Code of Conduct

Default YSL La Nuit De L'Homme reformulation

My grandmother just bought a bottle of YSLLNDL at Sephora, and I am wondering if it is a reformulation. I want the original and I do not want to be disappointed. Plus I don't want my grandmothers money to be wasted. Can I still get an original formulation in department stores, or am I out of luck? And if it is a reformulation, can I go back into Sephora and trade it in for another fragrance?

Default Re: YSL La Nuit De L'Homme reformulation

Yes La Nuit has been reformulated, it happened in 2015 I believe, someone correct me if I am wrong. In my opinion, and I'm sure many others, don't try to hunt for the older formulation as it is quite expensive and not all that different from the current formulation. Use the money for experiencing other scents!
    There isn't anything better than smelling good and being complimented on how good you smell!

"We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News
    "If you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you might miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller
    Currently wearing: Geir by Geir Ness

Unlikely - you may find some 2014 versions but you would have to look at every box and try and find 62L or 38L batch. Best bet of finding older batches(2011 -2013) is smaller stores but it is now very unlikey that you will find first formulation (4 digit batch code 2009 - 2011).

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & B˙zios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by YoungFragranceLover10 View Post
    Can I still get an original formulation in department stores, or am I out of luck?
    Maybe on Ebay if you are lucky.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Maybe on Ebay if you are lucky.
    But prepare to pay a lot for it!

Thank you for the reply! So can I go back to Macy's(it turns out it was Macy's btw), return it, and get another fragrance. It is a gift set too.

Basenotes Junkie

You cannot get the original formulation in stores but you can probably hunt for the previous formulation to what is out now. The previous formulation occurred at some point after 4/15. My 4/15 bottle looks and smells identical to my 2013 bottle.

Thank you for the reply! So can I go back to Macy's(it turns out it was Macy's btw), return it, and get another fragrance. It is a gift set too.
    If you haven't opened it I am sure you can return it. But why return it?
    There isn't anything better than smelling good and being complimented on how good you smell!

"We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News
    "If you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you might miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller
    Currently wearing: Geir by Geir Ness

Yup, you can return it, Macy's will take it.

I can get two la nuit de l'homme at my sears, for about about 70$ CAD with an employee discount..
    one is a 2009 demo 70% used
    one is a 2011 demo 85% used

I was wondering if I should do it. I'm just scared it was on the counter for too long (light damage)

Well I opened it but I think I can still return it. I am thinking about returning it if it does not last long and does not smell the same to the original. I do not want her money to be wasted.

Banned

Gift sets sell less than normal bottles, so you have better chances of it being an older version...

Type the code of your bottle at checkcosmetic.com or checkfresh.com to find the production date of your fragrance...

On a side note, older bottles and newer bottles of La Nuit, they all smell the same...

A friend of mine made me aware of the reformulation saying that batches after 2014 were basically "hot trash". That was his words but I'm not sure how severe the issue is. The main problem with the new formulation was performance/longevity as it still does smell similar (although not identical) to the pre-reform batches. I bought a bottle in 2012 and it has amazing projection and lasting power so I was quite shocked to hear some people who were new to the scent claiming it's a garbage fragrance with poor performance. The bottles from 2009-2011 have 4 digit batch codes as those have mentioned. Those seem to be the most potent with heavy "cardamom bomb" notes. The subsequent batches from 2012-2013 stayed pretty consistent with the previous batches. It's estimated that bottles that were produced in late 2014-2015 were where the major issues started happening with performance.

I have a small decant of a 2011 version of this YSL LNDL. I am only using it sparingly after a liberal trial period comparison with the reformulated sample from the store. IMO, the 2011 version is a bit more 'dense' in the scent (best description I have for it) with better sillage and better longevity, although the scent is the same.

IMO, if this were one of my faves, then I would have definitely sprung to pay the big bucks for a full bottle of the original version. However, this one to me is just 'good' but not great. So, I won't be spending the big bucks. There are some people who 'love' this fragrance. FWIW, women responded with unsolicited compliments to both the old version and the reformulated one in a two-day back-to-back trial of these scents when passing them on the sidewalk.
    Last edited by tspencer; 24th October 2016 at 10:24 PM.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed