Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 21 of 21
o
  1. #1

    Default What do aldehydes smell like?

    Hi,

    I have heard a lot about aldehydes and cannot understand what do they smell like. I have read things like: sparkly, bubbly, soapy, and fatty.

    How do aldehydes actually smell?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    298,570

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    To me, they do smell a bit soapy. That's the best way I can describe it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    They come in different types -- fresh-floral, green-floral- woody floral, aromatic, etc

    Generally they sharpen or brighten up a fragrance

  4. #4

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    Aldehydes are a class of carbon based chemicals which all share a common functional group ( a bit of the molecule's structure is the same in all Aldehydes). Many Aldehydes are used in Perfumery; Vanillin (main chemical in Vanilla), Cinnamic Aldehyde (Cinnamon and Cassia), Cumin Aldehyde (Cumin) and Citral (Lemongrass oil and Lemon oils) are all Aldehydes, and all smell very different. When we refer to an "Aldehydic fragrance" we are usually talking about a sub-set of Aldehydes called "Straight Chain Aldehydes". Those most common found in Perfumery are Aldehyde C8 (8 carbon atoms in a row), Aldehyde C9, C10, two sorts of C11 and two sorts of C12. As the chain lengthens so the smell changes. Aldehyde C8 smells fatty, and reminiscent of Mandarin, C10 smells more sour and reminiscent of Lemon, the longer chained Aldehydes smell more floral. They all have a fatty quality, the longer the chain the more metallic and "fizzy' they become.

  5. #5

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    Thanks.

    I think I can understand the "fatty soap" reference. There are some perfumes that smell like a traditional soap we have here, "yellow soap". which is probably some kind of local version of Castille soap (the brands that make it all belong to vegetable oil or olive oil companies), and I do like them.

    I am still confused on the "metallic and fizzy" part. Do you mean like bubbly white wine, that tickles in the nose?

    Sorry, English is not my first language.

  6. #6

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    Quote Originally Posted by theUntrainedNose View Post
    Thanks.
    I am still confused on the "metallic and fizzy" part. Do you mean like bubbly white wine, that tickles in the nose?
    .
    Not literally. They give a fragrance a certain radiance or effervescence

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    21,784

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    The easiest way to check the stereotypical aldehyde is to smell the first 10 seconds of Chanel No 5. Most of what one gets is aldehydes. But as david was saying there are several aldehydes and they all have slightly different odor profiles.

    cacio

  8. #8

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    Quote Originally Posted by theUntrainedNose View Post
    Thanks.

    I think I can understand the "fatty soap" reference. There are some perfumes that smell like a traditional soap we have here, "yellow soap". which is probably some kind of local version of Castille soap (the brands that make it all belong to vegetable oil or olive oil companies), and I do like them.

    I am still confused on the "metallic and fizzy" part. Do you mean like bubbly white wine, that tickles in the nose?

    Sorry, English is not my first language.
    "Metallic" like the smell of metal; cold and hard. "Fizzy" like sharp and sour, and yes, it tickles the nose. As has been mentioned Chanel 5 is the original Aldehydic fragrance. Others you could look at are White Linen, and Chanel 22. Pretty well all soap fragrances will contain some aldehydes as they work so well in soap. If you smell enough "aldehydic" products I think you will get the idea.

  9. #9
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    43,243

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    Metallic vibe
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26148387.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26148387-7393.jpg"> Carven L'Eau Intense by Carven</a></div>

  10. #10

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    Thanks.

    Interestingly, I have smelled Chanel 22 before and according to my notes found both "Marseille soap" and "metallic" notes.

    Have to go on an aldehyde perfume smelling expedition My nose seems to be identifying them after all.

  11. #11

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    Quote Originally Posted by theUntrainedNose View Post
    Thanks.

    Interestingly, I have smelled Chanel 22 before and according to my notes found both "Marseille soap" and "metallic" notes.

    Have to go on an aldehyde perfume smelling expedition My nose seems to be identifying them after all.
    Well done.

  12. #12

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    On me, it smells like soap and blood -- like you cut yourself shaving and tried to clean it up. Chanel No 5 does not play well with my skin, nor does any perfume listing "aldehydes" as a note.

  13. #13

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    To me it smells like those perfumes your old aunt used to wear. Comme des Garcons 2 was the biggest offender for me, it smells like an old lady.

