Code of Conduct

Default Ralph Lauren Safari.....

.....I think I'm going to really like this one. I've been smelling the sample off of a paper towel for about an hour now and it's a very, very nice fragrance. I'm surprised it doesn't get more discussion considering it's a fragrance that is fairly easy to find. I picked up the sample at Sephora in JC Penney last week. I was just sniffing around and my nose was heavily fatigued and I was about to leave the store with only the Bvlgari Man in Black sample when in a random grab-and-spray on cards I got this one under my nose and believed in my near-scent-blindness that something smelled good about this one. So I had the girl make me up a sample of it.

Fast forward to today, when going through my littany of samples from various sources I came across this one. I sprayed it on a small tear-off square paper towel piece, as is a common method for me to get a sense of a fragrance in a vacuum, when my nose is calm and most ready to entertain a fragrance without yet applying it to my skin for a full wear. The paper towel method allows me to be at a distance intermittently and come back to re-smell it and confirm my impressions.

This is a lightly sweet, moderately spicy, ever-so-lightly floral and the mix is all tied together gracefully with a eucalyptus that is clearly there but barely recognizable in the fragrant chorus of competing notes.

I haven't put this on my skin yet, but, wow, this one is a delight that is easy on my sensitive nose, has a good punch of oil concentration without being too much and the artificial chemical aromatics have been kept to a minimum (or my nasal tissue would have inflamed).

Out of the fragrances I've tried and own, so far, off the paper, this Ralph Lauren fragrance is one of the best I've smelled. Refined, well blended, inoffensive, masculine and as good as any more expensive Chanel fragrance I've tested, while costing well less than Chanel's lineup.

I highly recommend this one as a very high quality office fragrance option for men of all ages, even younger men in their 20's and I recommend this as a casual winter fragrance for men 28+ years old. If you're a 35+ year old gentleman who wears a polo shirt on a spring day, this fragrance will be very fitting.

This fragrance may have an air of maturity, but I wouldn't rule out some younger men pulling this one off, especially in a suit or professional setting. I could even consider this one as a date fragrance in the winter for grown men, not teens or college kids. I wouldn't recommend this one for the club unless you are dressed with a suit coat.

Due to its spicy leanings, I'm fairly certain this will do very well on most people's skin. I want to wear the sample on my skin soon and will re-evaluate. This one smells very, very nice. I'm impressed and think this is going into my collection before the more expensive Pour Monsieur.

I find this intriguing because I never cared for Ralph Lauren's Polo, but Safari is very, very nice and I keep wanting to smell it. So, I recommend it highly for the scent alone so far. Will revisit this after more evaluation of the longevity and sillage during a full wear.
    Last edited by tspencer; 10th November 2016 at 02:58 AM.

Default Re: Ralph Lauren Safari.....

It's an excellent fragrance, and easily one of the nicest bottles in the designer world. Glad I have a bottle.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Le Vetiver Itasca (2010)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    but Safari is very, very nice and I keep wanting to smell it.
    I'll bet you'll be a future owner of a bottle.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I own it, admittedly I purchased it mainly for the bottle and old time's sake. But every now'n again I give it a go. I wouldn't say it's the smoothest of combination of notes - but when it settles it's quite addictive. It's also good for when you want a break from the current fashion.
    Currently wearing: 1681 by Carthusia

Thanks for the feedback. you really made me interested to check it out soon.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Looking for Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens (split, decant, bottle)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you enjoy Safari, I'd give Pasha by Cartier a try too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing this month:

Creeds : MI, Himalaya, GIT, Aventus, Royal Water, VIW, Original Vetiver, Royal Mayfair, Erolfa
    Dior : Eau Sauvage Extreme
    Parfum D'Empire : Eau de Gloire
    Lubin : Idole
    D'Orsay : Chevalier
    Chanels : AHEB, BdC EDP
    Penhaligon Juniper Sling
    Hermes : Concentre d'Orange Verte, Terre, Jardin sur le Nil
    Boucheron Pour Homme
    YSL : Pour Homme
    Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    It's an excellent fragrance, and easily one of the nicest bottles in the designer world. Glad I have a bottle.
    One of my favorites from the 90's. Kind of ironic, but Ralph Lauren produced two nearly 15 years apart that dominated two different decades for me in terms of what I wore and loved - Polo in the 80's and Safari in the 90's. And I guess you could add a third, Polo Blue, a decade after Safari...after the turn of the century in the 00's...that I wore quite a bit as well. Those are the only 3 RL scents I've owned, though, nothing since.

