Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Vintage perfumes you don't own, never tried and wish to put your hands on

Are there any vintage fragrances that you have never tried but you desperately looking for?
    The reasons of wanting to get them are not the point of this thread, just name the 5 vintages you would love to own.
    My list of five for the time being:

Casaque, Louis Vermeil
    Gres Monsieur
    Jedi, Guerlain
    Deep forest, Bogner
    L' Origan, Coty

P.S
    Please name just 5 perfumes

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Vintage perfumes you don't own, never tried and wish to put your hands on

Herbe Marine by Creed

(MM - Have large bottles of the first two in your list)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Vintage perfumes you don't own, never tried and wish to put your hands on

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Herbe Marine by Creed

(MM - Have large bottles of the first two in your list)
    Lucky you
    What do you think of them Hednic?

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    Lucky you
    What do you think of them Hednic?
    I especially like the JLV. Very masculine classic powerhouse. For the longest time, decades back i had been searching for a large spray but only encountered minis or large splashes. Then one day out of the blue when I wasn't looking specifically for it, I stumbled upon one in the NYC Wholesale Fragrance District and snatched it quickly. It was on a dusty back shelf in a tiny store untouched and new in box for probably a long time.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I especially like the JLV. Very masculine classic powerhouse. For the longest time, decades back i had been searching for a large spray but only encountered minis or large splashes. Then one day out of the blue when I wasn't looking specifically for it, I stumbled upon one in the NYC Wholesale Fragrance District and snatched it quickly. It was on a dusty back shelf in a tiny store untouched and new in box for probably a long time.
    Good for you . I wasn't expecting something else.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I'm not desperately looking, but I'd be happy to try vintage versions of these five:

Guerlain Vega
    Patou 1000
    Chanel No. 5
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Chanel Bois des Iles

Ungaro Ombre de la Nuit
    Estée Lauder Metropolis
    Capucci "Quartet" (Corps Fou, Hypnose, Jour d'Ete, Sang Royal) (I know it's four, but I mean the presentation box with 4X25ml ceramic bottles.)
    Last edited by noitsnotme; 13th October 2016 at 04:39 PM.

M7 would be nice to check out.
    Currently wearing: Bracken Man by Amouage

Generally my approach is, if I've never tried it, I'm happy to spare myself the anguish of not owning it. There is one exception though: Djedi.

I wouldn't say I'm desperate to own them, but I would be fascinated to smell some of the original releases from Guerlain and Chanel from back in the 20s through to the 60s just to see how different they were and to experience just how much perfumery has changed over the decades compared to the present day.

Always be smelling

original Heritage EDP
    Original Coty Chypre
    Original Fougere Royal
    Original Mitsouko EDP
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I'm not desperately looking, but I'd be happy to try vintage versions of these five:

Guerlain Vega
    Patou 1000
    Chanel No. 5
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Chanel Bois des Iles
    I have tried all of these except for the Bois des Iles and none of them were the truly amazing things I'd expected. (I know it's heresy, but i actually like the current CdR better than the vintage.)

Patou 1000 was pretty great, but simply not worth the $$$ required for the vintage extrait (which is my drug of choice).
    Currently wearing: 1000 by Jean Patou

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Iquitos - Alain Delon
    Witness - Jacques Bogart
    Chypre - Coty
    Djedi - Guerlain
    Iris Gris - Jacques Fath

Okay, I have more than 5

Shocking (and Snuff) - Elsa Schiaparelli
    Maccassar - Rochas
    Bois de Vetiver - Jacques Bogart

And for one that is more recent, but damn hard to find without paying an arm & a leg that I've been obsessing over for a few years:

Jil Sander Man Absolute - Jil Sander

^ It's probably my most desired to try, if not tied with Iquitos.

I'd like to try the "greats" in their original formulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    I have tried all of these except for the Bois des Iles and none of them were the truly amazing things I'd expected. (I know it's heresy, but i actually like the current CdR better than the vintage.)

Patou 1000 was pretty great, but simply not worth the $$$ required for the vintage extrait (which is my drug of choice).
    This is good news because I have no expectation of getting to smell any of them. I imagine older versions of No.5, Bois des Iles, and Cuir de Russie being animalic beauties. The version of Vega I have tried is the 2004 re-release (which has since been discontinued, and it's hard to imagine an older version being better, but I wouldn't mind checking).

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Bigsly, would you please tell us which "greats" you are referring to?

- Guerlain Derby
    - Patou pour homme
    - Guerlain Vetiver (pre-2000 version)
    - Gucci pour homme (1976 version)
    - Esencia Loewe (90's version)

Among others........
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Snuff - Elsa Schiaparelli
    You should really sample this...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Agree - love to sniff some of those greats of the past in their original formulations...

My list of vintages to try (& own) - basically most Guerlains that are discontinued & which I haven't sampled starting with Djedi & (Guerlain's) Cuir de Russie...
    Also:
    Rochas Macassar
    Green Water

So many more...
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Perhaps, but not limited to, in no particular order:

vintage Gucci 1976, Creed Vintage Tabarome, vintage Dior Jules, vintage Kolnisch Juchten/Russisch Leder, Ungaro I.

Dying to try Ava Luve Midnight Violet and the name escapes me but the one that was pulled from circulation and bulldozed after after all the bottles leaked or something along those lines (if thats indeed a true story about "the greatest perfume ever"). Also now I'm curious about this Djedi.

The list became shorter

Casaque, Louis Vermeil

L' Origan, Coty

It seems this thread brought you good luck. And l'origan isn't that difficult to find in more recent formulations - not as good as the original parfum, but they give an idea. (And if you live in the US, there is an inexpensive face powder of the same name at Walmart which gives a distant impression of it).

As for me, thanks to a few visits to the Osmotheque I have smelled many things, and I wish I owned them! Among those that I have not smelled at all, I am curious about the Rallet Bouquet de Catherine/no 1 - just to see what the no 5 controversy was about.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    It seems this thread brought you good luck. And l'origan isn't that difficult to find in more recent formulations - not as good as the original parfum, but they give an idea. (And if you live in the US, there is an inexpensive face powder of the same name at Walmart which gives a distant impression of it).

As for me, thanks to a few visits to the Osmotheque I have smelled many things, and I wish I owned them! Among those that I have not smelled at all, I am curious about the Rallet Bouquet de Catherine/no 1 - just to see what the no 5 controversy was about.

cacio
    Yes it did.
    I will have to visit the Osmotheque...someday

Guerlain Vega
    Patou 1000
    Chanel No. 5
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Chanel Bois des Iles
    Patou 1000 - I just scored a decant!

Chanel No. 5 - I scored a mini parfum, circa 1980, and have another vintage sample on hand, edt I think, that I haven't tried yet!

Chanel Cuir de Russie - I scored a sample of circa 1970s edt, and my experience, Starblind, if you're reading, was that it was amazing - the best thing ever. I like modern versions of Cuir de Russie, and I was sampling modern edt and parfum during the same period as the vintage edt, but the civet (and other animalics?) in the vintage made it one of my favorite sampling experiences.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    Yes it did.
    I will have to visit the Osmotheque...someday
    Good luck is better than no luck, or so I'm told. Congrats!

Patou 1000 - I just scored a decant!

Chanel No. 5 - I scored a mini parfum, circa 1980, and have another vintage sample on hand, edt I think, that I haven't tried yet!

Chanel Cuir de Russie - I scored a sample of circa 1970s edt, and my experience, Starblind, if you're reading, was that it was amazing - the best thing ever. I like modern versions of Cuir de Russie, and I was sampling modern edt and parfum during the same period as the vintage edt, but the civet (and other animalics?) in the vintage made it one of my favorite sampling experiences.
    That is excellent progress if I've ever seen it, glad to see you smitten with Cuir de Russie. Even the modern EdT did things to me, it sounds like the 70's version might blow a fuse.
    Now if we can just get some Vega into your hands...

Iquitos - Alain Delon
    Witness - Jacques Bogart
    Chypre - Coty
    Djedi - Guerlain
    Iris Gris - Jacques Fath

Okay, I have more than 5

Shocking (and Snuff) - Elsa Schiaparelli
    Maccassar - Rochas
    Bois de Vetiver - Jacques Bogart

And for one that is more recent, but damn hard to find without paying an arm & a leg that I've been obsessing over for a few years:

Jil Sander Man Absolute - Jil Sander

^ It's probably my most desired to try, if not tied with Iquitos.
    I suppose I've had luck, in picking up Jil Sander Man Absolute for a reasonable price. Yet, it still sits sealed in cellophane, so I guess I didn't desire trying it as strongly as I imagined. I think I just wanted to own it, which is foolish.

Good luck is better than no luck, or so I'm told. Congrats!

That is excellent progress if I've ever seen it, glad to see you smitten with Cuir de Russie. Even the modern EdT did things to me, it sounds like the 70's version might blow a fuse.
    Now if we can just get some Vega into your hands...

I suppose I've had luck, in picking up Jil Sander Man Absolute for a reasonable price. Yet, it still sits sealed in cellophane, so I guess I didn't desire trying it as strongly as I imagined. I think I just wanted to own it, which is foolish.

Thanks Superman.
    No, it isn't foolish, it's our addiction....Been there too...

Guerlain Vega
    Guerlain Sous Le Vent
    Schiaparelli Shocking
    Dior Eau Fraiche
    Dior Dior
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Silk Blossom by Jo Malone

Basenotes Junkie Miss Hesta Jones's Avatar

Guerlain Après l'Ondee in original parfum format
    Original Mitsouko (the 1980s parfum I have is pretty good)
    Coty Chypre
    Vintage Balmain Vent Vert
    Vintage Chanel Cuir de Russie

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
    “Art is a lie that tells the truth” - Pablo Picasso

I'd love to get my hands on these someday in the future:

Shiseido Nombre Noir Extrait
    Coty Chypre
    Balmain Jolie Madame
    Armani Prive La Femme Bleue (ok, it may not be an old vintage as it's from 2011, but it's discontinued and I loved it ages ago when I tested it - an obscure, future classic for sure)
    Guerlain Shalimar or Samsara, (can't decide; The Classic vs. The Real Monty Sandalwood-Wise)

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    Armani Prive La Femme Bleue (ok, it may not be an old vintage as it's from 2011, but it's discontinued and I loved it ages ago when I tested it - an obscure, future classic for sure)
    It's a great one and as it ceased to be produced forever- surely vintage.