Code of Conduct

Question Trying to create woody fresh perfume.

I'm very new with perfumes and I'm trying to make my first perfume.
    I want to do it woody and fresh style of Dolce&Gabbana Pour Homme.
    I tried several mixtures, but they were not good.
    I learned about perfumes, but I still don't know what proportions of the oils should be.
    Does anyone have an idea for starting point?

I have these fragrances:
    Patchouli, Amyris, Cedarwood, Musk(Fragrance Oil), Amber(Fragrance Oil), Black Pepper, Geranium, Jasmine(5%), Cinnamon, Sage, Clary Sage, Neroli(5%), Bergamot, Mandarin, Orange, Lemon, Lavender.

Thanks.

Default Re: Trying to create woody fresh perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGHHH View Post
    I have these fragrances:
    Patchouli, Amyris, Cedarwood, Musk(Fragrance Oil), Amber(Fragrance Oil), Black Pepper, Geranium, Jasmine(5%), Cinnamon, Sage, Clary Sage, Neroli(5%), Bergamot, Mandarin, Orange, Lemon, Lavender.

Thanks.
    I hate to say it, but it would be near impossible to use only these to recreate any commercial fragrance .,,,

Quote Originally Posted by George Tedder View Post
    I hate to say it, but it would be near impossible to use only these to recreate any commercial fragrance .,,,
    What about something amateurish? (Not Recreating)

Basenotes Junkie

What about something amateurish? (Not Recreating)
    I think you are able to create nice scents with these ingredients, but it won't have aspects found in perfumes, like a nice developing curve from top through heart to base notes; and amplifying aspects and sparkles, that come typically with the use of aroma chemicals.

I might have some suggestions and easy steps to follow for you:

1: it will take time, there are no shortcuts.
    2: no shortcuts! ;-)
    3: dilute your ingredients to 10% (10% oil, 90% perfumers alcohol); this will be far easier to experiment with in small trials
    4: start making 2 and 3 ingredient diluted-drop-based experiments (like 1 drop patchouli, 3 drops bergamot, 1 drop orange; and 1 drop patchouli, 5 drops bergamot and 2 drops orange and compare) And substitute patchouli with musk or cederwood in previous experiment and compare. And add a drop of Black pepper to all these 6 experiments and compare.
    5: compare and evaluate your fresh brew after 5 minutes, 1 hour, 8 hours, 24 hours and 48 hours: make notes, lots of notes, what you think you smell; whats good and bad in each stage
    6: compare and evaluate the matured brews (after some 3 to 7 days) on a blotter strip directly, after 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 3 hour, 5 hours and 8 hours. Then after 24 and 36, 48 and 60 hours. Make notes!
    7: dare to experiment, but don't change to much (i.e. # of drops and adding ingredients) between experiments you wish to compare.

For some inspiration for perfumes based on your oils, see my blog with formulas perfume.sparla.com;

Happy perfuming!
    Please visit my blog for a listing of all my free formulas

… and try to get hold of some

- ISO E SUPER
    -HEDIONE
    and
    - some ALDEHYDE

you will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by jsparla View Post
    I think you are able to create nice scents with these ingredients, but it won't have aspects found in perfumes, like a nice developing curve from top through heart to base notes; and amplifying aspects and sparkles, that come typically with the use of aroma chemicals.

I might have some suggestions and easy steps to follow for you:

1: it will take time, there are no shortcuts.
    2: no shortcuts! ;-)
    3: dilute your ingredients to 10% (10% oil, 90% perfumers alcohol); this will be far easier to experiment with in small trials
    4: start making 2 and 3 ingredient diluted-drop-based experiments (like 1 drop patchouli, 3 drops bergamot, 1 drop orange; and 1 drop patchouli, 5 drops bergamot and 2 drops orange and compare) And substitute patchouli with musk or cederwood in previous experiment and compare. And add a drop of Black pepper to all these 6 experiments and compare.
    5: compare and evaluate your fresh brew after 5 minutes, 1 hour, 8 hours, 24 hours and 48 hours: make notes, lots of notes, what you think you smell; whats good and bad in each stage
    6: compare and evaluate the matured brews (after some 3 to 7 days) on a blotter strip directly, after 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 3 hour, 5 hours and 8 hours. Then after 24 and 36, 48 and 60 hours. Make notes!
    7: dare to experiment, but don't change to much (i.e. # of drops and adding ingredients) between experiments you wish to compare.

For some inspiration for perfumes based on your oils, see my blog with formulas perfume.sparla.com;

Happy perfuming!
    Thank you so much!

I thought to do 12% Oils, 72% Alcohol(96%) and 16% Water.
    So it will be total of about 70% alcohol.
    I understood that with water the perfume will be remain longer on the body.
    What do you think?

And does have a formula with the oils I have in your blog?
    (I didn't find)

Basenotes Plus

You need to buy Dihydromyrcenol, if you want the fresh aspect commonly found in Men's scents.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Basenotes Junkie

Thank you so much!

I thought to do 12% Oils, 72% Alcohol(96%) and 16% Water.
    So it will be total of about 70% alcohol.
    I understood that with water the perfume will be remain longer on the body.
    What do you think?

And does have a formula with the oils I have in your blog?
    (I didn't find)
    Hi, GGGHHH, and Welcome!

I think you need to not add water. It will cause solubility issues, and will not add longevity. Read the stickies up top if you haven't already.

What Cedarwood do you have? Atlas and Virginian smell vastly different. Also your collection, although a little smaller, resembles mine. I think we're in the same boat. I've realised I'm not going to recreate the commercial stuff with these things so I'm not trying to. I just want to make nice smelling things with the resources I have. I might investigate some of the synthetics mentioned in this thread though.

In my limited experience, i can say timbersilk can be easily used for a woody- clean base. I then suggest to look for cool water and fougere in the bn diy database, as a lot of useful suggestions from experienced people are already there and migth better answer your need.

Hello, GGGHHH!
    I am a newbie as well. I started out buying essential oils trying to imitate a particular scent, got hooked, and my collection has grown to include aromachemicals. But it started with essential oils and absolutes.
    I tried to use vodka and water: oils didn't dissolve. Same with straight vodka. My best results have been with "everclear".
    I suggest reading the sticky that has a list of aromachems and then looking them up to see what they smell like.
    Another that seems to be along the lines of what I think you're looking for (in addition to those mentioned) off the top of my head...
    Cedramber.
    Happy tinkering and hope that helps!
    John P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk