Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default Vintage La Nuit De L'homme VS 2014 Reformulation

    So I did a comparison with the 2010 batch that I just received and the 2014 I already owned. The 2010 juice is way darker than the 2014 (2010= Dark Brown, almost makes the bottle look black 2014= Light brown) The 2010 is heavier/darker and has a richer/more of a complete smell to it. The 2010 also projects slightly better than the 2014 but there's not much of a huge difference. I just sprayed it so I wouldn't be able to tell, but the 2010 seems like it will have more longevity, maybe about 10 hours, where as the 2014 has about 6-7 hours.

    Now as far as my opinion goes:

    I would say the 2014 is still good but is just a light version of the vintage. It's still capable of great compliments as I have received a few with it before I got the vintage & to be honest I would be happy with either one. If you never owned the vintage, your not missing out on a WHOLE lot; but I would say it is better. All the 2014 version is to me is a toned down version with less amplified notes but still smells really good; It still projects and lasts for a good amount of time, you will definitely get noticed within the first 2 hours. The 2010 is the same exact scent, just with extra detail to it and slightly better performance(Once again, not a huge difference).
    The 2010 is more on the peppery side and less sweet and the 2014 is more sweet and slightly less peppery.

    Now after experiencing both, do I think it's worth paying $200+ on ebay for the vintage? No; unless your a die hard fragrance collector and must have this in your collection for it to feel complete, No. Any formulation before 2014 will get the job done and have you smelling great.

    The 100 ML bottle retails for $90, IMO I don't think you should spend more than $150 MAX for this formulation and even that's pushing it. Luckily someone on here sold me a new bottle for a very good price and I'm able to own it. But it's not worth the niche prices people are putting on it; trust me, the formulations are not that far off from each other.


    Final rating:
    2010: 10/10
    2014: 8.5/10

    2014 was a good year for La Nuit De L'homme, and somewhere between 2012-2014 it was reformulated for a second time (2011 the first). I can't speak for the 3rd reformulation (2015 & 2016) but I wouldn't want it watered down any more than how it was in '14, that would ruin the fragrance and from what I've seen that's what occurred on the 3rd reform.

    Just an experience I wanted to share

  2. #2

    Default Re: Vintage La Nuit De L'homme VS 2014 Reformulation

    Great review I own 2010 like you and 2011 and I agree, the asking price on ebay for vintage is overblown... I don't know compared to the new ones, just original and first reform.

    Glad you liked the bottle!

  3. #3
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    265,179

    Default Re: Vintage La Nuit De L'homme VS 2014 Reformulation

    Thanks for sharing. Personally content owning a bottle of the original.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Vintage La Nuit De L'homme VS 2014 Reformulation

    I have a 2011 La Nuit de L'homme & smells great in my opinion. I have dry skin so most frags do not project or last very long on me.
    I saw a bottle of the 2014 at the store yesterday & it looked super light. I didn't pay attention to what the production month was.
    But there was a YT video posted comparing the 2012-2015 batches & the 2012-2014's appear to be dark...

  5. #5

    JakeStiebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Centerville, MN
    Posts
    2,888

    Default Re: Vintage La Nuit De L'homme VS 2014 Reformulation

    Just ordered one from fragrancenet.com. I'm assuming it will be a version from recent years. Interested to compare it to my experiences with my 2010 bottle that is empty.
    There isn't anything better than smelling good and being complimented on how good you smell!

    "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News
    "If you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you might miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller
    Currently wearing: Geir by Geir Ness

  6. #6

    Default Re: Vintage La Nuit De L'homme VS 2014 Reformulation

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeStiebs View Post
    Just ordered one from fragrancenet.com. I'm assuming it will be a version from recent years. Interested to compare it to my experiences with my 2010 bottle that is empty.
    One lucky new Basenoter purchased one 6 months ago and he posted here saying he got an old batch 2011 and asking if he should return it hahaha. Maybe you are that lucky and get a 2011 too!

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Dependent
    techt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    South Lake Tahoe
    Posts
    3,236

    Default Re: Vintage La Nuit De L'homme VS 2014 Reformulation

    Great review, hopefully any coming new reformulations doesn't ruin a great cologne.
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

  8. #8

    Default Re: Vintage La Nuit De L'homme VS 2014 Reformulation

    Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    Great review, hopefully any coming new reformulations doesn't ruin a great cologne.
    Ir is already ruined, that is why vintage are going for over $200 on eBay.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Basenotes Member Kaizen1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: Vintage La Nuit De L'homme VS 2014 Reformulation

    Quote Originally Posted by BleuDeChanel View Post
    So I did a comparison with the 2010 batch that I just received and the 2014 I already owned. The 2010 juice is way darker than the 2014 (2010= Dark Brown, almost makes the bottle look black 2014= Light brown) The 2010 is heavier/darker and has a richer/more of a complete smell to it. The 2010 also projects slightly better than the 2014 but there's not much of a huge difference. I just sprayed it so I wouldn't be able to tell, but the 2010 seems like it will have more longevity, maybe about 10 hours, where as the 2014 has about 6-7 hours.

    Now as far as my opinion goes:

    I would say the 2014 is still good but is just a light version of the vintage. It's still capable of great compliments as I have received a few with it before I got the vintage & to be honest I would be happy with either one. If you never owned the vintage, your not missing out on a WHOLE lot; but I would say it is better. All the 2014 version is to me is a toned down version with less amplified notes but still smells really good; It still projects and lasts for a good amount of time, you will definitely get noticed within the first 2 hours. The 2010 is the same exact scent, just with extra detail to it and slightly better performance(Once again, not a huge difference).
    The 2010 is more on the peppery side and less sweet and the 2014 is more sweet and slightly less peppery.

    Now after experiencing both, do I think it's worth paying $200+ on ebay for the vintage? No; unless your a die hard fragrance collector and must have this in your collection for it to feel complete, No. Any formulation before 2014 will get the job done and have you smelling great.

    The 100 ML bottle retails for $90, IMO I don't think you should spend more than $150 MAX for this formulation and even that's pushing it. Luckily someone on here sold me a new bottle for a very good price and I'm able to own it. But it's not worth the niche prices people are putting on it; trust me, the formulations are not that far off from each other.


    Final rating:
    2010: 10/10
    2014: 8.5/10

    2014 was a good year for La Nuit De L'homme, and somewhere between 2012-2014 it was reformulated for a second time (2011 the first). I can't speak for the 3rd reformulation (2015 & 2016) but I wouldn't want it watered down any more than how it was in '14, that would ruin the fragrance and from what I've seen that's what occurred on the 3rd reform.

    Just an experience I wanted to share
    I'm a latecomer to this thread, but I wanted to say THANKS for the very thoughtful comparison between the old and new formulations of La Nuit de L'Homme. Very helpful information for a scentaholic like me. ;^D

    Kaizen1972




Similar Threads

  1. YSL La Nuit De L'Homme reformulation
    By YoungFragranceLover10 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 24th October 2016, 10:19 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28th September 2016, 09:27 PM
  3. 2015 La Nuit L'Homme Reformulation Info
    By Sabianman1 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st September 2016, 07:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000