Code of Conduct

Default Carlos Santana for Men: Are Any of You Still Wearing This?

When I joined Basenotes in 2010, Carlos Santana for Men was really popular. It seemed to come up all the time in threads and as a recommended cinnamon fragrance. It's completely inexpensive, so it was also always popping up in "best bargains" threads.

But until today when I saw that one member is wearing it as his SOTD, I haven't seen or heard about Carlos Santana for Men in a long time on Basenotes.

Is this one that needs to be brought to light once again? Somehow I never bought it or tried it. I think its popularity waned just as I hit my buying phase. But it's cheap. I think I'm going to order it today. How bad could a spicy apple cinnamon and vanilla fragrance be? I'm not expecting 5-star quality or anything here, but it's gotta be at least kind of good.

Anyway, this is just one of those fragrances, like Caron's 3rd Man, or Czech & Speake 88, whose name used to get tossed around a lot, but now makes nary a blip on our olfactive radar.

Do any of you still wear this?

EDIT:

Well, I guess it's not cheap anymore. It looks like this has been discontinued for a while. Can't find it for less than $70 for a NEW 3.4oz. bottle.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 3rd November 2016 at 04:36 PM.
    I'm currently selling bottles of the rare cult classic--Keith Urban Phoenix. Send me a private message if you're interested!
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cologne by Chanel

Default Re: Carlos Santana for Men: Are Any of You Still Wearing This?

It was considered a "good cheapo" way back when. I'd say that if you see the notes and don't expect "niche quality" you should be satisfied. It does have it's share of lavender but otherwise it's really good for the prices it sold for 8 or so years ago.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Please post your thoughts when you get it. I've been curious about this one.

I've never been somebody who cares about designer vs niche or expensive vs cheap. I adore Hanae Mori H.M., which I picked up for $15. To me, if it smells good it IS good.

I'm convinced there are a bunch of under the radar cheapies that are great. Heck, I own a few. The problem with cheapies is, they're hard to find samples of, especially since they're not at typical fragrance counters with testers.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Rose 31
    Petit Matin
    Royal Oud
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis
    Currently wearing: H.M. by Hanae Mori

I personally was very disappointed with this, found it exceptionally synthetic (nose burning almost)... Sold it Locally.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

I sampled this one years ago, and was kinda fond of it at the time. But the price increase makes it a hard one to consider at this point in time. Still.... it was a pretty good scent for a celebrity type scent.

Basenotes Plus

It's my SOTD, so maybe you saw my status update. I enjoyed it, but I do like sweeter/modern fragrances. Does not have big projection but I'm still smelling it on my skin 9 hours after applying. Emptied my sample, had about 1/2 ml left.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    I personally was very disappointed with this
    Likewise, however, only tried it once if I recall correctly.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Lol, I actually had this as my SOTD earlier in the week, I have the aftershave balm too I used.

It is a cheapy, and you have to be careful not to put too much on, but it is enjoyable. A sweet, soapy, mojito accord I think? I find it somewhat similar to Guerlain Homme.

I disagree about lack of projection.
    Last edited by Mattybumpkin; 3rd November 2016 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Please post your thoughts when you get it. I've been curious about this one.

I've never been somebody who cares about designer vs niche or expensive vs cheap. I adore Hanae Mori H.M., which I picked up for $15. To me, if it smells good it IS good.

I'm convinced there are a bunch of under the radar cheapies that are great. Heck, I own a few. The problem with cheapies is, they're hard to find samples of, especially since they're not at typical fragrance counters with testers.

I don't think I'll be getting it. I didn't know it was discontinued. And now you can only find it on eBay for about $70. So...fuhgettaboutit!
    I'm currently selling bottles of the rare cult classic--Keith Urban Phoenix. Send me a private message if you're interested!
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cologne by Chanel

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Oh, yeah. That's definitely a pass.

I remember when I joined BN, I kept seeing Lucky #6 being touted as a great cheapie. I picked it up in a swap and it's not bad, it it is what you'd expect it to be. It smells like a fig based Liz Claiborne men's scent.

Under the radar scents seem to come and go in waves here. It's nothing. It's discovered. It's raved about. It's hyped!!! It's bought by a bunch who discover it's just another passing basenotes hype. Aaaaaand then it's forgotten. Some of the hypes are huge, others are small, but the pattern is almost always the same.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Rose 31
    Petit Matin
    Royal Oud
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis
    Currently wearing: H.M. by Hanae Mori

Ironically I was looking for it recently, though I hated it back in the day. Anyways, ya prices are way too high now. I found it to be too powdery back then. Sold mine, regretting it now, as I am when I sold Magnetism for 20 bucks.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Oh, yeah. That's definitely a pass.

I remember when I joined BN, I kept seeing Lucky #6 being touted as a great cheapie. I picked it up in a swap and it's not bad, it it is what you'd expect it to be. It smells like a fig based Liz Claiborne men's scent.

Under the radar scents seem to come and go in waves here. It's nothing. It's discovered. It's raved about. It's hyped!!! It's bought by a bunch who discover it's just another passing basenotes hype. Aaaaaand then it's forgotten. Some of the hypes are huge, others are small, but the pattern is almost always the same.
    Lucky 6 smells like Fahrenheit to me, with a blueberry top note. Boring ass dry down though kills this one.

I kind of wish these cheap designer bargain bin frags got more hype like they used to. You'd buy them and either be out 10 bucks (instead of 100-300 like now), or you'd have a great new addition to your wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    I personally was very disappointed with this, found it exceptionally synthetic (nose burning almost)... Sold it Locally.
    This is pretty much how I felt about Carlos Santana for Men. Was surprised at how much I disliked it and soon swapped it off.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !