Code of Conduct

Default Habit Rouge L`Eau Guerlain for someone in his early 20s

Hello. What do you people think about Habit Rouge L`Eau Guerlain for someone who is in his early 20s? Does it have an old-fashioned smell? I will probably get a sample soon, but I am excited!

Default Re: Habit Rouge L`Eau Guerlain for someone in his early 20s

Welcome to basenotes.

If you compare it to the original Habit Rouge then it smells like it has been stripped down and streamlined for the modern day. It's one of my most favourite fragrances though you have to be ok with floral's. As this fragrance has a airy dominant Jasmine accord which smells very nice, one of the few jasmine dominant scents that a man of any age can easily wear.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

Quote Originally Posted by perf.mango View Post
    I will probably get a sample soon, but I am excited!
    Let me know what it's like. I was about to blind buy it several times but gave up each time. I don't like the EDT, I'm kind of ok with the EDP and I like Dress Code. But from what I read L'eau is closest to the EDT.

Thank you! Hmm, is the scent similar to Mugler Cologne? Because it has white flowers as well, and I don't like that much because it reminds me of old soaps.

Welcome! From an honest, albeit personal viewpoint, not perceiving this fragrance as too dated, heavy or otherwise inappropriate to be worn by a man in his twenties- not extremely old-fashioned beyond the ability to suit almost any age group.
    Currently wearing: Black Tag Intense by Zara

It's nothing like Mugler Cologne, here is my review from the directory which breaks down what the scent smells like:

On the opening you get a very soft and smooth cream like orange citrus note. After a while a airy jasmine note appears and seems to dominate the heart of the fragrance.

In the dry-down the unsweet cream like vanilla takes over with hints of patchouli, woods, musk and a watery note. All in all this fragrance lasts five hours with average projection.

This scent is very nice indeed and the notes are woven very subtlety within the soft and smooth olfactory tapestry.

The drydown is especially good as it seems to morph on your skin. One moment when you sniff yourself up close you smell the orange and musk, other times the jasmine and slight woods.

A worthy fragrance which I would classify as a citrus floral oriental making it perfect to wear anytime and anywhere.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

I hate this one. It smells old....for everybody that has an old soul.
    Last edited by ladida; 25th September 2016 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ladida View Post
    I hate this one. It smells old....for everybody that has an old soul.
    What do you think about the aforementioned Dress Code from Guerlain?

What do you think about the aforementioned Dress Code from Guerlain?
    I haven't tried it. After trying Guerlain Homme, LIDG, LIDGE, HR, HR L'Eau, and HR Sport, I knew I'm not a Guerlain fan at all.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Hello. What do you people think about Habit Rouge L`Eau Guerlain for someone who is in his early 20s?
    I think they'd be perfectly fine.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Perfect for your age.

My random thoughts...
    If you think Mugler Cologne smells old, HR L'Eau might also smell old to you.
    I don't think HR L'Eau smells particularly old.
    Then again, I love the original HR EdT so I have some tolerance for scents that others might perceive as old.
    The Dress Code flanker does smell relatively more youthful to me, because it's sweeter, but it's also a heavier scent, better suited for cold weather IMO whereas L'Eau has better seasonal versatility and works fine in warmer weather.
    Even though I enjoy the line (have yet to smell HR Sport though) I don't think there's anything among HR & flankers that I'd call a safe blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    My random thoughts...
    If you think Mugler Cologne smells old, HR L'Eau might also smell old to you.
    I don't think HR L'Eau smells particularly old.
    Then again, I love the original HR EdT so I have some tolerance for scents that others might perceive as old.
    The Dress Code flanker does smell relatively more youthful to me, because it's sweeter, but it's also a heavier scent, better suited for cold weather IMO whereas L'Eau has better seasonal versatility and works fine in warmer weather.
    Even though I enjoy the line (have yet to smell HR Sport though) I don't think there's anything among HR & flankers that I'd call a safe blind buy.
    Thank you for the post. Well, there is only one way to figure it out... I will have to order a sample.
    I will let you guys know.

I just turned 28, and I think L'Eau is good stuff, and I wore regular Habit Rouge in my early 20s if that is worth anything.

As always I recommend sampling before buying, because I doubt all people are as lucky with blind buys as I am
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”

Quote Originally Posted by ladida View Post
    I haven't tried it. After trying Guerlain Homme, LIDG, LIDGE, HR, HR L'Eau, and HR Sport, I knew I'm not a Guerlain fan at all.
    Friendship request sent...

I'm a very young (some would say immature!) 31 year old and this suits me perfectly, it's not "old world" as the original conveys so beautifully. Definite crowd pleaser and very versatile.

This discussion sparked my interesest in this fragrance again. I ordered a bottle; should arrive tomorrow.
    I'm expecting appeal factor between the EDP and Dress Code. I hope it's not close to that dated feel of the EDT as I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by espresso. View Post
    This discussion sparked my interesest in this fragrance again. I ordered a bottle; should arrive tomorrow.
    I'm expecting appeal factor between the EDP and Dress Code. I hope it's not close to that dated feel of the EDT as I don't like it.
    Wow, please let me know of the results.

