Code of Conduct
o

Default Solvent for room spray?

Hi there,

I´m just about to start experimenting with my first room spray. I found a lot of information about solvents for reed diffusers but not for room sprays. Are DPG, IPM or Dowanol the way to go as solvent for a room spray? I would like to use the final product in a perfume bottle out of glass with a normal spraypump that is also used for regular perfumes. Can that be a problem if not adding a large amount of alcohol, clogging etc? I understand the usual concentration for a room spray is around 1-5%, but I will try until I find the appropriate concentration.

Any other thoughts or input about alcohol or distilled water in a room spray? I rather not use to much of the alcohol due to dangerous goods regulations.

I would be glad if someone could help me out, I will place my solvent order asap and take it from there.

All the best

M

Default Re: Solvent for room spray?

Wouldn't this be better placed in the Home Fragrance forum?

http://www.basenotes.net/forums/77-Home-Fragrance

I even suspect that this type of question has already been answered there.

Hi Filousoph,

I´ve gone through hundreds of posts in the home fragrance forum but I have found nothing. It´s probably there somewhere though. But I´ll change to the home fragrance forum and hope for better luck.

Thank you.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Manshigo View Post
    Hi there,

I´m just about to start experimenting with my first room spray. I found a lot of information about solvents for reed diffusers but not for room sprays. Are DPG, IPM or Dowanol the way to go as solvent for a room spray? I would like to use the final product in a perfume bottle out of glass with a normal spraypump that is also used for regular perfumes. Can that be a problem if not adding a large amount of alcohol, clogging etc? I understand the usual concentration for a room spray is around 1-5%, but I will try until I find the appropriate concentration.

Any other thoughts or input about alcohol or distilled water in a room spray? I rather not use to much of the alcohol due to dangerous goods regulations.

I would be glad if someone could help me out, I will place my solvent order asap and take it from there.

All the best

M
    Alcohol is a good solvent for room sprays, but if you want to avoid that in order to keep the finished product non-flammable then you’re going to have to look at one of two option:

1) Water-based sprays. These can work well, but you’ll need solubilisers such as Polysorbate 20 and some effective preservatives to ensure it doesn’t become a biological hazard. If you keep a minimum of about 20% ethanol in it then preservatives can be avoided. Water based sprays can have foaming problems and because the water is heavy and non-volatile they don’t disperse into the air as well as ethanol based sprays.

2) MMB based sprays. This can also work well, requires no solubilisers, and although it’s heavier than ethanol so the spray isn’t quite as fine and tends to sink to the ground faster, it’s much lighter and more volatile than water. If you include 10% water in the blend you get a completely non-burnable mixture (no measurable flashpoint) so in that sense it’s very safe. It’s important to keep MMB out of eyes as it will certainly sting (though no more so than ethanol, I’m not sure whether it has more potential to cause damage), and it isn’t self-preserving so you’d need to include either ethanol or another preservative.

I don’t recommend DPG or any of the other usual perfumery solvents for room-sprays as they basically won’t spray.
    Battle cries and champagne just in time for sunrise..”
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

Fine fragrances hand made in The Shire
    Quality perfume making ingredients
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume
    If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog for more info about perfumes and perfumery.

Ouff! That´s more information than I could ever hope for Mr Bartlett, much appreciated. I´m very interested in how the larger brands handle and ship their room sprays if they are flammable? It must be such an expensive product to deal with sending it to retailers and/or customers.

Happy Sunday and thank you Chris!

Ouff! That´s more information than I could ever hope for Mr Bartlett, much appreciated. I´m very interested in how the larger brands handle and ship their room sprays if they are flammable? It must be such an expensive product to deal with sending it to retailers and/or customers.

Happy Sunday and thank you Chris!
    On shipping there are two answers to that:
    1) shipping flammable stuff on a big scale is, strangely enough, much easier than on a small scale: you simply use a hazmat courier. You have to pay more and there are packing rules to comply with etc but essentially you can ship anything anywhere as long as you and your parcel are big enough to justify the extra expense. The difference between sending a pallet of perfumes and a pallet of water-based products is about £50 or so - trivial when divided by the number of bottles on a pallet. But to send just a few bottles as an amateur producers is nearly impossible and prohibitively expensive ... such is the nature of safety regulations!

2) a lot of commercial room sprays are water based, with heavy use of preservatives to keep them from going off: that also makes them very cheap to produce in bulk but again it’s easier if you’re producing a lot because all the extra cost of testing is spread over a very large number of sales.

Happy Sunday to you too :-)
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for

Like most things in our material world quantity is rewarded. Perhaps we will see a society where quality and small qualities are in focus in the future.

Could BHT be a good preservative for a water based room spray?

Like most things in our material world quantity is rewarded. Perhaps we will see a society where quality and small qualities are in focus in the future.

Could BHT be a good preservative for a water based room spray?
    Indeed!

BHT is an antioxidant but not a preservative: I'm afraid preservatives are not my area of expertise. If you're on Facebook there's a group I'm involved in on making cosmetics that has useful information on the subject though.
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett

I guess I´m the last person out there not using Facebook. I did but not anymore :|

Thank you once more for all the help Chris.

Holy crap! That is fab Chris, I see you have MMB at Pell Wall. I have to order some soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Indeed!

BHT is an antioxidant but not a preservative: I'm afraid preservatives are not my area of expertise. If you're on Facebook there's a group I'm involved in on making cosmetics that has useful information on the subject though.
    Try a mixture of parabens in some solvent (phenonip). They are super cheap and super effective and stable. Can't beat them.

Interesting Mr Tedder, I thought parabens was something one should watch out for. But I will research it. Thank you.