Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Color of Vintage L'Heure Bleue extrait?

I found what might be a vintage bottle of L'Heure Bleue extrait, but I'm not sure. It's so bright yellow, almost fluorescent, that I first thought it had been emptied and filled with colored water. But then when I looked closer, it seemed to be sealed with a black thread. It's the bottle with the upside-down heart stopper, like Mitsouko also comes in. I wish I'd taken a picture but forgot to. Anyway, I'm hoping for some guidance as to whether I should try to get back and buy this. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Color of Vintage L'Heure Bleue extrait?

Mine are a very dark amber colour.
    As a rule of thumb, I'd say the darker the colour the older the juice.

I am no expert, but even new it is more of a golden color and I think that those bottles should have a gold tassle with a gold and black cord sealing it. The vintage versions I have seen are all significantly darker than you describe.....
    Striving still to Truth unknown

The big reformulation of L'Heure Bleue extrait happened some time in 2011/12 when also the colour of the juice changed to a bright yellow. It was more a golden amber before.

Missing Oakmoss

Mine is from the 1980s and it's a rich amber color - not bright yellow at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    The big reformulation of L'Heure Bleue extrait happened some time in 2011/12 when also the colour of the juice changed to a bright yellow. It was more a golden amber before.
    My sample of Pure Perfume (I believe that is the extrait version) was prepared in a flagship Guerlain store in mid 2012, and it is rich deep golden amber. Maybe they used an older bottle?

Basenotes Plus

I bet that's what I was looking at, even though it was being sold in an antique mall. Not quite antique, so next question is whether it's worth buying? I can't remember for sure but I think the price was about $35 (plus at least 10 hours drive time; found it on a trip). Is that version one worth seeking out?

Thanks for all your responses! I'm always grateful to see how many helpful folks there are here!

In fact, I had a bottle of then new extrait, which Guerlain exchanged into Vol de Nuit for me. To me L'Heure Bleue was ruined being flat, too polished, much too rounded off. The thrill of L'Heure Bleue has always been about the bittersweet anisic quality with heliotrope (-in) galore like cold-warm ambivalent.
    Personally, I'd buy something online from the golden-black boxed era, even if it was 'only' an EdT and see how you feel about it.

$35 is nothing - extraits (1oz) go for 10 times that. So if you happen to be there again (but don't drive for it), I think it's worth running the risk that a bottle has been filled with lemon scented floor cleaner (which sadly happens).

cacio

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    $35 is nothing - extraits (1oz) go for 10 times that. So if you happen to be there again (but don't drive for it), I think it's worth running the risk that a bottle has been filled with lemon scented floor cleaner (which sadly happens).

cacio
    Right, the bottle alone is worth at least that (assuming it's authentic).

Basenotes Plus

Thanks again! If I get back that way, I'll pick it up. I appreciate the advice!

- - - Updated - - -

In fact, I had a bottle of then new extrait, which Guerlain exchanged into Vol de Nuit for me. To me L'Heure Bleue was ruined being flat, too polished, much too rounded off. The thrill of L'Heure Bleue has always been about the bittersweet anisic quality with heliotrope (-in) galore like cold-warm ambivalent.
    Personally, I'd buy something online from the golden-black boxed era, even if it was 'only' an EdT and see how you feel about it.
    I do have a mini EDT although I'm not sure how old as it doesn't have its box. It is a much redder amber color, and if the large bottle had looked like that I'd have bought it without question.

I love heliotrope. I think it's a main note in what was my signature fragrance in high school, Dana's Ambush. To me, it's a happy note; I don't know whether anyone else would agree or if it's just personal association.

I guess heliotrope is probably more a minor chord to most. But wearing HB makes me definitely happy.
    Have you tried that heliotrope bomb, Jarling?

+1 I have a 1960s bottle of extrait that still smells divine, and it is indeed a golden amber colour.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess heliotrope is probably more a minor chord to most. But wearing HB makes me definitely happy.
    I cannot tell you how many times I have heard people say that L'Heure Bleue is a melancholy fragrance, but I do not agree. It is simply gorgeous and very elegant.
    After women, flowers are the most lovely thing God has given the world.

Christian Dior
    Currently wearing: Rare Rubies by Avon

Basenotes Plus

I haven't; thanks for the suggestion!

As for the overall feel of the perfume, I guess it's the Guerlain soft focus, plus the heliotrope and iris. But I agree that Apres l'ondee is much more melancholy than HB.

Anyway, thanks to this thread, I decided to wear my vintage HB edt

Quote Originally Posted by Toujours Mink View Post
    I found what might be a vintage bottle of L'Heure Bleue extrait, but I'm not sure. It's so bright yellow, almost fluorescent, that I first thought it had been emptied and filled with colored water. But then when I looked closer, it seemed to be sealed with a black thread. It's the bottle with the upside-down heart stopper, like Mitsouko also comes in. I wish I'd taken a picture but forgot to. Anyway, I'm hoping for some guidance as to whether I should try to get back and buy this. Thanks in advance!
    L'Heure Bleue is beautiful, but be aware that Guerlain extraits are not sealed with black thread, the cords are beige-gold. It might be just a decorative refilled bottle.
    Currently wearing: Bandit by Robert Piguet

I agree. I have never seen a Guerlain sealed with black cord.
    After women, flowers are the most lovely thing God has given the world.

Christian Dior
    Currently wearing: Rare Rubies by Avon

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    L'Heure Bleue is beautiful, but be aware that Guerlain extraits are not sealed with black thread, the cords are beige-gold. It might be just a decorative refilled bottle.
    Ah, that's the kind of info I need, too! I'm getting more suspicious now. If I get back there, I'll take a closer look but am much less inclined to buy it knowing this. Thank you!

Basenotes Plus

Thanks to all the wonderfully helpful folks on this thread. My sweet husband (enabler) took me back this past weekend, as it was only a half hour out of the way on our trip back from his hometown. So I discovered three things I'd missed the first time.

First, the bottle was sealed with the goldy-beige cord from Guerlain. Second, the price was $65, not $35, for an ounce. But finally, a careful look at the bottom of the bottle revealed the hand-engraved word "dummy". That's about what I felt like, for missing that the first time. Anyway, I left it there and bought a dozen assorted minis for $3 each instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Toujours Mink View Post
    Thanks to all the wonderfully helpful folks on this thread. My sweet husband (enabler) took me back this past weekend, as it was only a half hour out of the way on our trip back from his hometown. So I discovered three things I'd missed the first time.

First, the bottle was sealed with the goldy-beige cord from Guerlain. Second, the price was $65, not $35, for an ounce. But finally, a careful look at the bottom of the bottle revealed the hand-engraved word "dummy". That's about what I felt like, for missing that the first time. Anyway, I left it there and bought a dozen assorted minis for $3 each instead.
    All's well that ends well. Phew! At least you'll no longer be wondering about what might have been ...

Factices are terrible traps: nice bottles that look like they contain lovely vintage perfume but will bring the unwary perfumista down to earth with a bump. I hate them.