Code of Conduct
o

Default Pino Silvestre Extra Gentle Shaving Soap

A local chain (Chemist warehouse) had lots of tubs of Pino Silvestre shaving soap discounted at A$6.99 (US$5.25) for a 5oz tub, so I bought two out of idle curiosity.

The soap itself is typical of the Italian soft soaps like Cella and Proraso (i.e. still hard, but not as hard as UK soaps). I'm not that fond of Cella, but think Proraso better - using my criterion of smallest number of micro-nicks per shave, as detected after applying alum.
    The trick with these italian soaps is to use less water in your brush than you would with regular soaps, else you wind up with heaps of low density lather, rather than the denser lather which works better.

Anyhow, today i forgot about that trick and accidentally whipped up heaps of lather, so i used it and shaved - not expecting a good result. The blade seemed to drag slightly more than with regular soaps and creams - so I wasn't expecting a good result.

Anyhow, I finshed the shave, rinsed off the residue and applied the alum.
    Astoundingly, I didn't have one alum sting/micro-nick.

I am impressed. You may want to check it out to see if it works as well on you.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 10th December 2016 at 11:46 PM.

Default Re: Pino Sylvestre Extra Gentle Shaving Soap

Thanks for the recommendation- as quite a few local online retailers (and not just the "grey market" ones, but also the online divisions/outlets of established fragrance and cosmetics retailers as well) do have most of or even the entire Pino Silvestre grooming product line in stock anyway, and sometimes even the flankers as well, might look it up and even place an order, gratefully reminding myself of and thanking for this suggestion

Default Re: Pino Silvestre Extra Gentle Shaving Soap

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation- as quite a few local online retailers (and not just the "grey market" ones, but also the online divisions/outlets of established fragrance and cosmetics retailers as well) do have most of or even the entire Pino Silvestre grooming product line in stock anyway, and sometimes even the flankers as well, might look it up and even place an order, gratefully reminding myself of and thanking for this suggestion
    No problem. If you get it, it will be interesting to compare performance.

I've seen Pino Silvestri scents here and in Italy forever, but until the other day, I was totally unaware that they also made the Pino Silvestri tub of shave soap, the canned shaving lather, and the canned aftershave balm - until i saw them in that shop a few days back.

I just didn't think that the makers of what are now budget scents generally did that.
    Regards,
    Renato.
    Last edited by Renato; 10th December 2016 at 11:47 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

Somewhat off topic, but I'm a recent convert to shaving oils. I've been using them for 6 months and I love them. I've been shaving for nearly 30 years, and I've tried all manner of creams, foams, lotions, potions etc. Spent hundreds of dollars on badger brushes etc.

IMO, shaving oils are the best. The one I use is Somersets Extra Sensitive Shaving Oil.

PS : there's no "y" in the Italian alphabet, so it's not Sylvestre.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I just didn't think that the makers of what are now budget scents generally did that.
    Regards,
    Renato.
    Nor did I. Thanks for the info.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    Somewhat off topic, but I'm a recent convert to shaving oils. I've been using them for 6 months and I love them. I've been shaving for nearly 30 years, and I've tried all manner of creams, foams, lotions, potions etc. Spent hundreds of dollars on badger brushes etc.

IMO, shaving oils are the best. The one I use is Somersets Extra Sensitive Shaving Oil.

PS : there's no "y" in the Italian alphabet, so it's not Sylvestre.
    Thanks. I have amended the incorrect spelling in all my posts.

As for shaving oils, I am not surprised that they work for you.
    I posted a thread about them earlier this year.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/426...yone-like-them

As you read it, you'll see that initially I thought they were terrible for the actual shaving experience, but further down you'll see my conversion where I had to admit that despite the awful shaving experience - I got zero micro-nicks/alum stings when using them. Which is consistent with your experience.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Junkie

Thanks Renato.

I wasn't aware of the existence of that thread. Doesn't sound like shaving oils are too popular.

I work from home, so I only shave 2 days per week (Wednesdays and Saturdays), more frequently if required for meetings etc. I always shave in the shower, and prior to hopping in the shower I use an electric razor to shave away most of the growth. Then in the shower, I use the oils and a cartridge razor for a really close, final shave. I am surprised at the negativity surrounding oils. As I stated, they work the best of many products I have tried over the decades.

- - - Updated - - -

I should also add that i have recently started using the Razormate blade cleaner and sharpener, which also helps keeping blades in good condition, and extending their life.

Thanks Renato.

I wasn't aware of the existence of that thread. Doesn't sound like shaving oils are too popular.

I work from home, so I only shave 2 days per week (Wednesdays and Saturdays), more frequently if required for meetings etc. I always shave in the shower, and prior to hopping in the shower I use an electric razor to shave away most of the growth. Then in the shower, I use the oils and a cartridge razor for a really close, final shave. I am surprised at the negativity surrounding oils. As I stated, they work the best of many products I have tried over the decades.

- - - Updated - - -

I should also add that i have recently started using the Razormate blade cleaner and sharpener, which also helps keeping blades in good condition, and extending their life.
    Hi Paul,
    When using electric razors, I find washing my face with Sapoderm (or any other skin drying-out type soap) before hand, waiting for my face to dry, and then using the electric razor - leads to a fairly close shave, and it extended the life of the cutters from six months to three years.

I've never shaved in the shower, I can' figure out how you guys do that properly.

I did have a thread on the Razorpit blade cleaner earlier this year, but there weren't too many responses.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/426...Razor-Cleaners
    Regards,
    Renato
    t

Thank for sharing that. I really love to read such a nice article.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Hi Paul,
    When using electric razors, I find washing my face with Sapoderm (or any other skin drying-out type soap) before hand, waiting for my face to dry, and then using the electric razor - leads to a fairly close shave, and it extended the life of the cutters from six months to three years.

I've never shaved in the shower, I can' figure out how you guys do that properly.

I did have a thread on the Razorpit blade cleaner earlier this year, but there weren't too many responses.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/426...Razor-Cleaners
    Regards,
    Renato
    t
    Hi Renato. Thanks for those tips. I read through that Razorpit thread. Not bad.

Shaving in the shower is pretty straight forward. You need a mirror (duh) out of the flow of the water, and you need a way of keeping your face out of the water flow. I keep a face cloth with me to pat dry my face as required. My razor is kept in a cup above the shower. When I shave, I have set it up in such a way that my back faces the shower head / water flow. I have tried those steam-resistant mirrors, but they didn't work, so I just use a normal mirror, hung on a hook. I apply the oils, wait a couple of minutes, then shave in the usual way, rinsing the blades regularly and keeping my face out of the water. Works well for me.

Hi Renato. Thanks for those tips. I read through that Razorpit thread. Not bad.

Shaving in the shower is pretty straight forward. You need a mirror (duh) out of the flow of the water, and you need a way of keeping your face out of the water flow. I keep a face cloth with me to pat dry my face as required. My razor is kept in a cup above the shower. When I shave, I have set it up in such a way that my back faces the shower head / water flow. I have tried those steam-resistant mirrors, but they didn't work, so I just use a normal mirror, hung on a hook. I apply the oils, wait a couple of minutes, then shave in the usual way, rinsing the blades regularly and keeping my face out of the water. Works well for me.
    Thanks Paul,
    I might try shaving in the shower one day - just to say I did it. i've got plenty of oils to choose from.
    Cheers,
    Renato