What dates HR EdT for most is probably the powdery dry astringent citrus opening, whereas L'Eau is softer and lacks that certain bitterness.
    I decided to make L'Eau my SOTD since I hadn't worn it in a few months. Lighter and fresher than the original, softer citrus, with a significant jasmine note, also getting the patchouli and vanilla, good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    I decided to make L'Eau my SOTD since I hadn't worn it in a few months. Lighter and fresher than the original, softer citrus, with a significant jasmine note, also getting the patchouli and vanilla, good stuff.
    How was the performance? How many hours of projection do you get from it?

Wow, please let me know of the results.
    It's funny how I asked you to let me know a few days ago and now I'm letting you know.
    L'eau is very light. It smells like a lemonade with florals. What Eau Tres Fraiche is to the original Terre d'Hermes, L'eau is to Habit Rouge EDT.
    Totally wearable anytime, especially in the summer. It is radiant but not cloying. The sillage is very light. In the opening you'll recognize the citrus note from the EDT, but it's very toned down. Instantly, I get lemonade feeling from this fragrance. First impression: I'm very pleased. It's a pleasant light scent.

How was the performance? How many hours of projection do you get from it?

It's funny how I asked you to let me know a few days ago and now I'm letting you know.
    L'eau is very light. It smells like a lemonade with florals. What Eau Tres Fraiche is to the original Terre d'Hermes, L'eau is to Habit Rouge EDT.
    Totally wearable anytime, especially in the summer. It is radiant but not cloying. The sillage is very light. In the opening you'll recognize the citrus note from the EDT, but it's very toned down. Instantly, I get lemonade feeling from this fragrance. First impression: I'm very pleased. It's a pleasant light scent.
    Does it smell dated? So the citrusy/lemonade smell is dominating? I don't usually like citrus scents, they smell cheap and boring. Is it the case with this one?

The citrus is prominent only in the opening; it gets floral and mellow later. But it's not a lemony/citrusy lemonade, I used the word lemonade to describe the overall feeling I got. Just order a sample, it's definitely sample worthy
    I think it isn't dated at all. It definitely isn't nearly as dated as the EDT or EDP.
    Last edited by espresso.; 29th September 2016 at 11:57 AM.

The citrus is prominent only in the opening; it gets floral and mellow later. But it's not a lemony/citrusy lemonade, I used the word lemonade to describe the overall feeling I got. Just order a sample, it's definitely sample worthy
    I think it isn't dated at all. It definitely isn't nearly as dated as the EDT or EDP.
    Thank you for your answer. So it seems like this thread resulted in you having a product you like. Awesome!
    I couldn't find a sample at the local store, so I will probably have to order it, but it's gonna take days, now that it's Thursday. :/

Have you tried it yet? I've been wearing it since maybe 2014 or 2013, when I was about 24 or so. I always say you shouldn't choose a fragrance by how "dated" it feels, just by what you're in the mood for. HRL is smooth and airy, not old-smelling at all. After the opening there's little to no resemblance to the original Habit Rouge in my opinion. That's why I love HRL but can't stand the original.

It kind of feels like a mature sports fragrance to me. So I think it could fit someone in their 20's, as a sort of alternative to the typical sports fragrances that are out there. For some reason I imagine young doctors wearing this one. I think it's great, btw and like to wear it in the spring.

The first time I wore it I felt it was a bit old-fashioned. Then, I wore it again and that feeling was gone. I really like this one, and it's versatile enough that I can wear it in pretty much every situation.

I agree with Jack Hunter Habit Rouge L'eau and Mugler Cologne are nothing alike, but also with ScottW in that if Mugler Cologne smells old to you, so will L'eau.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by imonfire View Post
    The first time I wore it I felt it was a bit old-fashioned.
    Quite a few people feel this way when they try it for the first time.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I think the old-fashioned feeling may come from the opening which is the only point where it's even remotely comparable to the original HR in my opinion--the bright kind of oily/waxy citrus peel scent. Once that fades off, the jasmine is creamy, nutty, and airy and unrecognizable as HR to me.

I think L'Eau is my favorite iteration of Habit Rouge, despite its relative simplicity. It's not nearly as luxurious as Dress Code, and I also enjoy Sport, but L'Eau executes very well. I would say that yes, it has maybe just a touch of an older, traditional smell, something about the way the citrus combines with the powder. I'd be lying if I said this smells completely modern. However, it also has some more modern nuances like this great, clean and clear jasmine accord that is more or less central to the composition, and a smooth hazelnut accent around the edges. L'Eau loses the heavier elements of Habit Rouge, as well as some of the "fancier" elements (leather, rose, carnation) and maintains the powdery, vanilla-infused citrus, and as a result it smells more modern, and I find it a lot easier to wear. Does it smell like a NEW fragrance? Not in the sense that it reflects the myriad of choices currently available on the counter at your local Macy's. It's not a woody-tonka ambroxan laced sweet, spicy fresh fragrance. And it's not a "blue" scent either. This is a good thing, as it's more distinct than these. But it definitely feels updated, and more modern than the original.

If you like Dior Homme Sport (2012) or Guerlain Homme, and enjoy the powdered-citrus of Habit Rouge, I'd say there's a good chance you'll like this as well. But that's just a guess, so take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 28th January 2017 at 03:43 PM.