Rich, dense vanillic fragrance, craftily rendered - at least from a personal viewpoint, one of the best RL classic fragrances

Owned a bottle years ago. Nice fragrance indeed.

Banned

Was always intrigued by this.. I just wondered, what is the current version like compared to vintage? And how is the performance?

Banned

Was always intrigued by this.. I just wondered, what is the current version like compared to vintage? And how is the performance? Might buy a bottle. It's pretty inexpensive over here anyways. Like the OP I never was a Polo fan.. I don't like Polo Blue either. The only Ralph Lauren I actually do like is Polo Sport.. and that said, I'd probably take Aqua Quorum before it. I wanted to find a Ralph Lauren that I like. I was tempted by their Oud EdP.. Safari could be a less risky buy as it's much cheaper.

It's the last great fragrance they have in their lineup, as the reformulation is actually really close to the vintage, just an hour or two lacking in the longevity dept (6 hrs for the current vs 7-8 in the vintage).

Overall I would say even the vintage should be stronger, though.
    I can provide decants of anything I post about!

My old bottle from the late 90s that I got when I was younger, i still have, with a drop of juice in the bottom that I don't spray. I keep the bottle on display by my candles. It's the only empty bottle I have ever saved, because it's too beautiful to get rid of.

Anyways.. I can't smell it from the sprayer anymore, and don't wanna waste what's left.. but from what I can remember, in comparison to my current bottle that I got about a year ago. I can't tell any difference. So say from late 90s to current.. likely the same stuff. Prior to late 90's not sure if reformulated, but it's likely to have been at some point, just like everything else.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Le Vetiver Itasca (2010)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

Lucky to have three vintage bottles and would have it in my personal top 10

When evaluating so far, this one doesn't seem to be something that is reformulated. The reason is that the modern chemical ingredients in various fragrances hurt my nose or cause me to lose my sense of smell from extended exposure. Safari isn't doing that to me nose. I'm fully able to enjoy it. I'm sure my nose isn't sensitive to every chemical and some might be okay for me, but there are quite a few newer fragrances that wreak havoc on my nose. This one was very tolerable and I will likely be reaching for it on those days where my nose isn't feeling 100%.

This is on a short list of fragrances that my nose is not sensitive to. Most of the fragrances I own are still very tough on my nose, but I love the way they smell, so I put up with the minor sensitivity. Spice & Wood is my favorite scent, but has a particularly 'sharp' note that can hurt my sinuses a bit with prolonged exposure. Safari is likely one of the best scents that don't irritate me at all and will likely be inoffensive to others who encounter the sillage.

It's my opinion that companies may be using chemicals that 'amplify' the projection of their fragrance or certain notes (and it's not just the 'designers' that are guilty of this, even high end ones do this) Those are the ingredients that I bet are causing my nose physical discomfort. Thierry Mugler's A-Men lineup are just chemical torture for me. Immediately upon smelling a card sprayed by any of the A-Men line sends my nose into scent-blindness. For me, Safari seems to not be utilizing these 'amplifiers'. If they are, the perfumer has turned the volume way-down on these additives to a tolerable point for me.

It's a rare fragrance that I can enjoy with full comfort and fully like the notes at play as a team. Ordering up a bottle tonight.

Banned

I have since ordered a bottle tonight also based on some of the feedback in the thread.. Hopefully it lives up to expectations!

Basenotes Junkie allkindsofwatches1's Avatar

Ralph Lauren Safari is a great fragrance. I was fortunate to find a nice Cosmair formulation gift set. It smells wonderful [emoji4].