Code of Conduct

Question Vintage Chanel Pour Monsieur Questions

I am interested in trying to get a vintage bottle of CPM. I understand it should be labeled as either Chanel for Men or Gentlemen's Cologne. What color should I be looking for? I see some that are brown and some that are yellow. I read in a thread that the earliest ought to be brown (though perfumes often turn brown from improper storage). I included a few pictures.

Default Re: Vintage Chanel Pour Monsieur Questions

There are earlier versions of Pour Monsieur (before Concentree), which are labeled as "Pour Monsieur"... and the earlier incarnation appears to be "Cologne" (most likely influenced by the taxonomy of the day... men wear cologne not eau de toilette -- lol).

Yikes, stay away from that brown liquid. It may not be turned, but guaranteed some notes degradation has occurred. Not worth the risk.

Frankly, I find this fragrance to be "fragile", as I've had about 3 vintage bottles and sold them all off. Two people gave me feedback of finding "some notes diminished"... but still acceptable. I'd say shelve the risk and just stick with the later version.
    Price Reductions! Click HERE for sales of: YSL KOUROS (vintage), CHANEL Antaeus A/S (vintage), Hermes Equipage, CHANEL Egoiste (vintage), Carven Vetiver, and many others!
    Currently wearing: Salvador by Salvador Dali

I have some brown liquid/splash bottle as well, and yes, if you are a "top notes person" this may be unsatisfactory. I also agree that with this one you should look for a sealed spray bottle (and non-brown liquid) if you are buying blind, just based upon a photo (though it's possible the photo makes the liquid appear darker than it really is).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 16th November 2016 at 01:06 AM.

I got some tiny samples of vintage PM and PMC from epapsiou and was able to directly compare the vintage Pour Monsieur Concentre to the modern Pour Monsieur EDP.

I don't know if I'm advanced enough at this hobby yet to make a clear distinction between the two. Both smell highly similar to me unless my nose is smelling them up close to the skin.

So far, it is my opinion that Chanel, if they reforumulated, did so gracefully and maintained the intended results of the original blend. I suppose others may have a more advanced opinion than my own, but my nose usually cannot tolerate over-chemicalized fragrances but my nose tolerates Chanel's modern offerings with no issue. Every individual person's results may vary, and perhaps one day I will want to revisit the vintage and see if someone at that future time would be so kind as to provide some tiny samples again.

Thanks again to epapsiou, who sent me those small samples. I enjoyed comparing and contrasting and even trying some for the first time!

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    I am interested in trying to get a vintage bottle of CPM. I understand it should be labeled as either Chanel for Men or Gentlemen's Cologne. What color should I be looking for? I see some that are brown and some that are yellow.
    I've never seen a brown bottle of Pour Monsieur. All should be light to medium yellow or yellow-green...

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Max Magnus View Post
    I've never seen a brown bottle of Pour Monsieur.
    Nor have I.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Is there a difference between the yellow and green juice? I take it the yellow is older?

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    There are earlier versions of Pour Monsieur (before Concentree), which are labeled as "Pour Monsieur"... and the earlier incarnation appears to be "Cologne" (most likely influenced by the taxonomy of the day... men wear cologne not eau de toilette -- lol).

Yikes, stay away from that brown liquid. It may not be turned, but guaranteed some notes degradation has occurred. Not worth the risk.

Frankly, I find this fragrance to be "fragile", as I've had about 3 vintage bottles and sold them all off. Two people gave me feedback of finding "some notes diminished"... but still acceptable. I'd say shelve the risk and just stick with the later version.
    Really love this pragmatic advice.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Is there a difference between the yellow and green juice? I take it the yellow is older?
    Correct, yellow is older. Here's a picture including a bottle of Chanel for Men to compare the color.

IMG_0464.jpg

Basenotes Member

Last edited by Canadianne; 7th March 2017 at 05:50 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Canadianne View Post
    I own several vintage bottles of Chanel Pour Monsieur/For Men. The really old bottles from the 50s and 60s tend to have brown juice. I'm not sure, but I think this might be part of the aroma chemical aging process - or a spoiled fragrance. I've never taken the risk.

All my bottles have a deep yellow colour. I've smelled earlier 'green' versions, and they are slightly different as is the most recent formulation. My favourite are the bottles from the 1970s/80s. Lots of oakmoss, and the hespardic top notes are almost always in tact, albeit not as sparkling as a fresh bottle. The long sweet-bitter-mossy drydown more than makes up for the first 15-20 seconds.
    I can agree with you.
    Chanel's Exclusifs with the changes made from EDT to EDP have introduced a generic base that homogenizes in the direction of Mediocrity.
    I waiting for a "Chanel Monsieur" flavoured laundry detergent for men.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: No. 18 by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Canadianne View Post
    I own several vintage bottles of Chanel Pour Monsieur/For Men. The really old bottles from the 50s and 60s tend to have brown juice. I'm not sure, but I think this might be part of the aroma chemical aging process - or a spoiled fragrance. I've never taken the risk.

All my bottles have a deep yellow colour. I've smelled earlier 'green' versions, and they are slightly different as is the most recent formulation. My favourite are the bottles from the 1970s/80s. Lots of oakmoss, and the hespardic top notes are almost always in tact, albeit not as sparkling as a fresh bottle. The long sweet-bitter-mossy drydown more than makes up for the first 15-20 seconds.
    "I likes" your taste, fellow Canadian!!!