my scent of the day (as long as they are similar), which is why I'm wearing Avon Leather.
    oh look, I have a signature

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    IMG_20180117_004906_202.jpg

These "standard" non-vehicular bottles are 10-to-1 harder to find but I scored one. Bought three vehicles of the spicy aftershave to refill this normal bottle, which now tskes up residence in my medicine cabinet next to my Avon Island Lime after shave as well.

What surprised me most is the menthol-like skin cooling of this, even though it has a thinner/more herbal take on Old Spice smell.
    I actually love how it only lasts a few hours smell-wise because it lets me gradually transition into my scent of the day (as long as they are similar), which is why I'm wearing Avon Leather.
    Weird that uncommon bottles are more common
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Weird that uncommon bottles are more common
    I think what happened was this:

The standard (what I refer to as "stock" bottles to borrow an automotive term) version was either ordered less from the catalogs since most Avon for men in those days was gifted by the women who bought and sold it door to door, as novelty decanters made better stocking stuffers.

-or-

The stock bottles were infinitely easier to use and store in a man's wardrobe or medicine chest and thus all mostly consumed as intended by the guys who got them. While on the other hand, all the goofy, large, or obnoxious novelty bottles were better show pieces than practical fragrance. I mean come on, you try unscrewing the trunk of a glass mini Packard roadster and holding the thing without dropping it so you can splash on it's contents.

This was before a huge collector's population would think to decant stuff into sprayers too, and at a time most middle-America guys saddled with this stuff could even be bothered with smelling like anything other than deodorant. So whether the stock bottles were bought less or used more, the novelty decanters were given to guys then sat.. and sat... and sat.. on coffee tables, mantles, dressers, or maybe stayed in their boxes in the closet.

It's why a 4oz bottle of Öland cologne approaches $50 but the 6oz Packard Roadster bottle of the same stuff can be practically stolen for as little as $5 sometimes.
    oh look, I have a signature