Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
o
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

Default Re: In search of my favourite oud

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the five above.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Member

Oud Cashmere Mood

My, does this fill the room. Longevity and projection are fantastic - in both good and bad. My wife was commenting that this is filling our whole apartment and I had applied this (in my opinion lightly) on the street, an hour or so earlier. Worth noting is that I had no idea I was leaving such a trail.

Personally I like this more than she does. It is a bit one dimensional, in that it does not seem to develop all that much through the wearing. There is a bit of a smokes feel to it, and oud has that medicinal undertone - but this is far less than when I get the bottle for the first time, for the first spray. In general, in all of these ouds that medicinal start seems to fade off some after letting these sit and be used a little.

I don’t get much vanilla in it, and the scent seems quite dry. I find this quite harsh to the nose. That said, it does bring front oud.

Oud Velvet Mood

Velvet mood has that same medicinal start and that oud base which is this time warmer and more tamed. Some spiciness comes front as well, in an interesting combination. I can imagine the inspiration behind this one, as the scent seems to turn softer, velvety, as it progresses. After a while it feels like a warm blanket one could wrap into - which also inspires the use on a little colder days. This also feels a little more formal, older feeling fragrance, compared to many Creeds for example. Overall, Velvet Mood seems more approachable than Cashemere. But with both, they are sure to divide opinions.

Oud Silk Mood

Oud and rose, another variation of this. Compared to Cashmere and Velvet, Silk Mood is definitely more of a people pleaser - or at least wife pleaser. Immediate top notes are medicinal again, but they move aside rather quickly, leaving

This reminds me of a palace, or a library, of the old. I feel the rose is more prominent than with Rojas’ scents, but there are definite similarities too. Not that they are the same, no, I find the differences substantial - for one, the citrus notes are not present here. The composition is not light by any means, it is warm, radiating. I also get some faint recollections from Amouage Lyric Man, even if this is different - perhaps it’s the prominent rose that dominates with oud. The rest seem to just elevate this pair, smoothing out the fragrance.

Overall, I really, really like this one myself.

Oud Satin Mood

Another take on rose and oud. This one is a progression from Silk mood a bit in the same ways as Velvet was from Cashmere - this time there is some vanilla softening the combination of what was in Silk. This one is sweeter, less identifiable notes than before. Rose is there, our is there, but there is a new twist to it. This is warm, comforting, like a cup of hot chocolate. There is also something I find powdery, which I find pleasing.

In some ways this starts to drift more and more away from oud, even if this remains i the territory, even if a bit barely. That said, despite feminine feel in this, I quite like this take as well.

Oud

Oud starts very medicinal, even more so than the others here - and this is after having been using these for a while now. In others, this note has been tamed down after some weeks, but here it remains strong.

Our seems to sit closer to the skin, and seems to me mostly consist of the old notes. Spices smooth out things for sure, but they remain in the background. Some have said to smell smoke in this, but that avoids me. Instead, I get something very light, woody notes. Some resins too.

While not bad, I find it hard to get excited about this. I might need to get back to this later, perhaps I change my mind, perhaps I find something more that I am not detecting now.

Overall

In some ways, I am split. Silk and Satin are smooth, easy options that simply smell good without being a challenge and seem easy pleasers. On the other hand, Cashmere is quite an experience, and strong one at that. My personal favourite of these is Silk with its pronounced rose, but something in Cashmere keeps drawing me back to it with it’s brutality.
    Currently wearing: Amber Aoud by Roja Dove

Thank's for the update!

A nice oud-range indeed. Cashmere is quite something, isn't it, I love it!

Basenotes Junkie

Great summary BlueTide. Captured the gist of the MFK Oud collection. They anchor my oud selections.

Default In search of my favourite oud

Found new love . Killian pearl oud !! Exclusive for boutique in Doha Qatar.
    What a beauty . So different compare to other killian offer. Projection and longevity is excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mustafa911; 8th January 2017 at 07:50 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTide View Post
    Oud

Oud starts very medicinal, even more so than the others here - and this is after having been using these for a while now. In others, this note has been tamed down after some weeks, but here it remains strong.

Our seems to sit closer to the skin, and seems to me mostly consist of the old notes. Spices smooth out things for sure, but they remain in the background. Some have said to smell smoke in this, but that avoids me. Instead, I get something very light, woody notes. Some resins too.

While not bad, I find it hard to get excited about this. I might need to get back to this later, perhaps I change my mind, perhaps I find something more that I am not detecting now.
    Interesting, I get a lemon woody sweetness. As it dries down its becomes a more balsamic saffron. No medicinal note at all.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Interesting read! I know this is a male subforum but I enjoyed reading and I'd like to share my thoughts!
    Out of these on your list I found Oud Satin Mood to be the nicest but yes, it's pretty safe.
    But why limit yourself only on these?
    Maybe you could get your nose on Kilian's ouds if you can find samples. If anything than for the experience and comparison. It would be interesting to read your impressions.
    You did very well so far with follow ups and updates. It's good for future reference and might be very useful and helpful to other members in similar search.
    Mi sagli smo glave, u strahu da biće jo gore...i biće, jer sagli smo glave...a ljubav ivi...
    Currently wearing: Beyond Love by By Kilian

The oudiest Roja Aoud is H Aoud if you can get your nose on that.

Cashmere and Velvet are both lovely.
    Prices Rreduced!UK Only:UK Only:Roja/Creed/ASAQ/Cartier/Agar Aura/Ensar Oud

My UK Swapsies!

Current favourites:
    Frederic Malle The Night
    Roja Dove Semi Bespoke 14
    Roja Dove Roja (Haute Luxe)
    Kilian Eternal Oud
    Chanel Cuir de Russie Parfum
    Roja Dove Great Britain
    Nabeel Spirit of Dubai Baz

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    Not on your list but a fantastic scent!
    It is! I used to have this one and it is lovely. But not in the same category, despite the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa911 View Post
    Found new love . Killian pearl oud !! Exclusive for boutique in Doha Qatar.
    What a beauty . So different compare to other killian offer. Projection and longevity is excellent
    Oh, I make a note to try these at some point. Haven't ventured too deep into Killian before, perhaps it would be time.

Quote Originally Posted by jhericurls View Post
    Interesting, I get a lemon woody sweetness. As it dries down its becomes a more balsamic saffron. No medicinal note at all.
    For some reason, this might well be that my nose becomes anosmic to this or it is so short lived on me that it's gone before I get too far with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernona View Post
    But why limit yourself only on these?
    Maybe you could get your nose on Kilian's ouds if you can find samples. If anything than for the experience and comparison. It would be interesting to read your impressions.
    You did very well so far with follow ups and updates. It's good for future reference and might be very useful and helpful to other members in similar search.
    Good suggestions, thanks! I limited myself to these based on sampling and testing out a number of others and these had stood out. Killian has slipped my radar, though, so I might look into it too at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbloke View Post
    The oudiest Roja Aoud is H Aoud if you can get your nose on that.
    Haha, perhaps I shall - the next time I have a layover in London, perhaps.
    Currently wearing: Amber Aoud by Roja Dove