  14. #14
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Aldehydes are a class of carbon based chemicals which all share a common functional group ( a bit of the molecule's structure is the same in all Aldehydes). Many Aldehydes are used in Perfumery; Vanillin (main chemical in Vanilla), Cinnamic Aldehyde (Cinnamon and Cassia), Cumin Aldehyde (Cumin) and Citral (Lemongrass oil and Lemon oils) are all Aldehydes, and all smell very different. When we refer to an "Aldehydic fragrance" we are usually talking about a sub-set of Aldehydes called "Straight Chain Aldehydes". Those most common found in Perfumery are Aldehyde C8 (8 carbon atoms in a row), Aldehyde C9, C10, two sorts of C11 and two sorts of C12. As the chain lengthens so the smell changes. Aldehyde C8 smells fatty, and reminiscent of Mandarin, C10 smells more sour and reminiscent of Lemon, the longer chained Aldehydes smell more floral. They all have a fatty quality, the longer the chain the more metallic and "fizzy' they become.
    I know this on an older thread, but David can you explain a little how these aldehydes were created? My understanding is that they are not necessarily naturally derived. I'm totally ignorant in this area... Do you literally take a natural occurring molecule and put it through a chemical reaction to change the structure? If so, how do you isolate them?

    Forgive my ignorance, I work in finance haha

  15. #15

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Camerynn View Post
    I know this on an older thread, but David can you explain a little how these aldehydes were created? My understanding is that they are not necessarily naturally derived. I'm totally ignorant in this area... Do you literally take a natural occurring molecule and put it through a chemical reaction to change the structure? If so, how do you isolate them?

    Forgive my ignorance, I work in finance haha
    David no longer posts much on basenotes. Perhaps you could ask this question in the DIY section.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

  16. #16
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post
    David no longer posts much on basenotes. Perhaps you could ask this question in the DIY section.
    Thank you

  17. #17

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    Soapy champagne, just popped, fizzy-metallicky, is about the best I can give you in the way of a description
    "I mean, this world without a leopard? Who'd wanna live in it?" - Diana Vreeland

  18. #18

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    Well of course it depends what aldehyde exactly. Aldehydes often smell good, kind of sweet and pleasant, yet maybe a tad bit harsh at the same time.
    Think of the smell of artificial cherry, or artificial green apple, or cucumber fragrance.
    They're all kind of pungently sweet and sharp.

    However, normally when referring to aldehydes in fragrances there are more specific aldehydes being referred to that give a sparkling effect, perking up a natural perfume to make it feel more like something in a department store. Kind of adds a bright sharpness on the surface.

  19. #19

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    Quote Originally Posted by parker25mv View Post
    Well of course it depends what aldehyde exactly. Aldehydes often smell good, kind of sweet and pleasant, yet maybe a tad bit harsh at the same time.
    Think of the smell of artificial cherry, or artificial green apple, or cucumber fragrance.
    They're all kind of pungently sweet and sharp.

    However, normally when referring to aldehydes in fragrances there are more specific aldehydes being referred to that give a sparkling effect, perking up a natural perfume to make it feel more like something in a department store. Kind of adds a bright sharpness on the surface.
    Green apple! That's hitting the nail in the head for me: a green apple fizz is what I generally get out of aldehydes. Thank you for that!
    "I mean, this world without a leopard? Who'd wanna live in it?" - Diana Vreeland

  20. #20
    Basenotes Junkie painted_klown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    668

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    The easiest way to check the stereotypical aldehyde is to smell the first 10 seconds of Chanel No 5. Most of what one gets is aldehydes. But as david was saying there are several aldehydes and they all have slightly different odor profiles.

    cacio
    Came in to post Chanel 5, as that it what I think of when I think aldehydes. Having said that, I was not aware that there were so many different aldehyde smells. I will have to keep my nose out for more andehyde smelling fragrances. I quite like the smell personally. My GF...not so much...LOL!

  21. #21

    Default Re: What do aldehydes smell like?

    I love the smell of CDG2, I suspect it's the aldehydes because I get this chemical syrupy inky metallic vibe, but I don't get the "old lady" "old school" other people refer to. And my mom's and grandmom's perfumes didn't smell like that, I would have remembered.
    What other aldehyde-based perfumes smell like CDG2?




Similar Threads

  1. what is the smell of aldehydes?
    By voidvader in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 5th March 2013, 09:17 AM
  2. What do aldehydes smell like and other newby questions.
    By silkenpaw in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 7th July 2010, 04:19 PM
  3. Aldehydes
    By Night in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3rd November 2008, 08:51 PM
  4. Aldehydes - what are they and what do they really smell like?
    By snifferdog in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 25th April 2008, 12:47 AM
  5. aldehydes?
    By jdnba in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2nd October 2007, 07:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000