Code of Conduct
Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60
Results 1,771 to 1,787 of 1787
    Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Trying to ascertain the date. Any ideas?
    Early 1990s, I would guess, based on the size, 125 ml. That looks like a splash? I don't remember seeing a 125-ml splash before.

Deleted

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Early 1990s, I would guess, based on the size, 125 ml. That looks like a splash? I don't remember seeing a 125-ml splash before.
    It is 125ml splash. They are a few of them around. I think cytherian has one too.
    The date based on batch would be feb 1990 - probably the first batch.
    Do you know the criterion for L'Egoiste instead of Egoiste? Was it a year thing or location?
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Do you know the criterion for L'Egoiste instead of Egoiste?
    I don't. The labeling "L'Egoiste" is rare and the size 125 ml is rare. I think either means it's one of the earliest batches.

Aquascutum of London (1985). According to a German vintage lover, an excellent one, spicy, resinous, woody, floral. It is not in the BN directory.

Bought a 1oz and a 2oz bottles of vintage aramis splash. One seller responded to my question and said it smells good. Hoping for some classic aramis as I miss the old stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by pippin06 View Post
    Bought a 1oz and a 2oz bottles of vintage aramis splash. One seller responded to my question and said it smells good. Hoping for some classic aramis as I miss the old stuff.
    Congrats, pippin06! Aramis is seriously good stuff. Just recieved a vtg 8oz cologne splash. Totally addicted lol
    /martin
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PaTomas View Post
    So, which Cuir de Russie? Chanel, Creed, ...
    Oh, sorry--it's the Chanel.

middle-may.jpg

Salvador Dali - Salvador, EDT splash
    Dior - Jules, EDT spray
    Tiffany - Tiffany for Men, cologne spray
    Francesco Smalto - Smalto Pour Homme

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    Oh, sorry--it's the Chanel.
    Perfect! Thanks much...

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Nice. I got a bottle a few weeks ago, on recommendation from epapsiou.

Ma Liberté is, supposedly, the closest thing out there to vintage Patou Pour Homme Prive, with "one extra floral note" added - I'm guessing it's the heliotrope, which I am detecting clearly in this one, but do not see in Patou notes.

Mixed feelings here. On one hand, it's undeniably very well made fragrance, a true vintage classic - like they don't make anymore. But that's its downfall too - it does feel a bit dated and out of place now, at least to me. It's weird to learn it was released in 1987 - it feels much older than that. And if this is "95% Patou PH Prive" - then I really don't get the hype for Patou Prive at all - maybe at $200-$300 a bottle, sure, for a bit of old school, super-vintage nostalgia, but $3000 for 90ml - no way in hell it's worth this much. Ma Liberté is good to very good (for a vintage, and if you like vintage fragrances) but it's no holy grail material, and by extension - completely killed my desire to seek Patou PH Prive, at any price point.
    Trust me, if you had ever smelled Privé, you'd kill to smell it again ;-). Did I mention I have mislaid five official sample vials of it? Can't find them for the life of me...

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by sproaty View Post
    middle-may.jpg

Salvador Dali - Salvador, EDT splash
    Dior - Jules, EDT spray
    Tiffany - Tiffany for Men, cologne spray
    Francesco Smalto - Smalto Pour Homme

Nice little haul there! Curious to know what you think of the Dali. I've almost pulled the trigger a number of times but never did. It shows up for very low prices sometimes. Have you tried the newer (2016) version of Jules? It's the only iteration I tried and I think it's fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Please do compare the two versions, I'm all ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Sounds promising! Eager to hear your SideBySide notes.
    Done! It was a really interesting exercise. Vintage and modern Yatagan are a lot more distinct than I expected, given all the comments about how good a job Caron did with the reform.

The modern version's still really enjoyable (so they did in fact do a nice job), but it's one of those situations where it's almost an entirely different scent, especially for the first few hours.

Antaeus is like that, too. All versions are good, but they have very distinct personalities.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Nice little haul there! Curious to know what you think of the Dali. I've almost pulled the trigger a number of times but never did. It shows up for very low prices sometimes. Have you tried the newer (2016) version of Jules? It's the only iteration I tried and I think it's fantastic.

I've not smelled the newer Jules, only gave this a single spray to my arm in the evening to test it after it had arrived Smelled great, survived through a shower too! I think I'll wear it tomorrow

The Dali - I think I expected a somewhat "fresher" scent (I'd forgotten the notes) but it was very enjoyable, leather and I didn't get too much from it note-wise, I dabbed on a touch to see if it smelled "faded" but it seemed in a good state. I'll decant some and spray it shortly

It is 125ml splash. They are a few of them around. I think cytherian has one too.
    The date based on batch would be feb 1990 - probably the first batch.
    Do you know the criterion for L'Egoiste instead of Egoiste? Was it a year thing or location?
    You mentioned that Egoiste was released in April 1990. Do you know if it was released under the name "L'Egoiste"? It's possible that the name change happened even before the official launch. (Have you seen any vintage ad materials for "L'Egoiste"?)

I was not under the impression that 125ml splash bottles were particularly rare. Less common than the 50ml and 100ml sprays, but still. I'd like to see one of the 250ml splashes in the flesh, just to get a sense of its heft.

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Congrats, pippin06! Aramis is seriously good stuff. Just recieved a vtg 8oz cologne splash. Totally addicted lol
    /martin
    Thank you, Marand75. Very much looking forward to receiving mine. Along with Pour Monsieur, aramis of old is my all time favorite fragrance. Enjoy, my friend, and long live aramis!

Quote Originally Posted by pippin06 View Post
    Thank you, Marand75. Very much looking forward to receiving mine. Along with Pour Monsieur, aramis of old is my all time favorite fragrance. Enjoy, my friend, and long live aramis!
    Thanks so much, compadre. Post 'em when you got 'em Would love to check them out. Yes, Aramis of old is indeed liquid gold.
    Regarding Pour Monsieur, I've only tried the Coty versions, unfortunately, which feels very synthetic and 'stuffy' on my skin, but would like to try vintage which I suspect would be a far far better composition (given that it's both original and pre-IFRA restriction-nonsense).
    And yes, my friend, long live 'the dirty gentleman'
    /martin
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé