Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Has anyone tried "Peau d'Ailleurs" by Phillipe Starck perfumes?

A friend of mine got a sample of this EDT with a recent purchase from Neiman Marcus, and I was instantly interested when I saw that the sample box listed Annick Menardo as the parfumeur. I've liked a lot of her stuff. The first blast on my arm was pleasant, a soft, woody vetiver. But I was shocked when, within 30 minutes, it turned into a nearly exact copy of Sycomore.

I was home within 90 minutes and rushed to apply some Sycomore (EdT) to compare it to. But by the time I did, the Peau d'Ailleurs was completely gone from my arm. Vanished.

Although there's a house page for Starck Perfumes here on BN, none of their three scents are in the directory. I did find them on Fragrantica, along with 3 reviews of PdA, none of which were revealing, except for one tester who found it "like woods, rich, fresh, damp soil, with a very light, vegetable-like zing to it. [with]..just a pinch of organic sweetness." I got no soil or sweetness from it, just woods and vetiver. I do like the name, which apparently means "Besides Skin".

Starck won't list any notes for their scents, just a lot of hypey gobbledygook about voyages and stories. And I can't find any (English-language) blogs that aren't just regurgitations of press releases.

Has anyone else smelled this? Or either of their other two scents? (One of which is by Dominique Ropion.)

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Has anyone tried "Peau d'Ailleurs" by Phillipe Starck perfumes?

Need to check this brand out at Nieman Marcus tomorrow as it was unknown to me. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Need to check this brand out at Nieman Marcus tomorrow.
    Hope you'll check back in here with your thoughts after you do, hednic. I'm esp. curious to know if you see the Sycomore/d'Ailleurs similarity.

(And gosh, if this brand's unknown to YOU, it must be pretty damned obscure!)

I've smelled it. It had an interesting mineralic almost metallic smell. Reminded me a bit in feel to CdG Artek Standard (but not in smell). It wasn't reminiscent of Sycomore to me, which is very smoky.

Basenotes Plus

The bottles are beautiful

"A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: Bang by Marc Jacobs

I'm surprised you haven't heard of Philippe Starck. He's been one of the biggest product designers, in Europe, for decades. Everything from watches, chairs and lamps to coins. He even did a range for Target (USA) about 20yrs ago...I bought a calculator, a sonic tooth flosser and a hairdryer (had to buy a currency converter for the hairdryer and managed to break it after about 30secs.)

That said, I had no idea he'd created fragrances now, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    I'm surprised you haven't heard of Philippe Starck. He's been one of the biggest product designers, in Europe, for decades. Everything from watches, chairs and lamps to coins. He even did a range for Target (USA) about 20yrs ago...I bought a calculator, a sonic tooth flosser and a hairdryer (had to buy a currency converter for the hairdryer and managed to break it after about 30secs.)

That said, I had no idea he'd created fragrances now, too.
    Yep, super prolific designer and known for some pretty famous hotel interiors around the world. I had one of his toothbrushes in the early 90's. . And yes, those bottles are gorgeous! Need to try these!

I did happen to try this one and it was very pleasant - a nice mix of woody and musky notes. The others from the house were also pleasant.
    Last edited by hednic; 11th December 2016 at 02:21 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Nouveau Nez View Post
    Yep, super prolific designer and known for some pretty famous hotel interiors around the world. I had one of his toothbrushes in the early 90's. . And yes, those bottles are gorgeous! Need to try these!
    Yes, it's the hotel interiors I know him for most. Had no idea about the fragrance line though, I'd certainly be up for a sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nouveau Nez View Post
    Yup The hotels were always full of his designs for Flos and Kartell. Also, an honourable mention must be made for his iconic Alessi citrus juicer.

Just remembered, I even have Starck luggage from a Samsonite collaboration.

They smell awfully cheap. All three smell as a cheap soap. A musk + chemicals. The type of fragrances that I immediately want to wash off.

Sycomore? That's a joke.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    They smell awfully cheap. All three smell as a cheap soap. A musk + chemicals. The type of fragrances that I immediately want to wash off.

Sycomore? That's a joke.
    That's disappointing to hear. I guess it's just another bandwagon line.

Sycomore? That's a joke.
    Sounds like a case of style over substance, what a shame.

Basenotes Plus

Robin from Now Smell This reviewed one of them here: http://www.nstperfume.com/2016/11/18...grance-review/
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Thanks for the link.

Basenotes Plus

I must say that trio from the coffret do look like a piece of modern art. The juice inside may say something else though.
    Currently wearing: Diaghilev by Roja Dove

Smelled these again today and I do like the masculine and unisex ones of the trio enough that I think I might pick them early next week.
    Last edited by hednic; 11th December 2016 at 02:23 PM.

And I thought that looking at the bottles alone would have sufficiently indicated all of the above...

My grandson just picked up the two I was interested in, so it saved me a trip.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I think the bottles look tacky and unattractive.
    Currently wearing: Aqua Amara by Bulgari

Basenotes Plus

A musk + chemicals. The type of fragrances that I immediately want to wash off.

Sycomore? That's a joke.
    Sadly, I have to retract my Sycomore comparison and agree with you, AntonPan. My friend who procured the Peau d'Ailleurs sample bought the whole 3-bottle coffret, and I got to test each one extensively. The most kindly assessment would have to be "Less than impressive". Light musks + soapy chemicals would be about right. And not one of the 3 lasted more than 90 minutes on skin. More perfume for people who don't want to smell like they're wearing perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I think the bottles look tacky and unattractive.
    From the photos, I thought I'd like the arty look of the bottles, but when you pick them up, the oblong plastic tops are so flimsy and thin that they feel like they're going to break just from you pressing on the release button.

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    I'm surprised you haven't heard of Philippe Starck. He's been one of the biggest product designers, in Europe, for decades. .
    Since I don't get to many posh hotels, all I knew was his housewares and his clever Louis Ghost chair. Once again we learn the lesson that wit and/or good taste in another field doesn't necessarily translate into the perfume arena.

Basenotes Plus

Smelled them (on tester strips) in Neiman's in Los Angeles. Was only mildly impressed by one of them - they seem very uninspiring.

-- D. Elton Trueblood