Code of Conduct

Default Dior Prive Leather Oud vs Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie?

For those that have sampled both, how would you compare Dior's Leather Oud to Montale's Aoud Cuir d'Arabie?
    Thanks!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Dior Prive Leather Oud vs Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie?

Own and love them both. Leather Oud is a skankier leather with the civet. Aoud Cuir D'Arabie for me is mellower, and also has that tobacco note lacking in the Dior IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks Hednic. Interesting - will need to eventually get them side-by-side. I remember liking them both at different times, but testers do eventually dry out. Haven't been so interested in the heavier Rose/Aoud combinations, preferring these leather/oud combos or something more like By Kilian's Pure Oud (despite the classic band-aid reference). This finally changed recently after trying `ilm by Kemi Blending Magic. Experiencing the full metamorphosis, starting with the skankier barnyard 'stance' (which I personally don't object to) and then changing into the beautiful indescribable oud was indeed truly magical (without too much rose). Managed to find a smaller size online, which will hopefully satisfy the latest fix!

To my nose, the Montale has a sharper woody oud base. The Dior piles up on more animalic stuff and heavy labdanum. Both great.
    cacio

Definitely need to re-visit. Have just ordered a decant of Dior's and was kind of hoping they would be similar enough to each other. Montale will need to be next on my list - thanks Cacio.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Own and love them both. Leather Oud is a skankier leather with the civet. Aoud Cuir D'Arabie for me is mellower, and also has that tobacco note lacking in the Dior IMO.
    I concur, I love the opening of Aoud Cuir D'Arabie but the base isn't that great. I much prefer Leather Oud all around, if I had the money I'd go for the Dior without hesitation.

I think that ACdA is misunderstood (originally by myself also) - it really has a challenging opening but within 10 minutes it changes into a pretty tame kind of thing. Leather Oud on the other hand stays pretty challenging/skanky all the way through

Very different to me.

The Montale is probably the biggest ever let down fragrance for me (I bought blind). It has a mildly animalic leather opening but after 15 minutes it is a smooth fruity leather and not much else. Longevity is well below average for me.

The Dior OTOH is a beautiful, rich, civet fueled 'not-quite beast' with excellent longevity.

Basenotes Institution JiveHippo's Avatar

Montale has a plastic, synthetic vibe. Dior is better, but I like both.
    Currently wearing: Aequalis by Mauboussin

The Montale has a stronger fecal note, while the Dior just smells like a barn (hot dirty leather - not as much of a fecal aspect).
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Leather Oud has been toned down quite a bit, the skank/civet all but absent and it's nowhere near as rich as it was. I would think fo the two, Montale's offering is the more challenging one to wear now, but I still prefer Leather Oud.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Bracken Man by Amouage

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Leather Oud has been toned down quite a bit, the skank/civet all but absent and it's nowhere near as rich as it was.
    Yeah - Read your comment in the other thread. What a shame that happened.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Leather Oud has been toned down quite a bit, the skank/civet all but absent and it's nowhere near as rich as it was. I would think fo the two, Montale's offering is the more challenging one to wear now, but I still prefer Leather Oud.

The best part for me was the skankiness of this one.. It's really bad news..